Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lovie Smith Fired

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Given the line of questioning by the media, I take all that to mean he's trying to tell fans & media members that he's just as disappointed as they are & that he's all in. But really what was he supposed to say? Pull a Marshawn Lynch and "uh yeah, i'm just here so i don't get fined...but for the record i had nothing to do with this shitshow over the last 2 years that was all Cal".

Furthermore, this, overrides all of that.

He's telling you right there who makes the final call. We all know this, but some of us really just don't want to acknowledge that b/c of how stuck in the belief we are about how WE think it should go. The most important thing for the McNairs has ALWAYS been getting people in here who can work together & collaborate. That was daddy McNair's model & it appears to be Cal's as well.
Great post and so true.

Like I said Caserio wanted Gannon and Cal turned down Caserio's advice. Hopefully Gannon still wants to come to Kirby and Caserio finally gets his guy.

But make no mistake Cal makes the final call on the HC. Caserio just told us this.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
Great post and so true.

Like I said Caserio wanted Gannon and Cal turned down Caserio's advice. Hopefully Gannon still wants to come to Kirby and Caserio finally gets his guy.

But make no mistake Cal makes the final call on the HC. Caerio just told us this.
I was briefly in the Gannon camp but have been convinced otherwise, to go with a OC. If we go DC, bringing in an OC, and he is sucessful, he'll be lured away for a HC'ing position.

zshawn10

All Pro

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Gannon wanted to come here but caserio would not let him have his own guys.
I remember when this came up last time... the last two times. & it made sense to me. It's what I would do. Sort of. I would tell Cal if this team is ever going to be more than paper tigers, we've got to build a culture of winning & that starts with the coaching staff.

We can not be changing the entire coaching staff every time we make a HC/GM change. Houston needs to be a coaching factory. So much so that when one coach gets poached, we can & will promote from within.

Problem is you can't just "start" doing that. That staff that worked under Culley, Caserio's time should have been spent evaluating those coaches. determining which ones were good coaches & which ones weren't. Then when he fired Culley, he should have had a list of other coaches that needed to go & which ones needed to stay. Lovie's tenure, he should determine which ones should go & which ones should leave.

Whoever his next coach will be he needs to start determining which ones he wants to keep & which ones he's willing to let go. & try to keep the ones he wants to keep & which ones he wants to let go.

The model for this is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Reich is rumored to be Gannon's new OC, ZIMMER the new DC. I dont see them getting HC jobs anytime soon. They have very good track records as OC/DC.
I would love for you to be right. Gannon at HC with Reich and Zimmer as coordinators would be one heck of a staff. But Reich is already interviewing for a HC position with Carolina. I suspect he’ll be a HC again, if not this year then next.

Agree on Zimmer, but i’m not sure if he wont just outright retire. Plus I don’t know if his personality/style meshes with this new generation of players. Zimmer does not fit the mold of what Caserio was talking about in terms of communication and using all resources in the building as reasons Lovie did not fit.

Vikings veteran players and locker room leaders Eric Kendricks and Brian O'Neill both alluded to that this afternoon.
"I think from an overall standpoint, [you want] a culture where communication is put at the forefront and no matter what your role is on the staff, you having a voice and being able to communicate things that you think could help facilitate wins," Kendricks said. "I think just having that voice, no matter how big your role is, is important, to listen up and take each other's feelings into account. I don't think a fear-based organization is the way to go."

I remember when this came up last time... the last two times. & it made sense to me. It's what I would do. Sort of. I would tell Cal if this team is ever going to be more than paper tigers, we've got to build a culture of winning & that starts with the coaching staff.

We can not be changing the entire coaching staff every time we make a HC/GM change. Houston needs to be a coaching factory. So much so that when one coach gets poached, we can & will promote from within.

Problem is you can't just "start" doing that. That staff that worked under Culley, Caserio's time should have been spent evaluating those coaches. determining which ones were good coaches & which ones weren't. Then when he fired Culley, he should have had a list of other coaches that needed to go & which ones needed to stay. Lovie's tenure, he should determine which ones should go & which ones should leave.

Whoever his next coach will be he needs to start determining which ones he wants to keep & which ones he's willing to let go. & try to keep the ones he wants to keep & which ones he wants to let go.

The model for this is the Pittsburgh Steelers.
I don't know if Caserio is capable of identifying this. Everything you said was kinda done when Culley got fired in the keeping of Lovie and Pep. There were talks around here that when those 2 were hired for Culley's staff, they would be good teachers, etc. So when the coaching selection processed after Culley was fubar'd they were naturally promoted from within. I am in the camp that the HC hires/brings his own staff. Self preservation (job security) in the coaching realm is always a high priority so it's important to have good dynamics and similar philosophies within the staff. If you're trusting someone to be a HC, then you should trust him with his own assistants and if there is someone on the staff that the HC wants to retain, let that be his choice alone.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We can not be changing the entire coaching staff every time we make a HC/GM change.
We can if they aren’t the right people. I mean, if there’s a HC change it means he’s not a fit, correct? Why does that mean the rest of the staff is?

Nobody on this team made much progress, if any this year. That leads me to believe either the talent is really that bad or the coaching is, or both.

You want this to be a coaching factory. That’s fine and all, but just like you need talented players, you need talented coaches as well. Other than I guess the ST coach, I don’t see that talent on this staff, so changes have to be made.

Hopefully the new HC is not a guy that going to be over one side of the ball because he’s the defensive or offensive guy, but is more of a guy who can bring the talent in, oversee that, and let them coach. That’s how you become a coaching factory.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
No coach worth his salt is going to let a GM pick his assistants. That coach will want guys who can teach his system of football. Guys he can trust. Besides, who is Nick Caserio to judge who should be on a coaching staff? He's a personnel guy.

vtech9

All Pro
I've said it before. The only coaches, from the current staff, I would want the new HC to keep are Frank Ross and his assistant, and possibly RB's coach Danny Barrett.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know if Caserio is capable of identifying this. Everything you said was kinda done when Culley got fired in the keeping of Lovie and Pep. There were talks around here that when those 2 were hired for Culley's staff, they would be good teachers, etc. So when the coaching selection processed after Culley was fubar'd they were naturally promoted from within. I am in the camp that the HC hires/brings his own staff. Self preservation (job security) in the coaching realm is always a high priority so it's important to have good dynamics and similar philosophies within the staff. If you're trusting someone to be a HC, then you should trust him with his own assistants and if there is someone on the staff that the HC wants to retain, let that be his choice alone.
The new HC will be bringing in his own staff and there may or may not be a few coaches kept from the current staff is what it sounds like to me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I've said it before. The only coaches, from the current staff, I would want the new HC to keep are Frank Ross and his assistant, and possibly RB's coach Danny Barrett.
I think McDaniels has done a good job considering what he's had to work with.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Personally, I would stay away from Zimmer, just based on reports of him creating a toxic culture in Minnesota. Parcells, Coughlin, and Belichick did/can get away with the hard-nosed gruff stuff because they have the SB rings to back up their approach. Zimmer doesn't. I doubt he would mesh well with Ryans (one of my personal faves for the HC job).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't know if Caserio is capable of identifying this
He should. We need one guy at the top to make these evaluations. It can’t be Cal.
Everything you said was kinda done when Culley got fired in the keeping of Lovie and Pep
Right kinda. & that’s what I’m saying. Instead of going forward with Lovie & Pep they should have already determined if these guys are good enough going forward. Firing them a year later says if he thought they were, he screwed up.

Granted, they were in a hard spot & the decision to fire them may have been just as much a reflection of 2021’s evaluation.

If you're trusting someone to be a HC, then you should trust him with his own assistants and if there is someone on the staff that the HC wants to retain, let that be his choice alone.
In my mind the GM should be the HC’s boss. He should evaluate the coaches job which is more about managing coaches than players.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No coach worth his salt is going to let a GM pick his assistants. That coach will want guys who can teach his system of football. Guys he can trust. Besides, who is Nick Caserio to judge who should be on a coaching staff? He's a personnel guy.
He’s a GM. He better be able to judge a coaching staff.

I’m not saying Nick should micro manage the staff, but if he’s got a young McDaniels or Saleh he should try to keep them & “sell them” to the new HC.

Xopher

Rookie
This is just another day in another Caserio FUBAR. Cooks contract extension made him untradeable before the trade deadline.
Why would you have traded Cooks before he lost his mind over the Easterby firing though? No one expected him to do this. In fact before the extension Cooks said multiple times he did not want to be traded. There was absolutely no reason not to extend him at the time.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Why would you have traded Cooks before he lost his mind over the Easterby firing though? No one expected him to do this. In fact before the extension Cooks said multiple times he did not want to be traded. There was absolutely no reason not to extend him at the time.
Exactly.

zshawn10

All Pro

• The case of 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans is an interesting one. Both the Broncos and Texans have put in requests to interview him, and I think he’s a particularly strong candidate in Houston, where he was a cornerstone player for six years. The question from there will be where he’s willing to go.

Ryans made around $50 million as a player. He’s also in a position, as a coordinator working with the likes of Nick Bosa and Fred Warner, to continue churning out top-of-the-league units, which should protect his stock as a head-coaching candidate. And so with financial security and stability for his reputation and in the team he’s working for, Ryans can afford to be picky, and many in the industry expect he will be.

Last year, Ryans pulled out of the Vikings search. I don’t think he’d be afraid to do the same with the Broncos or Texans if he didn’t feel things were right with those franchises.

• Speaking of the Texans, with the 38-year-old Ryans, and both Eagles coordinators, Jonathan Gannon (40) and Shane Steichen (37), requested, it’s pretty clear that Houston is breaking in a different direction with this head coach hire after hiring 60-somethings in consecutive years (both showed their age on the job in their own ways).

As we’ve said for a couple weeks now, Gannon is very much a name to watch. He interviewed well in Houston last year, and may have gotten the job if not for some factors outside his control, and has strong ties to fellow northeast Ohio native Nick Caserio through mutual friend Josh McDaniels. Internally, there’s a strong belief that Gannon would be a much better philosophical pairing for Caserio than David Culley or Lovie Smith were.

With that established, I’d add that I’ve heard owner Cal McNair would be leery about going Patriot/Patriot with his next coach/GM pairing. So while I know Caserio likes and respects Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo and Steelers senior defensive assistant Brian Flores, the timing might not be right for either of those guys in Houston.

Xopher

Rookie
I agree with you, but if Cal was demanding Lovie be kept on as DC then that leaves Caserio no choice, but to have gone back to Gannon and say, nope you can't hire your staff. I can totally understand Gannon, as a defensive coach rejecting keeping a DC who runs a totally different scheme than the one that got Gannon consideration in the first place.

As far as Pep is concerned I have read articles about Lovie's time in Chicago and he wanted an old school offense and would reject anything new. When management wanted something new and that offense made any mistake Lovie would force them to go old school. I'm not saying Pep is a good OC, but he is definitely not a good old school OC. Did Lovie hamstring Pep at something he was actually good at? Who knows?

Now that Lovie is gone I don't think Nick will want control over coaches. Like I said before I think the whole thing last year was because Cal wanted to keep Lovie at DC and Nick had to go with that during the coaching search

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Metchie trade-up is a lot like the Collins trade-up. For Collins they gave up a lot to move up for a #3 WR. Metchie might be a #2 WR.

Cal and Hannah McNair have always fallen in love with the Texans GM. My opinion is why Caserio didn't get fired. The ghost of Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby is still running the show and roaming the halls of NRG.
Collins and Metchie are good players. I had no problem with trading up to get them. I would have picked Pickens and both of us agreed on this before the draft.

With that said, I think if healthy Metchie has the ability to be the best slot WR in Texans history. That probably says more about the Texans history than it does Metchie.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Now that Lovie is gone I don't think Nick will want control over coaches.
I think Nick knows that is not happening. He may have liked the idea of being involved on gameday. But he realizes those days are over now. My comments were directed at the notion of how to become a "coaching factory." That is completely organic and not something that can be planned for.
Now that Lovie has been relieved of his duties, Gannon is willing to step in.
Or Gannon got enough of a whiff of the Texans, and decides to go elsewhere. He'll have options.
With that said, I think if healthy Metchie has the ability to be the best slot WR in Texans history. That probably says more about the Texans history than it does Metchie.
Let's see if the guy can get on the football field before putting his jersey in the rafters. I'm rooting for him, but I'm not expecting a superstar.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OK, but how exactly has Cal hampered Nick? Did he force Nick to bring in 30 year old vets that made the Texans the oldest team in the league? Did Cal insist on extending Cooks on an untradeable contract? Did Cal tell Nick that Lovie and the coaching staff would have final say on draft picks?

Cal is an easy target because he is so clueless. But Caserio is digging his own grave with his own decisions.
I don't know the chemistry in the building or the power structure. I don't claim to know and I'm not going to present my imagination as fact.

I would not doubt that they still run a boardroom model where everyone gets a voice. Perhaps some voices are elevated to levels that are ultimately detrimental to a GM. Perhaps the dumb owners are in on the personnel meetings. They've certainly been in the draft process according to Texans history.

What I do know is the common thread of many years of dysfunction pre-dates Caserio. That common thread is the McNair family.

Who is responsible for the GM???

It all circles back to bad ownership. Blame the messenger all you want. Fire his ass. Guess what? They fundamental source of the problem remains in the building.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think Nick knows that is not happening. He may have liked the idea of being involved on gameday. But he realizes those days are over now. My comments were directed at the notion of how to become a "coaching factory." That is completely organic and not something that can be planned for.

Or Gannon got enough of a whiff of the Texans, and decides to go elsewhere. He'll have options.

Let's see if the guy can get on the football field before putting his jersey in the rafters. I'm rooting for him, but I'm not expecting a superstar.
Where did you get that out of that post. It was meant to show how bad the Texans slot WR's have been since their inception.

Max

Veteran
Personally, I would stay away from Zimmer, just based on reports of him creating a toxic culture in Minnesota. Parcells, Coughlin, and Belichick did/can get away with the hard-nosed gruff stuff because they have the SB rings to back up their approach. Zimmer doesn't. I doubt he would mesh well with Ryans (one of my personal faves for the HC job).
Zimmer belongs in the NFL as a d coordinator. Texans would be fortunate to get him in that role.

Max

Veteran
I would love for you to be right. Gannon at HC with Reich and Zimmer as coordinators would be one heck of a staff. But Reich is already interviewing for a HC position with Carolina. I suspect he’ll be a HC again, if not this year then next.

Agree on Zimmer, but i’m not sure if he wont just outright retire. Plus I don’t know if his personality/style meshes with this new generation of players. Zimmer does not fit the mold of what Caserio was talking about in terms of communication and using all resources in the building as reasons Lovie did not fit.

Vikings veteran players and locker room leaders Eric Kendricks and Brian O'Neill both alluded to that this afternoon.
"I think from an overall standpoint, [you want] a culture where communication is put at the forefront and no matter what your role is on the staff, you having a voice and being able to communicate things that you think could help facilitate wins," Kendricks said. "I think just having that voice, no matter how big your role is, is important, to listen up and take each other's feelings into account. I don't think a fear-based organization is the way to go."
The SI article reflects on Zimmer as a Head Coach. Zimmer was this way as a d coordinator as well but a different head coach with Zimmer as the d coordinator can ameliorate some of Zimmer's rough edges. If the Texans can't have anyone on their coaching staff who's ornery, that's a bad philosophy for who you're willing to hire. 2 nice guy hires/fires in a row should have taught them something.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

He had those options last year too & decided to head back to Philly.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Collins and Metchie are good players. I had no problem with trading up to get them. I would have picked Pickens and both of us agreed on this before the draft.

Collins is a #3 WR at best and the Texans gave up 2 mid-round draft picks to move to take him. This is on Pep for the move-up and on Caserio for letting it happen.

Regarding Metchie, this sounds like how you want it to be, and not so much how it will be.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
The SI article reflects on Zimmer as a Head Coach. Zimmer was this way as a d coordinator as well but a different head coach with Zimmer as the d coordinator can ameliorate some of Zimmer's rough edges. If the Texans can't have anyone on their coaching staff who's ornery, that's a bad philosophy for who you're willing to hire. 2 nice guy hires/fires in a row should have taught them something.
Deion"Prime" Sanders is a very smart guy and he didn't waste any time going after his Cowboys DC Zimmer to be his DC in Colorado. You'll find many Super Bowl-winning coaches who would make fine drill instructors.

zshawn10

All Pro
This now makes back-to-back one-and-dones in Houston, three new coaches in three years. I don’t think it’s wild to assume that David Culley, whose contract was bizarre and potentially more in line with that of a coordinator, and Smith were not the building blocks of an organization that was aggressively building a war chest of young talent and draft equity. The former had to handle constant questions about Deshaun Watson. The latter had to try to maximize what may have been among the worst opening-day rosters in the NFL. Admirably, both won a few football games and stayed competitive.

I think it is safe to assume that whoever the Texans hire this year will be the person they hoped could use all of that capital and mold those young players, a crop that could potentially include the first quarterback selected in this year’s draft. In that regard, I don’t really think the Texans are going to have a problem hiring a coach at all. In fact, it’s probably going to be a great gig. A future No. 1 cornerback in Derek Stingley Jr. A talented running back in Dameon Pierce. Potentially Alabama QB Bryce Young under center.

Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon, 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo should all be considered strong candidates. Gannon was impressive in his interview with the Texans last year, while Ryans is viewed by some as the slam dunk candidate of the cycle. Ryans played in Houston from 2006–11.

Without a centralized, unionized body protecting coaches and looking out for their collective best interests (something that will never happen), firings like the one in Houston will be commonplace in an NFL that gently allows its franchises to field less-than-competitive rosters in order to build more competitive ones down the road. In recent years, we have seen several accusations of “bridge” coaches, from Hue Jackson to Steve Wilks, like we’ve often seen at the quarterback position. In most cases, the rhythm of these hirings is frighteningly similar. They get swept up in a seemingly wayward hiring process, thrust into a season with a less-than-ideal solution at quarterback (Smith, God bless him, was juggling between Davis Mills, Jeff Driskel and Kyle Allen) and placed in a position where they can do little but steer the car off a cliff to someone else’s advantage.

Perhaps Smith doesn’t see it that way, but if we were in the business of recognizing patterns, this would slide neatly into place.

So it goes for an enterprise that will move on quickly. If one had to rank the best available coach openings, a team in a very winnable division with carte blanche to select a quarterback toward the top of the draft and spend one of the 10 biggest troves of salary cap space in the NFL seems like a pretty good deal. This is especially true given that if general manager Nick Caserio were to require hiring a third consecutive coach after just one season, he would undoubtedly cost himself his own job.

And this is really where we’ll see differences. Caserio fired Culley after he won four games with this Texans team. He fired Smith after winning three and tying another. Neither was deemed worthy of patience, despite the fact that Caserio hired Culley and Smith, and that Smith was on the coaching staff for a year before being promoted to the full-time head-coaching position. What was outlined in those interviews? This was, in the eyes of some around the NFL, at least a three-year build. How come no one even got halfway there?

We will find out soon enough. For once, the Texans gig is going to be a good one, so long as you can stomach how it got that way.

Max

Veteran
Deion"Prime" Sanders is a very smart guy and he didn't waste any time going after his Cowboys DC Zimmer to be his DC in Colorado. You'll find many Super Bowl-winning coaches who would make fine drill instructors.
Deion hired Charles Kelly as D coordinator in Colorado. Funny thing is that there's an article posted just 40 minutes ago saying he's going to bring in Zimmer as well in some capacity. Wouldn't be surprised if Zimmer takes some time off with the death of his son a few months ago. But I wish my Vikings would bring him back as d coordinator. He gets the job done.

Max

Veteran
Your drill instructor comment made me think of Jerry Burns. This will never be topped. Most epic post game meltdown by a coach all time. Way off subject but just wanted to share for a laugh if anyone hasn't seen it. Hard to imagine this happening today.

LANGUAGE WARNING

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Your drill instructor comment made me think of Jerry Burns. This will never be topped. Most epic post game meltdown by a coach all time. Way off subject but just wanted to share for a laugh if anyone hasn't seen it. Hard to imagine this happening today.

LANGUAGE WARNING

When I said drill inspectors I was thinking more in line with Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Walsh, Johnson, and Shula. :)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Collins is a #3 WR at best and the Texans gave up 2 mid-round draft picks to move to take him. This is on Pep for the move-up and on Caserio for letting it happen.

Regarding Metchie, this sounds like how you want it to be, and not so much how it will be.
I thought Collins looked like he was really improving last season before he got hurt. Gotta stay healthy, 2 years and a lot of missed games in both yrs

Metchie was Young's go to guy on 3rd downs and in the rz. I'll take my chances that if healthy an Alabama WR will be a productive pro, just like the Alabama WR's before him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I thought Collins looked like he was really improving last season before he got hurt. Gotta stay healthy, 2 years and a lot of missed games in both yrs

Metchie was Young's go to guy on 3rd downs and in the rz. I'll take my chances that if healthy an Alabama WR will be a productive pro, just like the Alabama WR's before him.
You may be confusing Metchie with Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith. That Metchie is not. Metchie played second fiddle to Jameson Williams.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
You may be confusing Metchie with Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith. That Metchie is not. Metchie played second fiddle to Jameson Williams.
When did Waddle ever play 'first fiddle'?

Besides that Metchie had more receptions and was on the field more in less games than Williams, because you know, they both had different but each very important and meaningful roles in the offense.

Reactions: JB

Boris

All Pro

LANGUAGE WARNING

So...they won that game?
Like listening to James Cagney

• Haha
Reactions: Max

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yet, Metchie was targeted more on 3rd downs and in the rz than Williams was.

I wanted Pickens, but Metchie is a top notch route runner. Go checkout his highlights 2 years ago at Alabama.

I'm not worried at all about Metchie if he's healthy.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Rumor has it Cal canned him as soon as they got back to Houston. Not even off the plane. Also, just a rumor is he was fired because he didn't blow the game. However, it could be true seeing it would have given the 1st pick to us. A tweet is apparently around that shows Cal looking very upset when the team takes the lead. Just the opposite of what you would expect in your teams owner when his team is winning.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
What sucks if Stroud has a good combine we might miss the chance to get him.
Only if Indy can trade up to 1. And if they do I think they will take Young. While pleases me to know end. Leaving CJ to us...only problem is who represents him. I honestly think IF you can find a good QB for next year, draft Levis and let him learn. I think he really has the "IT" factor.