Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lets Talk TEs...

Ah, but this year will be different. At least I wishfully hope optimistically with one eye closed and my fingers crossed. And I'm still determined to find more with the Texans to enjoy.
I like your enthusiasm and hope you (and me too!) get to see some creativity with the TE's this year. It would be a nice change of pace.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...uld-be-on-the-chopping-block-after-the-draft/ via http://cbssportsapp.com

Ryan Griffin, TE, Texans
2019 cap hit: $2.6M
Cap savings if released: $2.6M
Team need to clear cap space: Minimal
Possible rookie replacement: Third-round pick Kahale Warring

As a former sixth-round pick, hats off to Griffin for sticking around for what will be his seventh season, all of which have been spent in Houston. In 2018, for the first time in his pro career, Griffin didn't score a touchdown and has just 37 receptions over the past two seasons.

Houston doubled up on tight ends in the 2018 Draft with Jordan Atkins and Jordan Thomas. Now, Warring is a part of the tight end room. At 6-5 with adequate ability in line as a blocker, smooth movements downfield, and strong hands, the San Diego State product can add a serious threat to Houston's passing game down the seam and can be useful on the outside of the offensive line for the run game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...uld-be-on-the-chopping-block-after-the-draft/ via http://cbssportsapp.com

Ryan Griffin, TE, Texans
2019 cap hit: $2.6M
Cap savings if released: $2.6M
Possible rookie replacement: Third-round pick Kahale Warring

As a former sixth-round pick, hats off to Griffin for sticking around for what will be his seventh season, all of which have been spent in Houston. In 2018, for the first time in his pro career, Griffin didn't score a touchdown and has just 37 receptions over the past two seasons.

Houston doubled up on tight ends in the 2018 Draft with Jordan Atkins and Jordan Thomas. Now, Warring is a part of the tight end room. At 6-5 with adequate ability in line as a blocker, smooth movements downfield, and strong hands, the San Diego State product can add a serious threat to Houston's passing game down the seam and can be useful on the outside of the offensive line for the run game.

Just an outside thought...........the Pats have something like 6 TEs on their depth chart.......none of which are a lock...........none of which are apt to replace the roles of Gronc and the psycho killer. Griffin has been somewhat less than stellar in the past few years, but I wonder if Bellichick in a move of desperation would feel he could develop him into a useful chip as he already would be familiar with the scheme. Although we don't know where it goes, he evidently already felt some potential moldability in Stephen Anderson who was also already familiar with the scheme. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I still say that he doesn't really know what to do with TEs unless they are Gronk level talent. Since the Texans, and really nobody else, has that then BoB just kind of puts them out there and says "Try and be helpful". I like the Warring pick well enough from a talent and player point of view and on most teams it would have been a great 3rd round pick but from a Texans point of view I don't think it will help us much. What I do keep hoping though is that Watson will get to the point that he picks his own targets and basically the players overcome the play calling. I think BoB is a pretty good HC but he sucks as an OC and sadly right now the OC part is having a bigger impact than the HC part game to game.

Watson picking the correct targets was a bit of an issue last yr.

He missed a lot of open guys.

The thing that worries me about Warring is although he's very talented it usually takes 2-3 yrs for a drafted TE to become productive. Example: George Kittle/Ertz etc...

How many TE's have had impacts as rookies?

Back