Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

KJ Fined for Vikings Hit........and High Socks!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Insult to injury.

Texans cornerback Kareem Jackson wasn't penalized for his hit on Vikings receiver Jarius Wright. (Karen Warren/Chronicle)

Thursday was an expensive day for cornerback Kareem Jackson.

Jackson, who’s having the best season of his three-year career, learned the NFL had fined him two times.

First, Jackson was fined $5,250 for wearing his socks too high. Then, he was fined $21,000 for hitting Minnesota receiver Jarius Wright too high. He wasn’t penalized for the hit on Wright during Sunday’s 23-6 loss to Minnesota.
link

21k sounds steep. Does anyone know if this is his first offense?

I'm pretty sure with Taglibue's ruling and the last rulings/reversals of player suspencions, GODell is feeling the heat, no?

I would go on strike just to remove this asshat from his commissioners job. I hate this turd like no other hot peanut filled turd I have ever hated.

Wasn't this the hit where the receiver lowered his head as KJ was closing in?

It reminds me of the roughing the passer penalty that Watt got last year when he launched at the QB's hip, but the QB bent forward and allowed his facemask to graze JJ's helmet.

I'm starting to believe that the league is simply trying to artificially inflate the number of fines --whether legit or bogus-- in an effort to build a defense against lawsuits.

Goodell sucks but it was a finable hit.

I'm more annoyed by the fine for the socks. Did you notice the socks during the game? Did they detract from your enjoyment of the game? Does the fine detract from your enjoyment of the NFL? It does for me.

I'm more annoyed by the fine for the socks. Did you notice the socks during the game? Did they detract from your enjoyment of the game? Does the fine detract from your enjoyment of the NFL? It does for me.

Yeh that just idiotic. I mean if they were some odd ball color or said something inappropriate I could see it. But wearing them too high? C'mon!!!!

It seems like any devastating hit of any kind is subject to fines regardless of the legality of the tackle. That were one of the underlining appeal of the nfl. If Nascar started fining and suspending race car driver for crashes whoever is commissioner would wake up next day and find his car turnover and on fire.

I'm pretty sure with Taglibue's ruling and the last rulings/reversals of player suspencions, GODell is feeling the heat, no?

Ole Roger has got to be pissed, since Tags basically said, Roger is screwing up the commissioner job.

:lol:

Goodell needed to be taken down a few notches.

Yeh that just idiotic. I mean if they were some odd ball color or said something inappropriate I could see it. But wearing them too high? C'mon!!!!

I can't remember what they looked like for the life of me. Anyone got a pic??

JacksonBlowsUpWright_original.gif

Not only should he have not been fined, it should have been a turnover.

Wright catches the ball and takes three steps before he is hit. He is not in the process of catching it, he has it tucked away.

Wright catches the ball and takes three steps before he is hit. He is not in the process of catching it, he has it tucked away.

This is a case where the slow motion makes it look un-bang bang-like. The refs and NFL have stated that these plays will only be reviewed for these penalties using only timing of the hit in real-time action.

It seems like any devastating hit of any kind is subject to fines regardless of the legality of the tackle. That were one of the underlining appeal of the nfl. If Nascar started fining and suspending race car driver for crashes whoever is commissioner would wake up next day and find his car turnover and on fire.

And in a few weeks, they'll show that hit in a commercial for the NFL. Hippocrates at their finest.

This is a case where the slow motion makes it look un-bang bang-like. The refs and NFL have stated that these plays will only be reviewed for these penalties using only timing of the hit in real-time action.

Thanks for clarification.

Doesn't make it right.

Just as an aside, if the refs on the field didn't call the "defenseless" hit, they would also had to interpret that as a completed catch.........and it should have been ruled a fumble........and ultimately ruled a turnover.:kitten:

There was another angle showed during the broadcast that after viewing it I could swear KJax's head never hit the receiver's head. Wright's head snapped back from the hit to the shoulder. I thought it was a legit hit. I need to go to Game Rewind and find it again.

Kareem should've targeted the knees instead of the chest/shoulder area.

The Jets OLineman that ended Brian Cushing's season with a blindside cutblock away from the play only got fined 10k.

There was another angle showed during the broadcast that after viewing it I could swear KJax's head never hit the receiver's head. Wright's head snapped back from the hit to the shoulder. I thought it was a legit hit. I need to go to Game Rewind and find it again.

You could just go back to post 19 in this thread.

Exactly, fine the Refs for missing the fumble call even if it was voided out for a pansy penalty.

As for hitting high, Wright is 5' 10" and crouched down for impact, what was Jackson suppossed to do. Obviousley Jackson didn't see Wright's "flags" that he was suppossed to pull off.

I understand the helmet to helmet stuff, and even the QB stuff even though it impacts the game, but this was complete BS.

Where was the flag and fine for the hit put on Lestar Jean (I think it was the Indy game) when he was up in the air and got drilled in the kidneys, it don't get no more defenseless then being in mid air extended, pretty sure thats was text book.

Hey Goodell go eff yourself.

Kareem should've targeted the knees instead of the chest/shoulder area.

The Jets OLineman that ended Brian Cushing's season with a blindside cutblock away from the play only got fined 10k.

These days its like a little person playing baseball, the defense has to hit a player with a 6" x 6" strike zone.

Nothing is wrong with the freaking socks. I tell you what is wrong. Seeing a guy with his shirt untucked (and that's pushing it) and seeing players crack of dawn everytime they get tackled. Where's the fines for that??

Me, too.

The penalty on hits is just the slippery slope that will eventually legislate football to a non-contact sport one day.

But the socks is just goofy, mind-numbing micro-management where it clearly reveals that the league's primary agenda is focus on image.

That same focus on image is most likely behind all these hit penalties. They seem to care more about how the league is perceived than actually improving player safety (i.e. Thursday games, talks of 18 game schedule, etc.).

Isn't that how Kareem has always worn his socks?

Were they an inch too high this time or something?

You're absolutely correct!

As the NFL rules are written, uniform pants must reach over the knee and may not be cut or altered in any way. Players are required to wear two socks on each foot; a combination of white and their team color for each leg. Wearing only one of the socks is a violation of NFL rules and will result in a fine. Socks must be pulled up over the calf and meet with the uniform pants at the knee.

All you have to do is review game film or pics to see how arbitrary these "equipment" calls are. You will randomly find GROSS corruption of the rules every game by several players, such as the knees totally uncovered......I've seen AJ with no coverage of his knees either by pants or socks in many games.........and no, it wasn't after he skidded on the turf. Maybe for AJ, the Texans need to wash the unis in cold water and avoid drying on "HOT!"

andre-johnson.jpg

images

And last but not least, the memorable:

AND NEXT TIME, DON'T EVEN THINK OF PULLING DOWN MY SOCKS!!!!!!

tumblr_lt2psuhw1b1qm9rypo1_r1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

I disagree those socks were completely out of line!!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Does the NFL have some kind of NASCAR style templates for the players unis????

You're absolutely correct!

As the NFL rules are written, uniform pants must reach over the knee and may not be cut or altered in any way. Players are required to wear two socks on each foot; a combination of white and their team color for each leg. Wearing only one of the socks is a violation of NFL rules and will result in a fine. Socks must be pulled up over the calf and meet with the uniform pants at the knee.

All you have to do is review game film or pics to see how arbitrary these "equipment" calls are. You will randomly find GROSS corruption of the rules every game by several players, such as the knees totally uncovered......I've seen AJ with no coverage of his knees either by pants or socks in many games.........and no, it wasn't after he skidded on the turf. Maybe for AJ, the Texans need to wash the unis in cold water and avoid drying on "HOT!"

andre-johnson.jpg

images

And last but not least, the memorable:

AND NEXT TIME, DON'T EVEN THINK OF PULLING DOWN MY SOCKS!!!!!!

tumblr_lt2psuhw1b1qm9rypo1_r1_1280.jpg

Dont mess with that mans socks.

Next time, he should wrap up and BURY the receiver into the turf so only his feet and ankles show.

I think in this case, the fact that everyone else's white socks weren't displayed in the manner that Kj's were is why he was fined. I could be wrong, but I think I remember someone else getting fined the same way a couple of years ago.

It's something that's usually not called, but the team has got to be uniform, or they'll fine players for it.

By the by..... did Kj get fined for that hit on Reggie Wayne last week, that was called, but wasn't a hit to the head?

Someone please explain to me like I'm a 5 year old how sock length effects the game of football?

They need to do something with the helmet to helmet call when a player is being tackled and he lowers his head to hit the tackler, how is it the tackler responsible for that collision?

It is one thing if he lauches into the ball carriers head or hits him high, but if he is going for the tackle in the chest area and the ball carrier lowers his head that is unreasonable.

Someone please explain to me like I'm a 5 year old how sock length effects the game of football?

Good question. This is a great article that addresses in depth your very question.
For NFL players, football is a game of preservation. For fans in stadiums and in front of TV sets, it's a game of presentation.
No sports league has a stronger marriage with television than the NFL, as evidenced by its new eight-year, $17.6 billion TV contract. No league has a keener interest in showcasing its athletes and sponsors at their eye-pleasing best.

That's why while the Packers and Lions are knocked down and bloodied in tonight's game, televised nationally on ESPN, they'll also be expected to keep their uniforms neat and commercially correct.

NFL players wear their socks according to league standards. They keep their jerseys tucked in. They keep do-rags from hanging out of their helmets. They display logos only of companies that are NFL licensees.

If they don't, it's costly. The NFL has a strict system of inspection and fines, from $5,000 to $100,000, to make sure uniforms are, well, uniform.

"The NFL wants to present a professional product on the field for the fans and to protect the business relationships that surround the game," said Chris Widmaier, NFL director of corporate communications.

All NFL stadiums have uniform inspectors, and Greg Boyd, a defensive lineman during 1977-84 for the Broncos and four other NFL teams, fills that spot at Mile High Stadium. He's executive director of the Colorado office of Communities in Schools, a nationwide dropout-prevention program, and his friends can get confused about his Sunday job.

"They'll say, `So you design the uniforms?' " Boyd said, laughing.

"I tell them, `No, I just make sure they wear them the way they were designed.'

"A lot of guys will say, `If I wear my socks up or down, how does that affect the way I play?' They have not yet understood this is about show business and the networks and pro lines who have paid to use NFL licensing."

This is about show business and the networks and pro lines who have paid to use NFL licensing.

Remember the uproar created by Bears quarterback Jim McMahon when during the 1986 season he wore a shoe company headband, unlicensed by the NFL? McMahon was warned not to wear the headband in the Super Bowl by then-commissioner Pete Rozelle and complied by wearing a plain headband on which he wrote "Rozelle." McMahon avoided a fine that today would be $100,000.

"The league wants everybody to look presentable because we represent them," Arizona running back Adrian Murrell said.

"On the other hand, sometimes it's a little redundant with some of the things they try to enforce: `Hey, Murrell, get those socks up!' Sometimes I get messed up and my shirt comes out and I don't have time all the time to put it back in."

High school and college players are also subject to uniform regulations set by the National Federation of State High School Associations and the NCAA. Unlike the NFL, though, game officials are the sole uniform inspectors for high school and college games -- and violators are not fined.

In the NFL, regular-season fines for sloppy uniforms start at $5,000. Fines for unlicensed logos start at $10,000 and can reach $100,000 for the Super Bowl.

"Nothing against NASCAR, but we don't want decals stuck everywhere," said Ed Reynolds, a former Patriots linebacker who is NFL assistant director of football development and oversees the inspectors.

"We don't want a guy sitting on the sidelines with `Joe's Bar and Grill' on his head.

"If the Chiefs are playing the Broncos, it's a big game, and if a guy can sneak (an unlicensed logo) just for a few seconds, it's worth a tremendous amount of money to the company he's trying to exhibit."

FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

"Nothing against NASCAR, but we don't want decals stuck everywhere," said Ed Reynolds, a former Patriots linebacker who is NFL assistant director of football development and oversees the inspectors.

"We don't want a guy sitting on the sidelines with `Joe's Bar and Grill' on his head.

Bullsh-t, Ed. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Advertising has increased every year for the past several years. Preseason games are branded so much they're starting to look like NASCAR cars. No, y'all are OK with NASCAR decals, just so long as the NFL is getting paid for it and not the players.

I think in this case, the fact that everyone else's white socks weren't displayed in the manner that Kj's were is why he was fined. I could be wrong, but I think I remember someone else getting fined the same way a couple of years ago.

It's something that's usually not called, but the team has got to be uniform, or they'll fine players for it.

By the by..... did Kj get fined for that hit on Reggie Wayne last week, that was called, but wasn't a hit to the head?

I outlined the NFL rules in a previous post. But look at the end of KJ's pant legs.........they are not covering any part of the knee, in fact, they are considerably above the knee, well onto the thigh. He then has his socks meet well above the knee to the thigh. It could have been called "a short/high pants" or a "long/high socks" infraction........the NFL chose the latter.

As far as the statement in bold above.......The collegiate rules do state that unis must maintain uniformity amongst their own team players. However, under NFL rules, unis must maintain uniformity throughout the league. They feel strongly enough about their product to mandate a designated "equipment INSPECTOR" whose job before each game is to make sure that no such infractions occur. Whether, we agree with these seemingly petty rules or not, the teams and players are very aware of the aforementioned.

I outlined the NFL rules in a previous post. But look at the end of KJ's pant legs.........they are not covering any part of the knee, in fact, they are considerably above the knee, well onto the thigh. He then has his socks meet well above the knee to the thigh. It could have been called "a short/high pants" or a "long/high socks" infraction........the NFL chose the latter.

As far as the statement in bold above.......The collegiate rules do state that unis must maintain uniformity amongst their own team players. However, under NFL rules, unis must maintain uniformity throughout the league. They feel strongly enough about their product to mandate a designated "equipment INSPECTOR" whose job before each game is to make sure that no such infractions occur. Whether, we agree with these seemingly petty rules or not, the teams and players are very aware of the aforementioned.
I pulled up a bunch of games randomly, and there's no such thing as "uni" in uniform.

In a game against the Dolphins in 09, guys that wear high socks (that I noticed) were Mario, Barwin, Quin, Pollard, Vontae Davis, and one of the Dolphins safeties. Foster (wearing #37 at the time) also wore high socks, one of them about an inch higher than the other.

Looks like Foster still wear them socks the same way; one higher than the other.

This year, I saw Barwin, McCain, #26 on the Broncos, Vontae Davis (now with the Colts) and a Colts safety.

In fact, the players (from all the teams that I saw thus far) wear their socks differently. Some pull them really low just above the ankle, some an inch higher, and so on.

This stupid fine is just ridiculous! :fingergun:

I pulled up a bunch of games randomly, and there's no such thing as "uni" in uniform.

In a game against the Dolphins in 09, guys that wear high socks (that I noticed) were Mario, Barwin, Quin, Pollard, Vontae Davis, and one of the Dolphins safeties. Foster (wearing #37 at the time) also wore high socks, one of them about an inch higher than the other.

Looks like Foster still wear them socks the same way; one higher than the other.

This year, I saw Barwin, McCain, #26 on the Broncos, Vontae Davis (now with the Colts) and a Colts safety.

In fact, the players (from all the teams that I saw thus far) wear their socks differently. Some pull them really low just above the ankle, some an inch higher, and so on.

This stupid fine is just ridiculous! :fingergun:

Don't kill the messenger, the rules are as I posted them. Like I said earlier (as in the AJ photos I posted), that sort of fine seems to be delved out very arbitrarily.

God'ell is all about saftey. Unless it comes to protection of the eyes. Orlando Brown's (RIP) was essentially ruined by a wayward Jeff Triplette wayward beanbag throw. (Apparently he is worse at throwing things than he is at reffing. Although that's hard to believe.) Brown had glaucoma at the time and won a lawsuit, plus got his $$$$ back from the league suspension he received. All of this could've been avoided without all of these silly rules. Although I agree with uniforms being the same, the NFL goes overboard on things like this to protect (advertising $$$$) the shield.

God'ell is a hypocrite who's just carrying out orders from the men who really run the NFL. (Mara/Kraft) They are ruining the game for $$$$. (Concussion lawsuits/advertising) I wish John Mara shared the vision of his dad Wellington (TV revenue sharing plan that he devised) and put the good of the game above $$$$. The NFL needs to put the good of the game 1st and cut a deal with the ex-players on the concussion lawsuit thing. Take their losses, make all players currently playing, or draftees sign a waiver excluding the NFL from concussion lawsuits going forward and quit bastardizing the game.

God'ell has the power to persuade the owners to do this. But he's such a panzy it will never happen. He's too busy worying about players socks/do rags to make a meaningful impact on the game unlike his predecessors Tags/Rozelle. I mean God'ell is so inept that Tags had to come in and clean up the bounty gate mess that God'ell created because he jumped the gun suspending players with flimsy evidence at best.

But God'ell will be around for a long time because he made the owners alot of $$$$$ (Thanks DeMaurice) in the last CBA negs. (To the detriment of the game.)

God'ell is all about saftey. Unless it comes to protection of the eyes. Orlando Brown's (RIP) was essentially ruined by a wayward Jeff Triplette wayward beanbag throw. (Apparently he is worse at throwing things than he is at reffing. Although that's hard to believe.) Brown had glaucoma at the time and won a lawsuit, plus got his $$$$ back from the league suspension he received. All of this could've been avoided without all of these silly rules. Although I agree with uniforms being the same, the NFL goes overboard on things like this to protect (advertising $$$$) the shield.

God'ell is a hypocrite who's just carrying out orders from the men who really run the NFL. (Mara/Kraft) They are ruining the game for $$$$. (Concussion lawsuits/advertising) I wish John Mara shared the vision of his dad Wellington (TV revenue sharing plan that he devised) and put the good of the game above $$$$. The NFL needs to put the good of the game 1st and cut a deal with the ex-players on the concussion lawsuit thing. Take their losses, make all players currently playing, or draftees sign a waiver excluding the NFL from concussion lawsuits going forward and quit bastardizing the game.

God'ell has the power to persuade the owners to do this. But he's such a panzy it will never happen. He's too busy worying about players socks/do rags to make a meaningful impact on the game unlike his predecessors Tags/Rozelle. I mean God'ell is so inept that Tags had to come in and clean up the bounty gate mess that God'ell created because he jumped the gun suspending players with flimsy evidence at best.

But God'ell will be around for a long time because he made the owners alot of $$$$$ (Thanks DeMaurice) in the last CBA negs. (To the detriment of the game.)

There have been way too many rules created recently to keep track of and correctly interpret, not only as fans..........

nfl-replacement-ref-meme-4_display_image.jpeg

Back