Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubes on 610 this AM...

Next to death and taxes . . .

I'd say the next surest thing, is that Mathis gets cut in training camp.

He is relatively cheap. And the times he has played, he has been a difference maker.

First year he was an on and off gimp. Second year he couldn't have come back any faster. During the time early in the preseason when there were reports he wasn't following directions about route running, he had an undiagnosed foot fracture. He pushed to come back, and injured something else.

Even the few moments he played last season, he was electric.

Of course, there are no ways to prevent hamstring injuries really, but being a fast guy and repeated hamstring injuries are risk factors.

If Mathis can't get on the field, then I can see why he'd be gone. However, if he is healthy, I want him on the team, even if he never plays a single snap at WR. I know Kubiak wants versatile players that can contribute in more ways than one, but there is something to be said for being the best at one thing, too. When Mathis is healthy, he might be the best kick returner in the NFL. Think about that. There aren't too many positions (OK, none) where the Texans have the best player in the NFL, or even one of the top 5 (AJ might make that cut ... maybe).

If team management has the goal of having the best possible players at each position, I really think Mathis fits that bill at kick returner. Slot him as the #5 WR and let him run back kicks really fast. How many #5 WRs see the field much in the NFL anyway? I just have a bad feeling that Kubiak might cut him and it comes back to haunt us. The team is not good enough to be releasing All Pro players yet(better than just Pro Bowl). That said ......

Honoring Earl 34 said:
Can't make the club from the tub .

QFT.

I have a feeling it's just gonna be about effort, not neccesarily how well he does on recieving, but is the effort there. same with TJ and several others, Kubiak seems really big on work ethic, as many have allready stated.

Kubiak comes in as the coach of a team that only had one pro bowler the previous year, a rookie kick returner. He hears about how great a returner he is and that he's a fan favorite. That offseason, Mathis gets hurt. Then he has a setback or two. He comes back against Oakland and basically wins the game for us. Then the decision is made that he isn't healthy enough to play the rest of the year. Kubiak is torn because he thinks Mathis can make a huge impact, but he really doesn't like his attitude and/or drive. I believe the potential alone that Mathis has will earn him a roster spot. At least for one more year.

Mathis stays if he acts like he gives a darn.

As has been said he is a playmaker, we don't have many of those so he stays.

Excellent interview.. It was like a shot in the arm to hear some football news. Like Kubes comments on what he expects from the team this year. For thos ethat think our D sucked really bad last year, Kubes said they were a top 10 defense the last 10 weeks of the season. This year has all the makings of being a fun one. Kubes seemed stoked about getting Darius Walker. I like his talk this year, he seemed more direct and straight forward. Also like the comment that the goal for this team is to be a playoff team from now on.
Now I know some will say this should always be the goal, and it should. However thru the first regime and last year the goal was only to be winners, I hope this change in expectations translates in some good football from our boy's this year. And did he say that OTA's started today?

He is relatively cheap.

I agree - if Mathis plays 16 games. That was my thought going into last season after the motorcycle incident. If he plays 8, that roster spot is more expensive than the money. If he plays 3, he is in no way cheap.

I agree - if Mathis plays 16 games. That was my thought going into last season after the motorcycle incident. If he plays 8, that roster spot is more expensive than the money. If he plays 3, he is in no way cheap.

Given that he was a key to winning one game last year, he is doing better than most of guys drafted where he was.

Minor trivia: Mathis was the third rookie picked 4th round or lower to be voted into the Pro Bowl since 1990.

Just to go a little contrarian in this thread...I will add this.

Nobody busts the chops of someone that has little chance to succeed. You bust the chops of players when you think they can help you and you want to get that help and you think they might need a little kick in the pants.

Nobody busts the chops of someone that has little chance to succeed. You bust the chops of players when you think they can help you and you want to get that help and you think they might need a little kick in the pants.

I strongly believe it's more than a 'injury prone' issue with Mathis that's bugging Kubiak. Mathis rubs him the wrong way attitude wise, or team-player wise . . . whatever.

I've said this before . . . I think making the pro-bowl when he was a rookie, was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to Jerome Mathis.

Given that he was a key to winning one game last year, he is doing better than most of guys drafted where he was.

Minor trivia: Mathis was the third rookie picked 4th round or lower to be voted into the Pro Bowl since 1990.

Just to go a little contrarian in this thread...I will add this.

I agree with you. It is that Kubiaks sees so much talent in the players yet he does not see the desire nor how it has translated to on the field play.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a huge shot across the bow....... Step Up or Step Out!!

:fans:

Back