Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Justin Herbert

The head coach for the Chargers has as much to do with them being home as any player.

Just saying.
Exactly. Using analytics as a tool to help you along is fine. Staley, however, used analytics as gospel and it literally kept him from making the playoffs. The game he flat out refused to kick a FG in against the Chiefs, and I don't know if last night's go for it on your own 18 yard line was analytics driven, but it cost them a FG, which if all things remain equal, might have given them the W in regulation.

I'd have to go back and see if he made any bonehead decisions against the Texans because all I remember from that game is the Texans kicking their ass, but I know the last couple of games I watched the Chargers play, KC and LV, he was horrible at the decision making. Not quite Culley declining a penalty to punt instead of play the down over bad, but pretty bad.

Fair.

there is a lot to think about, bang your head against the table, question roster construction and rotation of available players or just being historical choke franchise.

like Texans, some point you just have to move forward, try to adjust for mistakes and reconstruct roster holes. Hence our lord savior, the NFL Draft- all in on Herbie

1643832374728.png

Last edited:
Time for Herbert update, in Mike Sando’s excellent article for the athletic, creating a poll from 50 NFL coaches and executives, Justin Herbert cracked Tier One.
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Patrick Mahomes
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Josh Allen
  5. Justin Herbert
  6. Joe Burrow

Time for Herbert update, in Mike Sando’s excellent article for the athletic, creating a poll from 50 NFL coaches and executives, Justin Herbert cracked Tier One.
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Patrick Mahomes
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Josh Allen
  5. Justin Herbert
  6. Joe Burrow

Knew, out of all people you’d remember our discussions.
:barman:

Knew, out of all people you’d remember our discussions.
:barman:
I really think you took it out of context. If you go back & look, all I was saying is that at the end of his first season, there was only hope. Not that he was. I knew the potential was there. Just like we're being told to temper our expectations for Davis Mills, that's all I was saying.

pit
I really think you took it out of context. If you go back & look, all I was saying is that at the end of his first season, there was only hope. Not that he was. I knew the potential was there. Just like we're being told to temper our expectations for Davis Mills, that's all I was saying.

Don't think it's out of context at all. Merely stating observations off first season heading into second season that he would keep improving, based off merely rookie sample size and metrics you can clearly see on film. Could be wrong but think last season he was a top 10 or tier 2 QB (was absolutely correct). Now off second season all signs point upwards as shown from inside sources around the league, now tier 1. Don't see him stopping anytime soon either. Probably him and Burrows in it for the long term.

Was one of the biggest supporters of selecting Mills 1st in 3rd rd. despite groupthink (not pointing this one at you) it was a waste to take QB this late with some many other positions of need. Clearly. I'm not a groupthinker, have no problem calling it especially when it comes to football talent coming into the NFL, what happens after that really depends how a franchise embraces and supports the picks.

Don't think it's out of context at all. Merely stating observations off first season heading into second season that he would keep improving, based off merely rookie sample size and metrics you can clearly see on film. Could be wrong but think last season he was a top 10 or tier 2 QB (was absolutely correct).
definitely out of context. All I was saying is that he's not elite, until he's elite. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Was one of the biggest supporters of selecting Mills 1st in 3rd rd. despite groupthink (not pointing this one at you) it was a waste to take QB this late with some many other positions of need.
I'm definitely not in the group think, my reasoning for not picking a QB had nothing to do with need. I was being more sarcastic about it at the time, aiming at those who were saying 2021 was a lost season before it started. If the Texans selected Davis as their possible QB of the future, the clock starts. So if they hired a figure head headcoach & didn't expect him to coach a quality football team, it makes no sense to get your QB.

pit

Don't think it's out of context at all. Merely stating observations off first season heading into second season that he would keep improving, based off merely rookie sample size and metrics you can clearly see on film. Could be wrong but think last season he was a top 10 or tier 2 QB (was absolutely correct). Now off second season all signs point upwards as shown from inside sources around the league, now tier 1. Don't see him stopping anytime soon either. Probably him and Burrows in it for the long term.

Was one of the biggest supporters of selecting Mills 1st in 3rd rd. despite groupthink (not pointing this one at you) it was a waste to take QB this late with some many other positions of need. Clearly. I'm not a groupthinker, have no problem calling it especially when it comes to football talent coming into the NFL, what happens after that really depends how a franchise embraces and supports the picks.

This is why I love talking football in general with you and the draft in particular. Herbert avoided the sophmore slump and I think Mills will avoid it too. However Metchie getting hurt isn't going to do him any favors. I really hope Caserio does what's necessary to help Mills out and brings in Beasley.

definitely out of context. All I was saying is that he's not elite, until he's elite. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

He was elite the minute they threw him into that 1st game unprepared as a rookie. I don't need a panel of insiders to draw that conclusion, it's just verification from people who count, that NOW SAY he is elite, Top Tier.

I'm definitely not in the group think, my reasoning for not picking a QB had nothing to do with need. I was being more sarcastic about it at the time, aiming at those who were saying 2021 was a lost season before it started. If the Texans selected Davis as their possible QB of the future, the clock starts. So if they hired a figure head headcoach & didn't expect him to coach a quality football team, it makes no sense to get your QB.

Let me get this straight, your saying the Texans didn't need a QB? And 2021 was a lost season, a very lost season with a series of poor decisions and hires, but Davis Mills was the one a bright spot along with bringing in Pep Hamilton to school him. Been saying it since day one, saw this whole calamity unfold with the Chargers season before (2020) counting on Tyrod Taylor, managed only one game before injury and a Head Coach that might be a good man and hard worker but clearly not a good fit as Head Coach.

He was elite the minute they threw him into that 1st game unprepared as a rookie. I don't need a panel of insiders to draw that conclusion, it's just verification from people who count, that NOW SAY he is elite, Top Tier.
I'm guessing there's a difference in definition of elite.

He's got elite talent & skills. I agree. Apparent from day one.

But to me, an elite QB is someone who does it year after year. I can't call anyone elite after one year. But that's me.

Let me get this straight, your saying the Texans didn't need a QB?
Not what I'm saying. If you're going to take a mulligan on the HC, doesn't make sense to draft your "franchise QB."

Of course, the Texans hired Culley way before they drafted Davis. & you can't pass up on someone like Russell Wilson, or Dak Prescott, or even Kirk Cousins if he's there. But, you screwed yourself with that coaching hire.

This is why I love talking football in general with you and the draft in particular. Herbert avoided the sophmore slump and I think Mills will avoid it too. However Metchie getting hurt isn't going to do him any favors. I really hope Caserio does what's necessary to help Mills out and brings in Beasley.
Herbert avoided it mostly because he has elite talent and is surrounded with top end talent also. Herbert just needs to make the playoffs now. Carr made the playoffs despite having a shoddy defense and the coach getting fired. No more excuses with the talent on that team. Thats a top 5 roster.

Herbert avoided it mostly because he has elite talent and is surrounded with top end talent also. Herbert just needs to make the playoffs now. Carr made the playoffs despite having a shoddy defense and the coach getting fired. No more excuses with the talent on that team. Thats a top 5 roster.

Agreed

They filled the major holes on their team. Health as always will be key.

Back