Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak: "Carr is our guy.."

This is the process. He's not going to shut the guy down after the first time benched. Carr is going to play better or sit. The fans will be heard now. Rosenfelds could not have done a better job. David Carr has little hands and no heart. He won't stand in the pocket. Vince Young busted his hand on the helmet of a defender as he threw the ball. He didn't care about the fact he might hurt his thumb. He was focused on making the throw. He has heart. Carr has limited heart and smarts. He would be the perfect 24/7 scripted QB. If there is a situation that requires "guile" he's ****ed.

The fans better not be heard! The last thing I want is our coaching staff making decisions based on the ignorant fans. If the draft and yesterday's benching tells you anything, it's that as fans we can be confident that Kubiak and company are making decisions they believe are best for the team and are not concerned with fallout, others opinions, hurting feelings, or being second-guessed. I, for one, find it refreshing and very encouraging.

Carr must be trying too hard (locking onto targets unaware of the rush around him) blocking out fan noise & fear of contact. A papermache QB that when the wheels come off & the going gets tough comes unraveled & adds to the teams ugly demise :embarrass

The team reacts to David Carr like Eric "Otto" Stratton reacts to Douglas Niedermeyer. They love it when his horse gets hit in the balls. seriously David needs coaching. He needs to learn how to suck up to guys like Salaam so they won't put the knife in his back when the chips are down :). Keeping knifing boys. We, the fans are rooting for you.

I know you true believers are aghast at this attitude but we the fans who want this team to represent are willing to see Caesar knifed in the Senate if it means saving the Republic.

Carr must be trying too hard (locking onto targets unaware of the rush around him) blocking out fan noise & fear of contact. A papermache QB that when the wheels come off & the going gets tough comes unraveled & adds to the teams ugly demise :embarrass

No you are confused. Unaware is not the proper adjective. He's overly aware of the rush. Vince Young would be unaware as he completes his throw in spite of smashing his hand on the defender's helmet. That's the good kind of unaware. I gotta stop bagging on Carr but he's the face of the franchise. You wouldn't believe how hyped me and my buds got watching the Texans playing behind a real live NFL QB.

The fans better not be heard! The last thing I want is our coaching staff making decisions based on the ignorant fans. If the draft and yesterday's benching tells you anything, it's that as fans we can be confident that Kubiak and company are making decisions they believe are best for the team and are not concerned with fallout, others opinions, hurting feelings, or being second-guessed. I, for one, find it refreshing and very encouraging.

The real fans are rooting for Kubiak to bring Carr around or dump him. No more coddle. We aren't re-upping for this stuff.

They still have Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark, and a great offensive line. Aside from losing Edgerrin (who they replaced with a highly recruited running back), what was the major personnel change?

The softening of the running game has made problems for them. We even saw some if it when we played them. Manning has had to be a leader and step it up to a different level. Carr just does not exhibit those qualities.

David Carr has 67 career starts. In those 67 starts, anyone care to guess how many times Carr has thrown for 3 td's in a game?

Okay, I will let the cat of the bag. Three. THREE. Three TD passes in a game 3 times in 67 starts. That is exactly 4.48% of his starts.

Now, Sage comes in and plays 25 minutes of football in one game, and manages to do in 1.5 quarters what Carr is able to do less than 5% of the time career wise in an entire game.

Anyone know how many fumbles Carr has in those 67 starts.

Sixty-Two. Sixty-two friggin fumbles in 67 starts. Almost an average of one per start! Pathetic.

He also has 58 interceptions in those 67 starts. That's 120 turnovers/potential turnovers in 67 career starts. That's 179.10% of the time averaged out.

He has 59 TD passes in that same time. Averaged out, he would throw one TD pass in 88.06% of his starts. A pro QB should be over a one td to game ratio over a career. Carr is at 88% lifetime.

Ladies and Gents, those numbers are pathetic. Those are the tangibles. Let's not even talk about his lack of poise, his lack of leadership, his inability to side step the rush or step up into the pocket, his holding onto the ball too long and sacking himself, his staring down of receivers, his inability to hit someone down the seam against a cover 2, and on and on. Carr neither deserves nor should get one more start. How many QB's stare down a receiver and throw into what amounts to quadruple coverage at this level? This QB is toast. He is garbage, and should be benched immediately.

Out of reverence for our member who has affinity for the other white meat and Carr's first turnover of the game, I give you a quadruple Harumph!

David Carr has 67 career starts. In those 67 starts, anyone care to guess how many times Carr has thrown for 3 td's in a game?

Okay, I will let the cat of the bag. Three. THREE. Three TD passes in a game 3 times in 67 starts. That is exactly 4.48% of his starts.

Now, Sage comes in and plays 25 minutes of football in one game, and manages to do in 1.5 quarters what Carr is able to do less than 5% of the time career wise in an entire game.

Sixty-Two. Sixty-two friggin fumbles in 67 starts. Almost an average of one per start! Pathetic.

He also has 58 interceptions in those 67 starts. That's 120 turnovers/potential turnovers in 67 career starts. That's 179.10% of the time averaged out.

He has 59 TD passes in that same time. Averaged out, he would throw one TD pass in 88.06% of his starts. A pro QB should be over a one td to game ratio over a career. Carr is at 88% lifetime.

Ladies and Gents, those numbers are pathetic. Those are the tangibles. Let's not even talk about his lack of poise, his lack of leadership, his inability to side step the rush or step up into the pocket, his holding onto the ball too long and sacking himself, his staring down of receivers, his inability to hit someone down the seam against a cover 2, and on and on. Carr neither deserves nor should get one more start. How many QB's stare down a receiver and throw into what amounts to quadruple coverage at this level? This QB is toast. He is garbage, and should be benched immediately.

So what are you trying to say here?

Yeah, people said the same sort of things about guys like Young, Favre, & Hasselbeck off the top of my head & they developed to be at the very least serviceable QBs. Now i am not saying that Carr is one of those guys or will become one but quite frankly, bad teams can make even HOF QB's look bad period. Sometimes a sit out/observation can do wonders for a QB, lets just hope that DC is one of those types of QB's who reacts the right way.

The way you guys are talking we were primed for a deep playoff run this year. I also find it comical that you guys have all this empirical evidence that the guy is a bum when Our coach who played behind HOF QB's & coached them as well says that we can win with this guy. Forgive me if i roll with Kubiak on this one.

Now you know I am not a Carr lover, but this is silly. He's been sacked 208+ times in his careeer... how many blown ACLs, how many concussions, how many torn rotator cuffs, how many broken bones, how many bruised big toes, how many times has he just walked to the sideline and said screw it, you go out there.

you all want Carr to forget the poundings he's taken the past 4 years, and look down field, regardless what is happening around him. I think we should do the same. Forget this 3 TD game thing, it means nothing. Won't help or hurt our team going forward. Same with the fumbles, the INTs, etc... etc......

Has Kubiak made progress with Carr this year?? That's the only question about Carr we need to be asking.

Anyone who cannot see the change in fortune for the team once Sage came off the bench is simply in denial. David Carr has worn out his welcome here. We could have had Vince but I will gladly take Mario since he looks to be a leader the rest of the defense can respect. That last sentence should be bolded.

Now you know I am not a Carr lover, but this is silly. He's been sacked 208+ times in his careeer... how many blown ACLs, how many concussions, how many torn rotator cuffs, how many broken bones, how many bruised big toes, how many times has he just walked to the sideline and said screw it, you go out there.

you all want Carr to forget the poundings he's taken the past 4 years, and look down field, regardless what is happening around him. I think we should do the same. Forget this 3 TD game thing, it means nothing. Won't help or hurt our team going forward. Same with the fumbles, the INTs, etc... etc......

Has Kubiak made progress with Carr this year?? That's the only question about Carr we need to be asking.

As far as I know - How many blown acl's? Zero. How many concussions? Zero. How many torn rotator cuffs? Zero. But, having said that, I don't call his toughness into question. A tough QB is great, but it doesn't automatically equate to a winning QB either. So, now his numbers are meaningless. This is a 67 game career we are talking about here. Exactly how many more years are you willing to piddle away with this guy. Until Andre is old and decripit? I'm not willing to wait for this supposed miracle to occur any longer. At what point are you willing to say he is what he is, and forget the miracle? We are waiting for Kibiak to turn water into wine, and it isn't going to happen.

When Sage entered the game the Texans looked like an entirely different team - we would have won if Sage had started.

The Texans front office is being incredible stubborn because of the wasted money they in Carr's contract. Dumb.

At what point are you willing to say he is what he is, and forget the miracle? We are waiting for Kibiak to turn water into wine, and it isn't going to happen.

Now hold on Pards...

Your tone is coming off as if David hasn't been showing improvement this season...He has...

Kubiak doesn't equal Jesus, but if you look at his total body of work since he became a Texan, I am not sure how you come away un-impressed...

Point: It's way too early for Kubes to give up on David...You have to atleast give him the rest of the season before you make that kind of decision...David as far as I'm concerned is still an unknown at this point. At times he plays like a rookie, but overall his performance has progressively gotten better since Kubiak has began mentoring him...Give Carr the rest of the year, and if he still looks like Carr '05, then we should bench him, and pick up a veteran...

Exactly how many more years are you willing to piddle away with this guy.

I was done with him back in January......

but the organization made the decision to give him $8 million. regardless who was in the draft, I thought it was time we moved on.

That being said, saying I told you so now, doesn't even come close to being relevant. Because it doesn't matter.

GK has been honest with us about Carr. He said he was the most improved player on this squad since OTAs..... I have to believe him. He has said as David goes, so the team goes..... I have to believe him. He has said that David still does some bad things that we need to work on. Trust me I believe him.

He's never said that David gives this team the best chance to win. He even made that clear, when everyone was hoping Sage would start with the first team in the preseason.

He's building a better football team, and he's making David a better QB. two different things. The fans want wins right now....... I don't understand why. GK said he's building a football team that will be a winning football team, and he isn't taking shortcuts so we can win now.

Bottom line, until CoachK feels David is no longer progressing, David will be the starter. & AFAIK, that's the way it should be.

I don't care about David. But I like a coach who will stick by his guy. Now if I thought GK didn't care, and wasn't working with David through the week, but still said he'll be the starter no matter what, then i'd be upset.

But Coach said, "he's fumbling a lot. I don't like him to fumble a lot. We'll work on him not fumbling"

I can dig it.

Kubiak is really worrying me right about now. He chose Carr a few months back when he first came to the team. He went against popular opinion and passed on VY and said Carr was his guy come hell or high water. He picked up Carr's option, anointed him starter, and passed on some other top level QBs in this past draft. He is stuck with him and because of that, I feel that Kubiak panicked. He blinked. Bud and VY got a good laugh out of that one I would imagine.

Kubiak may have thrown away weeks of growing confidence by benching Carr....or maybe it lights a fire under Carr and helps him grow..either way it was a risky panic move...If you bench a guy after 2 bad quarters of football, you might as well start shopping him around because it's obvious he isn't convinced anymore.

in my opinion Carr has shown some significant improvement under Kubiak in a short period of time. Benching him in the Titans matchup just doesnt play well with me and I felt that it showed Carr up pretty bad. These dudes stuck with him when everyone wanted to make a change and now they want to alienate him on Week7? And they do this after improvement has been evident as well as a strong game last week v. Jacksonville. I guess Head Coaches can be rookies too.

When Sage entered the game the Texans looked like an entirely different team - we would have won if Sage had started.

The Texans front office is being incredible stubborn because of the wasted money they in Carr's contract. Dumb.

When Sage entered the game it was an entirely different game as well. He faced few blitzes and softer coverages. He played great. He threw his hat in the ring. But Kubiak chose Carr. He can't be so deluded that he thinks he can turn Carr into gold in 7 weeks? Barring 'phantom' injury, he needs to stick with the horse he rode in on and that horse is David Carr.

I don't think the loyalty should be based on the contract but moreso on patience and the desire to create stability and confidence. If they gave up on a guy in Week7 then how much did they really believe in him when they exercised the option?

I just want to win and if Sage truly gives our team the best chance to win, put him in. However, Kubiak and McNair DO NOT get off the hook for picking Carr over VY. Hopefully it all works out for all of us fans.

in my opinion Carr has shown some significant improvement under Kubiak in a short period of time. Benching him in the Titans matchup just doesnt play well with me and I felt that it showed Carr up pretty bad. These dudes stuck with him when everyone wanted to make a change and now they want to alienate him on Week7? And they do this after improvement has been evident as well as a strong game last week v. Jacksonville. I guess Head Coaches can be rookies too.

IMO, I can agree that I don't like that he did it during this particular game.... if people weren't already second guessing the decision to stick with Carr already. It's not important, but to me it gives people the ability to say, "See, I was right, we should've drafted Vince, since we're benching this guy anyway."

I like the move of benching Carr....... but to say it was brought about by this game alone is silly. He's had several bad games & I'm sure he's been told to protect the football since the beggining of the season. Maybe Coach K felt like he wasn't getting through, and had to take the next step.

To do this, knowing the scrutiny he would face may say something indeed about Kubiak...... that he's about winning football games, and not "saving face". & you gotta respect that.

The horse he rode in on is now 20-51 as a starter in the NFL -- that is pathetic.

Dude, your preaching to the choir. I have never been a believer in Carr since Day One. I didn't think drafting a QB first year was the right way to go. My problem is that Kubiak and Co. chose Carr after his contract expired, thus they are now responsible, not Casserley and it makes me question either Kubiak's honesty about Carr during the interview process or about Kubiak's ability to evaluate talent.

This is going to be a hit or miss move by Kubiak. A bit of a panic move this early in the season imho. If it works out Kubiak looks genius but if it doesnt Kubiak and Co. must not be let off the hook. McNair just needs to totally get out of any direct involvement in the football operations because even back when we resigned Carr, it had the stink of 'owner meddling' all over it. Just sign the checks and continue to raise ticket prices and concession costs....the guy just needs to start putting a better product on the field or this franchise will plummet like Enron.

doug

Dude, your preaching to the choir. I have never been a believer in Carr since Day One. I didn't think drafting a QB first year was the right way to go. My problem is that Kubiak and Co. chose Carr after his contract expired, thus they are now responsible, not Casserley and it makes me question either Kubiak's honesty about Carr during the interview process or about Kubiak's ability to evaluate talent.

This is going to be a hit or miss move by Kubiak. A bit of a panic move this early in the season imho. If it works out Kubiak looks genius but if it doesnt Kubiak and Co. must not be let off the hook. McNair just needs to totally get out of any direct involvement in the football operations because even back when we resigned Carr, it had the stink of 'owner meddling' all over it. Just sign the checks and continue to raise ticket prices and concession costs....the guy just needs to start putting a better product on the field or this franchise will plummet like Enron.

doug

such a Carr lover ;)

When Sage entered the game it was an entirely different game as well. He faced few blitzes and softer coverages. He played great. He threw his hat in the ring. But Kubiak chose Carr. He can't be so deluded that he thinks he can turn Carr into gold in 7 weeks? Barring 'phantom' injury, he needs to stick with the horse he rode in on and that horse is David Carr.

I think his horse is Lame.

a backup qb comes in to a game (with a change in scheme) and outperforms the starter and now everyone wants sage to start. its really frustrating reading everyone comments since the game.

-before we even hired kubiak, most of us here are ready to give him a year to learn the offense and break his old/bad habits to develop new/better ones. we are at game 7 of 16.

-and again after everyone here is ready to look past his 4 years with palmer/pendry, everyone wanting sage to start is now is going back to carrs stats as evidence. im sorry but if kubiak was working with carr since year 1 - i would allow it, but thats not the case.

-kubiak said he would pull him if he fumbled him again - and he fumbled! so pull him out and sit him for the rest of the game. how is this an automatic start for sage next week?

im all for doing whats best for the team and FOR THE TACKS GAME it was pulling carr. thats not whats best for the rest of the season. call me a carr lover, but i just want to see the guy do well after suffering through the worst parts of his career. he is now in a system that HE believes in and a coach that believes in him.

write me down as the guy who is ready to give him the rest of the season before we start looking elsewhere

a backup qb comes in to a game (with a change in scheme) and outperforms the starter and now everyone wants sage to start. its really frustrating reading everyone comments since the game.

-before we even hired kubiak, most of us here are ready to give him a year to learn the offense and break his old/bad habits to develop new/better ones. we are at game 7 of 16.

-and again after everyone here is ready to look past his 4 years with palmer/pendry, everyone wanting sage to start is now is going back to carrs stats as evidence. im sorry but if kubiak was working with carr since year 1 - i would allow it, but thats not the case.

-kubiak said he would pull him if he fumbled him again - and he fumbled! so pull him out and sit him for the rest of the game. how is this an automatic start for sage next week?

im all for doing whats best for the team and FOR THE TACKS GAME it was pulling carr. thats not whats best for the rest of the season. call me a carr lover, but i just want to see the guy do well after suffering through the worst parts of his career. he is now in a system that HE believes in and a coach that believes in him.

write me down as the guy who is ready to give him the rest of the season before we start looking elsewhere

Your not a Carr lover just because you think Week7 is a bit early for a QB change based on the improvement that has been shown.

Did he fall back into some bad habits on Sunday, yeah. He held onto the ball too long and focused on one target too often. The fumbles are just part of football when you are getting sacked. The guy has fumbled a lot but that is mostly due to factors other than his ability to hold onto the ball (sheer number of sacks he has taken, sacks, playing from behind) I would imagine his fumble/sack ratio is average at worst.

To put an ultimatum on 'your guy' in Week7 is way too early based on what any sane individual knew was up ahead in regards to the development of Carr. The guy has inherent flaws in his game but Kubiak has been helping fix or remediate them. I just hope his panic move on Sunday doesnt retard the development of Carr under him. Sage playing well didn't help matters any. When you pull a QB it starts a controversy. Any experienced coach should know that...especially one from Denver.

I may feel Sage may be our best chance to win football games this year but if Carr isn't starting he has to be traded or we will never get closure or turn page as a franchise. I say RE-anoint him as the starter for the balance of the year or trade him. Quarterback by committee and QB controversies are not conducive to a team's development and with all our youth we need as much stability and direction as possible.

Either Carr is starter and gets a longer leash for the remainder of the year OR you trade him ASAP. Just choose.

Your not a Carr lover just because you think Week7 is a bit early for a QB change based on the improvement that has been shown.

Did he fall back into some bad habits on Sunday, yeah. He held onto the ball too long and focused on one target too often. The fumbles are just part of football when you are getting sacked. The guy has fumbled a lot but that is mostly due to factors other than his ability to hold onto the ball (sheer number of sacks he has taken, sacks, playing from behind) I would imagine his fumble/sack ratio is average at worst.

To put an ultimatum on 'your guy' in Week7 is way too early based on what any sane individual knew was up ahead in regards to the development of Carr. The guy has inherent flaws in his game but Kubiak has been helping fix or remediate them. I just hope his panic move on Sunday doesnt retard the development of Carr under him. Sage playing well didn't help matters any. When you pull a QB it starts a controversy. Any experienced coach should know that...especially one from Denver.

I may feel Sage may be our best chance to win football games this year but if Carr isn't starting he has to be traded or we will never get closure or turn page as a franchise. I say RE-anoint him as the starter for the balance of the year or trade him. Quarterback by committee and QB controversies are not conducive to a team's development and with all our youth we need as much stability and direction as possible.

Either Carr is starter and gets a longer leash for the remainder of the year OR you trade him ASAP. Just choose.

I agree, but if you're a head coach and want to send a meassage and/or get the attention of your starter, yesterday's opportunity was a pretty good one. I'm interested to see how David responds on the field...

Kubes just said that "Carr is the future of this franchise" and "We are going to keep doing what we have been doing".

What I get out of these 2 statements is our future is doomed and we will keep losing.

Kubes just said that "Carr is the future of this franchise" and "We are going to keep doing what we have been doing".

What I get out of these 2 statements is our future is doomed and we will keep losing.

i guess since you posted the negative view, ill give the possitive side: kubiak will continue to push carr to improve. kubiak is sticking to a SYSTEM that works

He really said that? Oy. I hope that was just for public consumption, because if it isn't, he is a moron. I just lost all respect for Kubes if he really believes that. Keep doing the same stupid stuff that isn't working over and over, while banging ones head against the wall. Ya, that sounds like a plan. Okay, let me be the first to start. So, who is our next loser head coach going to be after this loser gets fired? :brickwall

He really said that? Oy. I hope that was just for public consumption, because if it isn't, he is a moron. I just lost all respect for Kubes if he really believes that. Keep doing the same stupid stuff that isn't working over and over, while banging ones head against the wall. Ya, that sounds like a plan. Okay, let me be the first to start. So, who is our next loser head coach going to be after this loser gets fired? :brickwall

You're not seeing the big picture here. I, like you, am not the biggest David Carr fan, but the man set out a path at the beginning of the year. He set out goals, and milestones for every part of this team.

Part of that is a plan to help David experience some success, and for this team to be successful with David at QB.

He's said since the beginning that as long as David does what he asks him to do, and shows progress, he's going to stick with David.

Let's look at it this way. If Steve Mcnair was with the Tennessee Titans, who would give the Titans a better chance to win?? I believe the answer is McNair. But the Titans decided they'd rather start Vince this year so he won't be "learning" next year, and they can really contend for a playoff spot. So they ditched McNair, making it clear to the fans, the most important thing is to get Vince experience, & that he learns how to play football in the NFL.

That's the same way it is here. Sure, David isn't a rookie....... & we will try to win some games this year. But it is more important for us to teach & train David Carr how to be a QB in the NFL. You & I may believe that Sage is the better QB. But Kubiak doesn't feel that Sage is better than David can be.

My opinion?? He might be right. & I say that as a guy who never wanted David Carr to be the first QB of the Houston Texans.

I like that we have a coach who says this is my guy, and sticks to it. Especially since he continues to say we will work on this, we will work on that.

Let's look at it this way. If Steve Mcnair was with the Tennessee Titans, who would give the Titans a better chance to win?? I believe the answer is McNair. But the Titans decided they'd rather start Vince this year so he won't be "learning" next year, and they can really contend for a playoff spot. So they ditched McNair, making it clear to the fans, the most important thing is to get Vince experience, & that he learns how to play football in the NFL.

The McNair situation was totally about money.

McNair had a huge roster bonus coming due and the Titans wanted to renegotiate the deal to a lot less money.

McNair pushed their hands to cut him so he could test the open market.

Then, Tennessee made the decision to just get value for a guy they couldn't renegotiate with.

Tennessee would have rather kept McNair, you are right about that, but it was too expensive for them.

Therefore, they made the best decision they could considering the circumstances.

That is the era of free agency.

What an ignorant response.

Maybe you should actually read the post he was responding to and/or mix in a little of the two participants past history on the subject...
never mind, just don't reply to what you don't understand...

...if you do that, I guess that would be about the last reply we get out of you.

The point I am making is that he DIDN'T stick with his guy.

doug

He didn't stick with him for that game. But he will start him against NYG.

60 fumbles in 67 games, when do you think we should address that problem?? In the offseason?? do you think we should let him play it out of his system over the next 60 games??

McNair pushed their hands to cut him so he could test the open market.

That is the era of free agency.

Not exactly. Fisher said he was away from the office when that stuff happened. There's no doubt in his mind they could've figured something out, had he been involved with the decision.

Old QBs don't want to test the open market.

Tennessee ditched McNair, so they could start Vince this year.

You can't build a football team by making knee jerk calls every time something goes wrong (like signing Ron Dayne, for example). Sure, this is our fifth year, but the first four were dismal and best forgotten. This is effectively our first year, and it's going to have problems. If you change around your personnel - particularly your QB - every couple of games then the players, coaches and everyone involved will never be able to settle and get comfortable with what is basically a new system. Sure - if DC had been awful all season, fair enough: bench him. But he has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and that behind a team that is only just now beginning to gel.

Yes he's made some bad decisions but show me a quarterback who hasn't. You dont get a 94.3% rating on the season to date if you suck.

Yes he had a bad game but Rex Grossman had a much worse one against the Cardinals and look what happened the next game. Credit to Kubiak for pulling DC - it's what Lovie Smith should have done to Grossman. But putting Grossman straight back out there was precisely the right call and the same goes for our situation.

Yes Carr has some bad habits but I put a lot of the blame for that on his college coaches and on the previous Texans staff. You can't stare down your receiver every damn play. That should have been beaten out of him a long time ago. But what do you hear Kubiak talking about every week? He talks about how coachable Carr is - give the guy some time to work in a setup that will improve his overall game rather than just crossing their fingers and trusting that his talent will create plays.

Sage has been great - it's invaluable having someone at no.2 who can step up and do a job, but to call for Carr to be benched permanently or traded after ONE bad game on the season? For god's sake, show a shred of loyalty.

You can't build a football team by making knee jerk calls every time something goes wrong

We need to define knee-jerk.
This goes back to Indy..... 2 fumbles that put Indy inside our 20, and led directly to 10 points agianst us. he had 3 fumbles on the day.

Washington.... 3 fumbles..... 2 recovered, the 3rd led to a field goal(3 points against us) in the third Qtr.

Miami.... 2 fumbles. One led to a Field goal by Miami(3 points against us).

Tennessee.... 2 fumbles... one led to 7 points by Tennessee.

EphraimSallam..... far as I know, he's been penalty free up to the Tennessee game.

You can't build a football team by making knee jerk calls every time something goes wrong (like signing Ron Dayne, for example). Sure, this is our fifth year, but the first four were dismal and best forgotten. This is effectively our first year, and it's going to have problems. If you change around your personnel - particularly your QB - every couple of games then the players, coaches and everyone involved will never be able to settle and get comfortable with what is basically a new system. Sure - if DC had been awful all season, fair enough: bench him. But he has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and that behind a team that is only just now beginning to gel.

Yes he's made some bad decisions but show me a quarterback who hasn't. You dont get a 94.3% rating on the season to date if you suck.

Yes he had a bad game but Rex Grossman had a much worse one against the Cardinals and look what happened the next game. Credit to Kubiak for pulling DC - it's what Lovie Smith should have done to Grossman. But putting Grossman straight back out there was precisely the right call and the same goes for our situation.

Yes Carr has some bad habits but I put a lot of the blame for that on his college coaches and on the previous Texans staff. You can't stare down your receiver every damn play. That should have been beaten out of him a long time ago. But what do you hear Kubiak talking about every week? He talks about how coachable Carr is - give the guy some time to work in a setup that will improve his overall game rather than just crossing their fingers and trusting that his talent will create plays.

Sage has been great - it's invaluable having someone at no.2 who can step up and do a job, but to call for Carr to be benched permanently or traded after ONE bad game on the season? For god's sake, show a shred of loyalty.

So if I understand your string of logic correctly, Kubiak should just forget 4 years of film on Carr and not leverage any of his playing or coaching experience to set expectations; and then carry them out especially after the move yielded results that we have never seen from Carr in the past? Moreover, Rex Grossman, Lovie and the Bears are irrelevant to our situation.

Kubiak has loyalty to the fans of Houston, not to one man who was the third best QB on the field in Nashville this past Sunday.

So if I understand your string of logic correctly, Kubiak should just forget 4 years of film on Carr and not leverage any of his playing or coaching experience to set expectations; and then carry them out especially after the move yielded results that we have never seen from Carr in the past? Moreover, Rex Grossman, Lovie and the Bears are irrelevant to our situation.

Kubiak has loyalty to the fans of Houston, not to one man who was the third best QB on the field in Nashville this past Sunday.

No - he should trust the playing and coaching experience that you mentioned and go with what he believes to be the right call. Which is what he will do and what he's doing. Pulling Carr when he's having a woeful day was right. Starting him next week is right too.

I'm sure he has watched 4 years of film on Carr and he believes that Carr is the right starter for the job. I agree. DC has a huge amount of talent but he's been badly coached. Hopefully Kubiak is the guy to fix that.

And I wasn't talking about Kubiak's loyalty - I was talking about the fans. I just hate the way people turn so completely on someone because they screw up through one half. I'm not saying he was perfect this season up to then, but he has been good overall. Four years of crap can't be overturned in 7 weeks. This is going to take a little time and we're going in right direction overall.

We need to define knee-jerk.

You're right - Carr's fumbles have really cost us this year - but the rest of his play has been pretty encouraging. I'm not saying that he IS without a doubt the right guy, I'm just saying that so far I think his good has outweighed his bad and Kubiak seems to believe that too. There just seems to be a lot of people calling for his head and declaring Sage Rosenfels the answer to all our prayers on the basis of the Titans game, which is nonsense. He has a fumbling problem, which needs to be remedied, but he's been productive too.

You're right - Carr's fumbles have really cost us this year - but the rest of his play has been pretty encouraging. I'm not saying that he IS without a doubt the right guy, I'm just saying that so far I think his good has outweighed his bad and Kubiak seems to believe that too. There just seems to be a lot of people calling for his head and declaring Sage Rosenfels the answer to all our prayers on the basis of the Titans game, which is nonsense. He has a fumbling problem, which needs to be remedied, but he's been productive too.

It's not just a fumble problem. It's a problem with leadership and being respected. He has body language is like a little kid's body language. Rosenfeld's demeanor is much more mature. Carr acts like a QB that's never been benched. He needs some whiskey in his milkshake of life. That's as simple as I can put it.

It's not just a fumble problem. It's a problem with leadership and being respected. He has body language is like a little kid's body language. Rosenfeld's demeanor is much more mature. Carr acts like a QB that's never been benched. He needs some whiskey in his milkshake of life. That's as simple as I can put it.

Im not really sure how you expect the guy to act...

IMO, if you bench any starting QB in the leauge they'd be upset and it would show....

Would you rather he not give a damn ???

Im not really sure how you expect the guy to act...

IMO, if you bench any starting QB in the leauge they'd be upset and it would show....

Would you rather he not give a damn ???

I wasn't talking about how he acted after the benching. I was talking about him in general. He's the QB of the Texans but he'll never be my QB. He just doesn't have it. It being the intangibles. I would feel sorry for him but he's worth a mint.

Back