Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak wants immediate improvement

Ooops, dammit, I missed Haslett and the saints.

But the rest of these guys didn't make it. Dungy had a losing season before turning it around. So did Glanville. Vermiel had 2 losing seasons before turning it around.

That doesn't matter. The criteria was 4 years. All those guys he listed turned their teams around in 4 years.

Kubiak came to the Texans after 4 consecutive losing seasons. Those are all good comparisons for Kubiak.

Haslett, I always thought was a good coach.

I thought he would get another shot after the Saints implosion. If you've got a GM to team with Haslett, I think you'll have a good combination.

I know you can't go solely off record(or can you?!) but saying so, Haslett was just about average, maybe a little above average. Only 2 winning seasons(though 1 playoff appearance in 2000, first since '92 for NO), a couple of 8-8s, a 7-9, and a 3-13 in which he got ax. 45-51 with New Orleans. 2-10 in an interm role with STL. Let's see what he does or can do with Washington's D.

Seems to me, you're cheering for Kubiak MORE than you are for the Texans.

It's your right to do so.

I root for Kubiak, because I like what he has done for this team, and it ticks me off to high heaven, when people ignore the good things that he has done.

We call him a head coach, but he has been doing more than that since he's been here. He's more like a VP of football operations. Rick Smith is here because of Kubiak. This franchise's turnaround has been because of Kubiak.

I've always thought Parcell's 4 years was the standard. Sure there have been some that have done it quicker (circumstances have been different). But if Parcells can turn around a loser in 4 years, and Parcells is a hall of fame coach, I'm going to give Kubiak 4 years.

If it takes 5, fine. As long as there has been consistent improvement along the way. And getting major contribution from late round flyers (Anderson, OD, Diles, Jacoby, Studdard, McCain, Casey, Barber) is a big plus. (And Nolan may take over at FS).

This team isn't good, it's freak'n awesome, & that's not in spite of Gary Kubiak.

Haslett, I always thought was a good coach.

I thought he would get another shot after the Saints implosion. If you've got a GM to team with Haslett, I think you'll have a good combination.

Haslett's problem may be less his head coaching tenure with the Saints, and more that his next gig was DC for the Rams. It's not exactly like he immediately went out and proved his coaching credentials after being fired.

And to your previous question for me, I'm not arguing your point - just the accuracy of your statement.

But the answer is no - I don't think they (the pre-Payton) Saints had the talent to make the playoffs because their QB(s) sucked. I think the presence of a top-caliber QB is the single biggest factor in making or not making the playoffs in the NFL.

So, what did last night tell me??

1) The Coaches obviously were not happy with the effort of the Saints game. "It's the preseason" crowd were wrong.

2) They looked more like they did in the regular season. That first tackle by Diles behind the LOS, looked very similar to the penetrating defense we fell in love with from 2009. "It's the preseason" crowd was right.

3) I saw a 3 man rush get to Romo, after coverage made it difficult to find an open receiver. He escaped, coverage broke down & he found an open receiver, but I still believe this looks promising. If our pass defense makes the same kind of jump & improvement as our run D, we'll have an elite defense. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

4) Jerry Jones didn't look at all happy, preseason or not.

So, what did last night tell me??

1) The Coaches obviously were not happy with the effort of the Saints game. "It's the preseason" crowd were wrong.

2) They looked more like they did in the regular season. That first tackle by Diles behind the LOS, looked very similar to the penetrating defense we fell in love with from 2009. "It's the preseason" crowd was right.

3) I saw a 3 man rush get to Romo, after coverage made it difficult to find an open receiver. He escaped, coverage broke down & he found an open receiver, but I still believe this looks promising. If our pass defense makes the same kind of jump & improvement as our run D, we'll have an elite defense. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

4) Jerry Jones didn't look at all happy, preseason or not.

Good observations. The next test for the Texans will be the first four
games. In past seasons, concentration would wane, and they'd get up
for one game, down for the other. Other times, adversity would hit, and
they'd go into the tank. This season, the team STARTS with adversity
(No Tate, no Cushing). I'm anxious to see how this squad is able to
keep it pushing. On a talent level, they are equal to their opponents.

The test of this team will be their maturity.

Singletary could be added if he does it within next 2 years. Also some of the guys listed above may or may not fit description. Some of them had losing seasons of their own in their first year or two(with prior losing season) but yes, had gotten to the playoffs in 4 years in less.

That would be a good comparison. The 49ers haven't been 8-8 or better since 2002 (10-6). Only difference is that Mike Nolan has been stacking that team with good talent before Singeltary got there. Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, Patrick Willis, Nate Clements (??)... But still, that perennial loser mentality, that mediocre mindset will have to be overcome.

Most people think Singeltary has already overcome that mediocre mindset.

That would be a good comparison. The 49ers haven't been 8-8 or better since 2002 (10-6). Only difference is that Mike Nolan has been stacking that team with good talent before Singeltary got there. Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, Patrick Willis, Nate Clements (??)... But still, that perennial loser mentality, that mediocre mindset will have to be overcome.

Most people think Singeltary has already overcome that mediocre mindset.

I think the 49ers and Raiders are bound to be "surprise" teams of 2010. Both
were a decent quarterback away from respectability. The Raiders have
Jason Campbell, and the Niners are still searching for one (Not sold on Smith).
I'll give Nolan credit for stacking the defense, but the offense is a year or
two away from having sufficient talent.

I think the 49ers and Raiders are bound to be "surprise" teams of 2010. Both
were a decent quarterback away from respectability. The Raiders have
Jason Campbell, and the Niners are still searching for one (Not sold on Smith).
I'll give Nolan credit for stacking the defense, but the offense is a year or
two away from having sufficient talent.

I hear what you're saying. Joe Staley, Chilo Rachal, Iupati, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Crabtree...

At least a year away.

:kitten:

Back