Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jerrod Johnson OC requests

Johnson would do a good job with the Saints offense. If he’ll stay obviously would love for that to happen. Ideal scenario is he doesn’t get poached before he becomes an OC here. That way Texans get a comp pick.

Johnson need to ask the question why would the Saints be a good thing for his career?

Coaching top QB? No
Coaching staff stability? No
Could he be let go with rest of staff next year? Yes

Johnson need to ask the question why would the Saints be a good thing for his career?

Coaching top QB? No
Coaching staff stability? No
Could he be let go with rest of staff next year? Yes

Carr was rock solid last season posting a 9-8 record as a starter with a 25-8 td to int ratio. They still have weapons like Kamara and ascending Chris Olave on offense. Not a stretch to say they can win NFC South next season. It’s not a “bad” job by any means.

Carr was rock solid last season posting a 9-8 record as a starter with a 25-8 td to int ratio. They still have weapons like Kamara and ascending Chris Olave on offense. Not a stretch to say they can win NFC South next season. It’s not a “bad” job by any means.

They can win the NFC South but that’s it. Carr isn’t going to get you much else. He is middle of the pack QB. Plus the coaches seats were warm this year. Probably warmer this year.

It’s not a bad job compared to what?

Compared to Texans QB coach and OC in waiting for one of the best QBs in the league? Saints OC job is worse.

Compared to the Eagles and Steelers OC job he interviewed for? The Saints job is worse.

Saints job compared to no job? Yea it’s pretty good.

Edit - That’s just my opinion. Not to say you’re wrong.

They can win the NFC South but that’s it. Carr isn’t going to get you much else. He is middle of the pack QB. Plus the coaches seats were warm this year. Probably warmer this year.

Compared to Texans QB coach and OC in waiting for one of the best QBs in the league? Saints OC job is worse.

Compared to the Eagles and Steelers OC job he interviewed for? The Saints job is worse.

That Eagles QB coach that was OC in waiting probably regrets being the OC for a team dealing with Superbowl hangover this year.

What type of OC jobs do you think are available for coaches with no prior OC experience? You have to take the opportunities you are given. If I were Johnson and offered that job… if I know Slowik is staying I am taking it. As much as it would pain me as a Texans fan.

Reactions: JB

Depends on if they're willing to invest in their ol. If they upgrade the ol then it will be a good job for Johnson to take.

That Eagles QB coach that was OC in waiting probably regrets being the OC for a team dealing with Superbowl hangover this year.

What type of OC jobs do you think are available for coaches with no prior OC experience? You have to take the opportunities you are given. If I were Johnson and offered that job… if I know Slowik is staying I am taking it. As much as it would pain me as a Texans fan.

That’s my point. Johnson is in a situation most coaches would find enviable.

He has essentially established 3 back up plans as OC because he has Stroud as QB.

1. Follow current OC and when he becomes HC then Jerrod becomes OC

2. Don’t follow current OC and become OC of current team with star QB.

3. Branch out and do his own thing. He still has resume to do so and is proving it with the interviews.

That’s my point. Johnson is in a situation most coaches would find enviable.

He has essentially established 3 back up plans as OC because he has Stroud as QB.

1. Follow current OC and when he becomes HC then Jerrod becomes OC

2. Don’t follow current OC and become OC of current team with star QB.

3. Branch out and do his own thing. He still has resume to do so and is proving it with the interviews.
Way to go out on a limb and predict he either does something or nothing.

Doesn't he seem a bit risky as an OC? He has very limited experience as a coach and - to the best of my knowledge - he's never called a game.

I think New Orleans may be bringing in someone from on of the teams in the Super Bowl like Griese or Kubiak from the 49ers. Maybe that’s why they haven’t announced.

JJ is still interviewing with the Bucs.

This guy is really working the circuit and gives my heart burn.

I never did think that Slowik and Johnson were interested in going anywhere else. Sure, they did their due diligence with accepting other teams’ invitations, but I bet neither one of them really hid that they were just going through the motions.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if they actually got asked if they were interested in a HC or OC gig, and they told them, “why would I? I got the dream job right where I’m at!”

I never did think that Slowik and Johnson were interested in going anywhere else. Sure, they did their due diligence with accepting other teams’ invitations, but I bet neither one of them really hid that they were just going through the motions.......

Probably just wanted to see what was out there and how other teams were ran, this may have been some prepping for future interviews. Glad to retain em another year though

I am sure that both Johnson and Slowik were more than a little interested in furthering their career and getting paid multiples more money to do so. Whether either truly thought they were really ready is at issue, but given the fickle nature of being desirable in NFL eyes taking the opportunity at least interview is at a minimum.

And at worst, more money to do the same job does not suck.

Along with all the thoughts in this thread, there is something to be said that Johnson and his wife are in their hometown. Now, I don't think that would stop him from moving, but when you and your wife are here with family, you just had a child AND in a good football situation with competent coaches you can learn from, I don't think there is a huge rush to leave it unless you get a great opportunity. Stuff like that goes a long way for some people and maybe Johnson is one of those guys. He'll get his shot...why rush?

I am sure that both Johnson and Slowik were more than a little interested in furthering their career and getting paid multiples more money to do so. Whether either truly thought they were really ready is at issue, but given the fickle nature of being desirable in NFL eyes taking the opportunity at least interview is at a minimum.

And at worst, more money to do the same job does not suck.
Yep, ask Byron Lefrwich about turning down NFL HC jobs.

Yep, ask Byron Lefrwich about turning down NFL HC jobs.

I don't mean to bring too much optimism with me, but I can't help it these days: the fact that all the assistants with career advancement opportunities are returning is a sign from the inside that there is belief that this season was the beginning of something special and not just an outlier.

We could have easily lost both Sloick and Johnson, but we didn't. Part of that is because they either didn't get an offer, or, they didn't like the offers they got. And I'm sure pay raises for them helped. :)

I never did think that Slowik and Johnson were interested in going anywhere else. Sure, they did their due diligence with accepting other teams’ invitations, but I bet neither one of them really hid that they were just going through the motions.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if they actually got asked if they were interested in a HC or OC gig, and they told them, “why would I? I got the dream job right where I’m at!”
I also think that can be possible. It never hurts to have other people interested in you and have that on your resume. Another thing is in 2025 a better team could be in the offering for each of them. Ryans has put his coaches in a really good position and I think they know that.

Back