Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jerrod Johnson OC requests

If he wants to be an OC (and of course he does) then I'd suggest he wait and see what happens with Slow. If Slow leaves he'll have a choice of either following him to wherever he goes or inheriting this offense with CJ at the wheel.

Agreed and I think he knows that. If Slow leaves this immediately becomes the most attractive OC job.

Where else are you going to get full control of the offensive gameplan and play calling with a bonafide franchise QB?

Agreed and I think he knows that. If Slow leaves this immediately becomes the most attractive OC job.

Where else are you going to get full control of the offensive gameplan and play calling with a bonafide franchise QB?
Losing both Slowik AND Johnson could set CJ back unless we luck into two good ones. If that happens, I hope DR recognizes what's going on and takes corrective measures.

I am totally behind this statement. Jerrod Johnson's importance to the development and growth of one CJ Stroud, can not be overstated.

Jerrod Johnson's loss, would be more negatively impactful to the Texans organization, than Bobby Slowick loss would be (and I love me some Bobby Slowick).
Doubtful and I'm a huge fan of Johnson's. A really smart guy.

My thought was the reasoning behind Johnson getting interview requests for OC
Sure, the Rooney rule could play a part in that. But if Aaron Glenn gets the Tennessee gig, does he have a relationship with Johnson. Other than both being Aggies? There's a lot of shine for those working with CJ Stroud these days.

Another option for Johnson would be to replace Slowik if he takes a HC position elsewhere. If Johnson is ready to step into that OC role, it might be a good time to promote him and see how he does.

Another option for Johnson would be to replace Slowik if he takes a HC position elsewhere. If Johnson is ready to step into that OC role, it might be a good time to promote him and see how he does.

I think that’s what everyone wants if Slowik leaves. If not it’s Jerod’s job when he does.

Otherwise Jerod has the option, so far, to coach two underwhelming QBs that have HCs on a warm to hot seat.

It’s quite possible Jerod could go to either team and be one and done there.

I think that’s what everyone wants if Slowik leaves. If not it’s Jerod’s job when he does.

Otherwise Jerod has the option, so far, to coach two underwhelming QBs that have HCs on a warm to hot seat.

It’s quite possible Jerod could go to either team and be one and done there.
Stefanski is probably going to win COY honors. He shouldn't be on the hot seat. Although hopefully Johnson is smart enough to not join an org with a coack killer at QB.

or that QB coach is interviewing for other OC position also.

Reactions: JB
Sounds like Jerrod will be the Browns’ new OC. (Per Sports610) I hope Nick and Demeco have a good backup plan!
I'm guessing they're basing it on this:

and

I'm guessing they're basing it on this:

and
I really like Jerrod, and I sincerely hope he doesn't take a job with an org that has a coach killing QB.

or that QB coach is interviewing for other OC position also.

full circle

I am totally behind this statement. Jerrod Johnson's importance to the development and growth of one CJ Stroud, can not be overstated.

Jerrod Johnson's loss, would be more negatively impactful to the Texans organization, than Bobby Slowick loss would be (and I love me some Bobby Slowick).

I think that Caserio/Ryans were in on CJ Stroud from the very beginning of the Draft process.

Why do I think these facts are true, you ask? If you pay close attention and follow the bread crumbs, there is a definite line of reasoning, that strongly suggests that CJ Stroud was the Texan's "GUY" all along.

After Demeco got hired the first thing he did was hire Bobby Slowick. Bobby Slowick is a card carrying cititzen of the Kubiackishannahanistanian Nation of offensive systems. But on the same day that they annouced Slowicks hiring (Feb 12th), they annouced the hiring of the Texans new QB coach Jerrod Johnson. So why did they hire Johnson along with Slowick? Jerrod Johnson basically had no experience in the Shannahan offensive system, he had been an assistant coach with the Colts and the Vikings, neither of which which ran the Shannahan offensive system. So why did they hire Jerrod rather than someone that already knew the system? Why did they hire a QB coach that had no experience with the offensive system that Slowick was going to run? This seems like a major disconnect.

So why hire Jerrod Johnson, even though Jerrod had no experience in the Shannahan system, he was a well thought of, up and coming coach. However, you could apply that same label "well thought of, up and coming coach" to a lot of other guy's in the NFL, so again why Jerrod Johnson?

The answer is very simple. Of all, of all the potential QB coaches that the Texans could have hired, Jerrod Johnson had something that absolutely no one else had. A history of personally coaching and improving CJ Stroud's QB skills and technique.

Jerrod's history with CJ goes back to CJ's High School days, back when CJ was thought of as a good, but not elite QB talent. There is an annual High School showcase QB competition called the "Elite 11". In 2019 CJ as a High School Senior, was not selected to attend the Elite 11 competition but instead was pick as an alternate. CJ at this time did not have any scholarship offer's from any big time schools. As it turned out one of the selected candidates suffered a late injury, and CJ was picked up as a participant. However they did not have a coach to handle CJ's squad. So the Elite 11 people, called a little known ex-Aggie QB by the name of Jerrod Johnson, and asked him if he would coach the the stray dog they had added to the participants. They thought that even though Jerrod was not a high profile QB coach, he was only coaching an alternate so what damage could be done. Well as it turns out under Jerrod's coaching tutelage, CJ Stroud the alternate, ended up as the Elite 11 MVP. Based on the Elite 11 Showcase results, CJ Stroud received a scholarship offer from Ohio State and the rest is history. Thus, Jerrod Johnson was a major influence on CJ Stoud's football career.

Now the whole point of this diatribe, is the fact that the Texans hired Jerrod Johnson as the new Texans QB Coach, all the way back on Feb 12th rather than any of the numerous Shannahan System guy's that they could have hired. Is strong circumstantial evidence that CJ Stroud was the Texans QB draft target all the way back on Feb 12th.

Yes this is only circumstantial evidence, as to what actually happened we will never know for sure until everyone retires. But the fact that they hired Jerrod Johnson as QB Coach out of no where, and then drafted CJ Stroud when no one had a clue they were considering CJ with the 2nd pick, seems awfully coincidental, considering the history those two had.

I think it would be smart for Jerrod Johnson to interview places to see what they would pay him to be OC. Then if Slowik does come back (I don’t think he will) then Jerrod can ask Hannah, err Cal for a pay raise. He then can say “Pay Me Rick” or “Pay me Cal” in this case or he will be gone for another team.

I think that is what Jerrod is doing at this point. I think he knows once he becomes OC with the Texans then in two-three years he will be an HC. The Stroud effect.

I hope the Texans know this and will continue to grow coordinators.

With it looking more and more likely that Slowik will be staying on as OC as the head coaching jobs are being filled one by one I imagine that would mean Johnson more than likely heads out for an OC job somewhere.

Provided he's offered one but I imagine he will be. That said so far I've only heard about interviews with the Browns and Eagles, but he should likely be getting more offers as the new head coaches look to fill out their staffs.

Jerrod Johnson's 2nd interveiw with Saints scheduled for today.

giphy.gif

I keep telling myself that Johnson is just doing this to get an offer letter to tell Cal to pay him more.

Texans should pay him more and give him the title assistant OC.

Back