Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Luck, Mahomes, or Watson

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He has the few times he did
Well I didn't mean he has literally not thrown to anybody but Nuk, that would be silly, but be honest, once Fuller and then Coutee went down was their anyone else that he could really target and trust them to get the job done? Especially since the TEs spent more time blocking than catching.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Reid is still running the same offense he did with Alex Smith, it just looks better because he has a QB with some balls
Also, when Smith was the QB, Reid integrated many of Urban Meyers’ spread concepts into his offense. Reid even watched tapes on Smith’s college games to tailor the offense.

With Mahomes, there are numerous articles about how Reid has integrated many of the Texas Tech Air Raid concepts into his offense. It has really helped Mahomes.

Last year with little practice time, we heard similar statements about O’Brien, Watson and the Clemson offense. This year, with an off-season, the offense looks similar to what would be tailored for Savage or Osweiler.

I don’t know what happened this year. All I know is Reid is a better offensive coach than O’Brien and is open to integrating different things from college and even other NFL teams.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Well I didn't mean he has literally not thrown to anybody but Nuk, that would be silly, but be honest, once Fuller and then Coutee went down was their anyone else that he could really target and trust them to get the job done? Especially since the TEs spent more time blocking than catching.
With all 3 Watson, Hopkins, and Fuller on the field the Texans average 30.8 points a game which would have been good for 4th in the league this year, or 1st last year. To bad they've only played 11 out of a possible 32 games together. Oh and that's behind one of the leagues worst lines the past 2 years
Yes, that is what I meant

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'd take Texan_Bill with Reid over Ob with either of the above. Ob is part of the problem , not the solution.
I heard that ten years ago that Texan Bill would have crowds all over the Blue Crew parking lot watching him throw 60 to 65 yard bombs to the kids in the parking lot once he'd get drunk. I never saw footage of it, but I heard his performances were legendary and that he could easily match many the arm strength of many NFL QB's. You might be on to something.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If you are a NFL GM and you were to start a franchise right now who would take as your QB as your 1st RD pick?
If they stay healthy, probably Andrew Luck.
Luck has the benefit of several seasons under his belt so looks the smartest - however, he was pretty good in his first few years. But, he doesn't have the wheels of Watson. Still, when he is healthy, a very accomplished and dangerous QB.
Mahomes is putting runs on the board at a phenomenal rate. Has a very good arm like Luck and also runs well. Doesn't have as much tape as Luck but for now, Luck just noses him out.
Watson has great scrambling ability and terrific accuracy when on the run but, MUST learn to get rid of the ball faster more often. Yes, his line was not the best, but when any line has to keep the pocket clean for an extended period, the chances are they will underperform.
I have them rated in that order, but there is not much in it.
For example, how many teams that will be in the market for a QB in the upcoming draft would hesitate if he is on the board at their pick or even move up to snare him?

Sonny

TexSon Proud
NCAA slavery huh...

What school did you go to? Did you go on a full ride scholarship? How much is the tuition per year?

As others said, no real point in trying to have this discussion - since you KNOW you are right - even though your opinion is completely wrong.

Any way -

- NCAA players should be paid at some level (given the amount of cash the NCAA and schools make from their effort) scholarship/tuition should be part of that package.
- Would agree with an NFL development league, some kids don't want to go to college, don't take advantage of the opportunity while there - it shouldn't be the deciding factor if they have the talent.
- No, they shouldn't come straight from high school to the NFL - outside the handful that have been named, very few could survive the physical punishment of the NFL (e.g. not strong enough, need a program to add some bulk, strength, endurance etc.)

We can still discuss - regardless if certain 'know it all's' think they already have it figured out.
Your name is spot on as you tell me I'm wrong and in the same breath try to explain how things should be.. but aren't which makes my point. Enjoy the hypocrisy.
What a joke. :bravo:

Sonny

TexSon Proud
NCAA slavery huh...

What school did you go to? Did you go on a full ride scholarship? How much is the tuition per year?

As others said, no real point in trying to have this discussion - since you KNOW you are right - even though your opinion is completely wrong.

Any way -

- NCAA players should be paid at some level (given the amount of cash the NCAA and schools make from their effort) scholarship/tuition should be part of that package.
- Would agree with an NFL development league, some kids don't want to go to college, don't take advantage of the opportunity while there - it shouldn't be the deciding factor if they have the talent.
- No, they shouldn't come straight from high school to the NFL - outside the handful that have been named, very few could survive the physical punishment of the NFL (e.g. not strong enough, need a program to add some bulk, strength, endurance etc.)

We can still discuss - regardless if certain 'know it all's' think they already have it figured out.
Your name is spot on as you tell me I'm wrong and in the same breath try to explain how things should be, but aren't which makes my point. Enjoy the hypocrisy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Your name is spot on as you tell me I'm wrong and in the same breath try to explain how things should be, but aren't which makes my point. Enjoy the hypocrisy.
No its not hypocrisy, you are saying that players in college are slaves, your words not mine, and Fuzzy is pointing out that is not the case. Players do get something in return for what they do for the college, tuition, dorms, etc. and in exchange they agree to play a sport for that particular college. Now you may think that they are not properly reimbursed for the amount of effort that goes into their part but that is not the same as slavery. Part of it also is the players don't take advantage of what the college gives them. They believe they will just be NFL stars and never need anything else. Also, fyi, that is a very slippery topic because by that way of thinking why does a football player make more than a firefighter? One puts their life on the line everyday and rushes into places everyone else is trying to run away from and the other.......plays with a giant, brown lemon.

Overall though I think the biggest problem people had with your post, or at least I did, was the attitude of I'm right and your wrong and your stupid if you think different than me. Kind of rubs people the wrong way, especially on a discussion board. You said you were half a bottle in last time, ok fine, its a poor excuse but whatever, yet you still are not addressing any of the points anyone made and now you are attacking the poster. In other words, not really helping your case and leading me to believe your "half a bottle in" posts were how you really feel.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Your name is spot on as you tell me I'm wrong and in the same breath try to explain how things should be.. but aren't which makes my point. Enjoy the hypocrisy.
Really didn't figure I needed to put the sarcasm deal on something pretty obvious - in your case, I guess it's required to spell it out... "since you KNOW you are right - even though your opinion is completely wrong" <--- this was sarcasm

My 'opinion' is no more valid than your 'opinion' was - but mine does conflict with yours for the points I stated.

Next time I'll be sure to use several smileys and sign-carrying emoji's so you recognize it.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
Really didn't figure I needed to put the sarcasm deal on something pretty obvious - in your case, I guess it's required to spell it out... "since you KNOW you are right - even though your opinion is completely wrong" <--- this was sarcasm

My 'opinion' is no more valid than your 'opinion' was - but mine does conflict with yours for the points I stated.

Next time I'll be sure to use several smileys and sign-carrying emoji's so you recognize it.
You're full of something alright but it's not sarcasm.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
No its not hypocrisy, you are saying that players in college are slaves, your words not mine, and Fuzzy is pointing out that is not the case. Players do get something in return for what they do for the college, tuition, dorms, etc. and in exchange they agree to play a sport for that particular college. Now you may think that they are not properly reimbursed for the amount of effort that goes into their part but that is not the same as slavery. Part of it also is the players don't take advantage of what the college gives them. They believe they will just be NFL stars and never need anything else. Also, fyi, that is a very slippery topic because by that way of thinking why does a football player make more than a firefighter? One puts their life on the line everyday and rushes into places everyone else is trying to run away from and the other.......plays with a giant, brown lemon.

Overall though I think the biggest problem people had with your post, or at least I did, was the attitude of I'm right and your wrong and your stupid if you think different than me. Kind of rubs people the wrong way, especially on a discussion board. You said you were half a bottle in last time, ok fine, its a poor excuse but whatever, yet you still are not addressing any of the points anyone made and now you are attacking the poster. In other words, not really helping your case and leading me to believe your "half a bottle in" posts were how you really feel.
I never insinuated anyone else was stupid. If you feel that way when reading my stuff that would fall on your own insecurities.

The reason I didn't go back and debate with anyone is because arguing with strangers on the net is actually fuckin stupid so, I'll pass.

Half in a bottle referenced how firm my assertions were and I shouldn't and normally would not have bothered had I not been BUT once again.. you people that weren't in the system shouldn't 'really' have an opinion ( sans ignorance )as you don't know what you're talking about.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
By the way Mav.. you really need to work on the your vs. you're choices.

Now, that may have been insinuating stupidity.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I never insinuated anyone else was stupid. If you feel that way when reading my stuff that would fall on your own insecurities.

The reason I didn't go back and debate with anyone is because arguing with strangers on the net is actually fuckin stupid so, I'll pass.

Half in a bottle referenced how firm my assertions were and I shouldn't and normally would not have bothered had I not been BUT once again.. you people that weren't in the system shouldn't 'really' have an opinion ( sans ignorance )as you don't know what you're talking about.
Insecurities have absolutely nothing to do with it. It's about your statements of how others would be wrong and then later basically telling someone they weren't worth replying to. Also if you think "arguing with strangers" is so stupid then I wonder what you are even doing on a discussion board.

That's not even touching on your assumption that no one else here ever played football in college because clearly if they did then they would agree with you right.

By the way Mav.. you really need to work on the your vs. you're choices.

Now, that may have been insinuating stupidity.
Please enlighten me.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
There've been several pro players over the years comment that they think guys should wait before joining the league.

So if they feel like anyone who hasn't played at their level shouldn't have an opinion on the subject..

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
They would.

Enlighten yourself.. I'm not here to teach basic grammar.
Apparently you're not here to do anything except state your opinion, attack anyone that disagrees with you and then say arguing on the internet is stupid.

And here I thought there wouldn't be anything entertaining till the draft.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
Anyone and everyone believes that only their opinion matters.
The difference on this subject is I actually know what I'm talking about.

I'm not attacking you.. I'm pointing out your flaws so, technically, I'm trying to help you.

And yes, arguing on the net is absolutely moronic.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Anyone and everyone believes that only their opinion matters.
The difference on this subject is I actually know what I'm talking about.

I'm not attacking you.. I'm pointing out your flaws so, technically, I'm trying to help you.

And yes, arguing on the net is absolutely moronic.
Well while I thank you for the help, and yes telling me to "enlighten myself" was very helpful" you still have not addressed any thing anyone has said. You also still seem to be under the strange idea that you are the only person that knows what they are talking about. Do you really feel that everyone that has ever played college football agrees with you? I'm asking that question seriously do you really believe that you speak for all of them?

Sonny

TexSon Proud
No.. there have been several disillusioned 'student athletes'.

Almost on the same level that you are.. especially if you think I'm to continue a discourse with someone like yourself.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Almost on the same level that you are.. especially if you think I'm to continue a discourse with someone like yourself.
You know what, I agree, this isn't worth continuing. You are so arrogant you refuse to not only acknowledge that someone else maybe right or that they may have a point you refuse to even acknowledge that they can speak on a subject or you say that are disillusioned all because they do not agree with you. This isn't even worth the time it takes to type any more. As I said before, moving on to the next circus.

Shishkabob

All Pro

So let me get this right, unless you played college ball primarily D1 your opinion doesn't matter and if they did play D1 college ball, but feel differently than yourself they are disillusioned? Lol so no matter what you're right, anyone else who disagrees is wrong? Cool, glad to know your are as ignorant and illogical as a 5 year old...... worse part is I agree with your stance, I think the NCAA exploits student athletes, I wouldn't compare it to slavery, these kids get something in return even if the value to the revenue they bring in isn't equal and it's voluntary. They aren't getting ripped from their mother's arms and auctioned off, they still have their freedom they can leave anytime they want, go out to eat, go hang out with friends, chose who they want their partner to be instead of forcibly having to mate with who their master tells them to, etc...

But you see the problem with how you take to arguing, is your "it's my way or nothing" stance. In a debate or argument you need to know both sides, and be open to both sides. Why? because the whole point of debating or arguing is to pull people over to your side or your way of thinking. Maybe not those you are arguing with, but to those around who are listening or reading it. Your "I'm right, you're wrong no matter what" closed minded mentality just turns neutral parties away because then you just come off as the closed minded ignorant fool even if you do happen to be right...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Will Fuller missed 9 games and was still the 2nd leading receiver in both catches (32) and yards (503), 198 yards more than Griffin who was 3rd. The 2 shiny new TEs didn't have as many yards combined as Fuller.

Nuk had 33% of all catches on the Texans, highest rate in the NFL this year. Michael Thomas was the only other player above 30% and that's only because he had an insane catch rate of 85%.

So I'd say yeah, Nuk was pretty much all the Texans had going on in regards to receivers.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Will Fuller missed 9 games and was still the 2nd leading receiver in both catches (32) and yards (503), 198 yards more than Griffin who was 3rd. The 2 shiny new TEs didn't have as many yards combined as Fuller.

Nuk had 33% of all catches on the Texans, highest rate in the NFL this year. Michael Thomas was the only other player above 30% and that's only because he had an insane catch rate of 85%.

So I'd say yeah, Nuk was pretty much all the Texans had going on in regards to receivers.
I'd love to see a fast elusive receiver with good hands come on board to offset Coutee to create havoc in the slot and midfield.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Even with 100% health depth in still important. You need to be able to rotate guys in to get fresh legs in and keep others fresh longer.
Not saying it isn't still important, just pointing out its not as important as it would be if say your #2 & #3 WR's are lost for the majority of the season.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
So let me get this right, unless you played college ball primarily D1 your opinion doesn't matter and if they did play D1 college ball, but feel differently than yourself they are disillusioned? Lol so no matter what you're right, anyone else who disagrees is wrong? Cool, glad to know your are as ignorant and illogical as a 5 year old...... worse part is I agree with your stance, I think the NCAA exploits student athletes, I wouldn't compare it to slavery, these kids get something in return even if the value to the revenue they bring in isn't equal and it's voluntary. They aren't getting ripped from their mother's arms and auctioned off, they still have their freedom they can leave anytime they want, go out to eat, go hang out with friends, chose who they want their partner to be instead of forcibly having to mate with who their master tells them to, etc...

But you see the problem with how you take to arguing, is your "it's my way or nothing" stance. In a debate or argument you need to know both sides, and be open to both sides. Why? because the whole point of debating or arguing is to pull people over to your side or your way of thinking. Maybe not those you are arguing with, but to those around who are listening or reading it. Your "I'm right, you're wrong no matter what" closed minded mentality just turns neutral parties away because then you just come off as the closed minded ignorant fool even if you do happen to be right...
SMH.. I'm gonna say a couple things to this as I really dig being called a fool by a fool. I guess it takes one to know one.
I wonder if you people know what a simile is.?.
To anyone one of you mental giants that are focusing on the word 'slavery' and the verbatim definition of said word... you are really something else. Clearly it's not the true definition of slavery but let's look at the broad comparison.
Slaves were taught a few things ie. farming and what not and fed so that the masters could reap the benefits of their hard work without compensation.
'Student atletes' are taught things like economics, which is really funny if you understand why I chose that particular course to reference, and fed (well actually) so that the 'masters' could benefit from these kids to the tune of hundreds of millions without any compensation for said kids. Hmmm.. seems like a pretty good analogy to me.

I don't care if perfect strangers on the Internet whom were/are/remain once neutral decide to side with me or not. What do I care? Their acquiescence doesn't affect my opinion in the least so, you can love or hate me, agree or disagree.. I give zero fucks.

I am neither ignorant nor illogical and you comparing me to a 5 year old only points to your petulance.

I'm off to sleep now as it's clearly past my bedtime. Wanna come read me a story?

Last edited:

Sonny

TexSon Proud
As a lawyer ... you're really gonna justify semantics?
Or should I say, you're gonna justify semantics, as a lawyer.
Orrr.. I can see you justifying semantics, as you're a lawyer.

Either way.. calling someone a fool isn't name calling.. it's descriptive.
Had I called him a cock smoking bytch... then you could say I was name calling.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
Slippery slope, Cak.
He said I was ignorant and illogical.
Is that name name calling under the 'fool' title.
What about comparing me to a 5 y/o?
Each one of these are way off base (in my humble opinion) but still just descriptions and analogies.

Let em have the 1st Amendment .

Shishkabob

All Pro
Slippery slope, Cak.
He said I was ignorant and illogical.
Is that name name calling under the 'fool' title.
What about comparing me to a 5 y/o?
Each one of these are way off base (in my humble opinion) but still just descriptions and analogies.

Let em have the 1st Amendment .
I get where Cak's coming from though, he can't moderate on a case by case basis. So while posters like you and I are fine with the name calling, and insults others get butt hurt and take it to the extreme. If you really want to call me a name or insult me just send a pm, can't promise I'll ever read it since i never check those but I guess it gives you a chance to let me know what you think about me lol

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If only we had a method for one on one conversation between members.

It could be built into the software relatively easily. We'd probably want to give it a cryptic title though so folks won't over use it.

:thinking:

Something like "personal message" or "PM" for short.

I really don't have a dog in the race, but I'm running out of ways to bich about our HC

Sonny

TexSon Proud
Bob already beat ya to the punch with this innovation, Kyss.
That said.. I don't resort to name calling but if descriptive terms are being scrutinized I might need to be careful... as I now wonder if the word petulance almost got me the ban hammer.