Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lovie Smith Fired

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Just because of a narrative around here, pushed especially hard by SteelB, doesn't make it true. These hires are on Nick. Quit giving this man an excuse slip from his Mommy and start holding his feet to the fire. He is the GM. Either hold him accountable, or boot his ass, and get someone that can be accountable for his actions.
We all have an opinion of what transpired. They just differ.

Couple of posters thinking they know it all, repeating it ad nauseam, doesn't make it true either.

:coffee:

Mangler

Toro de España
What part is garbage?

Gannon having mutual interest?
Gannon bringing in Reich and Zimmer?
No interest in DeMeco?
The clown literally copied and pasted three different tweets that were other people’s opinions (not facts) and is pretending to have inside knowledge. No one is turning down a HC job opportunity. NO ONE!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Who is this clown? John Breech? What a moron!
  • Winner: Lovie Smith. It might seem odd that I have Lovie listed as a winner considering he just got fired, but he gets to leave a dysfunctional organization and he ended his career in Houston with a wild win that guaranteed the Texans won't be getting the No. 1 overall pick. Any time you can screw someone over who's about to fire you, you have to do it.
He’s not wrong. I wouldn’t think Lovie to be that petty but then he certainly whipped out his balls all of a sudden and threw them in a wheelbarrow in his last decision made as a Texan. Something he never did the other 17 weeks of the season, especially week 1.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Just because of a narrative around here, pushed especially hard by SteelB, doesn't make it true. These hires are on Nick. Quit giving this man an excuse slip from his Mommy and start holding his feet to the fire. He is the GM. Either hold him accountable, or boot his ass, and get someone that can be accountable for his actions.
narratives on both sides…but its clear as day whose making these final decisions and its not Caserio.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You get nothing but crickets from him.
cause its bunk thats why. Patently blatant BS for all these Armchair GM’s in here to act like it was as easy as going out and picking up a Sean McVay off the shelf at Walmart lol. All the crap DW4 had this franchise embroiled in….All the crap BoB/Easterby had done to the talent on the team, cap and draft capital…all the crap the Texans org was embroiled in by itself…no hot young HC candidate was trying to come here..especially in 2021.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The same coaches not coming to Houston because of Cal and Caserio.
I would add the same coaches not coming here because the GM wants to hire his coaching staff or the owner wants to keep the DC or the EVP of football operations wants to stalk the NRG hallways or the GM wants to be on a headset or Watson's shenanigans?

IMHO. I think the "who would come here" question is a weak argument. Regardless how dysfunctional the team, there are only 32 jobs. I don't recall ever hearing "no one wanted that NFL job". Shoot, if I wanted an old, bridge HC, before hiring Culley or even Lovie, I would have hired Wade Phillips or Jim Caldwell.

Even if they were trying to "appease" Watson. Only a moron would think that Culley would be a more credible or convincing HC hire than Caldwell.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I would add the same coaches not coming here because the GM wants to hire his coaching staff or the owner wants to keep the DC or the EVP of football operations wants to stalk the NRG hallways or the GM wants to be on a headset or Watson's shenanigans?

IMHO. I think the "who would come here" question is a weak argument. Regardless how dysfunctional the team, there are only 32 jobs. I don't recall ever hearing "no one wanted that NFL job". Shoot, if I wanted an old, bridge HC, before hiring Culley or even Lovie, I would have hired Wade Phillips or Jim Caldwell.

Even if they were trying to "appease" Watson. Only a moron would think that Culley would be a more credible or convincing HC hire than Caldwell.
Its a strong argument…you’re just confused about what the argument is. Lol. Its never been a question of finding someone…anyone to take the job. The David Culley, Hue Jackson’s & Freddie Kitchens’ of the world are plentiful and would’ve gladly taken it if offered to them. The argument is FINDING SOMEONE GOOD to take it. All those guys? Well, they have/had options with other organizations who were better positioned for them to come in & have success quickly.

For any of those guys to come in & take the gig, they would’ve had to concede at least 2 years of sucking..& those guys weren’t willing to risk their careers to do that…& I don’t blame them at all. Now? The situation is worlds different. We are 1 of the more attractive jobs open.

zshawn10

All Pro
Here's the transcript from the presser:

Calhoun:

Good evening everyone. Thanks for coming. We spoke with Lovie last night and informed him we’ll be moving in different direction. These decisions are difficult. Appreciate everything he has done the past 2 years as a coach and leader. Felt this was the best decision for us at this time. Last 2 seasons not what we hoped for but committed to building a successful program long term.

Dealt with unprecedented circumstances last several years
Excited about our future, where we’re headed
Constantly evaluating, looking for ways to improve and reaching out to our fan base, whether that’s uniform changes or making head coach changes.
Always looking to up our game in every area and take our organization to the next level. Now we’re committed to getting this one right.
Full confidence in Nick. Led our football operation through a difficult stretch. Continues to prove to be an elite talent evaluator.
We talk constantly and have a plan for this process we’ll execute together.
With this hire, I’ll be taking on a more active role in this process.
Virtual interviews this week and can begin in person interviews after wild card games
As we conduct formal interviews, we’ll operate transparently, keeping media and fans updated on our progress.
Strong list of candidates.
We’ll pick the best coach to take this team into our next future with significant draft capital, salary cap space and a young roster.
Excited and optimistic about what’s possible moving forward on the field.

Nick Caserio:

Important for myself to acknowledge contributions Lovie provided in different roles. Appreciation/admiration for Lovie. Had positive impact on different people. After research and evaluation, felt this was best for our program. A long road ahead of us.

Started process of identifying candidates. A lot of work ahead of us. Disappointed about where we are currently. I take as much responsibility and I’m accountable to everyone in this building. Excited about opportunity ahead of us. Didn’t get the results on field we wanted but opportunity here as we turn the page. … Only way to get better is look at all facets of operation. Already talked about implementing techniques and tactics that can help us. Trying to be proactive. Only way to improve is acknowledge deficiencies and where there are strengths. Hard day, rough day but thoughtful and productive day. Met with all coaches on the staff. Had opportunity to meet with the team. My message was accountability and I took responsibility. This is a player’s league. Our commitment is to find the best people to move this program in a positive direction. We put ourselves in a decent position. No one wants to hear words, people want action.

What in your process needed to change?

Including more voices, more people, utilizing resources in the building…candidly allowing other people to be part of the process. We have an opportunity to get it right. Only way to improve is to find ways to improve. You have to be committed to making improvements. We want to see progress is as many areas as possible. As far as the process, we’re going through that. Don’t want to get into detail/depth but utilizing resources readily available that we didn’t previously.

Hire/Fire Cullen, Hire/Fire Lovie…How does that work with everything you’re trying to accomplish?

We have to improve and get better. Each year is its own entity. Can I do a better job? Absolutely. We’ll try to find ways to improve, make sound decisions. Disappointed that the position we’re in. I won’t hold anyone accountable other than myself. I’m committed to trying to get it fixed, get it right.

Why should any black coach feel they can trust you?

Each individual will have to make that choice. It’s not about race. It’s about finding quality coaches. In the end, each coach has their own belief, own philosophy, own comfort level about what we’re doing. If they feel it’s not the right situation, I have to accept it.

Status of staff?

Met with staff today. Fluid process. Look at each situation individually. New coach will have a say, input. They may have other opportunities or with a new staff, we’ll keep an open line of communication. Try to be honest and open but a fluid situation. Hard to get clarity for the next 2-3 weeks because of hiring practices. We’ll try to be as open as possible and keep them abreast as best we can.

How do you address the instability/credibility questions if it comes up?

Only way to handle that is be honest, open, get their feedback. Whoever we speak with, there will have to be open communication. …

What can you tell candidates (job security) if they only win 5 games the next 2 years?

Everything factors in. You want to see progress. How is that progress measured? There’s a number of different ways. In addition to W/L, there are other things you have to evaluate. It’s not about one particular thing, one particular player or one particular result. …

Who decides next head coach?

My recommendation to ownership. Cal/Hannah own the team. In the end, owner has the trump card.

Why will this process yield better results?

I don’t know if it guarantees results. Nothing is guaranteed. Ignorant of me to say changing our process will lead to X number of wins. Nothing is guaranteed. All we’re guaranteed is an opportunity. The clock is ticking, time is short. Expectations are high. If I don’t do my job well enough, at some point, decisions will have to be made.

Why should people have confidence in you (getting chance to hire a 3rd HC)?

Appreciative of the support of Cal/Hannah. There’s no guarantees. I’ll do the best job I can. We’ve made progress in some areas but not enough. I’m gonna hold myself accountable. Only thing I can do is come up with solutions. If it’s good enough, it will be and if not, I’ll have to deal with the consequences.

You hired 2 coaches who never had a shot to be successful. They’re not here but you are. How do you answer that?

That’s fair. Only thing I can do is show up every day and do the best to my ability. If whoever we hire doesn’t feel my role or position I’m in, I understand that and accept that. Leadership position, leadership, prioritize players, mission for the building, work in collaboration, no one size fits all. …

How involved was Easterby in the previous search(es)? Do you fear for your job?

In the end, it’s about accountability. I’m gonna work my ass off. That’s my commitment. It’s not about an individual. Utilizing the resources we have available that maybe we didn’t have prior.

Only thing I can say, I’m doing the best I can for the organization. My responsibility and job is to evaluate everything from a football standpoint. Have we gotten everything right? No. … There are players who want to be here. They believe in what we’re doing. I believe we’re moving in the right direction. I’m gonna be here as long as I can to see it through.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Dysfunctional franchises do dysfunctional things.

This franchise is utter garbage run by owners that have the football acumen of circus clowns.

This city deserves better football franchises, but deserves got nothing to do with it.
I actually think you're under-estimating the footbal acumen of circus clowns compared to this ownership.

Have you not seen the mis-direction plays eleven clowns run under the big top coming out of a VW? Genius. That would get any TE open in a seam.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Its a strong argument…you’re just confused about what the argument is. Lol. Its never been a question of finding someone…anyone to take the job. The David Culley, Hue Jackson’s & Freddie Kitchens’ of the world are plentiful and would’ve gladly taken it if offered to them. The argument is FINDING SOMEONE GOOD to take it. All those guys? Well, they have/had options with other organizations who were better positioned for them to come in & have success quickly.

For any of those guys to come in & take the gig, they would’ve had to concede at least 2 years of sucking..& those guys weren’t willing to risk their careers to do that…& I don’t blame them at all. Now? The situation is worlds different. We are 1 of the more attractive jobs open.
I'm not confused. You are making my point. If no young coach would be willing to have 2 years of sucking on their resume, why not hire an experience, older coach with recent success as a HC, DC or OC. Wouldn't that give you enough time to upgrade the talent without all of this turmoil? Finding someone good for 2-4 years does not mean they have to be young and willing to have 2 years of sucking on their resume. See. No confusion. LOL.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'm not a blame Caserio kind of guy. He's only carrying water for his idiot owners. His ability to build a team will ultimately be hampered by their meddling ways.
OK, but how exactly has Cal hampered Nick? Did he force Nick to bring in 30 year old vets that made the Texans the oldest team in the league? Did Cal insist on extending Cooks on an untradeable contract? Did Cal tell Nick that Lovie and the coaching staff would have final say on draft picks?

Cal is an easy target because he is so clueless. But Caserio is digging his own grave with his own decisions.
…but its clear as day whose making these final decisions and its not Caserio.
"Disappointed about where we are currently. I take as much responsibility and I’m accountable to everyone in this building."

"My message was accountability and I took responsibility."

"Disappointed that the position we’re in. I won’t hold anyone accountable other than myself. "

"There’s no guarantees. I’ll do the best job I can. We’ve made progress in some areas but not enough. I’m gonna hold myself accountable. Only thing I can do is come up with solutions. If it’s good enough, it will be and if not, I’ll have to deal with the consequences."

Nick is trying to tell you that he's made mistakes and knows that this could have easily been a presser about his firing. I have respect for him in acknowledging his responsibility for the past two seasons. He's getting his 3rd chance. Needs to get it right, this time.

Texian

Hall of Fame

When asked about the current assistant coaches Caserio did allude to the new coach would be bringing in and hiring his own coaches and that some coaches might be retained but they are free to pursue other offers.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I also find Cal's quote, "With this hire, I’ll be taking on a more active role in this process." I would have like someone to ask what was his role and process in the previous hires and to define active role.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Lol first it was Jack Easterby and now he is gone. Because of Cal. So what dysfunction? You have to be delusional if you don’t think the job opening is desirable.
No doubt it is very desirable to the tier 2 and tier 3 coaches, but to the tier 1 coaches, not so much. The Texans are a career killer, they will start looking elsewhere before considering Houston.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I also find Cal's quote, "With this hire, I’ll be taking on a more active role in this process." I would have like someone to ask what was his role and process in the previous hires and to define active role.
He is talking about Hannah. Not him specifically.

Every time Caserio refers to ownership he says Cal and Hannah. Never just Cal. Not once Janice. Hannah has everyone by the balls.

Maybe she is what this team has needed. Someone giving Cal a backbone to hold people accountable and not get sold some magic beans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm not confused. You are making my point. If no young coach would be willing to have 2 years of sucking on their resume, why not hire an experience, older coach with recent success as a HC, DC or OC. Wouldn't that give you enough time to upgrade the talent without all of this turmoil? Finding someone good for 2-4 years does not mean they have to be young and willing to have 2 years of sucking on their resume. See. No confusion. LOL.
I would argue that there's no real "turmoil" except with over zealous & unrealistic fans who have refused to really acknowledge the totality of the situation this franchise was left in post BoB & DW4. Whether it was 2 years of Culley & then we get our HC of the future...or 2 different bridge HC's in 2 different years, we have arrived at the same point. whomever took over post BoB and that shitshow was most likely not gonna be around in 2-3 years when this team finally got to the point where we could climb out of the dungeon.

Furthermore, No coach wants to come here & concede to losing for at least 2 years of their tenure. & we're not talking about 7-10, 8-9 losing, we're talking really bad losing........... like we've seen in these 2 years. This is their career and i'm sure they don't want that on their resume if they can help it whether they're young or old. Not guys who have better options to go elsewhere anyway. they understand how the game is played with fans & owners. If you don't come in and have some level of immediate success within the 1st 2 years, you're likely not going to survive for a 3rd year. Its just that simple. You also don't get to that level by conceding to losing. Furthermore, the trend in the NFL is the young offensive guy. You're also talking about a limited number of guys anyway. Leslie Frazier...Dan Quinn...who else? Just know Frazier wasn't bringing Josh Allen and Jordan Poyer with him...Ditto for Dan Quinn and Micah Parsons.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
OK, but how exactly has Cal hampered Nick? Did he force Nick to bring in 30 year old vets that made the Texans the oldest team in the league? Did Cal insist on extending Cooks on an untradeable contract? Did Cal tell Nick that Lovie and the coaching staff would have final say on draft picks?

Cal is an easy target because he is so clueless. But Caserio is digging his own grave with his own decisions.

"Disappointed about where we are currently. I take as much responsibility and I’m accountable to everyone in this building."

"Disappointed that the position we’re in. I won’t hold anyone accountable other than myself. "

"There’s no guarantees. I’ll do the best job I can. We’ve made progress in some areas but not enough. I’m gonna hold myself accountable. Only thing I can do is come up with solutions. If it’s good enough, it will be and if not, I’ll have to deal with the consequences."

Nick is trying to tell you that he's made mistakes and knows that this could have easily been a presser about his firing. I have respect for him in acknowledging his responsibility for the past two seasons. He's getting his 3rd chance. Needs to get it right, this time.
Given the line of questioning by the media, I take all that to mean he's trying to tell fans & media members that he's just as disappointed as they are & that he's all in. But really what was he supposed to say? Pull a Marshawn Lynch and "uh yeah, i'm just here so i don't get fined...but for the record i had nothing to do with this shitshow over the last 2 years that was all Cal".

Furthermore, this, overrides all of that.
Who decides next head coach?

My recommendation to ownership. Cal/Hannah own the team. In the end, owner has the trump card.
He's telling you right there who makes the final call. We all know this, but some of us really just don't want to acknowledge that b/c of how stuck in the belief we are about how WE think it should go. The most important thing for the McNairs has ALWAYS been getting people in here who can work together & collaborate. That was daddy McNair's model & it appears to be Cal's as well.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
... Did Cal insist on extending Cooks on an untradeable contract?...
Was thinking about this today. At the time the contract extension was made, and based on Cooks 2021 performance, this contract was not unreasonable. No one could anticipate Cooks would unprofessionally explode over Easterby's firing. Even with the problems this year, and missing four games, and the overall problems with our offense, he still had 699 yards. He played at a level to have gained a thousand yards had there not been the personal dispute. This just needs to be chalked up to one last piece of deadwood left over from the old regime that needs cleaning up.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Nick gave Cal McCown last year. Give Cal credit for making the right call on that. Nick deserves to be on a short leash.
You have it backwards. Nick doesn't have to give Cal anything. Cal give him who he wants. So If Cal wanted McCown in the convo for HC, Cal can "trump" Nick and insert him into the conversation for HC....Just as he did with Lovie the following year which reportedly killed the Gannon hiring. C'mon man.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
No one could anticipate Cooks would unprofessionally explode over Easterbie's firing.
OK, Nick is not a psychic. What you're forgetting was that there was no reason to renegotiate that contract. Cooks was under contract thru 2022. I explained in multiple posts why this contract was a bad idea.

Brandin Cooks' two-year contract extension has $36 million guaranteed with $19.8 million maximum average annually.

That’s outrageous for an age 30 & 31 WR. What would Bill Belichick do (WWBBD)?

Not this.
Cooks was already signed for 2022. What I'm referring to is the extension for 2023-2024. Will Mills still require kid gloves as a 3rd & 4th year starter?
* Cooks was signed for 2022, his age 29 season. There was no pressing reason to extend him. No reason not to see how Cooks season would go before offering the largest WR AAV contract in Texans history for his age 30 and 31 seasons.

Now if I said the Texans shouldn't sign a 30+ RB to a huge guaranteed contract, I'm sure many would agree with me. Er...not. Many of the same posters applauding the Cooks extension were telling me what a great idea it was to sign 30+ age RBs like David Johnson and Mark Ingram. So pardon me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt.
I said it then and I'm still saying it. There was no reason for Caserio to not to see how Cooks 2022 season would go before offering the largest WR AAV contract in Texans history. This contract was a Nick Caserio mistake.

I don’t see why some folks are so apologetic for a GM that by even his own accounting has not been successful. Two horrific coaching hires and neither of those coaches were given enough talent to succeed on the field - so they both are let go but the GM stays? Makes no sense.

That being said, we just have to hope the guy finally figures it out and hires a solid coach, gets out of his way, and brings in the talent to finally be able to compete.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Nick gave Cal McCown last year. Give Cal credit for making the right call on that. Nick deserves to be on a short leash.
Do we know if that was Nick’s guy? Because I remember folks saying Easterby wanted McCown. Nick wanted Gannon.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Nick needed the fans to hear it, but he also needed HC candidates to hear it. He's telling them, "Ok so yeah I whacked the last two guys. But don't worry about all that, if things go south again I'll be the one who gets whacked."

Wolf

100% Texan

I honesty had no problem bring in stop gap vets on one year deals. Get the cap cleared.

Now hopefully the Texans are following the astros blueprint.

Wishful thinking

Max

Veteran
Don't think you can overstate the amount of stupid Easterby brought to the table with team decisions. Yes, others were stupid to give him a voice. But the odds of a good hire go up exponentially without Easterby input. There's hope they get it right this time.

Texian

Hall of Fame
OK, Nick is not a psychic. What you're forgetting was that there was no reason to renegotiate that contract. Cooks was under contract thru 2022. I explained in multiple posts why this contract was a bad idea.

I said it then and I'm still saying it. There was no reason for Caserio to not to see how Cooks 2022 season would go before offering the largest WR AAV contract in Texans history. This contract was a Nick Caserio mistake.
This is just another day in another Caserio FUBAR. Cooks contract extension made him untradeable before the trade deadline.