Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt Appreciation

RGV82

Random guy
Random thought that I've been thinking about. JJ Watt has not had the career of Bruce Smith or Reggie White overall but I feel like when he was in his prime he was even better than both of those guys and this is coming from someone who watched both of those guys very closely growing up they were my 2 favorites. I was always obsessed with the DE position, loved playing that position and loved watching it. I feel like peak Watt was better than Smith and White because Watt never had the surrounding cast around him that Bruce and Reggie had.

Teams didn't have the luxury of concentrating on Bruce Smith or Reggie White the way teams did/do JJ because look at who else they had to deal with on those defenses. Reggie in his prime with the Eagles had Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, and Jerome Brown around him with Eric Allen in the secondary. Then in Green Bay later he was surrounded by Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson with a secondary that had Leroy Butler and Eugene Robinson. And with Bruce Smith on the Bills youre talking Leon Seals, Cornelius Bennett, Daryl Talley.

Had JJ had talent around him on defense like that who knows what he could have done or how much longer his prime might have been. As much as I love Reader and Mercilus and Mckinney those guys are just nowhere near the level of some of the talent that White and Smith had around them on those units all those years. Even without the supporting cast like what Smith and White had JJ was doing things in his peak that those guys weren't doing. So yes, seeing what I seen and knowing what I know I do feel like JJ in his prime was the best defensive end to ever play the game.
Very possible. If players were judged solely on the best 3-4 years of their careers, I would agree that he would be the best ever.

RGV82

Random guy
The thought occured to me that this next season might be JJs last.
I hope he goes out on a high note and stays healthy.
I will always remember him as the greatest defensive player I have had the pleasure of watching and probably my favourite player of all time.
Technically any year can be a player's last. He is signed through 2021, so hopefully his body holds up and he at least plays out the next 2 years of his contract.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I wonder if Pitt would give us their 2021 second or third for Watt so that he can go play his final year with his brothers.

RGV82

Random guy
I wonder if Pitt would give us their 2021 second or third for Watt so that he can go play his final year with his brothers.
Wishful thinking. There is no way that will ever happen. Even JJ Watt was asked this question "jokingly" on a talk show and he laughed it off, talking about how NFL deals don't just happen so family can play together. This is almost as funny as when people thought Watt may be traded to the Chicago Bears so he could play in the same city as his wife's soccer team.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Wishful thinking. There is no way that will ever happen. Even JJ Watt was asked this question "jokingly" on a talk show and he laughed it off, talking about how NFL deals don't just happen so family can play together. This is almost as funny as when people thought Watt may be traded to the Chicago Bears so he could play in the same city as his wife's soccer team.
Mostly wishful thinking on my part. I want more picks next year. That and I would love to see JJ unite with his brothers for a season. I even wanted Reid's brother to join him in our backfield this year, but that isn't happening.

RGV82

Random guy
Mostly wishful thinking on my part. I want more picks next year. That and I would love to see JJ unite with his brothers for a season. I even wanted Reid's brother to join him in our backfield this year, but that isn't happening.
I want more picks too. Definitely would be nice. However, just taking Watt on face value alone, he would not get us much in terms of draft picks. He is near retirement and injury ridden. No one would give us much for him at all. He will remain a Texan and retire a Texan.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I want more picks too. Definitely would be nice. However, just taking Watt on face value alone, he would not get us much in terms of draft picks. He is near retirement and injury ridden. No one would give us much for him at all. He will remain a Texan and retire a Texan.
Would love to see him become a coach on this team. His work ethic and love of the game is infectious. His leadership is invaluable.
But after a few years break, I can see him opt for a cushy commentary job and he would excel in that arena as well.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Would love to see him become a coach on this team. His work ethic and love of the game is infectious. His leadership is invaluable.
But after a few years break, I can see him opt for a cushy commentary job and he would excel in that arena as well.
Destined for show business man.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It would be nice to have him as dline coach.
His enthusiasm and work ethic and knowledge would be a great help and inspiration for new bloods.

texanhead08

All Pro
It wouldn't stun me if this is his last year here and if he gets hurt again it turns into a dead pipe lock that he is gone.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Someone really didn’t listen to Watts interview. A fifth grader could’ve seen Watt isn’t to thrilled with OB. No player is going to flat out throw his coach underneath the bus while he’s still on the freaking team. Watt is too professional for that type of crap.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Texans' JJ Watt says kneeling during anthem not about 'disrespecting' flag: 'You clearly haven't been listening'

Houston Texans star J.J. Watt tweeted Saturday that kneeling during the national anthem is not about "disrespecting" the American flag or the military.

One person wrote, in a now-deleted tweet, that he was "pretty sure" the three-time Defensive Player of the Year would not be taking a knee, along with three American flag emojis.

Watt clapped back, responding Saturday: “Don’t speak for me”

"If you still think it's about disrespecting the flag or our military, you clearly haven't been listening," Watt tweeted.

On Friday, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said he would kneel with his players if they chose to do so during the anthem.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Expect the NFL TV ratings to fall again.
As soon as the games are being played football fans will be watching. Sports fans are jonesing for sports and if the NFL is first, then fans will be there. If teams go empty or 25% stadiums, fans at home will be watching the games.

MLB is getting their chance to be first to re-start but if they lose the season that’ll be their loss b/c fans want to see the games. MLB’s draft came and went with little to no fanfare.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As soon as the games are being played football fans will be watching. Sports fans are jonesing for sports and if the NFL is first, then fans will be there. If teams go empty or 25% stadiums, fans at home will be watching the games.

MLB is getting their chance to be first to re-start but if they lose the season that’ll be their loss b/c fans want to see the games. MLB’s draft came and went with little to no fanfare.
TV ratings fell last time with the kneeling and I expect this to happen again.

I will be watching alot more college football and golfing/shooting my guns on Sunday's this fall. I'm not saying I wont watch NFL football anymore, but it wont be a priority like it used to be.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Americans are a funny group.....some will empathize with kneelers, some won't tolerate it at all for their very own reasons, and some could care less as long as football is being played. Personally, I don't like the kneeling since our entire family has served and the flag / national anthem has a special place in our hearts. I understand and agree to some extent with the protest and what it stands for but there are better times and places than during the National Anthem at an NFL game. Kneeling or not kneeling, I'll be watching the Texans on gameday(s).

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Americans are a funny group.....some will empathize with kneelers, some won't tolerate it at all for their very own reasons, and some could care less as long as football is being played. Personally, I don't like the kneeling since our entire family has served and the flag / national anthem has a special place in our hearts. I understand and agree to some extent the protest but there are better times and places than an NFL game. Kneeling or not kneeling, I'll be watching the Texans on gameday(s).

A lot of people are very insensitive until it happens to them. I served in the military too but this is not about the military or the flag.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I got a kick out of it last time when people would talk about boycotting NFL over kneeling as if it would effect their ratings. Newsflash hillbilly nobody knows or cares about what you are watching on your TV. Ratings come from a tiny fraction of homes that have "Nielson Box" hooked up to their TV, never in my life have I ever seen one or knew anyone who has so the whole way they determine what people are watching is total bullshit. They really have no clue.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I got a kick out of it last time when people would talk about boycotting NFL over kneeling as if it would effect their ratings. Newsflash hillbilly nobody knows or cares about what you are watching on your TV. Ratings come from a tiny fraction of homes that have "Nielson Box" hooked up to their TV, never in my life have I ever seen one or knew anyone who has so the whole way they determine what people are watching is total bullshit. They really have no clue.
I've done the Neilsen thing yrs ago.

BTW, that tiny fraction decided not to watch as much NFL football after the kneeling started.

I think most fans are like me, they are not going to boycott the NFL, but watching the NFL will no longer be a priority.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
It did effect their ratings. It went down like 20% and the NFL made adjustments because of it. ESPN who was the main sports media source constantly covering it and making it political went through all types of major layoffs and adjustments made to their shows which several no longer even exist now. It will be worse this time around as sports fans have gotten used to not having sports and going without it. Fans know where to find politics when they want that fix or those updates. They don't go to football leagues for it.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I want to hear the reasoning too or where are they getting that from lol.
Because, after 10 years of staying above the noise he decides to go to this guy's funeral, start talking about taking knees and going after fans with "its not about the flag!" ****. Don't know who you're referring to by "they" as if I belong to any discernable group of people in your mind. Pretty sure I've made that clear over the years.

So yeah, he is. Perhaps to "back his teammates," perhaps to look empathetic for his image considering his previous "ties" to pro military, pro police things, perhaps preemptively because he knew the mob would come after him for "Being silent! You're complicit!" perhaps to set himself up to be accepted in his post-playing career, who the hell really knows why.

He can do whatever he wants. But it's kowtowing. And he better know that he's taking a major risk pissing off the people who have backed him so wholeheartedly for such good reason over his career, because everyone knows the people he's bending to will throw him away whenever he's no longer convenient, just like they do for everyone else.

But whatever. His life and career I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: