Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Luv Ya Blue

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I was poking around NFL.com and I came upon an article on the Luv Ya Blue era. I know there are plenty on this forum who weren't around at this time or were fans of other teams. This article does a good job of capturing the moment, with great quotes from Bum, Earl, and Dante. If you're an Oiler fan from the 70's, you'll want to sit back and enjoy the memories.

Here's something I did not know about Bum Phillips:
"Anyone running a version of the 3-4 defense in the modern NFL is Bum Phillips' offspring to some degree," SI.com analyst Doug Farrar wrote after Phillips' death in 2013. One of the best defensive minds of his era, Phillips not only popularized the 3-4 scheme but also gave University of Alabama legend Bear Bryant the idea for defensive-front “numbering,” such as one-technique, three-technique and five-technique.

hero_C.jpg

Reading this makes it sound like we were on the teams, but I meant to say that I was an Oiler fan and my Brother a Steeler fan. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Born an Oiler, ALWAYS an Oiler!!!

seemed pretty clear to me

Reading this makes it sound like we were on the teams, but I meant to say that I was an Oiler fan and my Brother a Steeler fan. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Oh, I thought you were Craig Bradshaw, former Oiler QB, and your brother was Terry. My extensive vault of Oiler trivia got the best of me.

It would be pretty cool to have Terry’s brother on the forum, though.

Oh, I thought you were Craig Bradshaw, former Oiler QB, and your brother was Terry. My extensive vault of Oiler trivia got the best of me.

It would be pretty cool to have Terry’s brother on the forum, though.

After reading your response, it made me wonder if you thought I meant literally...but man do I wish I was on the team. Later, my brother, who was 325lbs give or take and worked at Pioneer Steel there in Houston, was asked to walk on try out for the Oilers. Nothing against the Oilers, but he politely turned them down, although I could not for the life of me figure out why he would turn that opportunity down. He didn’t think he was tough enough. I looked at all 325 of him and thought, ‘yeah right!’. He’s a big shot in the oil business now out of Austin so I guess he did ok.

Those were great times. I was in my early 20's and my parents had season tickets. I still have the blue and white pom poms they gave out.

My favorite Bum'ism: One day the conditioning coach came to Bum and told him that their rookie 1st round running back (Earl Campbell) couldn't finish the 1 mile run. Bum replied, "then we won't give him the ball on 3rd and a mile."

Funny. I wasn't into football back then, but obviously my dad was. He bought me an Oilers coat (loved that coat) & my brother a Steelers coat.

I think my brother was the favorite

I moved to Houston in'81 which was right about the end of the Phillips regime I believe ?
Phillips isn't in the HOF is he ? Seems a shame.

I was 16 years old when I went to the Astrodome for the first Luv Ya Blue rally after the Oilers lost to the Steelers. I went with my friends family and gradually found myself standing next to a really hot woman cheering like crazy and then suddenly she had her hands on my shoulders and bouncing her assets on back and head......see, she had moved herself to stand on the seat with me up front. Next thing I noticed, she had her arms around me and I was getting pulled into those assets. My 16 year old mind had already said.....duck Bum and the Oilers b/c my mind was in another world.

Before anyone thinks something wonderful happened to this 16 year old, my friends Mom was looking at me with the rest of family b/c I'm pretty certain I had each on those assets on both sides of my ears. By the way, my buddies Mom was pretty dang hot as well. Anyhow, t sounded like champagne cork when I pulled loose of those assets and I'm pretty certain she might've felt quite guilty for what had transpired. Anyhow, it was an interesting talk on the way home and my buddy just kept looking at me and mouthing, "you luck mutha ducker". Great times.

Where is @Luvyablue the poster?

Whatever happened to him?

He was controversial and entertaining to me.

Good question. His last post was August 2016, but last visited in 2018.

I met him and his son at a Blue Crew tailgate. Nice guy. Big fella', but very nice to meet. :howdy:

Good question. His last post was August 2016, but last visited in 2018.

I met him and his son at a Blue Crew tailgate. Nice guy. Big fella', but very nice to meet. :howdy:

Yeah, he was like a preacher of some sort at one point. I remember him being pretty religious. He'd be a fun addition to the NSZ these days. So would Dex.

Yep I wish he would come back, we could use a preacher to mediate our wacky ness some times,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well sometimes he took his religious beliefs into discussions where he got real aggressive about it. He was banned at one point and was able to come back. He was never consistently in here, but I always enjoyed his banter when he was.

Is Luv Ya Blue trade marked? Is there any reason it can't be applied to Steel Blue?

Back