Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jimmy Garropolo

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Now, I've watched this guy a lot since last year and he has played exceptionally well in both pre seasons and in garbage time every time he has gotten his chances.

Are any of these guys coming into next year's draft "can't miss" prospects? It doesn't look like it to me, and I haven't heard anyone else claim to be that high on these guys. I know it is still a little early, but where are those blue chip QB's for next year's draft?

Jimmy G is a current Patriot that knows the system. Lol! (I know that we had the failure with Mallet so some are tired of ex Patriots and especially at the QB position.) I understand the initial concerns people would have on that alone just because of the track record. That track record has nothing to do with Jimmy G though. He is his own man, and none of the other failures prove anything about what he could do or has done so far.

He has already played two seasons after this one, so he won't have the typical rookie rust where he'd have to sit out for a long time most likely. We could possibly keep our 1st round draft pick. He knows our system already pretty well, and I like his chances better than any of these other guys.

BB stole this guy from other teams in the draft. I've watched him though, and this kid looks like he can play. I just think this is a safer and better fix at the QB position considering what we will have available to us in the off season.

I also don't see why the Patriots wouldn't do this. Tom has made it very clear he plans on playing until god knows how long. Brady isn't getting washed up any time soon it looks like, and he'll likely keep playing through whatever contract Jimmy has. The Patriots likely have to trade him to get value for him.

To me, this looks like as good of a shot at find our QB as any other prospect out there.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Why they wouldn't do what? What's the proposal?
I'd offer something pretty high Mollywhopper. LIke a 2nd round pick. They picked him in the 2nd round with an early pick if I'm not mistaken, so we'd have to give them that most likely.

I look at it this way. The alternative is a bunch of guys who "right now" don't look like NFL franchise stud QB's to me or hardly anyone else. With this guy, we've already gotten a lot of the learning curve out of the way, and could get him going right away hopefully. He is young and has more potential than anyone I am currently seeing from college right now. Now granted, I'm not one of these guys who sits around on Saturday watching every college team like some guys are. Not this year any way. I may not be quite as knowledgable about the top 5 prospects, but I've watched Jimmy a lot since last season, and I've been pretty damn impressed. He is easily worth a 2nd rounder to me.

Brady will likely outplay Jimmy's contract, and if I'm right he'll leave when that time comes and the Pats will get nothing for him. In hind sight they likely could have traded Mallet years ago, and got more than what we gave them.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I like Garoppolo, so I get the reasons to want him. But I don't get why the Pats would let him go with two years left on a rookie deal for merely what they invested in him. Maybe after next year they'd be so inclined, but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I like Garoppolo, so I get the reasons to want him. But I don't get why the Pats would let him go with two years left on a rookie deal for merely what they invested in him. Maybe after next year they'd be so inclined, but I don't think that's what you're proposing.
Well, if I were the GM or HC of the Texans HE is exactly who I would go after very aggressively. He already knows the system, and if I were in BOB's shoes I'd be after whatever is the best guy I could find right away. He likely only has one more year if Smith isn't fired or even if he is. BOB needs to find his QB now if he wants to keep his job.

The Patriots likely will want to keep him, but they don't have a first round draft pick or a fourth round draft pick, so right now an early round draft pick would be pretty huge for them.

If Brady stays healthy he'll outplay that contract, and they'll lose Jimmy G. any way.

I'd possibly even give up our first round draft pick if the rest of the QB's look that average by draft time.

speedfreek

All Pro
I'd rather have janeane garofalo. Honestly -- no more patriot rejects.
They never pan out. None of them..
Let's get our own guy instead of trusting that the pats GM will pick
the right one for us..

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'd rather have janeane garofalo. Honestly -- no more patriot rejects.
They never pan out. None of them..
Let's get our own guy instead of trusting that the pats GM will pick
the right one for us..
I knew some of you would feel this way, and I have to admit we do have a pretty shaky history with those guys. Lol!

The thing is, Jimmy has nothing to do with them. He is still his own man. Those guys being what they were, is no indication of what Jimmy G would be. He is really just like any guy from another team. He has looked a lot better than anything that Mallet or Hoyer ever showed behind Brady though. He has looked better than any other QB from last year's draft to me in the small amounts of time I've seen. I just think he brings a lower risk for failure than what will be available in the draft. I do right now at least.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The Pats are winners because they recognize winners and losers. Don't ever trade with them. If they are willing to let somebody go, he is bad. We thought we had soaked them on Mallett, but we were the ones who got soaked.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The Pats are winners because they recognize winners and losers. Don't ever trade with them. If they are willing to let somebody go, he is bad. We thought we had soaked them on Mallett, but we were the ones who got soaked.
You thought we soaked them when we landed Mallet? Not everyone thought that. I sure didn't. I didn't know what to expect with him. I just knew that he never blew it up in pre season or in garbage time. He didn't play terribly either. He was just a back up that was an unknown.

Seymour was traded to the Raiders in his prime, and let me tell you that was a mistake by the Patriots. Their pass rush suffered a lot for years after that. They didn't pay Welker when he could still play and that hurt them as well. Welker joined the Broncos and

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
BB does not let good players go*
* please note, Revis is thee exception not the rule
They didn't let go of Revis. He left them for ridiculous money with NY where he wanted to be as well. They tried to obtain him though.

They let go of Welker and that cost them a SB trip in my eyes. They were that close in the AFC championship game and the Pats had almost zero weapons at receiver that year, and Welker went over to the Broncos who were stacked already at receiver. Welker made plays in that game, and the Patriots needed more guys to step up at receiver. Pats barely lost, and I think Welker made a difference that year.

They let go of Vereen who was pretty good in their offense. He is playing well with the Giants right now.

They let go of Woodhead who is pretty good on the Chargers as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think you are looking at a Schaub deal - 2 2nds - to pry him out.
I would do that trade in a heartbeat. I think they may be able to give up a little less since Schaub had played successfully a little bit.

Of course Jimmy G was my #1 rated QB that yr.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
The Pats are good because they have Tom Brady. Everything else isn't nearly as important.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Vereen is good?? 174 yards 0 TDs is good

Wood head has 230 and 2 TDs, that's good??

Welker was abused in the super bowl
Well, when you leave out over half their stats and TD's because you're only listing rushing stats, it's not gonna look nearly as good as if you were to list their total yards from scrimmage and total TD's.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
At this point I would just hire a coach and a gm that recognizes talent and draft a qb without having to spend extra draft picks on a qb we could have had for free. He was there for the taking and the Texans should have drafted him then. New England would ask for a 1st and a 2nd probably to even consider giving him up. We would be the losers of this deal as long as Belichick is there.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
At this point I would just hire a coach and a gm that recognizes talent and draft a qb without having to spend extra draft picks on a qb we could have had for free. He was there for the taking and the Texans should have drafted him then. New England would ask for a 1st and a 2nd probably to even consider giving him up. We would be the losers of this deal as long as Belichick is there.
This. New England has evaluated him at this point and if he's a keeper they'll keep him or ask a king's ransom for him. If he's available we should beware and really, we had a chance to get him and didn't. That tells me that the Texans don't think as highly of him as we do (whether that's good or bad matters not) so now it's on to the 2016 draft and what's available there.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Vereen is good?? 174 yards 0 TDs is good

Wood head has 230 and 2 TDs, that's good??
Do you have any clue at all at how those guys were used? They were both extremely effective in the Patriots offense, and Vereen has been very good for the Giants this year. Clearly, you don't pay attention to the Giants. Woodhead is to small to be an every down back. He is a gadget type back, but he's been a pretty good player since NE discovered him, and he's been pretty good on SD as well. Just because he's white and doesn't have game breaking play potential doesn't mean that he doesn't play well within his niche. Get out and watch more teams before spouting off random stuff that doesn't describe the role they play for their teams. As someone else pointed out, you conveniently left out a lot of their stats that show where a lot of their production comes from.

Welker was abused in the super bowl
And that somehow negates the 778 yards and 10 TD's he had on the Broncos offense in only 13 games? He had to share the 3rd option status with Julius Thomas as well that season, but he was still arguably the best slot receiver in the league. One bad SB game when his entire team played bad negates his entire season? Sorry, but that is one ultra studied statement. That is like me calling Hopkins a fraud because the Texans haven't made the playoffs or because he'd have one bad game in the playoffs.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
But you are not the GM or HC and the guys who are apparently had no interest in him last year.
I'm not the GM? No sh_t. You don't say….

None of us have any clue how they feel about player x or player Y right now as opposed to how they felt then. Your statement lacks relevance.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

None of us have any clue how they feel about player x or player Y right now as opposed to how they felt then. Your statement lacks relevance.
And yours doesn't? You think that because YOU like a guy it's somehow relevant?

Before you get your panties all up in a wad, I wasn't taking a shot at you. My shot was at the brain trust of the Texans and their inability to show they know what they're doing when it comes to talent evaluation. They thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was a better option than Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo. That should tell you everything you need to know.

I have no confidence that they will all of a sudden see the error of their ways, much less learn from them. And even if they do have a different take on JG now, what exactly is it that changed their minds with just 27 NFL passes under his belt? 10 of which, including his lone TD, were in garbage time. That he plays well against 2's and 3's in pre-season?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
And yours doesn't? You think that because YOU like a guy it's somehow relevant?

Before you get your panties all up in a wad, I wasn't taking a shot at you. My shot was at the brain trust of the Texans and their inability to show they know what they're doing when it comes to talent evaluation. They thought Ryan Fitzpatrick was a better option than Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo. That should tell you everything you need to know.
That does not mean they thought Fitzpatrick was a better option. That means Rick Smith got conned into thinking that Clowney was a can't pass up prospect like the fool he is, and thought that none of those QB's were worth using the #1 pick on. That doesn't mean that they felt that Fitzpatrick was the better option. Fitz was never going to be here more than a year unless he somehow became a great QB which had very very little chance of happening.

I have no confidence that they will all of a sudden see the error of their ways, much less learn from them. And even if they do have a different take on JG now, what exactly is it that changed their minds with just 27 NFL passes under his belt? 10 of which, including his lone TD, were in garbage time. That he plays well against 2's and 3's in pre-season?
At the end of the day, they have to either draft some youngin or they'll have to find another veteran player from some other team. Teams just don't let go of quality star QB's unless the QB hates the franchise and the coaches don't get along with the player. That is usually the only time that happens or where a guy leaves as a free agent. There won't be any FA's, so the Texans will ultimately be looking at possibly Mathew Stafford which is a prospect I'm not to fond of. Jimmy G is a guy that the Patriots have to seriously wonder if he'll stay there or not if Brady sticks around. He will do that if he is healthy. If we could offer

I started this thread, because it is what I would do. I know that I'm not a GM, and I don't need anyone reminding me of that. It is however an option that the Texans could potentially pursue other than going after a rookie. The Patriots NEED draft picks. They only have two in the first 4 rounds, and they'll be at the back of the round as well. I'm not saying the Texans will think this way or that the Pats will. It is an idea, and I think it is worth discussing.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I'm more under the belief it's BB and philosophy more so than Brady. Matt Cassel was what 11-5 when Brady went down in 2008?.
That team went 16-0 with Brady the year before and that year with Cassel was the only time in the last 12 years that NE didn't make the playoffs. It's not Brady or Belichick. It's both of them.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That team went 16-0 with Brady the year before and that year with Cassel was the only time in the last 12 years that NE didn't make the playoffs. It's not Brady or Belichick. It's both of them.
Give me 11 wins every yr and I will take my chances on making the playoffs.

BB is the greatest HC of this generation.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
Give me 11 wins every yr and I will take my chances on making the playoffs.

BB is the greatest HC of this generation.
And Brady is the greatest QB of this generation. Hence the 9 AFC Championship appearances, 6 Super Bowl appearances, and 4 Super Bowl wins.

Belichick's career record without Brady is 51-62. His record with Brady is 168-47.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!

They aren't mutually exclusive - Brady and Belichick are both great. Neither would have achieved the same success without each other.

My prediction is they retire together.
How about this week. They can do a startup called UNREPENTANT_CHEATERS.COM

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
When you bring anything to the table that addresses this actual topic, then you'll get a response. Now go drop a turd in some other thread. I'm not interested.
sportsmanship - it makes a difference. Winning is an outcome. How you "win" matters.

OzzO

.. and then?
Appears he's staying a Pat.

All those Jimmy Garoppolo trade rumors may finally going away, with even his most stubborn suitors seeming to lose hope of a successful pursuit.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reasserted that the New England Patriots do not want to trade Garoppolo, and even the Cleveland Browns are starting to believe they’ll be out of luck in that pursuit.

“From my understanding, the Patriots do not want to deal Jimmy Garoppolo,” Rapoport said on NFL Network’s Up To The Minute Thursday. “They really just don’t, whether it’s to the Browns, whether it’s to the Texans. Their stance right now … is they do not want to give up someone who they consider a franchise quarterback for a pick this year.....
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-browns-losing-hope-of-acquiring-jimmy-garoppolo/ar-BBzzqYV?li=BBnb7Kz

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This looks like a good time to revive this thread.

All these people wanted to ignore Jimmy Garropolo at the time all because the Texans had failed QB's before from NE, and since Jimmy G was traded (For only a 2nd round PICK!!) He has done nothing but put himself in the W's column. I can't believe he is already in the SB with a team that looks to be very good for a very long time with the best OC anyone could ask for.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This looks like a good time to revive this thread.

All these people wanted to ignore Jimmy Garropolo at the time all because the Texans had failed QB's before from NE, and since Jimmy G was traded (For only a 2nd round PICK!!) He has done nothing but put himself in the W's column. I can't believe he is already in the SB with a team that looks to be very good for a very long time with the best OC anyone could ask for.
Actually most "all these people" wanted Jimmy G but didn't think BB would trade him that soon

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Actually most "all these people" wanted Jimmy G but didn't think BB would trade him that soon
You never know what someone will trade unless you ask. At least that way in many cases you find out what it will take. You might be Okay with what they want.

And the fact that Jimmy was let go for a 2nd rounder is pretty good evidence that a negotiation was extremely possible.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You never know what someone will trade unless you ask. At least that way in many cases you find out what it will take. You might be Okay with what they want.

And the fact that Jimmy was let go for a 2nd rounder is pretty good evidence that a negotiation was extremely possible.
Yes, but we had just traded up for Watson and didn't have a second thanks to RS and Oz

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Jimmy G is Savage.2 with O'Brien running the offense.
LMAO

I really enjoyed going back and reading all of the fail in this thread.

Patriot haters that would pass on Jimmy G because they were scared Belichick would get over on RS.

Alot of these haters are still on this MB and this is THEIR root cause of the BOB hate. (Looking at you Matrix) In addition to the Kubiak/Aggies lovefest.

Last edited: