Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Johnathan Joseph a TEXAN! (Cut March 11, 2020)

From Glover Quinn's twitter:

Contrats to Jonathan Joseph.. Lets make it happen this yr.. See u in Houston..
7 mins 6 secs ago

sure it wasnt knock it down mr joseph....and not in field of play...

sorry couldnt resist....after billionth time seeing that jags blip on nfln , no one in right mind would question this signing

We went after the top Safety in the class... Weddle, while we were going after Aso.

Money is no object to Mr. McNair, regardless what some disenchanted Texans' fans want you to believe.

If remember reading right all the talk of Nmadi coming to Houston started after we lost weddle. I think the original plan was Weddle & Joseph IMO

The more I think about it the more excited I am getting. I think KJ lost his starting spot. If they are smart they Grab Manning, start the Safety we drafted and have KJ sit for a year learning how to be an NFL CB before he suffers anymore trauma.

If they were smart they would throw them all in a bucket & let them compete for their jobs in camp.

The more I think about it the more excited I am getting. I think KJ lost his starting spot. If they are smart they Grab Manning, start the Safety we drafted and have KJ sit for a year learning how to be an NFL CB before he suffers anymore trauma.

I predict KJ will look alot better this season.

I think it was highly unlikely that KJ would keep his starting job. It's going to be JJ at the one and Allen as the 2. KJ will be the nickel, and Quin + Manning (hopefully) will be our safeties.

Clearly John McClain has made a magnificent discovery in this restructuring concept. The NFL will never be the same.

So tier 1 is $12m/yr
& tier 2 is $4m/yr

REally?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Josh Wilson should have gotten a bigger payday, or at least signed with us to be CB #2 (I wanted him, more than cromartie actually).

The league is flooded with tier 2 corners, most teams start 2. Josh Wilson is a mid to upper tier 2 corner, with tier 1 potential, the skins actually made a great deal on that one.

JoJo, when healthy is a mid tier 1 corner, ranging down to high tier 2 when hurt. His deal isn't going to be as cap intensive this year as McClain thinks. For one, first year salary is usually the lowest on the contract, and for 2, when the NFL gets its new TV contracts the salary caps are going to skyrocket, thats why its so important this offseason to get the all best players that you possibly can.

The Redskins are currently attempting to do this, with Wilson, Bowen, Cofield, reupping Moss and stealing Otogwe, some of their moves are still questionable, but I understand the ideology of the approach they are taking and hopefully now that we're out of the Nnamdi shadow we can do the same

So tier 1 is $12m/yr
& tier 2 is $4m/yr

REally?

Depends on how you define the tiers.

Tier 1 being elite corners and tier 2 being good, solid corners.

It's probably more like 6-8 million for tier 2 guys because of the demand for the position.

Some teams have to overpay to get those guys to come in.

I think it was highly unlikely that KJ would keep his starting job. It's going to be JJ at the one and Allen as the 2. KJ will be the nickel, and Quin + Manning (hopefully) will be our safeties.

I don't believe Allen is on the team at the moment.

And forgive me cus I know there is a lot of Allen love on this board, but Allen was horrible. Just horrible. My opinion.

I am thinking Quinn and JJo as our starting CB's.

I am really excited for this pickup. Just think if Aso wsa not in this Free Agent class JJo would be THE defensive free agent. WE finally pulled thr trigger on a playmaker in FA. Now I have an idea that might not work as I dont know how much it would cost, try to get Cromartie now and move a decent sized JAllen to saftey. Or on the other hand leave JAllen where he is and pick up Manning/Landry and I'll be even happier either way.

:fingergun: Bang bang pick up!

Pretty sure a big reason for J Allen falling out with Miami was that he didn't want to play safety, I'm going to research that now as it could be total bollocks.

And forgive me cus I know there is a lot of Allen love on this board, but Allen was horrible. Just horrible. My opinion.

:foottap: take allen over K. Jac

I predict KJ will look alot better this season.

Joseph slots into 1 CB spot. The other spot is up in the air and will be fought over by Allen, Jackson, McManus, Harrison, and Carmichael.

I think what we will see is this:

CB1: Joseph
CB2: Allen
Nickel:Jackson
Dime:Harrison

Reserve on squad: Carmicahel
Practice Squad: McManus

Cut: McCain, Moulden.

Joseph slots into 1 CB spot. The other spot is up in the air and will be fought over by Allen, Jackson, McManus, Harrison, and Carmichael.

I would like this but I still see us going with 6 on the roster (5 active on gameday)

Me and my liver hope so.

I don't know though. With the lockout eliminating the offseason he might as well be pushing a bolder up hill.

Mine too, lol.

Having a proven vet opposite him would have helped him last year.

Sign a real safety, and the Son of Bum calling the shots, I think he looks tremendously better.

And it was a lot of money for a second tier CB.

Revis asked for $162 million over 10 years, while the Jets offered $122 million for the same period, ESPN said.

Nnamdi Asomugha of the Oakland Raiders is the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback in terms of average value, with a three- year, $45.3 million contract.

Darrelle Revis Practices With Jets After Seven-Month Contract Impasse Ends

Q
By Erik Matuszewski - Sep 6, 2010 11:01 PM CT

Info from Bloomberg.
Actually not to bad IMO

Not elligible

Pretty sure a big reason for J Allen falling out with Miami was that he didn't want to play safety, I'm going to research that now as it could be total bollocks.

The reason Allen fell out with Miami is that he sucks.

People counting on Allen to be a solid #2 are going to be very disappointed. Dude played below average for us and people think he is a legit starter?

We are better off letting K Jax grow. Allen has disappointed time and time again.

It should be Joseph 1, K Max 2. Let Harris fight it out with Allen for the nickel. My guess is that Harris outplays him pretty quickly.

does anyone know if the Bengals even made an offer to keep Joseph? at least the Texans did make a serious offer to "pay me rick" Dunta Robinson before he jolted for Atlanta. We should have a little symphony for Bengal fans plight & maybe a moment of silence........

OK :fans:

I'm starting to think that the texans used aso to get jojo.

They have been documented as going after weddle and other safeties.

Maybe they used aso to put pressure on the guy they wanted all along.

People counting on Allen to be a solid #2 are going to be very disappointed. Dude played below average for us and people think he is a legit starter?

We are better off letting K Jax grow. Allen has disappointed time and time again.

he did good for us last season. I think if we go off of what they have done in the NFL, Allen wins over K. Jackson

he did good for us last season. I think if we go off of what they have done in the NFL, Allen wins over K. Jackson

He did not do good for us. He played better than our piss poor secondary for a PORTION of a season.

Allen is not a good cornerback plain and simple.

You will see, as did Saban, Cameron, and the rest of the league.

I know what you mean. My worry with him is that he's a Texans mid-season FA who came in mid-season and was better than what we had. They usually look just as bad as whoever we had before by the time they've been through a Texans training camp, but hey, we're in a new era of optimism :fingergun:

The real problem that I've posted a few times about that I see is that we put our rookies in positions where they have to play significant roles in year #1 and they either sink or swim. KJ sank last year, and I'd argue he needs to sit and play nickel for a year to get back on track.

I agree with you, I think Allen was our best CB last year, but that's not saying much.

I just haven't given up on KJ yet, I think he was put in a bad situation and didn't have enough to be able to handle it.

You put him in a situation where he doesn't have to be "the guy" and hopefully he's able to learn the game instead of picking his cleats up off the field.

Jason Allen is not a #1 CB. We currently have a bunch of #3 CBs either because of their play level or their experience level. Of the 3 JAllen, Kjack, and Harris, I'd rather have JAllen play CB#2, because of his experiance.

This way he won't be asked to cover the top WR threat (in Miami) and hopefully we sign a safety and GQ works out so he won't have to struggle with no safety help (in Houston)

Jason Allen is out of position playing CB in the NFL the Texans just had very few viable options last season. When coming out of Tennessee Jason was rated pretty even with Michael Huff for the top FS available. So it would not surprise me with Wade if he did get some reps there to take a look.

Jason Allen is out of position playing CB in the NFL the Texans just had very few viable options last season. When coming out of Tennessee Jason was rated pretty even with Michael Huff for the top FS available. So it would not surprise me with Wade if he did get some reps there to take a look.

So, if he is better as a backup FS, who do you see playing opposite JJ, Jackson?

I'm sure they are serious about moving Quin to safety.

The other corner is going to be KJac, Allen, Harris, or another player yet to be signed, like Brandon Carr.

He did not do good for us. He played better than our piss poor secondary for a PORTION of a season.

Allen is not a good cornerback plain and simple.

You will see, as did Saban, Cameron, and the rest of the league.

did we watch the same games ? The J. Allen i saw this season was very consistent. All the film i have seen of him in Miami was very good. Go back and watch when he played against Randy Moss when Randy was tearing it up. The guy can play CB and he is more physical with WRs than any of our other CBs.

did we watch the same games ? The J. Allen i saw this season was very consistent. All the film i have seen of him in Miami was very good. Go back and watch when he played against Randy Moss when Randy was tearing it up. The guy can play CB and he is more physical with WRs than any of our other CBs.

I watched every single Miami Dolphins game for the last 5 years as I live in Florida.

Jason Allen is not good.

So, if he is better as a backup FS, who do you see playing opposite JJ, Jackson?

I'm suggesting this may take some of the pressure off signing a FA safety. That the Texans could now choose to lock up Leach & renegotiate other contracts to help the cap situation going forward to remain flexible.

In regards to your question I would like to wait & see how the competition turns out during camp in Wade Phillips system. I would not be opposed to using Kareem in nickle packages to get his swag back & leave Quin opposite Joseph if that's how they respond to coaching. Certain positions are set going into the season, JJ Watt & Antonio Smith DE, Mario OLB, Cushing & DeMeco ILB & now Joseph the hot corner. Rest all yet to be earned. :fingergun:

Back