Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Johnathan Joseph a TEXAN! (Cut March 11, 2020)

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Well I'm just glad that they actually signed two guys that they needed. Still wanted Nnamdi though. THe thing is when you don't get a guy like that you've got to consider where he might land and right now it looks like he'll be landing in NY where the Texans will have to go through those guys if they make it to the post season. If the get Nnamdi I don't see how throws on the Jets unless they're hitting the TE in the middle. I still want to see Rick Smith have more than one off season where he upgrades the team in free agency though. I don't want him to feel like he has signed these guys now so he can chill for a few years, you know what I mean?
The thing is, we got two high quality guys instead of one.

We took care of our own business, let Rex take care of his.

gary

Hall of Fame
I'll see some of you when I come to visit you in your hospital room over at St. Luke's because your heart rate is up and you are short of breath.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'll see some of you when I come to visit you in your hospital room over at St. Luke's because your heart rate is up and you are short of breath.
No, you might have to visit me in jail for running naked on the street cheering the false news you just spread!

I missed those big machine guns smiles! LOL!

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
Long time reader here and i finally decided to join the boards. loving the moves the team has made so far
Welcome aboard dude :jam:

Yeah, the moves have been good IMO and hey, you must be glad that Ed Warder isn't polluting your state on Favre watch this year so everyone wins!!!

But I got rail roaded for saying this fan base sucks ass. A lot of people in this city are critical as hell for no reason.
NO BS....I was delivering to a big company here in Houston, asked a guard while checking in if he was going to be watching MNF with the Texans (forgot who it was against....perhaps it was ThursdayNF) you know, small talk to keep the **** movin....

DUDE FLIPPED.

I can't even fathom the amount of f-bombs this guy dropped. I think he averaged about 5 or 6 per breath. Soooooo not a Texans fan? Cool. But you don't need to curse me out about it when I'm clearly just trying to be friendly.

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
NO BS....I was delivering to a big company here in Houston, asked a guard while checking in if he was going to be watching MNF with the Texans (forgot who it was against....perhaps it was ThursdayNF) you know, small talk to keep the **** movin....

DUDE FLIPPED.

I can't even fathom the amount of f-bombs this guy dropped. I think he averaged about 5 or 6 per breath. Soooooo not a Texans fan? Cool. But you don't need to curse me out about it when I'm clearly just trying to be friendly.
Homeboy just had some sand in the old vag.....it happens :kubepalm:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That doesn't make him a better signing than Nnamdi would have been. You can try to rationalize it in all these little forced positive ways all you want, but Nnamdi is most likely a HOF CB. HE shuts down elite guys like AJ even without a good pass rush to help him. The guy is incredible. Joseph was a good signing and I'm happy about it, but stop kidding yourself.
Most of us are happy with the way it went down. We went after Aso, he hem-hawed.. we didn't wait & went on with plan B.

To think signing Jonathan Joseph is a drastically inferior to Asomugha... that's ridiculous.

He didn't want to come to Houston.. we're not worthy, we get that. No reason to stew in it though.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I love that we stood our ground with Nnamdi and said "Look bro, this is it. You can either come or don't come. We're not gonna wait around for your ass. Don't wanna come? Fine, clock's tickin', thanks for your time bud"....then got the second best CB instead and another player.

Nawzer

Alienz
Is there going to be a press conference sometime today? I want to hear from Rick Smith, Kubiak, and Wade talk about this whole process of waiting for Nnamdi and then signing Joseph.

MFG16

Waterboy
Did ESPN not get the memo that we signed J-Jo? I'm not expecting Miami Heat coverage, but damn not even a toward the end of the show 30 second spot? NFLN too?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Did ESPN not get the memo that we signed J-Jo? I'm not expecting Miami Heat coverage, but damn not even a toward the end of the show 30 second spot? NFLN too?
Yeah, it's kinda irritating.

They were talking about us when we were in the Nnamdi sweepstakes but we made the move for JJoe and Manning and... poof. Nothing.

All the talk is VY, Kolb, and Aso.

I have to admit, I expected them to be at least kinda excited about the moves.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare

But ESPN has an article on their front page about Brett Favre!

MFG16

Waterboy
Yeah, it's kinda irritating.

They were talking about us when we were in the Nnamdi sweepstakes but we made the move for JJoe and Manning and... poof. Nothing.

All the talk is VY, Kolb, and Aso.

I have to admit, I expected them to be at least kinda excited about the moves.
Don't forget Matt Moore. Moore getting more coverage than J-Jo, sad.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Who reallly cares what the national media is doing. Follow the local guys and get the info you need.

Do you relly want to hear Jaime Dukes talk about the Texans?

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/bengals-apparently-planned-to-have-johnathan-joseph-in-camp/#comments

Though the Cincinnati Bengals lost cornerback Johnathan Joseph to the Texans, it looks like the Bengals possibly tried to keep him. Or, at a minimum, whoever makes the training-camp accommodations arrangements assumed they would.

In a reel of 31 training camp photos posted at the WLWT website, photo No. 11 shows a sheet of paper attached to the door of apartment 214, welcoming the four players who’ll be staying there: Brian Lainhart, Chris Crocker, Leon Hall.

And Johnathan Joseph.

Sure, someone may have simply gotten their wires crossed. But Joseph doesn’t get a lodging assignment for training camp unless someone put him on a list of players who would be there. So someone thought he would be there.

The easy explanation? It’s the Bengals.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Sort of brought a smile to my face.

Even with his injuries last year, Joseph led the secondary in tackles during multiple games. Helped limit Peyton Manning to a season-low 185 yards passing and no touchdown passes. Two tackles against the Colts were on third down that stopped the offense's possession. Two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) and three tackles against the Bills, leaving in the second quarter with an injury. And during Cincinnati's unlikely win over the San Diego Chargers, Joseph knocked down two passes and posted six tackles.
link

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
It'd be great if this guy can return a TD or two. Forcing turnovers (and capitalizing on them) has been a huge issue for us.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Loved reading this from the Bengals defensive coordinator:

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer expressed extreme frustration that the team let CB Johnathan Joseph leave for Houston.
"I was pretty much told we were going to get him back," said Zimmer. "I’m upset, disappointed, frustrated. It’s disappointing. You get good guys off the field, they work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. And you kind of mold them what you want them to look like and they get out of here."
http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3693/johnathan-joseph

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Loved reading this from the Bengals defensive coordinator:
I feel bad for Mike Zimmer. He's trying to build a defense, and Mike Brown pulls the rug from under him. There's no reason the Bengals shouldn't have re-signed Joseph. They had the cap room. Hell, they'll have trouble getting to the cap floor. I would be livid if I were a Bengal fan. Though I'd probably been used to it by now.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Most of us are happy with the way it went down. We went after Aso, he hem-hawed.. we didn't wait & went on with plan B.

To think signing Jonathan Joseph is a drastically inferior to Asomugha... that's ridiculous.

He didn't want to come to Houston.. we're not worthy, we get that. No reason to stew in it though.
Just to refer to Tex's post:

NO, Aso never shut down AJ by himself, not even by a long shot!

I also watched the vid Matt Thomas (?) put up (a few INTs from 06) in a claim that Aso shut down half the field by himself (He did make the claim on radio).

Except he forgot that there was a safety lurking or there was a certain situation. I definitely will not use the vid to claim that a CB shut down an entire half of the field.

Tell me what you think:
http://www.sports790.com/pages/mattthomas.html

You will need to scroll down to the vid.

No hard feeling, Matt!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Aso had trouble stopping Kevin Walter last year.

But every corner gets beat.
I think that says a lot about how precise Walter runs his routes than anything else ..... A perfectled executed route and pass combination will beat coverage damn near every time. Sloppy routes and inaccurate passes end up as incompletions or turnovers.

Not to hijack the thread - But I was watching some Chad 85 highlights earlier today ..... Teams routinely double him yet he is still very productive mainly due to the precision of his routes ... I think the guy does damn well in NE with Brady , might have a career year.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Drob = 6 years 57 mil 25.5 guaranteed
Jj = 5 years 49 mil 23.5 guaranteed

I don't know how guaranteed money counts when averaging the annual average salary, but it looks like we are paying the same amount for a better and younger corner.

The only thing that will always stand out in my mind was when it was dunta's last year, 2009 I believe, the Texans were wearing battle red uni's for Monday night football, it was in the last minutes of the game and the defense had to hold vince young to win the game, vince threw the ball downfield and hit dunta between the numbers and dunta didn't come down with it. And then Kris Brown misses the field goal. And yes, I was on the side of the stadium that started cheering because from our angle it looked liked Kris made it. That was a bad year.

It looks like our luck is changing.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm really liking his response, he feels the Texans are a team on the rise with the right pieces on the back end! It's not just about the money. :specnatz:
I agree...I got all misty-eyed reading about a highly regarded FA who chose to play in Houston so he could be part of what we're doing here.

Allstar

Bona fide
Unlike Aso who only plays one side, Joseph aye both. Now was he asked to cover the opposing #1, I don't know.
That's all based on the scheme, not the player. You can't fault Aso or anyone for following what their coaches tell them to do.

From what I've read on the Bengals' forum, they are really worried that Leon Hall now has to cover #1 receivers because he doesn't have the speed that Joseph does. SO based on that observation, I'm assuming JJo did in fact follow 1s across the field.

That's all based on the scheme, not the player. You can't fault Aso or anyone for following what their coaches tell them to do.

From what I've read on the Bengals' forum, they are really worried that Leon Hall now has to cover #1 receivers because he doesn't have the speed that Joseph does. SO based on that observation, I'm assuming JJo did in fact follow 1s across the field.
Yes. Last year Joseph covered the opposing team's #1 receiver in man coverage. Hall tended to play the #2 in zone coverage, since his lack of speed is well documented. Bengals fans are terrified becuase if he is asked to play the #1 receiver in man, he will have to give them a cushion as opposed to Joseph who was quick enough to play bump and run.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Aso got the rep and then NOBODY tested him. I get aguy is good, but you can't let a single CB intimidate you.
QBs generally don't mind testing you if the worst that's going to happen is an incomplete pass. & that's the worst that is going to happen if you throw it his way.

QBs were scurred to throw at Deon, because he was a threat to intercept it & take it to the house.

If QBs weren't throwing to Aso, it was most likely because the other CB was a joke... see Petey Faggins. It wasn't that Dunta scared them so much as the other side of the field was a QBs wet dream.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
QBs generally don't mind testing you if the worst that's going to happen is an incomplete pass. & that's the worst that is going to happen if you throw it his way.

QBs were scurred to throw at Deon, because he was a threat to intercept it & take it to the house.

If QBs weren't throwing to Aso, it was most likely because the other CB was a joke... see Petey Faggins. It wasn't that Dunta scared them so much as the other side of the field was a QBs wet dream.
must spread rep

b0ng

Bad Hombre

Stanford Routt is actually not a bad cornerback either. Aso can intercept passes just fine, it's just that his coverage is so good QB's know that if they throw towards that guy he has a good chance of being in such great position that he can catch it. Deion constantly baited QB's into throwing his way because he was able to play so far off his man, and have the make-up speed to be able to grab the ball and take it back 80 yards (dancing for 40 of them).

The fact is also that Aso plays like a lead blanket all over whoever his man is and generally when QB's watch film and that's what the guy does every single snap, they generally try to test other pieces of the defense. Don't try to kid yourself into thinking that Joseph is the superior corner because he is not.

That's nothing against Joseph though as he is still very very good.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
To follow up. Deion is a hall of famer because of more than that. QB's were so scared of him that they stopped throwing at him. Then he started baiting them by laying off WR's just to get them to throw his way. Then he would intercept. He had the best closing speed I have ever seen. Would look totally out of coverage and then all the sudden he is making an INT while accelerating up field. Never seen another DB like him.