Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

JJ Watt Appreciation

badboy

Hall of Fame
I took this comment much differently then what a lot of posters are saying here. I didn't interpret his comments as he wants out of Houston, but more of a statement that the Texans are not rebuilding, in a pumping sunshine public speak kind of way (we have the talent, we are just re-tooling). That's what I thought he meant, could be wrong. And then he came out and said he wanted to finish his career in Houston.

I think JJ will end up restructuring his contract to help out with cap issues. He's a team player like that. I really do hope he finishes his career in Houston.

Side note: I think he still has some gas left in the tank, peeps keep telling me he is/was done but I don't think so, not quite yet.

JMO
How does taking money up front make him a team player? I don't know of any restructuring by any Star level football player that did not put more money immediately into his bank account. Certainly it lowers the salary cap benefiting the team but it's always a benefit to the player.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He has been playing better - but gets criticized because he isn't "JJ WATT!" any longer. He is still talented, not quite as physically able any longer. He is now a guy that can get 8-12 sacks a year if he isn't THE defense, would need there to be another, potentially bigger threat (at least) on the line where Watt isn't the focus, who else for the Texans scares you on the opposing offense?

I know, I know, you're thinking but they aren't doubling Watt - well they don't always have to, the guy gets held like crazy but because he is Watt the officials don't call it, and doubling a guy isn't all you can do - quick passes (all too easy against our soft coverage - I like to call it the bend then break defense), have the QB roll slightly to the opposite side, run away from him etc. etc. etc.

Watt would be having a better year, this year, with DJ Reader on the team - obviously my opinion and no way I could prove it - but who can disagree that our line is Watt and a bunch of guys you say "who?" about when they say their name?
I base my evaluation of JJ Watt on just watching him against the players he goes against. He continues to have problems reaching to his left and is easily pushed or directed wide past QB. He is better compared to his last season eight games but really behind on QB hits. Yes some is due to his coworkers, some on the shoulders of #99.

I think he is more valuable than any trade compensate but no indication he will earn his 2020 salary.

And yes the holds against him are very frustrating but do not necessarily indicate a sack or even a QB hit.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How does taking money up front make him a team player? I don't know of any restructuring by any Star level football player that did not put more money immediately into his bank account. Certainly it lowers the salary cap benefiting the team but it's always a benefit to the player.
& that’s how Roethlisberger, Brady, & Manning avoid the dreaded 13% rule & win Super Bowls.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I thought there were ways to re-structure a deal for a player to make their salary more cap friendly? Not add on more costs, JJ even said there's no way he would ask for more money.

Didn't Andre Johnson re-structure his deal a couple of times to be more cap friendly?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I thought there were ways to re-structure a deal for a player to make their salary more cap friendly? Not add on more costs, JJ even said there's no way he would ask for more money.

Didn't Andre Johnson re-structure his deal a couple of times to be more cap friendly?
Watt salary 17.5 for this season and 18.5 next. Example: Sept 1st 2020 team goes to JJ "you get $36 m in two season but none is GTD. We will give you 36 today and give you two more years on contract at 15 each non GTD." JJ says "heck(because mama Watt listening) yeah. I just turned 36 non GTD m into GTD in my bank now."
Please note that often though guaranteed the money is given to player in payments which tremendously benefits team owner.

This 36 now bonus $ is prorated over the 4 years of 'new' deal. Watt's cap dropped from 17.5 to 9 this season and from 18.5 to 9 2021. 2022 and 2023 $15 million non GTD + $9 prorated also known as dead money; each of these two added years cap cost $24 m each. Any unpaid non GTD will not count on the cap. Traded Player is similar but does have different rules.
This would be example of Watt being team player. Yes Andre Johnson was a team player.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
and 2023 $15 million non GTD + $9 prorated also known as dead money; each of these two added years cap cost $24 m each.
Non guaranteed money does not count as dead money. If the player is cut, the remaining bonus money must be accounted for. $9M for the remaining two years, $18M dead money.

if he plays though that would be $15M + $9M or like you said, $24M.

We save $6M if we cut him.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Generally they get "more money" over more years and cash up front.

For Watt , next years salary is $17.5m .... a restructure might look like 3y/36m with him getting 12m per saving 5.5m off the cap this year and the $17.5m being given immediately as a signing bonus and the team owing him a little over 6m per over each of the next 3y but the cap hit would be 12m.

The downside to this would be dead money , you'd have a hard time cutting or trading him with so much dead money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Non guaranteed money does not count as dead money. If the player is cut, the remaining bonus money must be accounted for. $9M for the remaining two years, $18M dead money.

And nowhere did I say non guaranteed counted as dead money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Generally they get "more money" over more years and cash up front.

For Watt , next years salary is $17.5m .... a restructure might look like 3y/36m with him getting 12m per saving 5.5m off the cap this year and the $17.5m being given immediately as a signing bonus and the team owing him a little over 6m per over each of the next 3y but the cap hit would be 12m.

The downside to this would be dead money , you'd have a hard time cutting or trading him with so much dead money.
personally I would not do that type of an extension; as you said too much dead money.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

This week, Athletic Brewing, a Connecticut-based nonalcoholic beer maker, announced Watt as one of the investors for the growing company in its third year. The brewery also announced former NFL All-Pro Justin Tuck and disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong as investors.

Watt is as good as traded once Easterby see's this. :kitten:

amazing80

Fire Easterby