Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt - MVP

Oh.... well, like I said, I got the news from my USA Today alerts and my HoustonTexans feed on my phone. Hell, it's been 45 minutes ago now. Sorry.

...but then, I'm the sort who reads the end of a novel first so I know how it turns out. Then, if I like the ending, I'll read the rest to see how they got there.
Yeah, I'm weird like that
:D

well don't ever mention a book you're thinking of reading, I'll tell you how it begins!

:pissed:

If you don't want to know then don't read the damn thread.

I guess you think I should stay off the board and that'll make the Texans win the SB?

:tinfoil:

Like the draft when people aren't expected to read twitter and announce earlier, I thought a simple "no spoilers please" could get people to hold their water

I was following the thread earlier. I realized I was behind the thread when my wife was givng me updates from social media.

Bullshitt Watt didn't get MVP.

I guess you think I should stay off the board and that'll make the Texans win the SB?

:tinfoil:

Like the draft when people aren't expected to read twitter and announce earlier, I thought a simple "no spoilers please" could get people to hold their water

There was already four posts announcing it before you said that.

I found it a little ............................uncool of Rogers to say nothing about - or - to his fellow MVP candidates.

He thanked the city, the fans, the teammates, wife for the discount double fu.....um....check (payment to her to come later).

I don't know. If I was in his position I would make it a point to acknowledge my fellow candidates. Especially since one of them was more worthy than he.

The NFL Awards are a complete farce.

Bull. $hit.

:swatter:

No real surprise.

Above average year>All universe season by a non quarterback

no spoilers please

There was already four posts announcing it before you said that.

3 and none telling results of voting at that point, though it was clear JJ didn't win.

It's the principle of the thing. Why try to watch anything? Draft? It won't be a surprise to any.

Willie McGinnist just voiced his displeasure with the MVP outcome in an interview on the NFL network. Pretty interesting, saying that JJ really deserved the honor.

3 and none telling results of voting at that point, though it was clear JJ didn't win.

It's the principle of the thing. Why try to watch anything? Draft? It won't be a surprise to any.

You can watch the draft just make sure you're not on twitter that night. :kitten:

As far as the spoiler thing goes, sucks. I've seen most of the Super Bowl commercials and we haven't even gotten there yet. If I go to see a movie that's been out for a day I know the move start-to-finish even if I try to avoid it.

Sucks.

In the words of Sheldon Cooper, don't even tell me I'll be blown away, because now my mind is pre-blown. :D

I would have happily not posted anything if I'd had any indication that the telecast they were showing was not live (heck NFL.com has "Watch the NFL Honors live on NBC and NFL Now" all over it). Sorry it wrecked your viewing experience - however I doubt anyone was posting stuff to piss you off (I sure as hell know I wasn't).

I posted after the NFL's official account had tweeted the winner - not watching the TV, I presumed it was common knowledge at that point.

I know the NFL changed things with the draft, as there were pick-spoilers all over the place - but there was no indication that the TV was almost an hour behind the actual ceremony.

Reactions: JB
As far as the spoiler thing goes, sucks. I've seen most of the Super Bowl commercials and we haven't even gotten there yet. If I go to see a movie that's been out for a day I know the move start-to-finish even if I try to avoid it.

Sucks.

In the words of Sheldon Cooper, don't even tell me I'll be blown away, because now my mind is pre-blown. :D

That's really the nature of the internet today. You basically have to avoid everything about a movie before watching it and that's difficult to do when you're trying to find one that's actually worth watching.

I would have happily not posted anything if I'd had any indication that the telecast they were showing was not live (heck NFL.com has "Watch the NFL Honors live on NBC and NFL Now" all over it). Sorry it wrecked your viewing experience - however I doubt anyone was posting stuff to piss you off (I sure as hell know I wasn't).

I posted after the NFL's official account had tweeted the winner - not watching the TV, I presumed it was common knowledge at that point.

I know the NFL changed things with the draft, as there were pick-spoilers all over the place - but there was no indication that the TV was almost an hour behind the actual ceremony.

I know, it was just real disappointing cuz I so looked forward to watching the show. And then to know an hour beforehand and even know the 13 out of 50 (which was never televised) just ruined the whole experience. Not your fault. I should just stay away from this board

Edit: Except on draft day... I'll fly to England and announce the picks 8 hours early...:kitten:

I know, it was just real disappointing cuz I so looked forward to watching the show. And then to know an hour beforehand and even know the 13 out of 50 (which was never televised) just ruined the whole experience. Not your fault. I should just stay away from this board

Edit: Except on draft day... I'll fly to England and announce the picks 8 hours early...:kitten:

Haha - yeah I know how you feel. The first time I found out that draft picks were being announced before they get televised annoyed me too (heck it was twice as bad when the TV stations themselves were pre-announcing the picks they were about to air!).

Lesson learned I guess - the NFL can and will screw up anything which is not a live football game (and even then they try at times!) :kitten:

I know it's just an award that's meaningless in comparison to a game and everything...

But, yeah, I'm pissed.
male17-male-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000059-large.gif

I'll get over it.

That's really the nature of the internet today. You basically have to avoid everything about a movie before watching it and that's difficult to do when you're trying to find one that's actually worth watching.

I certainly agree. Nature of the beast.

In this case, if I had a wish, it would have been the NFL kept it mouth shut and we all find out together. I would think it would be in their best interest to do so (ratings).

I certainly agree. Nature of the beast.

Yeah, but this is supposed to be our place. Our place outside of the insanity of reality, where we look out for each other and swap recipes and cookies and stuff

:truck:

Don't even know why I watched. Well, guaranteed no defensive player will ever win MVP again. If someone does it will be a travesty to JJ.

I know it's just an award that's meaningless in comparison to a game and everything...

But, yeah, I'm pissed.
male17-male-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000059-large.gif

I'll get over it.

If I knew how to get a message to AP Sportswriters Union Cafe, I'd talk the head chef into making "magic" brownies out of ex-lax for them fools

Yeah, but this is supposed to be our place. Our place outside of the insanity of reality, where we look out for each other and swap recipes and cookies and stuff

:truck:

Hey Jb. I added on my post after you quoted, ooops. :). I hear you brother and can understand your thoughts. Times have changed on us...lol.

Reactions: JB

But, yeah, I'm pissed.

I'll get over it.

The selfish side of my thinks that this snub might just help JJ come back with even more heart and passion next year (as if that is barely possible anyway).

I don't guess any of us really really expected JJ to win...

But dammit! He DESERVED it more than any other. Plenty QB's have done what he has, could have lead his team just as well and got them as far or farther. Rodgers is a great QB and if he continues as he has, he'll be a HOF'er for sure.

But no one ever has done what JJ did this year. Never!

Grrrr!

I don't guess any of us really really expected JJ to win...

But dammit! He DESERVED it more than any other. Plenty QB's have done what he has, could have lead his team just as well and got them as far or farther. Rodgers is a great QB and if he continues as he has, he'll be a HOF'er for sure.

But no one ever has done what JJ did this year. Never!

Grrrr!

It is a stupid award anyway. "Most Valuable Player" - it's so fricking vague, and leaves room for stupid "he didn't make the playoffs, so he can't be that valuable" arguments.

Just call it what it should be (and what most people treat it as) - Player of the Year.

It is a stupid award anyway. "Most Valuable Player" - it's so fricking vague, and leaves room for stupid "he didn't make the playoffs, so he can't be that valuable" arguments.

Just call it what it should be (and what most people treat it as) - Player of the Year.

No, it's the valuable word that has screwed it all up. Sportswriters think only a QB can be "most valuable" to his team and it has their thinking all wacked.

If it was still Player of the Year, JJ would have won easily. I have no doubt as to that.

I hope there is enough fallout that the NFL and the morons the voted for MVP will re-think what the trophy really stands for. I mean, whatever shred of what the MVP stands for went out with tonight's results.

JJ Watt - 1st EVER unanimous DPOY, but was creamed on a Mondale scale for MVP. /end conversation.

I honestly don't say this in anger, but I say it as what I think will be my observation until whatever fallout bears fruit.

Football writers are the worst. Bobby Wagner got an MVP vote. That means some idiot writer put Watt as DPOY and Wagner as MVP. How retarded.

Football writers are the worst. Bobby Wagner got an MVP vote. That means some idiot writer put Watt as DPOY and Wagner as MVP. How retarded.

The most amazing part is Rodgers isn't even considered the OPOY. He's MVP but not the best offensive player in the game.

You know, so much of the time we're
lost. We say, 'Please, God... tell us
what is right. Tell us what's true.
There is no justice. The rich win,
the poor are powerless...'

We become tired of hearing people lie.
And after a time we become dead. A little dead.
We start thinking of ourselves as victims...

And we become victims.

We become weak... we doubt
ourselves, we doubt our beliefs
... we doubt our institutions
... and we doubt the law.

But today you are the law. You are
the law... Not some book, not
the lawyers. Not the marble statue
or the trappings of the court...
You see, those are just the symbols

of our desire to be just...

They are, in fact, a prayer...
...a fervent, and a frightened prayer.

In my religion we say, 'Act as if
ye had faith, and faith will be
given to you.'

If... If we are to have faith in
justice, we need only to believe
in ourselves.

And act with justice.

As I believe that there is justice
in our hearts
.​

JJWattMVP :fostering:

The most amazing part is Rodgers isn't even considered the OPOY. He's MVP but not the best offensive player in the game.

That is what my previous post was getting at. The offensive award is for "Offensive Player of the Year" - not "Offensive MVP".

Obviously these people voting from the AP are trying to be cute with their definition of what "Valuable" means - which is the only way to explain the difference in voting between the two awards. We could really do with an explanation of why they voted for each player for MVP, as they are clearly using a measuring stick other than who was the best player - and it just confuses the fans.

who's bobby wagner?
no, seriously.... who is he?

Different strokes - I love the movies I've seen before even more than the first time I saw them. I must have seen Groundhog Day a hundred times by now and White Christmas even more. They sure beat the manure coming out of Hollywood these days. What used to be edgy is just plain boring now.

Haha - yeah I know how you feel. The first time I found out that draft picks were being announced before they get televised annoyed me too (heck it was twice as bad when the TV stations themselves were pre-announcing the picks they were about to air!).

Lesson learned I guess - the NFL can and will screw up anything which is not a live football game (and even then they try at times!) :kitten:
~I guess lying is no big deal when the networks say LIVE. They all do it and that makes it OK.~

What I want to know is how much research the voters did. Off the top of my head is PFF, Mike Mayock and Heath Evans ... all have the claim that they watched every snap. And their support was overwhelmingly in Watt's favor. Can the same be said of the other voters? I'm genuinely curious. Was the work put in to make this selection or did fond memory and bias regarding stipulations dictate the choices?

These are the 50 people who create history by choosing a single player above all others in a sport watched by hundreds of millions. Surely they did their complete diligence ... right?

What I want to know is how much research the voters did. Off the top of my head is PFF, Mike Mayock and Heath Evans ... all have the claim that they watched every snap. And their support was overwhelmingly in Watt's favor. Can the same be said of the other voters? I'm genuinely curious. Was the work put in to make this selection or did fond memory and bias regarding stipulations dictate the choices?

These are the 50 people who create history by choosing a single player above all others in a sport watched by hundreds of millions. Surely they did their complete diligence ... right?

At one time I thought the NFL voters were more intelligent and interested than the BBWA who vote on the Baseball awards.

I WAS WRONG!

Got news for ya. The NFL f'ing lied.

The NFL Awards are a complete farce.

If you mean by "farce" that the press - many of whom barely played a day of football (if that) - has that much sway in writing sports history? Yes, I would consider that farcical.

But it's been that way for a long, long time, Rosebud.

As for the awards show, itself: I think they are making it better. Segments like who passed away in the NFL last year, the Walter Payton award, and a few other little gems are cool, yet one gets the feeling they're still feeling their way around, trying to find the right formula (which they might not ever do).

For right now it cops too much of the Oscars. Sure, sports is entertainment; still, for the most part these NFL dudes look out of their element at a function like this.

JJ got robbed!! Bobby Wagner MVP? Lol, Tony Dungy has continually embarrassed himself since retiring. Dude has issues.

Back