Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt Appreciation

Texansballer74

The Marine
Because, after 10 years of staying above the noise he decides to go to this guy's funeral, start talking about taking knees and going after fans with "its not about the flag!" ****. Don't know who you're referring to by "they" as if I belong to any discernable group of people in your mind. Pretty sure I've made that clear over the years.

So yeah, he is. Perhaps to "back his teammates," perhaps to look empathetic for his image considering his previous "ties" to pro military, pro police things, perhaps preemptively because he knew the mob would come after him for "Being silent! You're complicit!" perhaps to set himself up to be accepted in his post-playing career, who the hell really knows why.

He can do whatever he wants. But it's kowtowing. And he better know that he's taking a major risk pissing off the people who have backed him so wholeheartedly for such good reason over his career, because everyone knows the people he's bending to will throw him away whenever he's no longer convenient, just like they do for everyone else.

But whatever. His life and career I guess.

Also, motherfuck California.
Dang we’re being a little bit too much on this particular topic. He went after one fan not fans. Bump the fact that that one fan not fans went after him first.

You over thinking things bud. I highly doubt he’s kowtowing lol but if you say so. Why don’t you go after him on Twitter and tell him to stop kowtowing. Just might make you feel better.

Last edited:

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Dang we’re being a little bit too much on this particular topic. He went after one fan not fans. Bump the fact that that one fan not fans went after him first.

You over thinking things bud. I highly doubt he’s kowtowing lol but if you say so. Why don’t you go after him on Twitter and tell him to stop kowtowing. Just might make you feel better.
I'm good. Don't need to chase anyone over Twitter. People are free to do what they'd like.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Then take a knee when introducing players, walk out of the tunnel with blindfolds, take a knee during the coin toss.

Stand to allegiance, as one nation during the national anthem.
I'll do you another, most fans turn to sports as an escape from all of the day to day BS during the week. If you want to protest, march in a BLM protest march. There are a lot of different and better ways to make your voice heard.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
How about this novel idea .. how about the NFL and the rest of the sports leagues STOP politicizing and spreading nationalist vibes before the game?? It wasnt done prior to 2009 and the military forces incentivizing the feat for the league. Its all so grandiose for nothing and I bet many didnt even know that the big issue stems from capitalism and not patriotism.

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/116/34/16793/F1.medium.gif

The National Football League's new policy requiring all team and league personnel to "stand and show respect for the flag" during the traditional pre-game playing of the national anthem is being painted by its backers as a show of patriotism. But the league's history with the national anthem illustrates another cherished American value: capitalism.

As ESPN's Stephen A. Smith and others have pointed out, NFL players have only been on the field for the anthem on a regular basis since 2009. At the time, sports leagues were paid millions of dollars by the U.S. Department of Defense to honor members of the military during the playing of "The Star-Spangled banner" without informing the public that they were watching a paid promotion.

A report released in 2015 by Arizona Republican Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake found that the Pentagon spent $6.8 million on sports marketing contracts with the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer on what the senators dubbed "paid patriotism." The practice was subsequently banned by the Pentagon.

"Since the Army National Guard marketing policy with sporting event packages was clarified and corrected, please understand [that] National Guard soldiers on the field before, durin, or after sporting events are completely separate from the marketing initiatives," Kurt M. Rauschenberg, a spokesman for the National Guard Bureau, wrote in an email to CBS MoneyWatch. "Generally, these are considered community relations programs involving the team reaching out to the local National Guard asking for them to conduct honor guard, flag unfurling, or fly-overs. Those are of no extra cost to the government and very normal."

The national anthem protests began in 2016 after San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" to protest racism and police brutality. Soon, other players followed Kaepernick's lead, creating a public relations headache for the NFL, which is by far the most popular and profitable U.S. professional sports league. Conservatives including President Donald Trump said they were outraged by the protests.

The drama over the national anthem is far from over. A co-owner of the New York Jets has promised to cover any fines of players violating the league's policy

Meanwhile, Kaepernick remains unemployed. Earlier this year, he filed a grievance against the league, accusing owners of colluding against him to prevent him from being signed to another team. The NFL has denied any wrongdoing. Critics of the NFL player protests have argued they were responsible for a decline in NFL ratings this season though the league has a host of problems that are also depressing viewership.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Real shame he didn't make these feelings known before the trade deadline.
What’s his point here? That he wants out? Wants traded? Is he claiming this team can still be in win-now mode? (I don’t believe it can, wonder if his evaluation is clouded by being on the team).
He’d be wearing different colours now if he’d asked to be traded a few days ago, so why start saying this now?

Makes no sense to me, and the look on his face tells me he’s doing nothing to raise this team up around him currently, he’s down in the dumps and young players will be looking at him thinking if he’s done then we all are.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
What’s his point here? That he wants out? Wants traded? Is he claiming this team can still be in win-now mode? (I don’t believe it can, wonder if his evaluation is clouded by being on the team).
He’d be wearing different colours now if he’d asked to be traded a few days ago, so why start saying this now?

Makes no sense to me, and the look on his face tells me he’s doing nothing to raise this team up around him currently, he’s down in the dumps and young players will be looking at him thinking if he’s done then we all are.
I don't think the decision to retool around a core group of guys or rebuild entirely is going to be made concrete until the new GM arrives.. and there's still time to trade between that person's hiring and the '21 draft..

Seems, imo, JJ is letting it be known to Cal and already to whomever will be in charge of that whole process that he has no intention of being a part of a full on rebuild.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

A contract like Watt's is not easily dealt. O'Brien had to eat a nice chunk of Clowney's franchise tag to move him to Seattle. And Watt can't just snap his fingers and make a deal happen. Apparently, the Texans price tags on trades were too steep for any team.

Have you ever seen Watt dog it? Give less than 100%? His effort on the field is the example to the young players. They're playing with a HOFer. They should follow JJ around like a shadow and take notes.

The next regime will look at the roster and determine if JJ can be a part of what they're trying to build. What I think he wants to see is this team competing for the rest of the season and giving the new guys reasons to think they can win. Is that realistic? It's all a competitor like Watt knows.

PapaL

Loose Screw
What’s JJ worth at this point?

He’ll have the 6th highest cap hit for DEs next season. Maybe to us he’s worth that but I don’t know the rest of the league would feel that way about a 32 yo oft injured HoFer.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What’s JJ worth at this point?

He’ll have the 6th highest cap hit for DEs next season. Maybe to us he’s worth that but I don’t know the rest of the league would feel that way about a 32 yo oft injured HoFer.
Yep, they are going to have to eat the Watt/Mercilus/Cunningham contracts for the next couple of yrs. They still need to play the young guys.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep, they are going to have to eat the Watt/Mercilus/Cunningham contracts for the next couple of yrs. They still need to play the young guys.
Yikes. Add to that no first round talent under rookie contracts for awhile and massive QB/LT contracts, and I just don't see these owners hiring the MANY qualified men that would be needed to scout, draft, coach, and cap manage this franchise out of its self-imposed hole.

You are predicting a lost decade. . .and honestly, I'm predicting NEVER as long as a McNair owns this franchise. They are too incompetent to field a championship-caliber team.

But, on the bright side, they will continue to grade high on the NRG GameDay Experience® as polled by J.D. Powers & Associates, so we've got that to look forward to. And there will be plenty of merchandise to purchase, as well! Don't forget to take your 3D souvenir soda cup home as a really neat memento of your good time (I've got a stack of them at home to remind me of all my good times).

:spin:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yikes. Add to that no first round talent under rookie contracts for awhile and massive QB/LT contracts, and I just don't see these owners hiring the MANY qualified men that would be needed to scout, draft, coach, and cap manage this franchise out of its self-imposed hole.

You are predicting a lost decade. . .and honestly, I'm predicting NEVER as long as a McNair owns this franchise. They are too incompetent to field a championship-caliber team.

But, on the bright side, they will continue to grade high on the NRG GameDay Experience® as polled by J.D. Powers & Associates, so we've got that to look forward to. And there will be plenty of merchandise to purchase, as well! Don't forget to take your 3D souvenir soda cup home as a really neat memento of your good time (I've got a stack of them at home to remind me of all my good times).

:spin:
Yep, and I have been saying this since 2010. Posters thought I was crazy.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I remember in 2013 this team went 2-14 & people were saying alot of the same things they're saying now...bad contracts (Schaub), deficits in talent in certain areas were responsible for holding this team back. It was gonna take all kinds of major changes to right the ship. Then BoB came in & we improved to 9-7 immediately...& it was done with almost no help from our draft picks that year. I say all that to say that this team isn't as far off as people think. a few well placed FA pick ups and decent pick ups in the middle rounds of the draft next year...a few guys continue to develop, this team can be competitive starting next year...8-8, 9-7.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After 2013, this franchise had first round talent on rookie contracts, had JJ Watt in his prime, AJ / Nuk / D.Brown / A.Foster still on the roster, and they had all their draft picks for the 2014 draft. They still had a GM, Chris Olsen, & Bob McNair, among others in the front office.

It is completely different when compared to a year where Lil' Enis is running the team with two of the three stooges, cap hell, and a roster void of talent except for a couple of positions, massive contracts for mediocre talent, and no valuable draft picks. And never forget that Lil' Enis was the one making the utterly boneheaded decision to make Bill O'Brien the GM.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Watt doesn't have anymore G money left in his contract. They can reduce JJ number and extend him or let his contract play out. Based on his play, he's a 7-10m per yr player. Now I think Whitney is done and Zach needs better coaching. It is vital to get a talent evaluator in the building. You know as well as I do that the draft is chocked full of 1st rd talent in the 3rd and 4th rd. They may have issues, but they're there.

1d4

Waterboy
His timing is terrible the trade deadline past why say this publically he hurt his modest trade value this off-season he still our only remotely competent defender on a bad day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watt doesn't have anymore G money left in his contract. They can reduce JJ number and extend him or let his contract play out. Based on his play, he's a 7-10m per yr player. Now I think Whitney is done and Zach needs better coaching. It is vital to get a talent evaluator in the building. You know as well as I do that the draft is chocked full of 1st rd talent in the 3rd and 4th rd. They may have issues, but they're there.
I would try to trade Watt this offseason, if not I would let him walk. They're stuck with Whitney next season. I don't know if what's wrong with Cunningham can be coached out of him.

Lack of a top tier talent evaluator has been the Texans orgs main issue since their inception. IMHO

You're right, there's plenty of 1st rd talent in the 3rd rd. The Texans org just need to do some things that they haven't done before, like take some chances on some guys (1 or 2) that are talented but may have a checkered past. (I believe in 2nd chances in life.) This is what the Chiefs have done to build their championship roster and the Texans need to follow suit if they want to have a SB contender down on Kirby. DW4's issues not with standing.

If there were 3 guys I considered 1st rd talent there in the 3rd/4th rd. I would draft a guy in the 3rd then trade my high 4th and a 6th plus a 2022 pick to move back into the 3rd. Then trade the 5th and extra 6th to move back into the 4th.

Then you would have

Two 3rds
One 4th
One 7th.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I would try to trade Watt this offseason, if not I would let him walk. They're stuck with Whitney next season. I don't know if what's wrong with Cunningham can be coached out of him.

Lack of a top tier talent evaluator has been the Texans orgs main issue since their inception. IMHO

You're right, there's plenty of 1st rd talent in the 3rd rd. The Texans org just need to do some things that they haven't done before, like take some chances on some guys (1 or 2) that are talented but may have a checkered past. (I believe in 2nd chances in life.) This is what the Chiefs have done to build their championship roster and the Texans need to follow suit if they want to have a SB contender down on Kirby. DW4's issues not with standing.

If there were 3 guys I considered 1st rd talent there in the 3rd/4th rd. I would draft a guy in the 3rd then trade my high 4th and a 6th plus a 2022 pick to move back into the 3rd. Then trade the 5th and extra 6th to move back into the 4th.

Then you would have

Two 3rds
One 4th
One 7th.

Man Cunningham ... I don't know what to say about that guy. I was so high on him coming out of the draft , he was my favorite defensive player in that draft because he had what looked like coverage ability out of the MLB spot and sideline to sideline speed .... but he's been overwhelmingly disappointing the past two seasons particularly in tackling - He's the poster child for how not to tackle a dude .... I don't know if you can fix that with coaching at this point - we learned how to tackle in junior high , no matter how bad coaching is , at this level you expect good tackling technique.
Maybe you play him as an OLB and let him rush the passer at that cost .... maybe you get more value since you are essentially stuck with that dude.

As for Watt .... his cap hit to production means he has to go. Get all you can for him and try to fix the back end , hope you can get a bargain in free agency - few teams will have much cap space to throw around to mid tier players , take advantage of that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Man Cunningham ... I don't know what to say about that guy. I was so high on him coming out of the draft , he was my favorite defensive player in that draft because he had what looked like coverage ability out of the MLB spot and sideline to sideline speed .... but he's been overwhelmingly disappointing the past two seasons particularly in tackling - He's the poster child for how not to tackle a dude .... I don't know if you can fix that with coaching at this point - we learned how to tackle in junior high , no matter how bad coaching is , at this level you expect good tackling technique.
Maybe you play him as an OLB and let him rush the passer at that cost .... maybe you get more value since you are essentially stuck with that dude.

As for Watt .... his cap hit to production means he has to go. Get all you can for him and try to fix the back end , hope you can get a bargain in free agency - few teams will have much cap space to throw around to mid tier players , take advantage of that.
Agreed, the Cunningham pick instead of LT Dawkins is what eventually lead to the Tunsil trade.

Bah tried to tell us that Dawkins was a 10 year starter before that draft.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
J.J. Watt on legacy/finishing career with Texans: "I don't think it's any secret that I don't have 10 years left in this league. I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me ... I'm not looking to rebuild, I'm looking to go after a championship."

Taken from the presser 2 weeks ago. The information was around if you looked months ago. Twitter and Instagram accounts said alot as well by JJ, his wife and many other people close to him.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Can’t blame JJ for wanting out of here this is the new Cincinnati Bengals/Detroit Lions of the NFL going forward, we are settling into the role of perennial jobbers that the league always had in mind for this franchise from the beginning, we fought it off for a little while but O’Brien set it into stone and solidified our future as bottom feeders.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Can’t blame JJ for wanting out of here this is the new Cincinnati Bengals/Detroit Lions of the NFL going forward, we are settling into the role of perennial jobbers that the league always had in mind for this franchise from the beginning, we fought it off for a little while but O’Brien set it into stone and solidified our future as bottom feeders.
Sad part is JJ is on the search committee.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I remember in 2013 this team went 2-14 & people were saying alot of the same things they're saying now...bad contracts (Schaub), deficits in talent in certain areas were responsible for holding this team back. It was gonna take all kinds of major changes to right the ship. Then BoB came in & we improved to 9-7 immediately...& it was done with almost no help from our draft picks that year. I say all that to say that this team isn't as far off as people think. a few well placed FA pick ups and decent pick ups in the middle rounds of the draft next year...a few guys continue to develop, this team can be competitive starting next year...8-8, 9-7.
I agree. I think we do need a good GM & HC, though. We need a good GM that will figure out how we'll be able to get under the cap, as well as find guys in the draft that will contribute. I'm not even asking for studs, but we need some guys that will contribute to the team (unlike Reid, Coulter, and Heck). We then need a HC that knows how to better utilize the talent and strengths of the team. Also, being average at running the ball and stopping the run shouldn't be asking for too much.

Not to mention, we'll have the 3rd place schedule next season. I wouldn't be surprised with returning to 9-7 next season.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
J.J. Watt and John McClain's exchange to end presser:
"I think everybody likes a good nap and sleeping in ... probably benefitted you too, John."
"Unlike you I had to work every day."
"I was gonna say you could take a break from bashing us on Twitter and everything." https://t.co/b1FwSGK3kW

Yeah, JJ is not going to work with McClain. So, if he is on the committee, McClain is off. Side note, that was the presser JJ all but said he was leaving for a contender.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
J.J. Watt on legacy/finishing career with Texans: "I don't think it's any secret that I don't have 10 years left in this league. I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me ... I'm not looking to rebuild, I'm looking to go after a championship."

I took this comment much differently then what a lot of posters are saying here. I didn't interpret his comments as he wants out of Houston, but more of a statement that the Texans are not rebuilding, in a pumping sunshine public speak kind of way (we have the talent, we are just re-tooling). That's what I thought he meant, could be wrong. And then he came out and said he wanted to finish his career in Houston.

I think JJ will end up restructuring his contract to help out with cap issues. He's a team player like that. I really do hope he finishes his career in Houston.

Side note: I think he still has some gas left in the tank, peeps keep telling me he is/was done but I don't think so, not quite yet.

JMO

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
To be fair Watt has stepped up his game recently; hope he can continue.
He has been playing better - but gets criticized because he isn't "JJ WATT!" any longer. He is still talented, not quite as physically able any longer. He is now a guy that can get 8-12 sacks a year if he isn't THE defense, would need there to be another, potentially bigger threat (at least) on the line where Watt isn't the focus, who else for the Texans scares you on the opposing offense?

I know, I know, you're thinking but they aren't doubling Watt - well they don't always have to, the guy gets held like crazy but because he is Watt the officials don't call it, and doubling a guy isn't all you can do - quick passes (all too easy against our soft coverage - I like to call it the bend then break defense), have the QB roll slightly to the opposite side, run away from him etc. etc. etc.

Watt would be having a better year, this year, with DJ Reader on the team - obviously my opinion and no way I could prove it - but who can disagree that our line is Watt and a bunch of guys you say "who?" about when they say their name?