Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak Collapses at the half

This sucks. Kubiak is a good man.

^^^^
This

Godspeed Gary, You've done your best for this org. Thank you

Now it's time to take care of yourself. You're surrounded by people who love and admire you as a person. Get well soon.

Thoughts and Prayers.

having a mini stroke isn't good. it can be a precursor for the massive stroke that can kill you in the future. but there is treatment. best of health gary.

Last edited:
having a mini stroke isn't good. it can be a precursor for the massive stroke that can kill you in the future. but there is treatment. best of health gary.

I worked with a man who had a series of mini strokes. It permanently altered his personality and cognizance, while leaving his motor and speech skills intact. It was still very sad.

This is just an FYI, nothing more.....Good Read & Informative

ATLANTA -- ESPN College GameDay host Lee Corso suffered a mild stroke May 16 and was hospitalized for eight days. On Saturday, less than four months after losing his ability to speak and partial use of his right arm and leg, Corso was back in front of the cameras alongside Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit hosting college football's most popular pregame show.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...i/09/07/lee.corso.qa/index.html#ixzz2jjwfjekQ

Last edited:
More recent numbers reveal that closer to 10% of patients having a TIA will have a stroke within 3 months.........with half occurring within the first 48 hours. The prognosis is very closely attached to identifying the exact source and identifying the risk factors leading to the source. Prompt control of the source of the problem such as controlling any possible arrhythmia (or maintaining blood thinning for avoidance of further clot formation if the arrhythmia can't be controlled), or performing a carotid endarterectomy (clean out of a plaque-lined carotid artery) will minimize the risk of future stroke. If the problem involves plaque formation (especially if accompanied by hypertension [high blood pressure]), it is typically reflection of what is going on elsewhere in the rest of the cardiovascular system, and future mortality is more commonly tied to a cardiac event rather than a stroke.

Gary will be spending some time with doctors being tested to determine the source/cause of the TIA and how to best treat it to avoid a second TIA or worse -- whether with medication or surgery.

This can run the gamut from being a "lucky" warning that's easily treatable to the beginning of more serious problems. It's wait & see.

Oops, didn't see Dr. CND in da house. I defer to his expertise, which is in no way related to Holiday Inn Express. :fostering:

More recent numbers reveal that closer to 10% of patients having a TIA will have a stroke within 3 months.........with half occurring within the first 48 hours. The prognosis is very closely attached to identifying the exact source and identifying the risk factors leading to the source. Prompt control of the source of the problem such as controlling any possible arrhythmia (or maintaining blood thinning for avoidance of further clot formation if the arrhythmia can't be controlled), or performing a carotid endarterectomy (clean out of a plaque-lined carotid artery) will minimize the risk of future stroke. If the problem involves plaque formation (especially if accompanied by hypertension [high blood pressure]), it is typically reflection of what is going on elsewhere in the rest of the cardiovascular system, and future mortality is more commonly tied to a cardiac event rather than a stroke.

If it's afib related, perhaps Methodist's recently announced grant will provide another solution -- Valderrabano is my brother's cardiologist:

Houston Methodist Receives Multi-Million Dollar Grant From National Institutes of Health to Study Another Way to Cure Atrial Fibrillation

Gary was very lucky to be where he was able to get treatment quickly. I wish him the best my father had a massive stroke and was never the same. I hope Gary and his family the best, time to focus on your health Gary.

I think that it sounds like the TPA worked. The difference between a TIA and a stroke has to do with the duration of symptoms and whether or not it shows up on an MRI. If the TPA is able to completely dissolve the clot, then it does not cause permanent damage and thus does not show up as tissue injury on an MRI.

Certainly afib is a potential culprit, as is vascular disease, but most of the time it ends up being "occult", meaning no specific reason can be found.

He probably will get a CT arteriogram of his brain, an MRI, a carotid duplex, an echocardiogram, and probably a TEE and will probably be sent home on a cardiac event monitor.

Hopefully all will be ok. I was actually getting excited about the way he was running the offense with CK.

>Yes, finally stuff was clicking, all the more reason to believe this city has been cursed by the football gods.

This was the very first thing that ran through my mind at halftime..

TJ

Yes, finally stuff was clicking, all the more reason to believe this city has been cursed by the football gods.

Yes, it seems this team can't catch a break this season. Wonder if we'll ever get to see them win a SB. It just amazes me how a team with so much talent can have so much bad luck. Maybe we are cursed! Well, at least we aren't the only ones. The Falcons have to be feeling the same way.

Any other team would rally around and win one for their coach. Raiders with Al Davis when they beat us with their 10 man offense, Chuck Pagano's Colts last year, Art Modell's Ravens. We crap ourselves and lose for them, drop one in KC in Bum's memory and then choke a huge first half lead for Kubes, the way Kubes would have wanted it.

Hey thanks, care to tell me what's so stupid about it? Do other teams not rally around these kinds of things all the time?

I'm not saying what you said was stupid, but the Kubiak incident happened smack dab in the middle of the game.

Any other team would rally around and win one for their coach. Raiders with Al Davis when they beat us with their 10 man offense, Chuck Pagano's Colts last year, Art Modell's Ravens. We crap ourselves and lose for them, drop one in KC in Bum's memory and then choke a huge first half lead for Kubes, the way Kubes would have wanted it.

Ugh, I would say that's a bit different than your head coach dropping in the middle of a game, there are bigger things at stake then the game. Football teams are very close, and Kubiak tends to be a players coach. Him going down on the field was distracting and pretty chaotic at halftime, we didn't make good adjustments.

And our field goal kicker sucks balls..

Oops, didn't see Dr. CND in da house. I defer to his expertise, which is in no way related to Holiday Inn Express. :fostering:

If it's afib related, perhaps Methodist's recently announced grant will provide another solution -- Valderrabano is my brother's cardiologist:

Houston Methodist Receives Multi-Million Dollar Grant From National Institutes of Health to Study Another Way to Cure Atrial Fibrillation

Valderrabano was my doc too. Great guy and he knows what he is doing. Wish I had gone to him before my failed ablation. My regular cardiologist was Mohammed Attar and the electrophysiologist who screwed up my ablation was Jie Chen. Good guy but I'll leave it at that. After that I went to Valderrabano and he took care of me with Attar. Regret not going to him sooner for ablation vs. Chen.

Ugh, I would say that's a bit different than your head coach dropping in the middle of a game, there are bigger things at stake then the game. Football teams are very close, and Kubiak tends to be a players coach. Him going down on the field was distracting and pretty chaotic at halftime, we didn't make good adjustments.

And our field goal kicker sucks balls..

True on the last part for sure and I appreciate the previous two posters who were able to respond in a mature manner. I just think the players would have had more of the "win one for Kubes" mentality. Maybe our offense did but our fat kicker and awful defense did not. I just see all these teams rally around their sick/dead coaches and owners and we don't. We rally around letterman jackets and 20/20/20 and Super Bowl or bust.

It will be interesting to see how both Kubiak and McNair handle this going forward. Seems it would be difficult for Gary to "step away" from coaching as he has been at this so long. Hopefully, he will be alright but to put in those hours in that stress has to be "addicting". Will McNair allow him to continue coaching without 100% medical clearance? When Gary bent over I thought "stroke" and then "dang, he was coaching a great game."

True on the last part for sure and I appreciate the previous two posters who were able to respond in a mature manner. I just think the players would have had more of the "win one for Kubes" mentality. Maybe our offense did but our fat kicker and awful defense did not. I just see all these teams rally around their sick/dead coaches and owners and we don't. We rally around letterman jackets and 20/20/20 and Super Bowl or bust.

You could tell in the second half that the game was kind odd, it felt odd in the stands. Heck even I was trying to figure out what happenned to Kubiak during the game, it definitely impacted the team, how could it not?

It will be interesting to see how both Kubiak and McNair handle this going forward. Seems it would be difficult for Gary to "step away" from coaching as he has been at this so long. Hopefully, he will be alright but to put in those hours in that stress has to be "addicting". Will McNair allow him to continue coaching without 100% medical clearance? When Gary bent over I thought "stroke" and then "dang, he was coaching a great game."

Gary has coached his last game for the Texans, he seriously can't think about coming back to coaching. In today's world of the NFL why would you allow a coach with a mini stroke to return, how can you talk about player safety and then continue to let a coach coach after a mini stroke.

Why would you even risk coming back, you have all the money you could ever need, your family, and well your health is at risk. Stay home, get well, enjoy doing charities and back away from the stress/high risk job.

The Texans were the best team in the league the 1st half of the Seahawks and Colts games . They stunk the 2nd half of each game for whatever reason . I think Kubiak going down bothered them , it had to , but nobody went down vs Seattle .

The key in both was dumb mistakes and giving the other team a chance . Tate's fumble and the pick 6 hurt but so did Schaub's first pick vs Seatlle . Against the Colts you have 3 missed FGs , Reed putting his elbow upside a WRs head , hitting Luck late , and blowing a coverage .

If the doctors give him clearance, I see him coming back to coaching. And no way will McNair fire him after this season, even if the results are 2-14. I could not envision a situation where McNair fires his golden boy after suffering a stroke during the middle of a game.

However, if coaching is directly contributing to Kubiak's condition, I would hope that he makes the 'right' decision for his family, not the franchise, players, or sport he loves. I would assume his family is priority based on what we know about Gary Kubiak. If this is a condition with a percentage chance, I do not think it's worth it, all things considered.

Nobody could, or would, blame him at all for walking away.

If the doctors give him clearance, I see him coming back to coaching. And no way will McNair fire him after this season, even if the results are 2-14. I could not envision a situation where McNair fires his golden boy after suffering a stroke during the middle of a game.

Spot on. Barring a medical prognosis prohibiting him from coaching, firing Kubiak discussions are now moot. If able, he will be back.

If the source of his TIA is entirely controllable and is indeed completely controlled, such as the most likely AF, by medication or ablation, do not be surprised to see him return within the next 2 weeks.

Spot on. Barring a medical prognosis prohibiting him from coaching, firing Kubiak discussions are now moot. If able, he will be back.

My thought pre-mini-stroke was that Kubiak was going to be back. There were excuses set in place before Kubiak fell out. Schaub crappin the bed, injuries to the D..

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/275346/texans-gary-kubiak-cleared-to-leave-hospital

Texans coach Gary Kubiak has been cleared to leave the hospital and return home.
There are conflicting reports out there on whether Kubiak sustained a "mini-stroke" or not. Either way, it's a fantastic sign that he's already out of the hospital after collapsing during Sunday night's loss to the Colts. In fact, he's expected to miss just one week of work and then return to the team ahead of Week 11. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will guide the Texans as they prepare for the Cardinals this week.

If the source of his TIA is entirely controllable and is indeed completely controlled, such as the most likely AF, by medication or ablation, do not be surprised to see him return within the next 2 weeks.

I just hope, that with all the tests, they are able to pinpoint the source and treat it, to where he doesn't have to worry when the big one is going to hit.

Might be the perfect excuse for McNair to move Kubiak to a VP of football operations, allowing him to bring in a new head coach without firing the man. We all know Kubiak is much more than a head coach in this organization, & he's really done a fine job in all aspects of building this organization to what it is...... but, we should be able to find a better head coach.

I don't think there was ever any real question about Kubiak's return as HC next year. That's just the way the Texans FO operates.
However, The discussion about Kubiak's fitness as a HC either before or after the collapse , and the one about his getting well and prognosis as a human being going forward are two different discussions.
Here's hoping for God Speed in your full recovery and good health in the future Coach Kubiak!

Might be the perfect excuse for McNair to move Kubiak to a VP of football operations, allowing him to bring in a new head coach without firing the man. We all know Kubiak is much more than a head coach in this organization, & he's really done a fine job in all aspects of building this organization to what it is...... but, we should be able to find a better head coach.

The success of the Colts could likely be a part of the decision of whether or not the Texans should continue down the same road traveled the last 8 years. If Colts make it to AFC Championship game in addition to also having $40 million to spend in free agency in 2014 vs Texans picking in Top 10 in the 2014 NFL Draft with only $8 million available to spend under the salary cap in the 2014, this will not only dictate change but demand changes in the front office. Not only do the Texans have a failed business model but a business model that has been losing ground to the competition and has reached a point where it getting considerably worse.

However, if coaching is directly contributing to Kubiak's condition, I would hope that he makes the 'right' decision for his family, not the franchise, players, or sport he loves. I would assume his family is priority based on what we know about Gary Kubiak. If this is a condition with a percentage chance, I do not think it's worth it, all things considered.

Nobody could, or would, blame him at all for walking away.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Bump Kube's upstairs, so to speak. Take the day-to-day stress off his plate. Let him be a "consultant" a la Dan Reeves. Hell, let him pick his successor - or at least compile the list of candidates he'd like to see follow him. Whatever. Just back off, Kubes. Go watch your kids play ball.

Part of me wonders if this is why he can never watch FGs...?

The success of the Colts could likely be a part of the decision of whether or not the Texans should continue down the same road traveled the last 8 years. If Colts make it to AFC Championship game in addition to also having $40 million to spend in free agency in 2014 vs Texans picking in Top 10 in the 2014 NFL Draft with only $8 million available to spend under the salary cap in the 2014, this will not only dictate change but demand changes in the front office. Not only do the Texans have a failed business model but a business model that has been losing ground to the competition and has reached a point where it getting considerably worse.

LMAO at "Texans have a failed business model"!!! What a bunch of hogwash.

Forbes Declares Houston Texans Fifth Most Valuable Franchise In NFL

This year, Forbes has your Houston Texans ranked fifth in the NFL in terms of value, to the tune of the team being worth a cool $1,450,000,000.00. Staggering, isn't it? Not a bad return on investment for Bob McNair and his investors; they paid $700,000,000.00 for the franchise a little more than ten years ago.

Show me a business model where a $700 million investment turns into $1.4 BILLION worth, and any expert would say that is anything but a so-called "failed business model".

Your clear agenda blinds you to any credible objectivity.

It is one thing to want a FO overhaul, as many fans agree. But to spew ignorance about "failed business model" in the face of clear success is just goofy, at best.

Go ahead an spin it now. :spin:

Show me a business model where a $700 million investment turns into $1.4 BILLION worth, and any expert would say that is anything but a so-called "failed business model".

It is one thing to want a FO overhaul, as many fans agree. But to spew ignorance about "failed business model" in the face of clear success is just goofy, at best.

As a football fan I would hope you would be more concerned about on field performance and less about how much money McNair makes despite having very little on field success. But then again it never ceases to amaze me how people nowadays admire the rich while the little guy's money is being sucked away left and right.

As a football fan I would hope you would be more concerned about on field performance and less about how much money McNair makes despite having very little on field success. But then again it never ceases to amaze me how people nowadays admire the rich while the little guy's money is being sucked away left and right.

Of course I care about on field performance, but that doesn't mean I swallow baseless hyperbole like sugar cubes.

I have no admiration for rich folks. I could not care less about class envy. So take your little straw man elsewhere, with all due respect. ;)

But to make a statement that the Houston Texans is a "failed business model", I find it silly.

It's all just entertainment to me. So maybe I lack the emotional dependency of the vicarious folks.

Of course I care about on field performance, but that doesn't mean I swallow baseless hyperbole like sugar cubes.

I have no admiration for rich folks. I could not care less about class envy. So take your little straw man elsewhere, with all due respect. ;)

But to make a statement that the Houston Texans is a "failed business model", I find it silly.

It's all just entertainment to me. So maybe I lack the emotional dependency of the vicarious folks.

28,000 posts and it's just entertainment...you might want to check out a movie sometimes...with all due respect...

I'm fairly sure they original post meant 'failed football model' or 'failed championship model'. I understood what they meant.

DB was responding to an earlier post that Texans had a failed business plan so I do not get your post. Also hoping your "little guy" comment has nothing to do with fans with discretionary funds to pay NFL prices?

Having said this, not sure how much Kubiak or team's record historically has to do with worth of this franchise. A football starved fan base that fills the stadium, plus Reliant naming rights and other advertisment money is bigger factor. I give credit to McNair for business plan as it was established way before Kubiak became coach.

Last edited:
28,000 posts and it's just entertainment...you might want to check out a movie sometimes...with all due respect...

I'm fairly sure they original post meant 'failed football model' or 'failed championship model'. I understood what they meant.

Post count as a moderator and member for almost 10 years. Whole lotta' NSZ conversations, as well. Bunch of air and one liners. Big deal. Post count means nothing but wasted time.

You can be sure of whatever you desire, but that's not what the lady said. Words represent ourselves on a forum, so I take them at face value. I try to avoid assumptions, and perhaps you should try it, as well.

Besides, Mr. Reader, my point was watching the NFL is entertainment. Some folks take it to another level with emotional investment. Sorry you were unable to comprehend a fairly basic and clear point.

Context is important...here are the original comments:

'The success of the Colts could likely be a part of the decision of whether or not the Texans should continue down the same road traveled the last 8 years. If Colts make it to AFC Championship game in addition to also having $40 million to spend in free agency in 2014 vs Texans picking in Top 10 in the 2014 NFL Draft with only $8 million available to spend under the salary cap in the 2014, this will not only dictate change but demand changes in the front office. Not only do the Texans have a failed business model but a business model that has been losing ground to the competition and has reached a point where it getting considerably worse.'

I think it's quite clear that the point being made involved talent evaluation and cap management. NOT if the Texans as a whole are profitable overall. You just chose to take it in that direction due to two poorly chosen words.

But whatever....you can obviously out post me quantity wise so I'm moving on. Enjoy your 'victory'....hopefully unlike a Kubiak coached team you can keep it up for four quarters!

But whatever....you can obviously out post me quantity wise so I'm moving on. Enjoy your 'victory'....hopefully unlike a Kubiak coached team you can keep it up for four quarters!

I honestly do not understand the attitude behind your posts. I have never had a beef with you and I'm not sure where your vitriol originates from.

But if you feel the need to be competitive, be my guest. You can "win" the internet!

As far as the original subject with Texian, you could very well be right and things not written correctly taken out of context. That said, Texian is always able to defend herself, and while I rarely agree with her, I do think she is articulate and intelligent and does not need your rush to her defense.

And don't get too caught up in post count. I have been very fortunate to have made many, many friends on Texans Talk/HT.com over the years, and much of the number is directly attributed to conversations with these many fine folks.

Leave it to you DB to take it out of context. Leave it to you to create the SPIN. So you won't get confused further and better understand, I was discussing the ON THE FIELD BUSINESS PLAN. RE: OBJECTIVITY = 2 and 6 vs more Kool Aid excuses and spin.

THE ON FIELD BUSINESS OPERATIONS PLAN IS A FAILED PLAN

Wait...what? Texian's a she?

*Trying to remember if I was an inconsiderate prick towards Texian*

Leave it to you DB to take it out of context. Leave it to you to create the SPIN. So you won't get confused further and better understand, I was discussing the ON THE FIELD BUSINESS PLAN. RE: OBJECTIVITY = 2 and 6 vs more Kool Aid excuses and spin.

THE ON FIELD BUSINESS OPERATIONS PLAN IS A FAILED PLAN

What often cracks me up - and I mean literally makes me laugh - is having the same ultimate goal as another poster but being complete at odds on how we present these perspectives.

You have been so critical of so many aspects of this franchise that I refuse to assume anything into your words. When you say "Texans have a failed business model" , even in the context of hyping an opponent, I am going to read your words as you present them.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. :bubbles:

Wait...what? Texian's a she?

*Trying to remember if I was an inconsiderate prick towards Texian*

'eh, she's a big girl. She has no problem in bing a prick to anyone else, so don't sweat it.

She'd be having an aneurysm by now if I was infantrycak. :D

What often cracks me up - and I mean literally makes me laugh - is having the same ultimate goal as another poster but being complete at odds on how we present these perspectives.

You have been so critical of so many aspects of this franchise that I refuse to assume anything into your words. When you say "Texans have a failed business model" , even in the context of hyping an opponent, I am going to read your words as you present them.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. :bubbles:

'eh, she's a big girl. She has no problem in bing a prick to anyone else, so don't sweat it.

She'd be having an aneurysm by now if I was infantrycak. :D

No Big Deal DB. You're are the only one who came up with such a cockamamie interpretation of the post, a real stretch but can certainly be expected from someone who is all cracked up. Apparently you're the only one who didn't understand.

I've been told that the source of my TIA is entirely controllable but I resist my doctors orders and continue watching Houston Texans football.

I've no one to blame but myself.

if you want to get technical. The business side of the Texans are doing quite well and making tons of money

The entertainment model of the texans. Not so well

Like Vinny coined the phrase a long time ago along the lines of the
Texans being a marketing company with a football division

Anywho..Back on track

Per sports app reports are Kubiak is expected back on week 11

No Big Deal DB. You're are the only one who came up with such a cockamamie interpretation of the post, a real stretch but can certainly be expected from someone who is all cracked up. Apparently you're the only one who didn't understand.

Don't count on it. He's the only one who took the time to respond. Doesn't mean he was the only one who read that and went "wut?"

Don't count on it. He's the only one who took the time to respond. Doesn't mean he was the only one who read that and went "wut?"

He understood the original post perfectly well, just like everyone else. Only DB was also looking pizzing match. Unfortunately he was standing facing a head wind.

Where I come from (and most of the people I know come from) the phrase business model is interpreted to mean business model. Instead of being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, couldn't you just say "no big deal, I probably could've used a different phrase"?

Back