Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubes on 610 this AM...

Porky

Hall of Fame
Did anyone catch the interview with Gary Kubiak around 8am this morning? I only caught the last minute or so because I was listening to a cd on the way to work, so I missed almost all of it. If someone happened to be listening, can you recap what you heard?

What I heard is that Daniels and Putzier will both have expanded roles this year, and Daniels will be expected to make the safety respect the deep middle of the field more than they have in the past, and Kubes said that would be a big thing they will be working on.

The last thing mentioned was that the goal last year was to first become a winner, not only in record, but to have a winning mentality, and winning workouts. This year, and from here on out, the goal is simply the playoffs.

Matt and Lance then mentioned that the offense was going to be so much better this year because of the change at signal caller.

If anyone can add anything to this, please do!

Did anyone catch the interview with Gary Kubiak around 8am this morning? I only caught the last minute or so because I was listening to a cd on the way to work, so I missed almost all of it. If someone happened to be listening, can you recap what you heard?

What I heard is that Daniels and Putzier will both have expanded roles this year, and Daniels will be expected to make the safety respect the deep middle of the field more than they have in the past, and Kubes said that would be a big thing they will be working on.
Carr struggled to throw the intermediate pass in the middle of the field so most of his passes were short passes, hitch passes or swing passes....unless he was throwing up one of his patented "jump ball" deep passes. When Rosenfels and Banks were in we saw the QB look to the middle of the field more than we saw Carr do this.

610 has it in the vault on the front page....look on the left side.

Wow. Nice interview. Should be required listening for MB posters because he talks about nearly everyone.

Flanagan/McKinney battling at the center position. Hodgdon at guard???? Sounds like cut to me.

Calling Mathis and TJ out. In some ways that is fair, but in other ways it doesn't seem like it--they were hurt. What makes them any different than Flanagan--someone who didn't perform well and got hurt?

His answers were pretty honest about stuff. Good questions too--better than what usually happens with these interviews.

One of the things that stuck out to me was how Gary sounded when he said Jerome Mathis and Travis Johnson need to set it up and show that they can play. It made me feel like Gary is on his final straw with those two. I wouldn't be surprised if those two guys didn't make it out of training camp.

Kubs also mentioned that Schaub will make the offense better. At least that is what I got from that segment. Green will be kept fresh all year long. Kubiak mentioned that guys like Lundy and Taylor can take the hits during practice and preseason. He was really excited about picking up Darious Walker and Zebransky.

Wow. Nice interview. Should be required listening for MB posters because he talks about nearly everyone.

Flanagan/McKinney battling at the center position. Hodgdon at guard???? Sounds like cut to me.

Calling Mathis and TJ out. In some ways that is fair, but in other ways it doesn't seem like it--they were hurt. What makes them any different than Flanagan--someone who didn't perform well and got hurt?

His answers were pretty honest about stuff. Good questions too--better than what usually happens with these interviews.

Flanagan has shown more over his career than either Mathis or TJ. He gets the benefit of the doubt as Mathis had one good ST year and TJ has yet to have a good year. Flanagan has had multiple good years and although he struggled last year with injuries and with his level of performance, I think Kubes believes he has earned more respect due to his body of work in his career. And I agree with Kubes. As for Hodgdon, that guy just needs to go away, he is a horrible OL. He makes Victor Riley look like Anthony Munoz.

but yeah, great interview and very informative.

Flanagan has shown more over his career than either Mathis or TJ. He gets the benefit of the doubt as Mathis had one good ST year and TJ has yet to have a good year. Flanagan has had multiple good years and although he struggled last year with injuries and with his level of performance, I think Kubes believes he has earned more respect due to his body of work in his career. And I agree with Kubes. As for Hodgdon, that guy just needs to go away, he is a horrible OL. He makes Victor Riley look like Anthony Munoz.

but yeah, great interview and very informative.

True that.

I do wonder if there is more going on that is not apparent.

Kubiaks Q & A performance showed marked improvement over any others to date IMO. His answers were direct with a touch of elaboration here and there without so many of those ole cliches. Maybe he's been taking some lessons from his buddy, our very articulate young GM ?
And the content was informative. Like someone said earlier he's on Mathis and TJ and Hodgdons days may also numbered since I think it would be harder to make the roster as a guard than a center. Anyway, all 3 are from the C&C regime.
And expanding the role of the TE this year with Daniels leading the way is another example of good, sound Denver WCO. But I see they are still favoring Owens bad shoulder from last year - hope that won't be a show-stopper for the season opener against the Chiefs ?

One other thing that Kubes mentioned which is worth discussing is he brought up Kevin Walter again. He really wants him to be the #2 WR and considers him a young Ed McCaffery. (He also said that he realized that was putting alot of pressure on Walter)
He also really liked what he saw out of Anthony Maddox last season, and expects more this year. Anyway you will likely get much more out of the actual interview than what I type so I shall quiet my keyboard now.

Was Enoka Lucas mentioned as a possible candidate to be the backup center? I personally thought Flanigan was really bad last year. If it was due to injury that's one thing, but if not, I think he needs to go.

I can't wait to listen to it tonight. Thanks for the updates guys and gals. :fans:
On Hodgdon...I think they are trying to see if they can salvage him somehow - I don't think he makes the team this year.

I've heard that Mathis and TJ do not have all that good an attitude and work ethic...so that may be the difference in them and Flanagan. It speaks volumes to me that he mentions TJ out of nowhere when he laments about Mathis needing to be a full time player near the end of the interview.

Kubiak said that Schaub is familiar with a lot of the terminology they use so that transition should not be all that tough.

Don't expect to see Ahman Green much in the offseason....they are going to give the young backs most of the work since they know what Green can do. Kubiak said they don't want to "beat him up" much till it counts.

signed Brandon Mitchell largely on the strength of the Shrine game. He said that we had a couple of coaches in that game and it was also a plus for Enoka Lucas.

Feels good about D-line depth this year. He's high on Anthony Maddox as the other (more of a two gap) DT and glossed about how rare it is to have a guy like Okoye as a DT with pass rushing skills.

Mentioned Mike Brisiel as a C/G...look for him playing in the World league.

Owen Daniels had shoulder surgery in the off season...may explain some of his late season lack of production.

Was Enoka Lucas mentioned as a possible candidate to be the backup center? I personally thought Flanigan was really bad last year. If it was due to injury that's one thing, but if not, I think he needs to go.
He was as was the name of Chris White.
I dunno, but I'm thinking we might not have both of our 30 something centers on the roster in Sept ?

He was as was the name of Chris White.
I dunno, but I'm thinking we might not have both of our 30 something centers on the roster in Sept ?

Chris White? Okay, I follow this team pretty religislousely, but that name is new to me. Anyone know anything about him?

I really doubt Mckinney fails to make it if that is your implication. He played pretty well at C late last year, especially in run blocking. Pass blocking has always been his weakness, and that sometimes causes issues with collapsing the pocket. That in turn means the QB is not being able to step up into the pocket, and also causes problems trying to avoid the rush from both ends, so we will see how a new QB will handle pressure coming from the middle.

I kinda took his comments as he BETTER make more of a contribution or he is gone.

Yeah. I just listened again and that's what he was saying. He said "we've got to get him going." He also said that he has the ability to play the 1 gap and 3 gap. Sounds like he's looking to Zgonina to pick up TJ's slack.

Looks like another of the Sherman connection players. He made the 53 man roster in GB his first year with Green Bay although he was inactive almost the entire season.

Thanks guys. Sounds like probable camp fodder, but you never know.

I'm so ready to get this season kicked off, I'm about to explode. :devilpig:

True that.

I do wonder if there is more going on that is not apparent.

probably just trying to keep Flanny happy because Drew and McKinney are horrible Centers. if they can milk another year out of Flanny and if that year is relatively injury-free, it would be a huge help. We have had a problem at Center since Day One of this franchise. I think it has even been as much of a liability as the more obvious LT position.

TC, hopefully it all works out. I am keeping optimistic about this year and I think our schedule/bye week has shaped up to be our best chance at a good year. I honestly believe we can go 3-1 against the NFC South and 4-2 in our division. That is 7 wins right there. If we can .500 with the remaining 6 games on the schedule (which includes Browns and Raiders) we would be 10-6 and in the playoff race.

GO TEXAN

Flannagan has a rabbi that helped him get his job.

Flannigan has definitely been a better career center, but last year McKinney was better.
I agree. Do you know how many years are on McKinneys current deal? If Flannagan can hold up as starter and allow Steve to float to guard, I think it is a much stronger line.

I agree. Do you know how many years are on McKinneys current deal? If Flannagan can hold up as starter and allow Steve to float to guard, I think it is a much stronger line.

I'd rather Flannigan back up McKinney and leave Weary at gaurd

If Flannagan can hold up as starter and allow Steve to float to guard, I think it is a much stronger line.

Flannigan has two years 07 and 08 on his contract (Flannigan could be cut right now for a very small cap savings) and McKinney is signed thru 09. If Flannigan can return to prior form, then great and McKinney will be a much better than average backup (don't see him beating Pitts or Weary out at OG), but if Flannigan is going to play like last year the line will be better with McKinney starting.

Flannigan has definitely been a better career center, but last year McKinney was better.

well Flanny looked good to start the season but then got injured. mckinney came in and took over and they had problems with QB-center exchanges and pressure up the middle just like they always have since Day One. I don't call that better than what Flanagan can bring if healthy. A big if? Sure. But to me, it looked like Flanagan would have been an upgrade at C if he had remained healthy....here is to hoping he can remaing healthy this year and can help solidify our OL this year like he was supposedly going to do last year.

I think Mathis will have a huge season. A couple KR returns for TD, and it will be his breakout year as a reciever, maybe 800 yards and 5 touchdowns.

well Flanny looked good to start the season but then got injured. mckinney came in and took over and they had problems with QB-center exchanges and pressure up the middle just like they always have since Day One. I don't call that better than what Flanagan can bring if healthy.

Your facts are mixed up. McKinney came in for games 3-6 but as the starter at RG not at C. Hodgden was who came in and replaced Flanagan for two games until the last two games of the season where McKinney started at C. There were not a bunch of QB center and pressure up the middle problems with McKinney in for their last two games--both wins. As I said, if Flanagan can return to his form of 4 years ago he may be the best starter. Based on recent history, McKinney would be better.

I think Mathis will have a huge season. A couple KR returns for TD, and it will be his breakout year as a reciever, maybe 800 yards and 5 touchdowns.
I'll drink some of what ever you are having. If Mathis gets 800 yds and 5 tds it should really open up the offense. This would mean that the field is being stretched (has that ever happened before?) and our TEs, RBs and maybe our slot WR are going to have some big opportunities. Can anyone say draw play?

Thanks for the link.

What I liked about the interview was the fact that he talked with confidence about guys all the way down the depth chart. It strikes me that they know who they have and why they have them and feel confident that even the lesser known guys can and will be contributors.

:fans:

I think 80 yards will be a lot closer to the truth. I can't rule out the 5 td's but it would be via the return game. He has close to zero worth as a WR, but he is so good at KR's that he is worth hanging on to for one role only. He may see the field a few times in 4 WR sets, but I don't think we will run many of those anyway.

And if he doesn't improve his attitude and work ethic, he may not be here at all.

Kubiaks Q & A performance showed marked improvement over any others to date IMO. His answers were direct with a touch of elaboration here and there without so many of those ole cliches. Maybe he's been taking some lessons from his buddy, our very articulate young GM ?
And the content was informative. Like someone said earlier he's on Mathis and TJ and Hodgdons days may also numbered since I think it would be harder to make the roster as a guard than a center. Anyway, all 3 are from the C&C regime.
And expanding the role of the TE this year with Daniels leading the way is another example of good, sound Denver WCO. But I see they are still favoring Owens bad shoulder from last year - hope that won't be a show-stopper for the season opener against the Chiefs ?

Disagree sort of. I've heard Kubiak speak a bunch and I am generally impressed how he deals with press stuff (and I don't get impressed with public speakers generally).

I think part of why this interview was so good was that the questions that Matt and Lance asked were really good. Lots of stuff that the fans wanted to know.

Great interview! Thanks for the heads up, Porky. :thumbup

TJ deserves to be called out, especially considering he's a first rounder. Dude has yet to live up to his 'potential', and I won't be surprised if he's cut before the season starts, yet another Casserly casualty.

Mathis is good for one thing: KR. Didn't he open his mouth a couple of seasons ago and then got injured shortly thereafter? It's time to put up or shut up, because saving a roster spot for just a KR that does little else doesn't seem prudent.

Good stuff to hear about Shaub and our offense. I hope for great things...which from my perspective as a Texans fan means a consistent offense than can do more than dump passes ("great" being relative).

Disagree sort of. I've heard Kubiak speak a bunch and I am generally impressed how he deals with press stuff (and I don't get impressed with public speakers generally).

I think part of why this interview was so good was that the questions that Matt and Lance asked were really good. Lots of stuff that the fans wanted to know.

Agreed, I thought the questions were great. Not to gooff subject to far. this is one reason why I glad Granato is gone. He would have asked some real silly questions.

I think Hodgdon has played his last down for the Texans.

I'm not sure about TJ. He seems like he should have some skill; he just never produces it.

Mathis is probably a goner. A roster spot is too valuable to use on a kick returner who sees limited action due to injury every year. Unless he has magically turned into an NFL caliber receiver, he is done.

Mathis is probably a goner. A roster spot is too valuable to use on a kick returner who sees limited action due to injury every year. Unless he has magically turned into an NFL caliber receiver, he is done.

I think his place rests 75% on not having any injury until the last cut down date and 25% on showing some willingness to improve his receiving. He pops a hammy or a zit during TC and he is likely gone.

I think his place rests 75% on not having any injury until the last cut down date and 25% on showing some willingness to improve his receiving. He pops a hammy or a zit during TC and he is likely gone.

Nice, I hope he does not get diarrhea then he will be looking for a job.

well Flanny looked good to start the season but then got injured. mckinney came in and took over and they had problems with QB-center exchanges and pressure up the middle just like they always have since Day One. I don't call that better than what Flanagan can bring if healthy. A big if? Sure. But to me, it looked like Flanagan would have been an upgrade at C if he had remained healthy....here is to hoping he can remaing healthy this year and can help solidify our OL this year like he was supposedly going to do last year.

Cak's right. Against Indy, against Washington, the QB Center exchanges were on Flanagan. & Flanagan did not play well at all, at anytime of last season. You could see in the preseason he was getting out muscled & out leveraged on every snap. We also couldn't run the ball in any game Flannagan played Center, because he was getting out muscled by linebackers.

Drew Hogdon played better than Flanagan last year, but he was still below what we should consider acceptable. McKinney was by far the best center on the team. He solidified the center of the line, and he moved people on running plays.

If Flanagan can get close to his ProBowl form, then yeah he should be competing for the starting job. If Kubiak is cutting him some slack, because McKinney was half-assing it at guard, and Pitts wasn't playing great the first 2 or 3 weeks. Who knows.. But he was without a doubt the worse Center on our team in '06.

Did he say the same things on there?

I heard a partial replay just before 7pm. Charlie asked him a couple of questions about David Carr, and Kubiak was pretty diplomatic - used the "change of leadership" phrase a few times. He has also been impressed with Schaub's locker room leadership so far. They talked about the demands of being a head coach, and Kubiak said that Mike Sherman has really helped him keep a good work/life balance. He also said something that he has already said in recent interviews - that he wants the Texans to be a team where it's really tough to make the roster. He doesn't feel like they were that kind of team last year, but he thinks that they will be there this year.

Charlie said that there was more to the interview - questions about Mario's extracurricular activities, etc - and they've already posted it on the 790 website. Haven't listened yet, but I'm headed over there.

Next to death and taxes . . .

I'd say the next surest thing, is that Mathis gets cut in training camp.

Back