Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kansas City Chiefs @ Houston Texans. Noon. 9/13. CBS. **Official Liberty White Thread**

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
In theory I get what Marshall is saying...it just isn't Hoyer. The textbook the for what he is talking about is Aikman. Aikman had a career 61% but if you watched and listen to him he wasn't 'throwing to Irvin' he was 'throwing to the upper right of the 88.' He was ridiculously accurate. If he had an incompletion it was often by choice.

That's not Hoyer. Hoyer prays to throw a catchable ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The fact is, in this case, Hoyer has had enough dropbacks to know that his career 56% is no more misleading than his other 44% of attempts.
Really?

Andrew Luck was 54% after his first 12 starts. Alex Smith was like 50% after 32 games.

I don't have a problem treating Hoyer like a second year starter, or Mallet, still basically like a rookie. I don't expect them to be throwing 60% or better. I'd be really impressed if they did. But they have to pass the eye test & Hoyer failed pretty badly. He was put in some tough situations & he acted the way you don't ever want your QB to act. Scared & stupid. I don't know that a guy can come back from scared & stupid. I can't think of one example.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
That's a fair point on the sheer number of attempts. You and I both know though that 30 year old journeymen simply don't get the same kind of allowances as fresh faced number one picks in the draft. NFL fact of life, man.

Luck, Smith, even Winston get to have an arc to their learning curve. 30 year old guy has to have a rocket pack attached on his. Won't be much easier for 27 yo second chancer.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's a fair point on the sheer number of attempts. You and I both know though that 30 year old journeymen simply don't get the same kind of allowances as fresh faced number one picks in the draft. NFL fact of life, man.

Luck, Smith, even Winston get to have an arc to their learning curve. 30 year old guy has to have a rocket pack attached on his. Won't be much easier for 27 second chancer.
Exactly... for suits & giggles, I googled Vinny Testeverde... different era & all, but interesting none the less.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Are you people actually trying to use stats to prove or disprove this?

Look at the ball.

Hoyer throws like a 3rd grade girl.
No ****.

I'm willing to assume Mallett's cocky ass is going to throw some 'WTF you thought you could make that' balls for INTs but I bet there are a lot of throws like that TD and 2 PT that are 'WTF that worked' as well.

If OB wants the QB guru moniker he needs to rein in Mallett instead of try to build up never gonna be Hoyer.

OB needs to pony up.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
No ****.

I'm willing to assume Mallett's cocky ass is going to throw some 'WTF you thought you could make that' balls for INTs but I bet there are a lot of throws like that TD and 2 PT that are 'WTF that worked' as well.

If OB wants the QB guru moniker he needs to rein in Mallett instead of try to build up never gonna be Hoyer.

OB needs to pony up.
Maybe the whole strategy was just to piss off Mallett so he comes out and plays like a madman the rest of the season.

Lol

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Maybe the whole strategy was just to piss off Mallett so he comes out and plays like a madman the rest of the season.

Lol
Don't remember who, but someone previously suggested that naming Hoyer was to light a fire under Mallett. Not sure I buy into that, but who knows. However unlikely, I suppose anything is possible.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Don't remember who, but someone previously suggested that naming Hoyer was to light a fire under Mallett. Not sure I buy into that, but who knows. However unlikely, I suppose anything is possible.
I think that was stated before OTA's started when we thought he was signed as a back-up. Obviously that wasn't true since the competition was even except for the closed practices.

Vance87

All Pro
It did anyway, but no chance OB purposefully puts the team in a bad position just to fire up another guy.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I'm going to drop this here and it will be my last post in this thread. I'm just curious and it has nothing to do with how the Texans did (I've felt like this for years), am I the only one who is just incredibly tired of the white on white season opening thing? I don't care for the look (goes back to the old Oiler's days when they ran with the all-white look for a while) but on top of that why does it have to be every single opening day? Why not a "Deep Steel Blue Beat Down" or even drop a "Battle Red" day on opening day? Maybe even just hold off for a few weeks and open the season at home wearing your home colors for a change?

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I'm going to drop this here and it will be my last post in this thread. I'm just curious and it has nothing to do with how the Texans did (I've felt like this for years), am I the only one who is just incredibly tired of the white on white season opening thing? I don't care for the look (goes back to the old Oiler's days when they ran with the all-white look for a while) but on top of that why does it have to be every single opening day? Why not a "Deep Steel Blue Beat Down" or even drop a "Battle Red" day on opening day? Maybe even just hold off for a few weeks and open the season at home wearing your home colors for a change?
I like the red, and I like the blue, but I'm not a fan of any one color pants and jerseys combo, especially white. I also don't care for the "themes" for each game. Just wear the cool unis, like the red, whenever you feel like it.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why can't they alternate red top/blue pants and red top/white pants?

Basically, keep the red all the time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why can't they alternate red top/blue pants and red top/white pants?

Basically, keep the red all the time.
Because our colors are Blue & White. Blue with red & White.

White with blue & red.

The alternate uniforms is something the league allows I guess just three days of the year. We chose to do Battle red day, deep steel blue, & liberty white, which just makes sense to do near labor day (to me anyway).

I'd like it if they changed our colors to red, with white & blue... & White with red & blue. Then put the logo we use now on a white helmet.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I think we all know this by now, but these are... tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit
Film: #Chiefs DL of DeVito, Howard, Bailey and Poe did a very good job of preventing #Texans blockers from working up to 2nd level.

#Chiefs Film: Poe looked good. Besides limited snaps, no signs of back issues.

Film: #Chiefs were often able to defeat #Texans run game when in a 6-man box.

#Texans Film: Hopkins did not have a strong game. Too many plays not fine-tuned.

#Texans Film: Hoyer in second half did not read the field with good clarity or confidence.

Film: #Chiefs in obvious pass situations at times play man-free lurk, often out of distorted initial coverage looks.

#Texans Film: LT Brown showed good base and balance in pass pro vs. Hali bull rush.

#Texans Film: when Hoyer had a clean pocket he was fine, at times even very good.

#Texans Film: Washington 19 yds and 18 yds on 3rd-7ish both cases Hoyer good throws into smaller zone voids.

#Texans #Chiefs Film: Newton also struggled vs. Houston’s bull rush.

#Texans #Chiefs Film: Justin Houston’s speed and athletic lean gave RT Newton problems.

#Chiefs #Texans Film: Howard sack he soundly beat LG Allen, swiped down his block.

#Chiefs Film: Derrick Johnson immediately stood out in interior run defense. Recognition and fluid quickness.

#Texans Film: Hopkins 4-yd TD high-pointed the ball on fade vs. Peters. Capped a very sharp end of the drive by Hoyer.

Film: #Texans pass pro outstanding early on, Hoyer good job calmly working late into the down. Ball placement was hit-or-miss, however.

#Texans Film: Washington 19 yds was 2 WR left and RB and TE’s to right, empty set. 1st down, formation matched slot WR on OLB Hali.

cont...Hopkins a haphazard route and did not work back to the ball, but that wouldn’t have changed outcome. No idea.

#Texans #Chiefs Film: Peters INT on first play I can’t begin to understand what Hoyer saw and what he thought he was throwing....

moving on to #Texans offense vs. #Chiefs defense film here shortly.

#Chiefs Film: Almost every downfield throw for Smith involved play action.

Film: #Texans offense settled down in second half, did much better job diagnosing against a #Chiefs offense that has well-disguised designs.

#Texans Film: Watt did not move around a whole lot this game. Likely wanted to work specifically against RT Reid.

#Chiefs Film: Knile Davis at times had slight tendency to slow himself in COD when expecting contact.

#Texans Film: Crick was sturdy at times vs. run, held ground and didn’t allow blockers to disengage.

cont.... Tough for inexperienced RG Duvernay-Tardif to recognize, and he didn’t.

#Texans #Chiefs Film: Watt’s second sack created by well-designed long-stunt for Clowney out of double-A-gap.....

Film: #Texans also used double-A-gap looks on pass downs. Another way to propagate 1 on 1 blocking.

#Texans Film: Watt’s ability to accelerate while dipping forces good OT’s to reach. Bad OT’s will reach and bend at waist.

Film: #Texans on early downs in nickel at times played double 3-techs (Wilfork and Crick) with LB occupying the C. Creates 1 on 1 run-blocks

Correction: NOT a catch -- play was reversed. Call it "good effort" then.

#Chiefs #Texans Film: Maclin 39 yds great catch against good 1 on1 bump-run coverage by Joseph. Adjusted to ball thrown a tad short+inside.

#Chiefs Film: De'Anthony Thomas in this system clearly a WR or gadget WR, not a RB. Teams will play nickel against him, not base.

Film: must be on high alert for Kelce crossing patterns. It’s a #Chiefs staple.

cont....he’ll out-athlete every puller from every angle. At least zone concepts ensure a body on him at all times.

#Texans Film: Watt a tough player to run a gap scheme ground game against. You often allow him initial movement and....

#Chiefs Film: Charles relocated often before snap. That much harder to defend. Great example was 7-yd TD catch. Shifted backfield to slot.

Film: #Chiefs one of the most diverse screen games in NFL. Designed RB passes were factor in this game.

#Texans #Chiefs Film: Watt’s first sack was speed rush around Reid, who reach a bit.

Film: #Chiefs a lot of gap scheme run plays. Pull-blockers a big part of the run game plan.

Film: #Chiefs great mix of formations and presnap motions/shifts.

#Chiefs Film: Maclin 20 yds another quarters-beater concept off play-action.

#Chiefs Film: Surprised how willing Smith was to attempt stick throws in the red zone. Not typically his game.

#Chiefs Film: Mitch Morse looked very athletic, both in short area and in space. Showed great ability to make adjustments.

#Chiefs Film: Kelce 18 yds another nice tighter window throw by Smith. This time late in the down.

#Texans Film: Cushing recognized plays but struggled to finish them.

#Chiefs #Texans Film: on Kelce TD, C Morse peeled back around to double-team Watt. Tactic allowed for 7-step timing.

#Chiefs Film: Kelce 42-yd TD was trips route combo designed to exploit Quarters coverage, which #Texans played a lot in 1st qtr. Great call.

#Chiefs not as strict of a "21" or "12" personnel team considering D. Thomas 18 snaps. Listed at RB, used as gadget player.

#Chiefs #Texans Film: Charles 17 yd swing pass on 3rd-13 was OPI – Kelce blocked man defender Cushing away from the play.

#Chiefs Film: Kelce 10-yd TD was switch release out of 3 LOS TE formation. Smith fantastic tight window anticipation throw.

On second thought, more accurate: #Texans defended #Chiefs unbalanced condensed formations with variation of Quarters.

Film: #Texans defended #Chiefs unbalanced condensed formations with Cover 6 – quarters to spread side, Cover 2 to short side.

Film: No. 3 WR Avant only played 11 snaps. #Chiefs a “21” or “12” personnel offense.

Will be breaking down and tweeting the #Chiefs #Texans film over next few hrs. Starting with KC offense v HOU defense