Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

I really believe that this is a perfect storm kind of situation. It's not just that Watt is great (he is) or that Wade's system is great (it is). It's that Watt is the perfect player for the system he's in. He was literally drafted by the best team possible for him.

It's one of the earmarks of a great organization. Don't just take the BPA. Take the BPA for your system. I always hate the round peg, square hole, we can make it fit routine.

Sacks - Season to date (through Week 4)

J.J. Watt___- 7.5
M. Williams-- 1.5

J.J. added 2 more sacks today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but did have two tackles, including one tackle for loss.

If Mario Williams is given a 7.5 sack over/under for the entire season, which would you take? Personally, I am taking the under.

Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.

Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.

Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Mario. The stats just highlight what an amazing display that Watt is putting on for us and the rest of the league.

The Texans would have liked to have kept Mario if they could have negotiated a reasonable contract that was consistent with his effort and the contribution the Texans expected from him going forward. And I would have been very happy with that, too. But with the salary cap to think of, you just cannot overpay players based solely on their press clippings.

Mario played well here in Houston, but he was never all that consistent and he was never really as productive as his potential, his draft position and his compensation suggested that he probably should be. He was still a very good player. He just never quite achieved the dominant status that many of us thought that he would and that he should.

Buffalo obviously valued Mario's expected contribution differently than the Texans did and offered to pay him an extraordinary amount of money. He was not worth that much and pretty much everyone in Houston knew it. So, I and pretty much everyone else here in Houston wished Mario "bon voyage" without any misgivings, and he left. Good for him. It would have been nice if the Texans could have managed to keep him on the team, just not for anywhere near the money that Buffalo is paying him.

And as I expect you will agree, his current performance bears that out to some extent.

Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.

it may be my perception, but antonio appears to still get most of the double teams (which wouldnt be very surprising considering he's been at the top for years now). teams are going to have to shift everything to watt's side at some point and when they do the ninja is going to go off. the sack he had was pretty dang impressive ... the tackle chipped in to help the guard get position on antonio, but he still made the play.

Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend jj's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

Jj is worth mario money at this point........

this ^^^^^^^^

Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

He won't be a free agent until 2015 so there's no need to start negotiating during this season, but I do agree that they should wrap him up LONG before the end of his contract. It's obvious that his stellar play is no fluke. He's just a monster.

I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.

I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.

Yep. I don't dislike Mario or wish him unwell. If I saw him on the street I'd happily shake his hand and wish him good health.

But I can't bring myself to give him that much respect. He was the # 1 overall pick and has # 1 overall pick God-given talent, but he doesn't bring that talent to every down or even once every series of downs.

He wasn't offered a renewed contract by the team that drafted him and now I'm certain Buffalo is wondering why they paid him $100 million. That says it all right there.

[url=https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/252566048178573315]Tania Ganguli[/url] said:
Um.. #Titans guard Leroy Harris on JJ Watt: "He's not anything special...I locked him down most of the game except those 2 plays." #Texans

you mad bro?

Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Anyone have input on the lack of sacks from our OLB position?

Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Yes...
They're scared of JJ Watt.
:mcnugget:
He's so freakin' bad, Cushing has nightmares about JJ.
He causes the Grim Reaper to look over his shoulder!

JJ watt is everything we hoped Mario would be, and he's only in his second year. This guy is incredible, and I can't thank SF enough for picking Aldon Smith ahead of us!

It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.

Reed has been in coverage a bunch playing on the strong side.

Barwin, IMO, should probably be a strong side OLB too.

Not going to kill him, but I don't think he's looked all that great.

It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.

I can buy that. With that logic one would lead you to believe that a downturn is sack numbers (not pressure) from Watt is to be expected in the near future as there is no way offenses can continue to afford to not double team Watt.

With the downturn in sacks from Watt, there should be an uptick in sacks from Reed, Barwin, and Mercilus...assuming Watt starts comanding double teams.

One way or the other, the defense and Wade are doing what they need to do. They are kicking the opposing offenses asses up and down the field thru four weeks so far...

Very excited to exact revenge on the Jets next week. I really hope we embarass them in front of a national audience.

THe only 5-0 record that has any meaning will be the one the Texans are sporting after next Monday night.

Agreed. But I am also looking forward to taking that goose egg out of the other 5-0 record. It's time for Jets fans to know what it's like to lose to the Texans.

I don't understand why we have to poison a thread honoring the best D player in football with bitterness toward Mario. Take that crap to the NFL forums. This is a thread about JJ Watt. You can have one without the other, you know. Compartmentalize, people.

You guys are talking about Watt not being double-teamed? I don't know much about that so I'm sure you're right but it kinda sounds like you're saying that teams are scheming him as if he's the lowest common denominator. I've seen him plow through double teams AND the RB block. This wrecking ball is definitely NOT being ignored by teams. His motor is just flat-out demolishing entire offensive lines. He has a real nose for the ball. It's really that simple.

Our entire defensive line is superb... including Barwin despite his lack of "stats" or whatever it is that folks use as a guage. It all starts with Antonio Smith though. He's the governor of that entire front seven. We've always had a swarm sleeping back there... JJ Watt is the one who got the hive in a frenzy. That defense is clicking on so many levels right now.

The major difference between Watt and Mario is all about heart, enthusiasm, hustle, full effort EVERY play, and being dedicated to being the best you can possibly be 365 days a year. Give me a good athlete playing with balls out intensity 100% of the time over a super freak who takes plays off and isn't dedicated to his craft every single time. The Howie Long comparison is a good one, and what JJ is doing for an athlete at his position is VERY rare. Let's just enjoy it while we can. He is special and I feel blessed just to be able to watch him week in and week out.

If Mario had JJ's heart, he would be one of the all-time greats. He is flat out a better athlete than JJ...but JJ is all heart. That is the difference.

And yes, having said that, I would still love to line up Mario for 16 games outside of JJ on that side of the line. That might be unreal, but it wasn't to be so let's wish the Bills well with their 100 million dollar man and move on with the Wattage we have! :)

Not asking for any of that. We're not comparing KMart to Jacoby, Casey to Leach, Jjo to Dunta, Brady James to Zack Diles, Antonio Smith to Okoye, Graham to Dressen.... those guys are gone, we moved on.

But comparing Jj Watt to Mario is stupid. Some guys here are acting like they got dumped by the ugly girl. It never was about Jj or Mario. It was about Jj, Mario & Barwin or Jj, Barwin, & Reed.

The money thing got in the way, I get that, don't want to have that argument all over again (I'm not arguing that point). But on the field, yeah... we'd have been better with Mario even though we look pert' dam good without, we'd be even better.

You guys are talking about Watt not being double-teamed? I don't know much about that so I'm sure you're right but it kinda sounds like you're saying that teams are scheming him as if he's the lowest common denominator. I've seen him plow through double teams AND the RB block. This wrecking ball is definitely NOT being ignored by teams. His motor is just flat-out demolishing entire offensive lines. He has a real nose for the ball. It's really that simple.

You're right here. He's getting through double teams & sometimes triple teams. It's not that they are not scheming against him, but the QB has to hold the ball. Every time the ball snaps, start counting. QBs are having to hold the ball a full 3 seconds or more before they can find someone to throw the ball to.

In the past, when Dunta was our best corner back, they weren't having to wait near as long. 2.5 seconds & the ball was out. That's why, imo, rookies did so well against us, it was like being in college, they didn't have to go through their progression, their first read was usually open & there was no second level defense to speak of.

Our secondary is just on top of their game this year, giving the pass rush the time they need.

I notice one thing watching GB play. Clay Mathews gets a lot of free runs at the QB. Capers seems to devise lots of plays that gets him a open look where JJ has to beat someone everytime he gets a tackle for loss or a sack.

I notice one thing watching GB play. Clay Mathews gets a lot of free runs at the QB. Capers seems to devise lots of plays that gets him a open look where JJ has to beat someone everytime he gets a tackle for loss or a sack.

Our OLBs don't seem to get many free runs at the QB.

Our OLBs don't seem to get many free runs at the QB.

That's true, but I get the sneaky feeling Wade is holding back because he hasn't needed too. In some ways, this D has been operating in near pre-season mode. I mean why show all your cards when you've built 20+ point leads in every single game you've played. Wait until we are in a real ball game and then unleash the hounds. I may be offbase here, but that's the way I see it!

That's true, but I get the sneaky feeling Wade is holding back because he hasn't needed too. In some ways, this D has been operating in near pre-season mode. I mean why show all your cards when you've built 20+ point leads in every single game you've played. Wait until we are in a real ball game and then unleash the hounds. I may be offbase here, but that's the way I see it!

You may be right, seemed like they got some free runs last year. Glover got one on Mr Locker yesterday.

Leroy Harris of the Titans: "I locked him (Watt) down for most of the game besides those two plays".

Titans players are pretty much just like their (mostly) meth-cooking fans.

EDIT: Toronto being like, the lone exception, and maybe Bullock53 if he ever posted here again.

This guy...
"Yeah man take away his 2 sacks, and 3 TFLs and he didn't do much."

I'd like to see someone say that after a offensive player has a big game. "Yeah I locked Andre down, take away his 200 yards and those 3 TDs I locked him up."

If the safety blitz works, fine by me.

Might as well use the ILBs to play the middle. I don't think Bradie James could get to the QB even if he was allowed to line up one step into their backfield before the snap, so maybe Wade is taking a year off from the ILB blitzes.

Cushing still performs some ILB blitzes, though.

JJ Watt is simply overtaking everything. One Man Gang.

omg6.png

Yeah but did you see the game yesterday? Even with him running around like Polamalu being matched 1v1 a couple of times, Matthews was not that effective.

30 Tackles
10 Tackles for loss
10 QB hurries
5 Pass deflections
7 1/2 Sacks

except for the tackles, that's just about a probowl SEASON for an interior lineman.

Señor Stan;2025927 said:
Except for that superlaser, we held up pretty well to the Death Star

-Alderaan

Except for the Holocaust, Jews have had a pretty easy go of it for the last 80 years.

Back