Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kareem Jackson's plight.

The middle safety cuts off the slant route by the TE.

6-Safetycutsofftheslantroute.png

The RCB comes over all the way to the other side of the field (taking place of the middle safety) to help the LCB.

7-RCBcomesover.png

You can still see the middle safety on the TE underneath.

So it can happen to anyone. It just happened to happen to Jackson more often than anyone.

And part of the reason why it happened to Jackson more often than anyone is because of the extraordinarily bad safety help.

Not saying he would have been great, but he wouldn't have been anywhere as bad if he had gotten the help he was supposed to have gotten.

And part of the reason why it happened to Jackson more often than anyone is because of the extraordinarily bad safety help.

Not saying he would have been great, but he wouldn't have been anywhere as bad if he had gotten the help he was supposed to have gotten.

To me, it's possible that a lot of what was wrong was really Bush and Gibbs.

I don't think they had our CBs playing the right "style," which might indicate why David Gibbs was axed in K.C. and scurried so quickly to get here. I'm not all that thrilled that we've got Vance Joseph (right?) as our DB coach, just because I view this as David Gibbs version 2.0.

It looked like the CBs were told to read and react, and the Safeties were called upon to bail them out or provide the knockout punch. The safeties and the CBs were prone to looking at each other, pre-snap, and shrugging shoulders and hands/palms turned up as if to say "Hell if I know..." then the ball was snapped and cue the Keystone Cops music.

As much as KJ gets ribbed on here, I happen to think Wade Phillips will correct a lot of what was wrong. And if KJ doesn't catch onto what Wade wants, I think there'll be someone stuck out there whom Wade thinks can do it. I see Wade as being very impartial and very scrutinizing out there. He, of all people, will be under a microscope because his dad is Bum and he also got canned by the 'Boys. He has a lot to prove.

It's not just the safeties, LBs play an important role in pass coverage as well. Ours weren't very good

It's not just the safeties, LBs play an important role in pass coverage as well. Ours weren't very good

Speaking of LB's I seem to remember Rolando McClain was like a vacuum cleaner sweeping up the trash in front of Kareem @ Alabama. Then Javier Arenas being the secondary playmaker & return guy. With Mount Cody clogging two or three guys in the trenches so Jackson had some support, maybe too much in Nick Sabin's system.

You aint shittin .... RB's and TE's had their way with this defese underneath.

Im really concerned with the LB's in this 3-4 we'll see this year with Barwin and MW on the outside.
Teams will find a way to force them to cover or exploit their un-willingness to do so.

Cushing wasnt good in coverage at all last season ... Sure he had INT's in his rookie season but those were more a result of his being in the right place at the right time rather than coverage ability.

Ryans ..... who knows how he's going to look coming off of this injury , he wasnt a world beater in coverage to begin with. Not bad just not great either.

They sure better improve the back end of this defense and hope like hell they can put a lot of pressure on opposing QB's because of the above.

I wonder how much of the LB's issues with coverage was scheme related and how much is just lack of ability in that particular skill. We'll have to wait to find out.

Regardless.

We aren't saying Jackson played like the best corner in the league.

We aren't saying that Jackson doesn't have room to improve.

All we are saying, is that he played like we expected a rookie to play.

Anyone else, expecting anything else just aren't being realistic.

Ok see there. thats what i mean, and he did. I am not saying he wont improve but last season as far as CBs go he was the demise of the secondary. No photos/stats can prove he was better than he was. We can try to throw all the blame on the safties and coaches but the fact of the matter is that Quinn and D-Rob played with the same safties the year before and looked like a number 1 ranked secondary compared to last seasons defense. So what was the difference between the 2009 and 2010 defense. ONE thing that was take out D. Rob and add Jackson. Everything else was the same.

Ok see there. thats what i mean, and he did. I am not saying he wont improve but last season as far as CBs go he was the demise of the secondary. No photos/stats can prove he was better than he was. We can try to throw all the blame on the safties and coaches but the fact of the matter is that Quinn and D-Rob played with the same safties the year before and looked like a number 1 ranked secondary compared to last seasons defense. So what was the difference between the 2009 and 2010 defense. ONE thing that was take out D. Rob and add Jackson. Everything else was the same.

No one is placing the blame all on the coaches and or safeties ..... the whole lot of them sucked :hobie: last season which is why both safeties were released , the best corner is slated to move to FS and .... how many draft picks were used on the secondary ? How many FA's will be added to the secondary to fill out the roster ?

They all sucked ....and at least two of them get to go play hide the sausage elsewhere.

No one is placing the blame all on the coaches and or safeties ..... the whole lot of them sucked :hobie: last season which is why both safeties were released , the best corner is slated to move to FS and .... how many draft picks were used on the secondary ? How many FA's will be added to the secondary to fill out the roster ?

They all sucked ....and at least two of them get to go play hide the sausage elsewhere.

i know my point was that we had all the same defense in 2009 and they werent to bad, then we plug in k. jac to D-Robs spot and we go to NEARLY one of the worst secondaries in NFL history.

Im really concerned with the LB's in this 3-4 we'll see this year with Barwin and MW on the outside.
Teams will find a way to force them to cover or exploit their un-willingness to do so.

Cushing wasnt good in coverage at all last season ... Sure he had INT's in his rookie season but those were more a result of his being in the right place at the right time rather than coverage ability.

Ryans ..... who knows how he's going to look coming off of this injury , he wasnt a world beater in coverage to begin with. Not bad just not great either.

They sure better improve the back end of this defense and hope like hell they can put a lot of pressure on opposing QB's because of the above.

I wonder how much of the LB's issues with coverage was scheme related and how much is just lack of ability in that particular skill. We'll have to wait to find out.
I think the 5 -2 will disrupt QB and I think our new CB free agent and Quinn at FS will slow the passing game. I am very concerned about our LBs in coverage. Maybe there will be "bend" but no "break."

And this is exactly why I believe Wade Phillips will go free agency strongly for a corner and probably a safety depending on ASo signing.

We can try to throw all the blame on the safties and coaches but the fact of the matter is that Quinn and D-Rob played with the same safties the year before and looked like a number 1 ranked secondary compared to last seasons defense. So what was the difference between the 2009 and 2010 defense. ONE thing that was take out D. Rob and add Jackson. Everything else was the same.

The biggest difference between the 2009 defense & the 2010 defense was that the coaches played aggressively for 4 Qtrs in 2009. Maybe for a half in 2010. When they played aggressively, they allowed our team to make up the 30 point differential. They were either shutting people down, or drastically slowing them down for that qtr & a half people were going gaga over the offense.

The biggest difference between the 2009 defense & the 2010 defense was that the coaches played aggressively for 4 Qtrs in 2009. Maybe for a half in 2010. When they played aggressively, they allowed our team to make up the 30 point differential. They were either shutting people down, or drastically slowing them down for that qtr & a half people were going gaga over the offense.

Some of that may be true, but there was an obvious difference in the way our secondary performed with K. Jack instead of D. Rob.

Jacksons plight?

Did he fall down again?

I expect Jackson to improve alot. He will probably end up playing in the dime defense. The CB group will end up looking like this. IMHO

FA CB, Allen, Harris (nickle) Jackson/Carmicheal (Fighting it out for the dime)

Harris will be starting over Allen by mid season. I'm really high on Harris.

Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues. This is abouut jackson, so let me stick with the topic.

Jax didn't play well, but the lbs,safeties, nor rush did him any favors. Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window. Unless you have deion at cb, non covering lbs and safeties are bigger issues against the pass than a corner. The best defenses in the league against the pass have front 7 people who can pressure and cover windows. Timmons-farrior in pitt and lewis-johnson combo in balt. When tb was really good defensively, brooks and quarles were great in the middle of the field. When the pats had top 5 defenses, vrable,bruschi,colvin,and mcginnis ,batted,tiped,and made the qb throw through bodies. The texans don't have 1 good cover lb. Ryans gave up the same seam route to davis 1 game. Remember when gates went from unknown to superstar vs the texans? Who kills the texans more than clark? What about zack miller from the jags last year? Until the texans lbs get a clue about rutes, they can sign nitrane lane and it wouldn't matter.

Jacksons plight?

Did he fall down again?

I expect Jackson to improve alot. He will probably end up playing in the dime defense. The CB group will end up looking like this. IMHO

FA CB, Allen, Harris (nickle) Jackson/Carmicheal (Fighting it out for the dime)

Harris will be starting over Allen by mid season. I'm really high on Harris.
Me too. I was stunned when they traded back into the 2nd to get him. Smith just doesn't pull off steals like that very often. I'm very hopeful for Carmichael, also. I really liked what I read/saw of him after the draft. Supposed to be another high effort guy who will put in the work and study time to improve his game.

i know my point was that we had all the same defense in 2009 and they werent to bad, then we plug in k. jac to D-Robs spot and we go to NEARLY one of the worst secondaries in NFL history.

So you assume that every player plays the same every year?
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

If Pollard and Wilson had played as "well" as they did in 09, we wouldn't have seen much of Nolan, and the two of them would still have their job.

Wade: "Hey boys, I see that you guys are still playing great and Jackson sucked, so I think it's best to let you walk so that my team continues to suck with Jackson."

Yeah, right!

Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues.
Schaub has been in the top 10 in completion % since he joined the Texans. If he has accuracy issues, who doesn't? And how can you get confirmation on a few plays out of nearly 600? Not that I'm challenging 76Texan to post screen shots of every play from 2010. Please don't. I'm just saying...

Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues. This is abouut jackson, so let me stick with the topic.

Jax didn't play well, but the lbs,safeties, nor rush did him any favors. Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window. Unless you have deion at cb, non covering lbs and safeties are bigger issues against the pass than a corner. The best defenses in the league against the pass have front 7 people who can pressure and cover windows. Timmons-farrior in pitt and lewis-johnson combo in balt. When tb was really good defensively, brooks and quarles were great in the middle of the field. When the pats had top 5 defenses, vrable,bruschi,colvin,and mcginnis ,batted,tiped,and made the qb throw through bodies. The texans don't have 1 good cover lb. Ryans gave up the same seam route to davis 1 game. Remember when gates went from unknown to superstar vs the texans? Who kills the texans more than clark? What about zack miller from the jags last year? Until the texans lbs get a clue about rutes, they can sign nitrane lane and it wouldn't matter.

Agreed!
All you need to see is how the other team play us.
I've said that our CBs (as bad as they looked, and I mean all of them) still played better than the ones we saw accross the field (overall in 16 games).
The other guys had better LB and safety's help than ours.
Yet, Schaub still had a very good year even though AJ wasn't his normal self.

Schaub has been in the top 10 in completion % since he joined the Texans. If he has accuracy issues, who doesn't? And how can you get confirmation on a few plays out of nearly 600? Not that I'm challenging 76Texan to post screen shots of every play from 2010. Please don't. I'm just saying...

Schaub saw more pressure this past year.
Some of his passes that were off-target were due to pressure.
A few of them, he rushed a little bit for the same reason.
Some misses were due to miscommunication between him and the receivers.
He does miss some without any pressure, but all of the QBs do.
Overall, I don't see Schaub as having problem in this regard.

From my observations, I think because we played so much zone since Richard Smith, the back seven weren't taught to recognize route patterns as a whole.
When the opponents flood one zone with 2 or 3 receivers, we were left short-handed since we didn't stretch our zones very well as compared to better defenses.
The Ravens, for example, played a lot of zone, but their zone is much tighter than ours.

Wade's scheme relies on teaching the player to recognize routes and patterns. The LBs (especially the ILBs) will be of much more help in pass defense.

Good points

What concerns me is Cushing going to be better in coverage than last yr? Are Ryans (Achillies) and Barwin (having his foot turned around) going to be able to come back healthy and provide Farrior type coverage? These types of injuries take the quickness necessary to cover areas away. I have my doubts. But hope I'm wrong.

MW isn't ever going to be dropping into coverage so this isn't an issue for him.

Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window.

The main problem with this pass was that the Center crossed the LOS to block Diles (illegal man downfield - not called).
I'm sure both Diles and Wilson read "draw" and then "screen".

Wilson was flat-footed even after the pass had already left Romo's hand.
I bet you he was thinking: "draw, screen... what the heck, pass? Why wasn't there a flag thrown." And then it was too late.

Aikman in the booth must have seen it but he only said "No flag"!
If he didn't see it then he doesn't belong there!

Technique-wise, as Jackson put a hand up to Williams' chest to jam him, the receiver stepped to one side and put a hand on Jackson's BACK shoulder to steer him away. That's a smart move by a veteran (but illegal).
Jackson needs to learn a lot of tricks of the trade. A lot of it can be won or lost within the first seven yards.

This one is another of Jackson's plight.
It has nothing to do with his ability or inability.

Playing with 10 men on the field on the Galloway's TD and now letting the opponent get away with a TD on a play like this?

Yeah. And now those bums are on the street. Where is KJ? The starting lineup probably.

IDK....to me....I see him in the same light as Glover Quin. Bigger guy for a CB who is a step slow to be a CB but has decent speed, a willing and capable tackler and not the greatest coverage guy ever. By which I mean, I think they are both safeties. They could be the mythical twin safeties we've never had! They both fit that mold of Smithiak picks, big CBs who tackle as well or better than they cover. It's not even much of a stretch to put them both at S.

With Wade's picks of CB- Harris/Carmical filling in depth behind Allen and whoever they sign....you can even keep your boy Smithy, Antwan Molden!!!

Really though, Wade's CB picks seemed to go after guys whose best asset were COVERAGE. The only guy Smithiak picked that I thought his best asset was to cover was Fred Bennett. Molden's best asset is athleticism. Quin's is size/all around game. KJ's is....a good college defense.

Roy Williams, a TD that shouldn't have been!

These screen shots will show the Center crossed the LOS to block before the pass was released.
That's illegal. The play should have been blown dead as soon as the ball left Romo's hand.
Diles should have grabbed the Center and called it out to the ref.
Bush should have been fired on the spot as the Cowboys kicked the point after.

vlcsnap-5887342.jpg

vlcsnap-5887432.jpg

vlcsnap-5887474.jpg

vlcsnap-5887492.jpg

vlcsnap-5887508.jpg

Technique.
R. Williams with an illegal maneuver that is difficult for the side judge to see.
Jackson needs to learn to avoid it as best as a CB can (and pull out some tricks of his own.)

vlcsnap-7018061.jpg

vlcsnap-7018077.jpg

vlcsnap-7018088.jpg

vlcsnap-7018096.jpg

vlcsnap-7018104.jpg

Williams finished his maneuver with a hold right there that wasn't called either.

vlcsnap-5895370.jpg

vlcsnap-5895380.jpg

vlcsnap-5895388.jpg

vlcsnap-5895396.jpg

vlcsnap-5895405.jpg

This is not two ships passing each other at night.
Rather, it was a ship that left Wilson stranded.
He may have been waiting for a flag, but then you need to play until after the whistle blows.
(After the game, they said that Wlson pulled a hammy on this play.)

Back to the two-receiver route, so how else can a defense play it?

The Chargers played it safe; even with Jammer (a #5 pick overall in 2003) at CB vs a one-legged AJ, they kept the safety back at bay.
They'd rather give up the underneath route.
Here's the 33-yd pass to Casey.

The Texans were in a 2-TE set so the Chargers brought in another safety.
Casey went into motion from left to right and ran the crossing route while AJ ran the deep route.

2TEset.jpg

vlcsnap-1102175.jpg

vlcsnap-1102331.jpg

vlcsnap-1102357.jpg

vlcsnap-1102375.jpg

You can see the whole sequence here.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Tworeceiver%20Routes/Chargers/Caset%2033yd%20Catch/

It doesn't show the CB and the safety at the end because they were both so deep.

(Note: The sub-album is in reverse order._

The Chargers did the same thing on a 17-yd catch by JJ.
Notice that both CBs and the safety dropped deep.
Weddel did not jump until Schaub had thrown the pass (unlike Wilson who jumped way ahead.)

1-Lineup.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7-JJ.jpg

8.jpg

And how about just great safety play?
How about some collegiate kid in his Junior year?
I have here Andre McDaniel in 09 (Clemson vs Miami).

He played the deep route first before jumping the underneath route for an INT.

Here's the side view:

vlcsnap-6241029.jpg

vlcsnap-6242372.jpg

vlcsnap-6242389.jpg

vlcsnap-6242401.jpg

vlcsnap-6242414.jpg

The back view picks up as the QB already rolled out.
Compare the first screen shot of the following sequence (back view) with the first one from the previous one (side view.)

McDaniel was originally nearer to the hashmarks on the other side but had now moved accross the field with the roll-out action and the two-receiver route.

He got himself into much better position than any pro safety we've seen so far in this series.

vlcsnap-6244707.jpg

vlcsnap-6244722.jpg

vlcsnap-6244745.jpg

vlcsnap-6244755.jpg

vlcsnap-6244765.jpg

You can see that the receiver adjusted by steering back to the outside, but McDaniel was still right there, forcing the QB to go with the underneath route.
(The LCB should also be on the outside of the receiver, perhaps trailing, just as any other CB we've seen.)

vlcsnap-6244785.jpg

vlcsnap-6244793.jpg

vlcsnap-6244804.jpg

vlcsnap-6244817.jpg

vlcsnap-6244833.jpg

Here's the 45-yd pass to Steve Smith in the Giants game.
Smith put his hand on Jackson's head to push him away, getting seperaation in the process.
That should have been an offensive PI.
I don't know what a CB needs to do in this situation.
What does he need to do to protect himself better from the receiver?

vlcsnap-2170255.jpg

vlcsnap-2170263.jpg

vlcsnap-2170269.jpg

vlcsnap-2170283.jpg

Here's the 45-yd pass to Steve Smith in the Giants game.
Smith put his hand on Jackson's head to push him away, getting seperaation in the process.
That should have been an offensive PI.
I don't know what a CB needs to do in this situation.
What does he need to do to protect himself better from the receiver?

Hope the ref doesnt drop his glasses ?

How did other DB's manage to not look as foolish as KJ?

KJ had a terrible yr. That's the bottom line. I Hope he improves this yr.

From my observations, I think because we played so much zone since Richard Smith, the back seven weren't taught to recognize route patterns as a whole.
When the opponents flood one zone with 2 or 3 receivers, we were left short-handed since we didn't stretch our zones very well as compared to better defenses.
The Ravens, for example, played a lot of zone, but their zone is much tighter than ours.

Wade's scheme relies on teaching the player to recognize routes and patterns. The LBs (especially the ILBs) will be of much more help in pass defense.
Good post.

Me too. I was stunned when they traded back into the 2nd to get him. Smith just doesn't pull off steals like that very often. I'm very hopeful for Carmichael, also. I really liked what I read/saw of him after the draft. Supposed to be another high effort guy who will put in the work and study time to improve his game.
click click

I think KJ needs to not tangle with WR until arrival of ball. He cannot hem miss and lose balance or be re-directed illegally or legally. He needs to re-train to a cover type corner rather than bump.

Back