Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Laremy Tunsil Extended

Wow... Tunsil resets the market. Guess we're not going Tackle high in the draft. Good for him.

The only thing perhaps slightly surprising is duration. He got his per year $$$, but duration is rather short. I guess the team wasn't willing to go 4 or 5 years.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Wow... Tunsil resets the market. Guess we're not going Tackle high in the draft. Good for him.

The only thing perhaps slightly surprising is duration. He got his per year $$$, but duration is rather short. I guess the team wasn't willing to go 4 or 5 years.
I’m sure duration is a Tunsil call. He is a smart businessman and knows he can reset the market again in three years much easier than a five or six year deal.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

His last contract extension was short also, he’s been extremely clever in how he is leveraging his talent vs pay, when he negotiated after the trade he did exactly the same thing, reset the market on a short deal, he knows the cap is inflating and he won’t be the highest paid LT in year 3 of this deal, he’s happy to risk a little for random injury and come back and reset the market again in 2 years.

Good for him, he’s a smart cookie, I’m just not sure that the Texans are doing the right thing having the highest paid LT protecting the bums they’ve had at QB, reminds me of Joe Thomas spending his career on the Browns, but that ain’t Tunsil’s problem.

His last contract extension was short also, he’s been extremely clever in how he is leveraging his talent vs pay, when he negotiated after the trade he did exactly the same thing, reset the market on a short deal, he knows the cap is inflating and he won’t be the highest paid LT in year 3 of this deal, he’s happy to risk a little for random injury and come back and reset the market again in 2 years.

Good for him, he’s a smart cookie, I’m just not sure that the Texans are doing the right thing having the highest paid LT protecting the bums they’ve had at QB, reminds me of Joe Thomas spending his career on the Browns, but that ain’t Tunsil’s problem.
That's true. Some risk to that strategy also as he'll be well into his 30's. But he's strong and agile so good chance he's still primo by then I suppose.

Khelar

Rookie

Well I think the hope is that the guy we draft won’t be a bum…

Getting rid of Cook's cap hit made this deal possible. After all of the draft capital OB spent on Tunsil, I'm glad the Texans are keeping him around.
Wow... dominos are falling this morning. Disappointing haul for Cooks Caserio overplayed his hand last trade deadline by insisting for a 2nd round pick (although we may have had to eat some $$). Then Cokks quits on the team and we get less. Meh.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Interested in seeing how this extension frees up cap space for this season. Will determine how many more players they can sign.

Will Shaq Mason and Tytus Howard get extensions next? Or will they play out their contracts and possibly draft their replacements this season?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Interested in how much that lowers Tunsil's cap hit, this season. There is still the 2023 bonus allocation of $16.7 million that can know be spread across 4 years. Laremy's $18.5 mil salary can be reduced with the rest turned in to part of the bonus. Kept through 2026, Tunsil will have $110 million against the cap to be accounted for, $27.5 AAV. And Laremy gets another bite at the apple at age 33, the same age Trent Williams was able to reset the market in 2021. It's possible that Tunsil makes over $200 million in his career. The highest of any non QB.

Maybe Lamar Jackson should hire Tunsil as his agent?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Interested in how much that lowers Tunsil's cap hit, this season. There is still the 2023 bonus allocation of $16.7 million that can know be spread across 4 years. Laremy's $18.5 mil salary can be reduced with the rest turned in to part of the bonus. Kept through 2026, Tunsil will have $110 million against the cap to be accounted for, $27.5 AAV. And Laremy gets another bite at the apple at age 33, the same age Trent Williams was able to reset the market in 2021. It's possible that Tunsil makes over $200 million in his career. The highest of any non QB.

Tunsil is definitely an example of a player not needing a formal agent to be a successful businessman. I’m sure he has advisors other than his mom though.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I like Nelson, he’s a solid CB2. But I would like to find an upgrade that is younger than sink in money and watch his play decline. I’d like to see them find his heir apparent on day 3 this draft. Let Nelson test FA next offseason and maybe get a comp pick for him.

Same with Collins. Same with Howard with the way Jawaan Taylor just got paid. Don’t want to pay an average starter 20 million a year. Lets have ourselves a Seattle esque draft this year and find a lot of late round studs!

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Never understood the "trade Tunsil" crowd. Arguably the only strength of the team is having two good tackles. Not sure why people wanted that broken up
I was one of the many in the totally rebuild the OL camp. I’m completely willing to find out if the IOL was holding back the T’s from being their very best. Draft a C as first priority and a RG as well. I might even invest in another G just in case there’s any cracks in the group.

I’m good with Wypler at Center.

I’d take Mauch since he could play OT in a pinch and should find his home at OG.

I’d take a late flyer on Andrew Vorhees who’s a stud OG needing some rehab time. If Green should flame out….I’d love having Vorhees in my back pocket.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
I was one of the many in the totally rebuild the OL camp. I’m completely willing to find out if the IOL was holding back the T’s from being their very best. Draft a C as first priority and a RG as well. I might even invest in another G just in case there’s any cracks in the group.

I’m good with Wypler at Center.

I’d take Mauch since he could play OT in a pinch and should find his home at OG.

I’d take a late flyer on Andrew Vorhees who’s a stud OG needing some rehab time. If Green should flame out….I’d love having Vorhees in my back pocket.
I second Vorhees later in the draft

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Never understood the "trade Tunsil" crowd. Arguably the only strength of the team is having two good tackles. Not sure why people wanted that broken up
Never really apart of that "crowd" but I was OK with trading him when he sat out 12 games with a hangnail and didn't appear to want to be a part of the Texans organization anymore.

Also OK with the situation now as it appears he does want to stick around, but man, this dude has cost a ton to get here and keep.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Makes no sense unless they draft a franchise QB. Which pretty much paints them in a corner #2 overall and next 3 years.
Isn’t it funny, taking the #1 or #2 QB off the board, and with a great chance that that QB is our coaching staff’s #1 choice as well should be a really exciting time but seeing how things go for high drafted QBs in this league I’m highly apprehensive.

The one thing I do know, I hope the coaching staff is willing to start Keenum to begin the season until this guy is ready to start, starting when not ready is the biggest risk for torpedoing a young QBs career. I’m fairly confident we aren’t in a Vince Young situation where the pick is being foisted on the HC, we’ve seen firsthand how you can’t out-talent character issues also so hopefully the Texans are able to avoid some of the pitfalls.

Blindside protection sorted and some good investment in the rest of the OL, worried about who they trot out at C, and the quality of the downfield receivers.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Makes no sense unless they draft a franchise QB. Which pretty much paints them in a corner #2 overall and next 3 years.
I think the plan was/is to draft their franchise quarterback. They know the importance of protecting that quarterback blindside. They also brought in Case to be a mentor to whoever they draft at quarterback. Mills doesn’t have enough experience to be that type of veteran mentor.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I don’t think it paints Caserio or Ryans in a corner regarding the QB position.

Having a ready and willing Tunsil helps Keenum and Mills as much as it does a rookie QB.

Get the “Baker’s Dirty Dozen” fortified along with a WR, RB, and SS…..and this team should be much better than what has been put on the field over the past three seasons.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I thought the dead $ 16.7 has to be accounted for this seasons cap. I refer to Troy at OTC.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don’t think it paints Caserio or Ryans in a corner regarding the QB position.

Having a ready and willing Tunsil helps Keenum and Mills as much as it does a rookie QB.

Get the “Baker’s Dirty Dozen” fortified along with a WR, RB, and SS…..and this team should be much better than what has been put on the field over the past three seasons.
If you can get a couple of solid starters on both sides of the ball each draft, you're starting to build that strong core.
Add a couple more in FA with a good coaching staff and you gotta be good to compete and win.
Still, a competent QB is more than just a bonus.