Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak wants immediate improvement

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't know that I've seen this article posted (if so, please merge), but it's worth reading in total. It makes Winston's remarks about (paraphrase) "I'm sure we'll go back and review tapes, and find some good things we did" pretty sad.

Kubiak wants immediate improvement
Defense's inability to stop Saints on downs perturbs Texans coach

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 23, 2010, 12:15AM

If the Texans' objective in New Orleans was to make the Dallas Cowboys overconfident, it was a job well done.

There's no way the Cowboys can watch tape of the Saints' 38-20 victory and take the Texans seriously entering Saturday's nationally televised game at Reliant Stadium.

A second consecutive wretched performance against the Saints has left a lot of Texans fans on the ledge because they believe it's a harbinger of what's in store when the regular season arrives.

Even though it's still preseason, the third exhibition is the most important. Coaches treat it like the regular season before resting most of their starters in the last preseason game.

A victory over the Cowboys would reverse the despair of being a Texans fan this week.

"I better not have to appeal to them on anything," coach Gary Kubiak said Sunday. "If they watch this film and feel good about what we were doing, then something's wrong.

"We're going to spend a lot of time (Monday) in this (meeting) room and talk about some issues that we have - talk about preparing to play games, talk about doing the little things to win.

"We've got the right guys, and they'll come back and play better this week."

The Texans couldn't play worse on defense. Not only did they allow 409 yards, including 198 rushing, they let New Orleans convert 50 percent of its third-down plays and 100 percent of its fourth-down attempts. The Saints controlled the ball for 40 minutes.

The Saints are the Super Bowl champions. The Cowboys are Super Bowl contenders coming off a victory at San Diego.

"We're going to play an excellent team, and our (starters) are going to play at least three quarters," Kubiak said. "Most everybody in the league approaches the first three quarters of this game like it's regular season. We'll see where we're at. We need to respond. We need to play a lot better."

Kubiak mentioned a few defensive players - second-year free safety Troy Nolan, rookie cornerback Kareem Jackson and rookie defensive tackle Earl Mitchell - in a positive light.

Nolan had five unassisted tackles and a sack on a blitz. Mitchell was part of the inside rotation and had two tackles.

Unlike some of his players who pointed out that as bad as the New Orleans performance was, it was still just a preseason game, Kubiak doesn't make excuses.

"I never look at it that way," Kubiak said. "It wasn't good. We got pushed around. Some of the things that went on in that game, it wasn't good. Our attention to detail, our effort at times -it's not near what it needs to be for us to get ready to play Indianapolis (in the regular-season opener). Obviously, we've got some things to fix and some issues to attend to, and we'll do that."

The turnaround better start with the defense.

"We have to stop the run," Kubiak said. "That was the biggest regression.

"And we couldn't get off the field (on third down). I don't think we tackled very well in space. It was just too easy for them to stay on the field. I don't think we were doing anything wrong scheme-wise. I just don't think we executed what we were supposed to be doing very well."

Gary is upset the team was killed by Drew Brees and some third string QB neither one of which is as good as Manning. Who would have thought?

Gary is upset the team was killed by Drew Brees and some third string QB neither one of which is as good as Manning. Who would have thought?

Brees had a terrible game. 5 of 10 for 36 yards and a QB rating of 58.8...

Brees had a terrible game. 5 of 10 for 36 yards and a QB rating of 58.8...
he played far better than the stats showed. He also barely threw the ball too, considering they were running down our throats. And one of those passes was a clutch 3rd conversion near the end zone, while he was falling down. It was a pretty awesome play.

That of course led to him hurrying up the line and getting an easy rushing "David Carr" type TD.

After Saturday nights fiasco,if Kubes didn't want the title of this thread he should be fired immediately.

More lip srevice,the proof will be in the substance not just in Kubes words.

Sorry y'all, but this is just another typical Kubiak team. I wish I felt differently about the matter, but I've lost confidence in our head coach. I hope I am proven wrong many times over this season, but last Saturday did not surprise me at all. Kubiak has been and remains a milquetoast head coach in my mind.

The Saints ran the ball a lot more and Drew played better than it looked like he did no stats tell the whole story.

he played far better than the stats showed. He also barely threw the ball too, considering they were running down our throats. And one of those passes was a clutch 3rd conversion near the end zone, while he was falling down. It was a pretty awesome play.

That of course led to him hurrying up the line and getting an easy rushing "David Carr" type TD.

Understood. That said, the Texans were fairly lucky that they caught Brees not playing at his normal standard. That was my point to Gary.

I'm sure the defense and offense will improve once the season is underway and it's too late to make the playoffs... :(

We don't need to be talking about Drew Brees. Chase freakin Daniel was beating our 1st string Defense.

The way he looked I hope he gets cut and we pick him up to be our 2nd string QB. He probably doesn't get cut though. He looked better than Patrick Ramsey, the Saints current 2nd string QB.

I'm not nearly concerned about what their QB's did against us. I'm more worried about the 198 rushing yards we gave up.... That's much more alarming.

It's never good when your leading tacklers are your FS and SS (both in double digit tackles).

Alan Burge did a nice spread in the Examiner http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/kubiak-presser-reading-between-the-lines-1

But I don't think its quite time, maybe close, but not yet to pushing eject or :panic:

afterall the Saints won the Superbowl last year while the Texans didn't even make the playoffs. The Saints are healthy, the Texans have lost key players via injury, rehab or suspension. The fact this preseason is on the road, meaning travel & away games only compounds the issues. I get the frustration, I'm just going to let it bring me down, yet :)

The way he looked I hope he gets cut and we pick him up to be our 2nd string QB. He probably doesn't get cut though. He looked better than Patrick Ramsey, the Saints current 2nd string QB.
I wish but I think he'll make the team.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. It's going to be tough to narrow down the roster to 53 and I think we have to carry only 2 QB's. With that said, if the Saints put Daniel on the PS I would think long and hard about picking him up even though we'd have to activate him.

He's clearly better the Jonny-D Booty and would probably challenge Orlavsky for #2. With Kubiak being the QB Guru he is, it seems Daniel could do pretty well in this offense. Dan-O hasn't shown me the 'poise' that a 5 year veteran should have by now. I'm just saysin it likes I sees it - I was actually a fan of signing him after we traded Sage.

meh......I'm waiting for Saturday to see if we're just getting bullshitted again, or if the team actually shows up.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. It's going to be tough to narrow down the roster to 53 and I think we have to carry only 2 QB's. With that said, if the Saints put Daniel on the PS I would think long and hard about picking him up even though we'd have to activate him.

He's clearly better the Jonny-D Booty and would probably challenge Orlavsky for #2. With Kubiak being the QB Guru he is, it seems Daniel could do pretty well in this offense. Dan-O hasn't shown me the 'poise' that a 5 year veteran should have by now. I'm just saysin it likes I sees it - I was actually a fan of signing him after we traded Sage.

Their fans want Holliday ?

Is it the Texans conditioning level? There were rumors that most of the team appeared tired and fatigued during the game

Somehow I don't believe Chase Daniel would anywhere near as well with our O-line playing against some of the teams we have on the schedule. I think he shined for more reasons than his personal talent.

Somehow I don't believe Chase Daniel would anywhere near as well with our O-line playing against some of the teams we have on the schedule. I think he shined for more reasons than his personal talent.

I agree with this! Small qb behind a small OL = not good!

Is it the Texans conditioning level? There were rumors that most of the team appeared tired and fatigued during the game

Again, according to Eric Winston and some other players - they missed their families, were tired and wanted to go home. wtf

The Texans have a habit of making mediocre quarterbacks look like all pro's.

Been doing it for years.

The lone exception being David Carr.

:coffee:

YUP!! Chase ate our freakin' lunch: 15-21 for 182 yards and 3 TD's (against one pick)... :yikes:

He's so short, all the Saints had to do was roll him out or just have him take a few more steps back, and he would just disappear into the crowd or out of sight.:thinking: Our Dmen were looking straight ahead........not down to find the little mutha..........that must have been our problem..............Gosh, if we only had a smaller D:kitten:

That's good 'ol Eric trying to back off of what he said on live, recorded
radio. There's no taking it back. He said it.

If he said THAT, then we're absolutely screwed. Period.

Don't nobody try to tell me any different.

When you post that junk, you reveal your team's nature. You just showed complete softness. Utterly mindless for what these guys get paid and for what they're trying to do (Win a title, supposedly).

Man, I wish I had not read all of this. Just makes me angry.

Well, there are worse things than sticking your foot in your mouth.

eeeew-gross.jpg

I know a place I'd like to stick that pen. Up someone's urethra.

God love Eric Winston, but if he said what he said then that's a classic example of utter stupidity. Kubiak should take that quote and RUN with it this week.

But he won't. He's just cruisin' along the highway, feeling the breeze in his hair.

Okay, I listened to it for the first time. He responded to the question of if the travel of the Cards game and the the practices were tiring to the team and he said Yeah, the guys wanted to just play a good game and go home. I see nothing defeatist in that or that they were taking the game lightly.

Geez some folks need hyperventilation bags around here. Winston said zilch that was offensive. Basically said the team was looking forward to an ordinary schedule.

Geez some folks need hyperventilation bags around here. Winston said zilch that was offensive. Basically said the team was looking forward to an ordinary schedule.

....and when they open up lax against the Colts, it'll be because
training camp was too tough, and they were tired.

We haven't seen anything "new" about 2010 yet.
Maybe it's opening day...

....and when they open up lax against the Colts, it'll be because
training camp was too tough, and they were tired.

We haven't seen anything "new" about 2010 yet.
Maybe it's opening day...

I have no problem with folks who are disappointed with the Saints game but that doesn't justify trying to make an innocent comment into something it was not. There are enough things to piss and moan about without making things up.

I have no problem with folks who are disappointed with the Saints game but that doesn't justify trying to make an innocent comment into something it was not. There are enough things to piss and moan about without making things up.

I think "making things up" is a little strong of a phrase.
It seems more like "making an inference" from his words
and tone of voice. Doesn't seem "made out of whole cloth"
to me.

I was out of town so I didn't get to watch this game, but I heard that it was so bad that it wasn't even worth watching. I was at the pre season game vs NO last season though, and remembered feeling like what many are describing today after watching our defense that year. You can't expect to get better though without making any real moves to fill holes in free agency with quality proven players. This only build through the draft mentality drives me up the wall. I didn't watch the game though, so I won't comment to much about it, but it sure as hell sounds like the same old Texans under Kubiak. A lot of talented guys that are unprepared and lack a lot of fire and intensity. Anyone who thinks that are secondary isn't going to get killed this year is up for a rude awakening.

Back