Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kareem Jackson's plight.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Previously, I had mentioned that Jackson was a victim of the two-receiver pattern quite a few times.

It involves a cover 3 scheme for the defense.
The receiver that KJ lined up on would run some sort of an inside route (whether a skinny post or a post route.)
The receiver (or TE) on the opposite side of the field (Quin covering) would run a crossing route through the middle.

The single safety in the middle can either step down on the crossing route or stay deep to help Jackson defend the inside route.
If the safety steps down too quickly, the QB would go long with nobody to man the middle.
Unless the other CB (Quin) quickly moves up top to take the place of the safety, Jackson becomes the goat.

The Texans actually did it right once, where Quin was about to collect an INT, only to have Nolan also got back and deflected the pass into the receiver's hands.

The Texans offense was no stranger to this pattern; they ran it successfully a few times themselves.

One example is the 53-yd defensive inteference that the Colts CB had to commit in week one to avoid a longer TD pass.

Here are some screen shots to depict the play.

The Colts originally showed cover 2.
I simply depict the LCB as Jackson and the RCB as Quin.

1-Cover2.jpg

The Texans were in a 2-TE, single back set.
Foster would fake a run to the right;
The FS would step down to play the run.

2-RunFake-FScomesdown.jpg

Walter run the skinny post;
the LCB (Jackson) would turn him in toward the middle and trailed to the outside, guarding the corner route or a come-backer.

AJ ran the crossing route.
The SS would step down to check him.
The RCB (Quin) hesiatated a bit (he needed to be sure that AJ ws not to come back to his side) before he head up top to take over the SS place in the middle.
A little hesitation was all it took.

3-Cover1SlantPost.jpg

Now we know that Walter doesn't have elite speed. yet he had to come to an almost-complete stop to wait for the ball.
Only then that the LCB can arrive to jump all over him for a PI to prevent the catch.
Is that CB (Hayden) a turtle?

Here's the view from the end zone as Walter released inside.
We can see the SS came down to play the crossing route.

1-SScomesdownontheslanr.jpg

Here we can see the SS cutting off the crossing route;
A LB also dropped back to help underneath.

2-Doubleteam.jpg

In the meantime, Walter had got great separation from the LCB while the RCB was still a long way off.

3-Latedropkick.jpg

As Walter turned back to the inside, he naturally got separation from the LCB.
This guy simply doesn't know which way the receiver was going.
Remember that this was not man coverage (because the other CB never followed AJ on the crossing route.)

vlcsnap-2972112.jpg

vlcsnap-2972122.jpg

vlcsnap-2972132.jpg

vlcsnap-2972142.jpg

vlcsnap-2972150.jpg

To sum it up, if Schaub had hit Walter in stride, that would have been an easy TD and Hayden would look just like Kareem Jackson.

I'm saying that it makes absolutely no sense to let a receiver release inside without help.
There's just too much ground for a CB to cover, especially when he doesn't know whcih way the ball is going to go; only the offense knows.

I've said before that it doesn't matter if you have Namdi covering that route, he would be at a disadvantage just the same.
(Don't think so? You just wait and see!)

To sum it up, if Schaub had hit Walter in stride, that would have been an easy TD and Hayden would look just like Kareem Jackson.

I'm saying that it makes absolutely no sense to let a receiver release inside without help.
There's just too much ground for a CB to cover, especially when he doesn't know whcih way the ball is going to go; only the offense knows.

I've said before that it doesn't matter if you have Namdi covering that route, he would be at a disadvantage just the same.

hmmmm jackson was always reading the back of the WR he was coverings jersey. I dont see how thats anyone fault but his own. Forget the safties if a CB always has to depend on a safety for help than that guy shouldnt be playing CB. One on one, we have seen many good CBs be able to cover a guy with no help over the top. Hell Aaron Gleen had Matt Stevens back there for help and he went to the pro bowl.

So, basically you're saying if Schaub could learn to hit our receivers in stride, we would have won more games & Walter would look like a legit #2 ?

:kitten:

So, basically you're saying if Schaub could learn to hit our receivers in stride, we would have won more games & Walter would look like a legit #2 ?

:kitten:
I don't think you can "learn" how to have a laser-rocket-cannon of an arm. It's like speed. Either you have it, or you don't. Schaub doesn't.
Nice thread, 76. You exposed a weakness in coverage and provided unequivocal evidence of Schaub lacking the said laser-rocket-cannon arm.

It might not have been a laser but he threw it from just behind the 10 yard line and hit the opposite 30. Thats a 65 yard throw. He had to get some air under it to get it that far but there are only a bare handful of guys who could have done it much better in my opinion.

It might not have been a laser but he threw it from just behind the 10 yard line and hit the opposite 30. Thats a 65 yard throw. He had to get some air under it to get it that far but there are only a bare handful of guys who could have done it much better in my opinion.

JaMarcus Russell could throw it that far from the sitting position....:kitten:

Jamarcus russel was a 6'5'' 300lb human cannon, and he was a one trick pony who washed out after 3 seasons. And like I said, a handful could do it better. Farve, Flacco, Cutler, and a few other notable strong arms could have heaved it 75 yards. But despite what you might think, the average qb might be able to throw 60 yards on a good day with no one rushing him. Shaub did it with only a few seconds to read it, set his feet, and pull the trigger.

Is he elite? No.

Is he better than over half the QBs in the league? Yes.

Do his other qualities that he bring to the table (that a guy like Jamarcus Russel, Kyle Boller, and Cutler dont have) make up for not having one of the best deep balls in the game? Yes

Jamarcus russel was a 6'5'' 300lb human cannon, and he was a one trick pony who washed out after 3 seasons. And like I said, a handful could do it better. Farve, Flacco, Cutler, and a few other notable strong arms could have heaved it 75 yards. But despite what you might think, the average qb might be able to throw 60 yards on a good day with no one rushing him. Shaub did it with only a few seconds to read it, set his feet, and pull the trigger.

Is he elite? No.

Is he better than over half the QBs in the league? Yes.

Do his other qualities that he bring to the table (that a guy like Jamarcus Russel, Kyle Boller, and Cutler dont have) make up for not having one of the best deep balls in the game? Yes

:kitten: <--- means he was just picking. In no way was he implying Jamarcus was/is a better QB than Schaub.

For the most part he agrees with you.

I like Schaub.
He's been doing all the things I wished (after the 09 season) he'd do to improve his game (in the 2010 season.).

As I understand, he's still on to those things (get rid of the ball quicker, working on his throwing motion, pull up and run.)
As long as he keeps at it, I have nothing to complain.
He can only get better with his reads and getting out faster on the bootleg.

I like Schaub.
He's been doing all the things I wished (after the 09 season) he'd do to improve his game (in the 2010 season.).

As I understand, he's still on to those things (get rid of the ball quicker, working on his throwing motion, pull up and run.)
and remaining on the field...

The next play in the same mold of the two-receiver pattern is the 60yd catch by AJ over the Jags in week 10.
Don't forget that AJ played on a sore ankle.

The Jags showed cover 2, but then sent a safety down in the box to play the run.

AJ ran a post route from the right slot while Dreessen ran the crossing route from the other side.

The other safety stepped down to check Dreessen.

That left Mathis (2006 Pro-Bowler and All-Pro) and the other CB Cox to play the deep route.

Let's see how it panned out.

The Jags were in cover two even though you can't see the other safety yet in these first 5 shots.

vlcsnap-4084638.jpg

vlcsnap-4084656.jpg

vlcsnap-4084674.jpg

vlcsnap-4084690.jpg

vlcsnap-4084720.jpg

Last edited:
Now you can see one safety coming down to play the run such that it became cover 3.

vlcsnap-4084792.jpg

vlcsnap-4084800.jpg

vlcsnap-4084807.jpg

vlcsnap-4084814.jpg

vlcsnap-4084822.jpg

In this last screenshot you can see the safety coming down as well a AJ and Dreessen on the start of their respective route.

I like Schaub.

I like Schaub also. I guess I should've used the :sarcasm: smiley. I was just having a bit of fun. :whip:

I like the title: Kareem Jackson's "Plight"

As if he has been stricken by some random illness, against his will.

LOL. Sigh......

The next five shots will show that Schaub couldnt step fully into his throw due to pressure.

vlcsnap-4084887.jpg

vlcsnap-4084894.jpg

vlcsnap-4084901.jpg

vlcsnap-4084907.jpg

vlcsnap-4084911.jpg

Last edited:
Now you will see Dreessen on his crossing route.
By this time, the other safety had turned back to chase the deeper route by AJ as Schaub had already released the ball.

vlcsnap-4084918.jpg

vlcsnap-4084921.jpg

vlcsnap-4084924.jpg

vlcsnap-4084926.jpg

vlcsnap-4084928.jpg

In the last two shots, you can see the deep safety in the middle.

Somebody had to upgrade from the free option to the paid option with Photobucket.

I'm just sayin'.....

And here comes AJ, all by his lonesome.
Similarly to Walter, AJ had to wait for the ball on his one leg.
Notice how far mathis was from the play!

vlcsnap-4090532.jpg

vlcsnap-4090539.jpg

vlcsnap-4090552.jpg

vlcsnap-4090558.jpg

vlcsnap-4090565.jpg

LOL. He just keeps posting volumes of screen shots. LOL. Wow.

Oblivious to anything else, he's going to go until he's got to open up another file storage account.

(Panting with exhaustion) Must. Upload. ALL. SCREENSHOTS!!!!

Oblivious to anything else, he's going to go until he's got to open up another file storage account.

(Panting with exhaustion) Must. Upload. ALL. SCREENSHOTS!!!!

Hey, I've already said that I don't know this stuff.
It will be helpfull if you can show me a quicker way to do all this! :hurrah:

And so then, I was like, "Yeah, I know what it looks like...but still, I mean SERIOUSLY??"

And the room erupted into laughter.

That's when we realized that we could never go back to just being friends. The whole thing was awkward. Like I said earlier, two ships passing in the night.

Oh well. What's a guy to do?

And then, out of nowhere I began to notic----HEY! Where's the next set of screenshots???

What the hell? Get back to work, 76. I need those screen shots, and I needed them YESTERDAY!!!!

And so then, I was like, "Yeah, I know what it looks like...but still, I mean SERIOUSLY??"

And the room erupted into laughter.

That's when we realized that we could never go back to just being friends. The whole thing was awkward. Like I said earlier, two ships passing in the night.

Oh well. What's a guy to do?

And then, out of nowhere I began to notic----HEY! Where's the next set of screenshots???

What the hell? Get back to work, 76. I need those screen shots, and I needed them YESTERDAY!!!!

See, I have to get up to go to work early tomorrow.
I have all these screenshots upload to photobucket already.
(And I've already spent a lot of time finding a shareware to reduce the size of these screenshots and do that in order to save space on photobucket - but I thought Photobucket already gives you unlimited storage space?).

Anyhow, the next set of screenshots will show Namdi Asomugha in the same boat.
Now, that ought to be good, wouldn't it ?!?

Personally, I do not mind dissenting opinions at all.
I'm the kind of guy who can get into a fight with another guy and the next thing you know it, we become good friends.
No sweat!

That left Mathis (2006 Pro-Bowler and All-Pro) and the other CB Cox to play the deep route.

Let's see how it panned out.

At first I thought you meant JEROME Mathis, and I was gonna say "man, looks like we are hopping in the way way back machine" lol.

And oops, ya I was unaware of the meaning of the cute kitty smiley

I don't think you can "learn" how to have a laser-rocket-cannon of an arm. It's like speed. Either you have it, or you don't. Schaub doesn't.
Nice thread, 76. You exposed a weakness in coverage and provided unequivocal evidence of Schaub lacking the said laser-rocket-cannon arm.
I know Schaub doesn't have a laser-rocket arm and there's been quite a few times where he hasn't hit the receiver in stride but I'm not sure it doesn't have to do more with us running so much play-action. That takes the play a little longer to develop and the wideout gets downfield quicker.

If you look at the time as the play unfolds, I don't know that there's many QB's that can throw a 60+ yard laser. Flacco, Big Ben, I'm sure a few more.

6:02 - play starts (play action).
5:59 - Schaub begins throw at 7 yard line.
5:58 - Schaub releases the ball with front foot on 9 yard line.
5:56 - Walter enters screenshot at 35 yard line.
5:55 - Pass Interference while Walter is at 31 yard line (ball lands at the 29).

So it takes 4 seconds from the snap for Schaub to release the ball. And then it takes 3 seconds for the ball to travel 62 yards. My best guess is that Walter is around the 50 yard line when Schaub throws the ball and running full speed downfield.

Again, I'm not saying Schaub's arm isn't an "issue", I just think it gets overplayed as a weakness. I also suspect that Kubiak/Schaub have a "pass interference" play in the bag. While Walter isn't burner fast, he's sneaky fast and has a knack for drawing flags against the DB. But that's my tin foil hat talking I guess. ;)

Yall are missing the whole point of this thread. you do know he isnt doing this to show anything about schaub right. He is doing it to show how offenses fool safties and make CBs like Jackson look bad when its really not their fault. :texanbill: yall do get that right haha

Yall are missing the whole point of this thread. you do know he isnt doing this to show anything about schaub right. He is doing it to show how offenses fool safties and make CBs like Jackson look bad when its really not their fault. :texanbill: yall do get that right haha
Yup, and that's why I think all this talk about how Jackson is the 'worst football player ever' mentality is overreaction. Certainly he didn't have a great rookie season but I still think he can be a good player for us.

But find me one thread, just ONE thread on this board, that has ever stayed on topic! :spin:

Yup, and that's why I think all this talk about how Jackson is the 'worst football player ever' mentality is overreaction. Certainly he didn't have a great rookie season but I still think he can be a good player for us.

But find me one thread, just ONE thread on this board, that has ever stayed on topic! :spin:

haha yeah i agree he can get better but ol 76 up there keeps trying to convince me/us that K.J was good last season. i mean seriously we all know better, i'm not saying he wont improve, hell i hope he becomes a HOF Cb but as far as last season goes he was horrendous. :aggressive:

That point has escaped me at all. I pointed that out in a previous post....
:peek:

He's a machine.

But find me one thread, just ONE thread on this board, that has ever stayed on topic!
You're right. But how many threads are taken off topic by the thread starter on the 2nd post? This has to be some type of record.

Oh, and Kareem Jackson still sucks. As far as we know.

Here's the series where Namdi was in the same boat as Jackson.
This one resulted in a 41-yd TD, but it could have been 99yd for all we know.
In the first screen shot, you cannot see the safety but he's back there.

1Lineup.jpg

Back