Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

Watt is starting to remind me of a certain DE, and his name is Jared Allen. Loving having a guy like this. :kingkong:

And by the way, for all you Mario Williams junkies who swore by that lazy ass all those years, what game in Texans history did Mario ever have that kind of impact?? Watt is the real deal of what Mario Williams was supposed to be. This is the guy that we've been needing all of these years. Mario will sulk in Buffalo. Watt for defensive player of the year!

im by no means a mario junkie but he did have games where he set the tone too... off the top of my head- steelers last yr, colts opening day 2 yrs ago, that broncos tnf etc. i agree they werent nearly frequent enough but he did occasionally have them

@Dutch, great job with the gifs. I looked and looked for a gif of Mutombo's finger wag and couldn't find one. I think it would be really great to see a Mutombo in Rockets uniform finger wag gif side by side with a Watt finger wag gif.

@Dutch, great job with the gifs. I looked and looked for a gif of Mutombo's finger wag and couldn't find one. I think it would be really great to see a Mutombo in Rockets uniform finger wag gif side by side with a Watt finger wag gif.

Do you have a link to a youtube video of it? I can pull those down easily and make one.

Tannehill was notorious at A&M for staring down receivers while they moved through their routes. He telegraphs at least half his throws, and that leads to lots of tipped passes. It's also a rookie QB thing to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if the D-line gets less than 5 PDs next week.

In one of the other threads, not to take anything away from "Watt is a beast," I pointed out that Tannehill threw virtually all of his passes low in straight line without any attempt to high takeoff or arc over the Dline. Here is a post from a senior poster at Thephins.com:

Tannehill has an issue with keeping the ball at around shoulder level when he throws. If he has an open passing lane, there is not really an issue with this throwing motion (except for balls floating on him), but unfortunately, passing lanes are not always there.

Using a clock for reference, Tannehill began his throws from about the 9 o'clock position on just about EVERY throw I saw from him today. Now, on deeper throws, this is probably a more appropriate motion. Think about a mangonel catapult. Some of you might have seen them on those pumpkin toss contests on the Discovery channel (the mangonel is the one with the arm and bucket, not the sling and pouch, which is the trebuchet).

The problem with this motion, especially on shorter-to-intermediate passes, is that the ball moves to the horizontal (which most thrown balls will do, but more so in his case), resulting in some passes being thrown high (or float) on these shorter throws (think the throw to Charles Clay that was inadvertently caught by Fasano). It is also an inefficient motion from a physics standpoint, because it takes quite a bit of stored energy to make that motion. This motion does not really transfer to the projectile efficiently. So in essence, he has to use more energy to put a certain amount of velocity on the ball. And this is just an observation, but he had his arm iced up pretty good in one of the preseason games. Does not necessarily mean much, but he may be working harder than he should with this motion.

Forget the fact that defensive lineman can bat down the balls at the LOS, Tannehill had these issues at Texas A&M (just look at the footage). Against Carolina, he had 4 batted passes at the LOS. This is nothing new.

A more appropriate throwing motion with these tall lineman would be from about the level of the top of the head or higher. The best in the business is Peyton Manning.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that this is something that Tannehill can change so quickly. This is HIS natural throwing motion, and something he has probably done for a very long time. It could stem from a number of things as to why he uses this particular motion, but having smaller hands could be one of the natural reasons for not using a higher launch point. Controlling the ball from a higher launch point is much easier with larger hands. I cannot imagine that he has gone through high school and college without ONE coach pointing this out to him.

And going back to the throwing motion and not being able to change it with any real effectiveness. Tim Tebow worked an entire offseason and deliberately tried to switch it without much success. I am not so sure that we will see much change in the motion. Philbin mentioned that the lineman need to do a better job at keeping their hands on the D-lineman they are against. Maybe this point has been made during practices to even the playing field in light of Tannehill's throwing motion? Just speculation with this, though.

im by no means a mario junkie but he did have games where he set the tone too... off the top of my head- steelers last yr, colts opening day 2 yrs ago, that broncos tnf etc. i agree they werent nearly frequent enough but he did occasionally have them

I certainly remember you defending the guy every chance you could get and acted like people were crazy if they thought he needed to be criticized.

And Mario never had a game like this in his career. Watt caused 3 INT's and recorded a sack and half and a lot of pressure all game long and he is in his 2nd season.

Mario was a good player and I think would have been a dominant edge rusher in wades system.

Mario has the talent and all, but he's not the playmaker watt is. Watt plays faster. I know a lot of people don't buy into the fast twitch stuff, but watt is a fast twitch athlete, and Mario is not.

I would have loved to have seen them both in this defense all last year though.

If we could have stated completely healthy we'd have been scary good.

Texans learned Dolphins' snap count by watching HBO's "Hard Knocks"

2 hours ago

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt is credited with 1.5 sacks and two batted passes that turned into interceptions in the Texans' 30-10 win over the Miami Dolphins Sunday. Watt apparently should also be credited with figuring out the Dolphins' snap count, and he tells the NBC Sports Network's "Pro Football Talk" TV show that he learned it just by watching the Dolphins' training camp tidbits on the HBO series "Hard Knocks".

It's unexpected news that a defense can learn an opponent's snap count by watching a weekly series on HBO. It's even more unexpected news that a channel called the NBC Sports Network actually exists.

We don't have an actual confirming quote from Watt, but the report that the Texans' DE learned the Dolphins snap count from "Hard Knocks" is confirmed on the ProFootballTalk web site. "(Watt) was a little sheepish and guarded when explaining it to co-host Erik Kuselias," writes host and founder Mike Florio, "saying that the same information can be picked up from the preseason game broadcasts. But Watt said that it helped."
http://www.faniq.com/blog/Texans-learned-Dolphins-snap-count-by-watching-Hard-Knocks-Blog-54828

IIRC, Wade Phillips said when he was hired that all players would be taught to rush with arms up. I did not see that much before Wade.

Ok, here are a few to choose from, take your pick. I like the last one against the Lakers :D

Mutumbo3.gif

Mutumbo4.gif

Mutumbo6.gif

Mutumbo5.gif

Me too.

I love his confidence in both himself, and his teammates.

Me three. I was wearing my Liberty White #99 Watt jersey for the game. I'm lovin' me some JJ more and more.

The definition of BEAST!

And to think a bunch of folks didn't like the pick @ 11. I think we stole him.

Me three. I was wearing my Liberty White #99 Watt jersey for the game. I'm lovin' me some JJ more and more.

The definition of BEAST!

And to think a bunch of folks didn't like the pick @ 11. I think we stole him.

Yep, lots of folks wanted Nick Fairley. :jail:

I wasn't one of those, my cousin was p!$$ed when they took Watt. Now, he has a Watt jersey. :wadepalm:

So, who has more sacks this year, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams?

Keep in mind that Williams key role as a 4-3 DE is as a pass rusher, where Watt's key role as a 3-4 DE is not.

If both players stay healthy and Watt out-sacks Williams this year, that will end the Mario Williams arguments once and for all.

In one of the other threads, not to take anything away from "Watt is a beast," I pointed out that Tannehill threw virtually all of his passes low in straight line without any attempt to high takeoff or arc over the Dline. Here is a post from a senior poster at Thephins.com:

At Wisconsin JJ had 5 batted balls in 2009 and 9 in 2010.

I wasn't one of those, my cousin was p!$$ed when they took Watt. Now, he has a Watt jersey. :wadepalm:

Gotta give Cuz credit for seeing the error of his ways. At least he was man enough to pony up and recognize his foolish thinking. :D

So, who has more sacks this year, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams?

Keep in mind that Williams key role as a 4-3 DE is as a pass rusher, where Watt's key role as a 3-4 DE is not.

If both players stay healthy and Watt out-sacks Williams this year, that will end the Mario Williams arguments once and for all.

Hope this doesn't (but I'm sure it will) sound :homer:ish but I'll double down on JJ SWATT! Not baggin' on Mario since obviously he impressed enough to snag a 100 mill contract but #99 is full tilt boogie on every snap. On the other hand the former #90...well that's been well observed and documented.

At Wisconsin JJ had 5 batted balls in 2009 and 9 in 2010.

No argument as to the "beast" label. Just saying that last Sunday a couple of those balls were so low that he didn't need to jump or even raise his hands above his head.

What I worry about is how teams will scheme to counter his bats. I've already read coaches and players mentioning that the Olinemen just need to thump him hard in the chest to have him lose his balance backwards and essentially take him out of the play....a setup for injury. But what I am most worried about is an even more effective counter by Olinemen going low and taking out his knees.

And by the way, for all you Mario Williams junkies who swore by that lazy ass all those years, what game in Texans history did Mario ever have that kind of impact?? Watt is the real deal of what Mario Williams was supposed to be. This is the guy that we've been needing all of these years. Mario will sulk in Buffalo. Watt for defensive player of the year!

I love me some Mario Williams, but I digress. Watt is playing like a #1 overall pick at a position that normally does not impact the game to this degree.

Agreed. Watt also has some things going for him, that Mario didn't have for the majority of his career here. Most importantly, a competent secondary & defensive coordinator. Not taking anything from Watt, but we saw what a force Mario could be with those things for 5 games last season.

In Watt's favor, he is more of a football player than Mario is. Just watching them play, it appears Watt has a feel for the game that Mario still lacks. At the snap, he gets into his opponent then about a second and a half to two seconds, he pulls back & locates the QB, reads his eyes & makes a play.

Still, I'm not going to act like Mario stole my girlfriend or boinked my wife. He's gone, no skin off my back. He's going to do his thing & so will the Houston Texans. I'm only worried about the latter.

I'll take that bet... if you're betting that is.

Do you think JJ Watt will out-sack MW?

Schefter:
4. Watt earning high praise: An early-season favorite for NFL's Defensive Player of the Year is Houston defensive end J.J. Watt. Everyone saw what a factor he could be last postseason, when the Texans beat the Bengals and Watt picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown. But Watt has picked up right where he left off. He made huge plays against the Dolphins, leading one NFL scout to compare Watt's game to that of San Francisco Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Smith. Another NFL general manager said simply, "Watt is a beast."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...eyton-manning-were-colt-adam-schefter-10-spot

Hey, not gonna lie, when I saw Fairley had fallen to us, I thought we were gonna take him. In fact, I was playing a draft game, and used him as my pick for that round. I ended up losing big time, as wolf123 probably remembers :kitten:

I, like everyone else, didn't know who JJ was. After getting some insight about him on this board, I am glad we got him. I went home from the draft party feeling really good about our #1 pick. I even have a brand new JJ Watt jersey that I got for my birthday!! Let's just hope Mercilus can take off!

One more thing to note, when i got home, my dad was calling that pick the worst pick in texans history. Anytime I bring it up now, he claims he never said that! LOL

Says a lot about our scout team right??

Says a lot to the degree that they were able to pick him up and not go with the hype pick (cough cough Ingram to the saints cough cough)

It is also noteworthy to say I didn't follow the draft process at all until last year. This past draft was the first one where I paid attention to who we could get, and who would be a good fit for us.

Sacks - Season to date (through Week 2)

J.J. Watt___- 3.0
M. Williams-- 0.0

So far J.J. has recorded 1.5 sacks in each of his first two games. Mario has none.

I don't care what Mario is doing... But damn, JJ, 3 sacks as a 3-4 DE, add a recovered fumble and several tipped balls. You weren't supposed to be this dominant this fast. Right now he looks like the best 3-4 DE in the league.

I think that title right now belongs to Justin Smith, but Watt definitely belongs in that elite group along with Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour.

Its arguable, but the way Watt is playing he is well on his way to surpassing all of them. If he keeps this up he'll be a Defensive Player of the Year candidate. The scary thing is I think he can be even better.

1) when does his rookie contract expire?
2) i hope we empty the piggy bank for him

1. 3 more years left guaranteed. Option of an extra year for something near what it would cost to franchise tag him, but without actually using the franchise tag.

Haven't read the thread so I don't know if this has been said.

They need to donate money to a charity for every swatted ball. They will be millionaires at the end of the season.

Not that it matters, but I heard Mario got 2 sacks today against KC. Maybe he was going up against Winston! :shades:

No, he didn't. Click on the links in my post that you quoted, and it will take you to the ESPN stats page for each of these players.

Back