Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt Appreciation

badboy

Hall of Fame
I took this comment much differently then what a lot of posters are saying here. I didn't interpret his comments as he wants out of Houston, but more of a statement that the Texans are not rebuilding, in a pumping sunshine public speak kind of way (we have the talent, we are just re-tooling). That's what I thought he meant, could be wrong. And then he came out and said he wanted to finish his career in Houston.

I think JJ will end up restructuring his contract to help out with cap issues. He's a team player like that. I really do hope he finishes his career in Houston.

Side note: I think he still has some gas left in the tank, peeps keep telling me he is/was done but I don't think so, not quite yet.

JMO
How does taking money up front make him a team player? I don't know of any restructuring by any Star level football player that did not put more money immediately into his bank account. Certainly it lowers the salary cap benefiting the team but it's always a benefit to the player.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He has been playing better - but gets criticized because he isn't "JJ WATT!" any longer. He is still talented, not quite as physically able any longer. He is now a guy that can get 8-12 sacks a year if he isn't THE defense, would need there to be another, potentially bigger threat (at least) on the line where Watt isn't the focus, who else for the Texans scares you on the opposing offense?

I know, I know, you're thinking but they aren't doubling Watt - well they don't always have to, the guy gets held like crazy but because he is Watt the officials don't call it, and doubling a guy isn't all you can do - quick passes (all too easy against our soft coverage - I like to call it the bend then break defense), have the QB roll slightly to the opposite side, run away from him etc. etc. etc.

Watt would be having a better year, this year, with DJ Reader on the team - obviously my opinion and no way I could prove it - but who can disagree that our line is Watt and a bunch of guys you say "who?" about when they say their name?
I base my evaluation of JJ Watt on just watching him against the players he goes against. He continues to have problems reaching to his left and is easily pushed or directed wide past QB. He is better compared to his last season eight games but really behind on QB hits. Yes some is due to his coworkers, some on the shoulders of #99.

I think he is more valuable than any trade compensate but no indication he will earn his 2020 salary.

And yes the holds against him are very frustrating but do not necessarily indicate a sack or even a QB hit.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How does taking money up front make him a team player? I don't know of any restructuring by any Star level football player that did not put more money immediately into his bank account. Certainly it lowers the salary cap benefiting the team but it's always a benefit to the player.
& that’s how Roethlisberger, Brady, & Manning avoid the dreaded 13% rule & win Super Bowls.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I thought there were ways to re-structure a deal for a player to make their salary more cap friendly? Not add on more costs, JJ even said there's no way he would ask for more money.

Didn't Andre Johnson re-structure his deal a couple of times to be more cap friendly?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I thought there were ways to re-structure a deal for a player to make their salary more cap friendly? Not add on more costs, JJ even said there's no way he would ask for more money.

Didn't Andre Johnson re-structure his deal a couple of times to be more cap friendly?
Watt salary 17.5 for this season and 18.5 next. Example: Sept 1st 2020 team goes to JJ "you get $36 m in two season but none is GTD. We will give you 36 today and give you two more years on contract at 15 each non GTD." JJ says "heck(because mama Watt listening) yeah. I just turned 36 non GTD m into GTD in my bank now."
Please note that often though guaranteed the money is given to player in payments which tremendously benefits team owner.

This 36 now bonus $ is prorated over the 4 years of 'new' deal. Watt's cap dropped from 17.5 to 9 this season and from 18.5 to 9 2021. 2022 and 2023 $15 million non GTD + $9 prorated also known as dead money; each of these two added years cap cost $24 m each. Any unpaid non GTD will not count on the cap. Traded Player is similar but does have different rules.
This would be example of Watt being team player. Yes Andre Johnson was a team player.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
and 2023 $15 million non GTD + $9 prorated also known as dead money; each of these two added years cap cost $24 m each.
Non guaranteed money does not count as dead money. If the player is cut, the remaining bonus money must be accounted for. $9M for the remaining two years, $18M dead money.

if he plays though that would be $15M + $9M or like you said, $24M.

We save $6M if we cut him.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Generally they get "more money" over more years and cash up front.

For Watt , next years salary is $17.5m .... a restructure might look like 3y/36m with him getting 12m per saving 5.5m off the cap this year and the $17.5m being given immediately as a signing bonus and the team owing him a little over 6m per over each of the next 3y but the cap hit would be 12m.

The downside to this would be dead money , you'd have a hard time cutting or trading him with so much dead money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Non guaranteed money does not count as dead money. If the player is cut, the remaining bonus money must be accounted for. $9M for the remaining two years, $18M dead money.

And nowhere did I say non guaranteed counted as dead money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Generally they get "more money" over more years and cash up front.

For Watt , next years salary is $17.5m .... a restructure might look like 3y/36m with him getting 12m per saving 5.5m off the cap this year and the $17.5m being given immediately as a signing bonus and the team owing him a little over 6m per over each of the next 3y but the cap hit would be 12m.

The downside to this would be dead money , you'd have a hard time cutting or trading him with so much dead money.
personally I would not do that type of an extension; as you said too much dead money.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

This week, Athletic Brewing, a Connecticut-based nonalcoholic beer maker, announced Watt as one of the investors for the growing company in its third year. The brewery also announced former NFL All-Pro Justin Tuck and disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong as investors.

Watt is as good as traded once Easterby see's this. :kitten:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Goodbye Watt.
Truly the greatest Texan in franchise history.
Time to chase a ring elsewhere, and time for a blank canvas in Houston.

It is time for a complete overhaul, and that includes the unhappy Watson.

Agree sadly with Watt, but 100% disagree about Watson.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
His batted down passes at the line and intercepted and ran in for TDs are gold. Pure gold.
The way he beat double teams consistently in his younger day was a joy to behold as well.
Its nice the Texans respected his wishes like that but it would have been nice to pick up a draft pick too.
Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

LikeMike

Veteran
Probably the best and most important player who have ever put on a Texans jersey. He will be missed on and off the field. I hope he gets that Super Bowl and it would be extra sweet, if he could get it with his brothers. Nothing but respect for JJ.

Releasing him might have been the decent thing to do - but it still hurts that we lose JJ without getting anything in return.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't believe we couldn't get something for him. I did think the handwriting was on the wall that he would no longer be with us
Speculation.......

Maybe the Texans had a few deals they were ready to pull the trigger on. They presented them to JJ & he didn't care for the destination/terms. They decide against trading him & letting him do his own thing.

/speculation...

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Speculation.......

Maybe the Texans had a few deals they were ready to pull the trigger on. They presented them to JJ & he didn't care for the destination/terms. They decide against trading him & letting him do his own thing.

/speculation...
I have the same speculation. I'd much rather they just release him, rather than trade him to a team like the Giants for a 3rd round pick. (I'm suspecting JJ would not appreciate having to play for the Giants)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Speculation.......

/speculation...
So this disrespectful noncaring football organization respected JJ and let him leave? I think your speculation is Correct. $17.5 is my focus.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'll never forget the NOISE in the stadium when he ran that INT back for a TD in that first playoff game. Just incredible.

His Mic'ed Up stuff on NFL Films are great.
JJ Watt to Ray Rice - "I've eaten burritos bigger than you!"
I took my son to that playoff game, and he still remembers the feel of the ground shaking from the crowd noise. What an absolutely amazing experience.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Remember when you could go watch the Texans practice? Here were my thoughts the first couple of times I saw JJ in person.

I should have said, "Surefire HOFer". Another fail by me.

More notes from things I saw this morning (Sunday 8/7) in practice:

Watt is blowing up people on occasion. An explosive athlete who can overmatch the Texans o-line at times.
Some notes on individual players from this morning's (8/13) practice.

JJ Watt - Seems just a little quicker, stronger, and more energetic than anyone else on either side of the line. Coming from Wisconsin, you would think he would have to adjust to the searing heat. Not so. Regarding rookies, we've heard the term "pro ready" tossed around here before. Looks like Watt really does fit that description.

I can't believe we couldn't get something for him.
We got a lot from him. That makes it OK.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have the same speculation. I'd much rather they just release him, rather than trade him to a team like the Giants for a 3rd round pick. (I'm suspecting JJ would not appreciate having to play for the Giants)
Why? Are you saying the Texans couldn't use that 3rd rd pick? I love Watt just as much as the next guy, but give me the pick. Ireally dont care where Watt goes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why? Are you saying the Texans couldn't use that 3rd rd pick? I love Watt just as much as the next guy, but give me the pick. Ireally dont care where Watt goes.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
They could never have gotten a 3rd for Watt at this point. I’m guessing high 4th at best and that’s if they find a sucker team wanting to add a big name only.

Cut him, save the 17 million cap hit, part on good terms so that when he does retire you bring him back on a 1 year deal so he retires a Texan and spare yourself the PR backlash of screwing over the biggest sports icon in Houston. That’s worth more than a 4th.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They could never have gotten a 3rd for Watt at this point. I’m guessing high 4th at best and that’s if they find a sucker team wanting to add a big name only.

Cut him, save the 17 million cap hit, part on good terms so that when he does retire you bring him back on a 1 year deal so he retires a Texan and spare yourself the PR backlash of screwing over the biggest sports icon in Houston. That’s worth more than a 4th.
Ok give me the 4th and I will use it with my 3rd to move up into the 2nd and still have two more 4ths left over to move around even more in the draft. Should've done the same thing with WFV.

That's the Patriot way, trade them a yr early to maximize value. The only guy they didn't do that with was Brady and Belichick wanted to do it and Kraf wouldn't let him. Now look where the Pats are at the QB position. But in Kraft's defense the Pats did get another SB out of he decision. So I think the trade off was definitely worth it.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Ok give me the 4th and I will use it with my 3rd to move up into the 2nd and still have two more 4ths left over to move around even more in the draft. Should've done the same thing with WFV.

That's the Patriot way.
That’s assuming your team trading to doesn’t make you pay part of Watts contract in which case cutting is still better for the savings. I haven’t looked at this draft much but I doubt there are to many in the 2nd that won’t still be there in the 3rd and even if there is with the rebuild state of the team you don’t yet have any perfect fit players so you can make that 3rd work.

Agree on Fuller trade him for whatever you can get and if it’s a 3rd or better say done, hang up the phone and on another phone have someone being calling it into the league before the other team realizes what they’ve done.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s assuming your team trading to doesn’t make you pay part of Watts contract in which case cutting is still better for the savings. I haven’t looked at this draft much but I doubt there are to many in the 2nd that won’t still be there in the 3rd and even if there is with the rebuild state of the team you don’t yet have any perfect fit players so you can make that 3rd work.

Agree on Fuller trade him for whatever you can get and if it’s a 3rd or better say done, hang up the phone and on another phone have someone being calling it into the league before the other team realizes what they’ve done.
You're basically paying say 5-7 mil to move up a round in the draft. I have no problem with eating money to get badly needed draft picks. Even if they got say two 4ths for Watt?WFV that would've given you four 4ths even if you had to eat 10-12 mil in eating those contracts it would be worth it in my mind. Because this team badly needs draft capital and could be offset by simply cutting Cooks.

They didn't cut Watt because they were afraid of the backlash and that's no way to run a winning org. Ask yourself what would BB do?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I've never been to the. Pro Football Hall of Fame. Never thought about going. I have a feeling I'll be heading to Canton for the 2028 induction ceremony. JJ gave a fan all one could ever ask for, and more. I'm proud to be a JJ Watt fan.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I've never seen a defensive player individually become an absolute wrecking ball to offenses. Maybe Reggie White could do it, maybe Lawrence Taylor or Aaron Donald, but Watt was doing it consistently every Sunday while breaking records and making plays at the 3-4 DE position that had never been done before. He would have more pass deflections than most starting DB's while competing for league leader in sacks. You knew you were watching history while watching Watt at his peak.

After his body started wearing down and his performance declined, it was briefly fashionable among those who had not watched Watt every week to claim he was always overrated. I would mention the facts above to silence them. I suppose his impact in the league seemed unbelievable to those who didn't witness it firsthand.

Last edited:

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I've never seen a defensive player individually become an absolutely wrecking ball to offenses. Maybe Reggie White could do it, maybe Lawrence Taylor or Aaron Donald, but Watt was doing it consistently every Sunday while breaking records and making plays at the 3-4 DE position that had never been done before. He would have more pass deflections than most starting DB's while competing for league leader in sacks. You knew you were watching history while watching Watt at his peak.

After his body started wearing down and his performance declined, it was briefly fashionable among those who had not watched Watt every week to claim he was always overrated. I would mention the facts above to silence them. I suppose his impact in the league seemed unbelievable to those who didn't witness it firsthand.
Agreed. He was an absolutely joy to watch. He could take over a game, put the team on his back and get the W in his prime. Definitely headed to the HOF, should be a first ballot selection in my eyes.