Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jamey Rootes Resigns

Texian

Hall of Fame
Rootes was instrumental in building the value of the Texans over the last 20 years. His leadership will be missed and the McNair's value in the Houston Texans could suffer some with his resignation. His resignation signals this could be a 5 alarm dumpster fire.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The org is getting consistently dragged in the media and the fans are up in arms about the perception that Easterby is more important than some of the best players in the league.
The media part I agree, as for fans outside this forum I haven’t heard to many that care and even some that want Watson gone. It’s hard to care much when you are just a casual fan and the team goes 4-12.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Media has given this franchise a pass for all their **** ups for way too long. Its about time they got called out on their dumb moves.
Media hasn’t given them a pass they just didn’t care. Only reason they care now is because it’s a great click bait story. I can’t tell you how many “Watson could be traded to X” stories I have seen from literally every QB needy team across the country.

Media wants Watson in a bigger market with a bigger fan base and they will happily spin any story to make the Texans look as bad as possible to get it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
We're gonna need a new dumpster then, the last one melted from all the fires.
OK then I need to change my analogy. Cal has made this great big crapola sandwich and we all have to take a great big bite. Jamey said no thanks I'm out of here.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Expected, & could care less about his resignation. Dude had 20 years to make it happen and he failed. Now he wants to resign b/c Cal ignored his Korn Ferry suggestions and he reportedly “ doesn’t like the direction the team is going?”

where’s he been? Fans haven’t been pleased with the direction of this franchise since it’s inception.

Now b/c he’s got a little work to do to overcome the negative pub, he wants to dip? Wish it were that easy for me as a fan...& I’m sure PSL owners wish the same.

Been past time for some of these folks to go. I don’t care about receiving a Texans calendar in the mail every year, I care about winning games & competing....whatever is necessary.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Rootes was instrumental in building the value of the Texans over the last 20 years. His leadership will be missed and the McNair's value in the Houston Texans could suffer some with his resignation. His resignation signals this could be a 5 alarm dumpster fire.
Value? What did Roots do in the last 20 years to make the Texans a Championship team?

All their has been is dysfunction.

Capers/Casserly
Smith/Kubiak
Smith/OB
Gaine/OB
OB/OB

He is not going to be missed.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I say good riddance. With him gone, maybe the Texans will turn to winning football games for their bread & butter
You think it was Rootes holding them back from being football first? He had nothing to do with the football operations. That was it's own sad little department. At least he got things done on his side, which granted, probably isn't hard to do considering the NFL prints it's own money, but still.

And have you seen what's going on on the football side lately? They are far from having their bread buttered.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Any other off season none of us would really care.
Any other moves they've done the last 18 months or so and none of us would really care. And I don't think anybody really does care anyway. To me he's no different than Amy Palcic other than I at least knew his name, and the impact he had on me by raising ticket prices year after year after year. Other than that, he has no effect on wins or losses, so who cares?

It's just getting play because of the soap opera that's been created. Just another day on Days Of Our Texans.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Nothing. Rootes had nothing to do with football, but that is not the value that he was speaking of. The value is that the Texans climbed to a $3B franchise. You are speaking as a fan not a business man
So I am to believe Roots is the one responsible for making that value climb?

And it’s not because of the PSLs, or that the Texans are one of 32 businesses located in the fourth largest city in the US, in a state/city that eats/lives/breathes football? Or that this city has a relatively high number of Fortune 500 companies incorporated in the same city it resides in? Or that between 2002 and 2019 football became an ever increasing popular entertainment to the public? Was it Roots that drafted and coached popular players like Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, and Deshaun Watson?

And as a fan why should we be concerned of the valuation of the franchise being 3 billion vs 2.7 billion.

There is some serious Chicken Little sky is falling posts around here.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I get the housecleaning, but the Texans will continue to be the laughingstock of professional franchises. It begins and ends with Easteby's head directly inside of Cal's backside. Until he is gone, we will continue to be a joke. I truly am disgusted with this franchise.
So when is the press conference where Kyle makes Jack team President?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So I am to believe Roots is the one responsible for making that value climb?

And it’s not because of the PSLs, or that the Texans are one of 32 businesses located in the fourth largest city in the US, in a state/city that eats/lives/breathes football? Or that this city has a relatively high number of Fortune 500 companies incorporated in the same city it resides in? Or that between 2002 and 2019 football became an ever increasing popular entertainment to the public? Was it Roots that drafted and coached popular players like Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, and Deshaun Watson?

And as a fan why should we be concerned of the valuation of the franchise being 3 billion vs 2.7 billion.

There is some serious Chicken Little sky is falling posts around here.
Look, I was just letting you know that you had the term value wrong as to what he meant. I'm not trying to argue and I don't care what you interpret as value in your eyes. I don't know what you mean about Chicken Little sky is falling posts, but if there is, you are the one making them

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
In 45 or so years of being a football fanatic I have never, ever given a hoot about anyone other than the owner, GM or coaching personnel getting hired or fired. I'm also pretty sure that there's not one single player or agent who cares about this particular resignation unless they have an angle to play. Much ado about nothing imo.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You think it was Rootes holding them back from being football first? He had nothing to do with the football operations. That was it's own sad little department. At least he got things done on his side, which granted, probably isn't hard to do considering the NFL prints it's own money, but still.

And have you seen what's going on on the football side lately? They are far from having their bread buttered.
The 1st part of your post is bunk considering Rootes I believe was the guy who brought in the search firm for the last 2 HC’s. He was also on the committee of folks Bob and most likely Cal bounced things off of When it came to certain decisions regarding the team these last 2-3 years. Apart from that he’s reportedly leaving b/c he doesn’t like how things are going now. So if his side of things was completely separate, he sure as hell isnt acting like it was. Me thinks he was very much involved with football operations and had likely the same if not more involvement with that side than Easterby did/does. But now he just doesn’t have as much influence anymore and he’s upset.

Last edited:

austins23

Hall of Fame
Mine is DEFINITELY unchanged considering I watch the games from the comforts of my own home. Not a fan of overpriced beer, food and I rather enjoy not waking up at the crack of dawn braving ridiculous traffic in/out of a stadium.
I've been watching from home as of late as well.
I forgot the "sarcasm" emoji on previous post.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mine is DEFINITELY unchanged considering I watch the games from the comforts of my own home. Not a fan of overpriced beer, food and I rather enjoy not waking up at the crack of dawn braving ridiculous traffic in/out of a stadium.
It's not that bad and we actually look forward to seeing our friends that have sat around us for the last 18 yrs.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Look, I was just letting you know that you had the term value wrong as to what he meant. I'm not trying to argue and I don't care what you interpret as value in your eyes. I don't know what you mean about Chicken Little sky is falling posts, but if there is, you are the one making them
I don’t like knowing that I am wrong. Don’t let me know again.

The chicken little reference isn’t directed towards you, but that there is something terrible going to happen to this team with him gone as some other posters make it out to be.

The issue isn’t that Roots is gone and that’s going to affect the Texans.

The issue is that Roots is gone and it solidifies suspicions that Easterby is gaining more control.

And it solidifies what we already know.

Cal is an idiot.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don’t like knowing that I am wrong. Don’t let me know again.

The chicken little reference isn’t directed towards you, but that there is something terrible going to happen to this team with him gone as some other posters make it out to be.

The issue isn’t that Roots is gone and that’s going to affect the Texans.

The issue is that Roots is gone and it solidifies suspicions that Easterby is gaining more control.

And it solidifies what we already know.

Cal is an idiot.
Just wondering but why does everyone immediately say "Easterby is gaining more control"? Is it not just as likely Caserio is gaining more control? Maybe I'm missing something but all the moves I've seen the Texans make since he was hired have got Caserio happily putting his thumb prints on them.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Just wondering but why does everyone immediately say "Easterby is gaining more control"? Is it not just as likely Caserio is gaining more control? Maybe I'm missing something but all the moves I've seen the Texans make since he was hired have got Caserio happily putting his thumb prints on them.
Easterby gains more control by choosing who they hire, fire, and removing any opposition. He has done this by getting rid of Roots (Ok - he resigned in protest), getting Caserio hired, firing OB, and others. As long as Cal continues to listen to him he will continue to put people in place that won’t challenge his control or influence.

If anything Caserio is in a place that is less than equal to Easterby. If they make decisions by committee, Easterby maintains control assuming Cal does what Easterby tells him.

BTW - Easterby caused Covid-19, he flew the planes on 9/11, and assassinated Franz Ferdinand.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Easterby gains more control by choosing who they hire, fire, and removing any opposition. He has done this by getting rid of Roots (Ok - he resigned in protest), getting Caserio hired, firing OB, and others. As long as Cal continues to listen to him he will continue to put people in place that won’t challenge his control or influence.

If anything Caserio is in a place that is less than equal to Easterby. If they make decisions by committee, Easterby maintains control assuming Cal does what Easterby tells him.

BTW - Easterby caused Covid-19, he flew the planes on 9/11, and assassinated Franz Ferdinand.
I miss the days when we would all just argue about whether OB's schemed sucked and whether Watson was a top 5 QB. All this conspiracy, cult, Machiavellian stuff just isn't as fun. Wish they would just trade Watson and fire Easterby so we can get back to talking about how much the team sucks just because of coaching and playing and not because of some evil villain style crap.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I miss the days when we would all just argue about whether OB's schemed sucked and whether Watson was a top 5 QB. All this conspiracy, cult, Machiavellian stuff just isn't as fun. Wish they would just trade Watson and fire Easterby so we can get back to talking about how much the team sucks just because of coaching and playing and not because of some evil villain style crap.
Ah the good ol' days. I hear ya.

Yea well "Gypsy Jack" or Jack "Boobs" Easterby isn't going anywhere, you know that, we all know that. Sooner or later DW is gone but in here the JE thing should probably be a non-issue but it does make for weird banter.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It isn’t fun to you.

Arguing about a scheme when you know the coach should be fired is ground hogs day to me. Same with Watson and top 5 qb. Which - in the top 5 debate you were basically arguing with one person.

To me it is a new twist on how the Texans will suck I didn’t, or anyone for that matter saw coming. It continues to evolve in epic proportions of disbelief this could or continue to keep happening.

If I could go back to arguing something I would rather go back to argue about division banners and if Schaub had enough arm strength when Kubiak was coach. Those were the good days.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ah the good ol' days. I hear ya.

Yea well "Gypsy Jack" or Jack "Boobs" Easterby isn't going anywhere, you know that, we all know that. Sooner or later DW is gone but in here the JE thing should probably be a non-issue but it does make for weird banter.
It should be a non issue, but some believe the media agenda. Others hate all things Foxboro. I believe Caserio is fully in charge and Easterby found dirt on well entrenched longtime employees when he did his audit and that's where all of this bad press originated from.

I also think there's a 50/50 chance DW4's not traded because of pressure that's being put on by other owners to keep the current structure.

Everybody wouldn't have major problems with the moves that have been/will be made except that former Pats employees will be making the moves. I'm just glad finally the entire org is on the same page and I'm looking forward to seeing Caserio's vision of the rebuild.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Rootes probably realized that Cal is nothing like his father, that Cal is incapable of building - much less maintaining - a multi-billion dollar corporation, and that Cal is a gullible goober that can easily be manipulated by a con-man.

His departure does not move the needle for me, but it does confirm our on-going suspicions that Cal McNair is the root of the problem with this franchise. Easterby this / Easterby that, the truth is he is only representing Cal's orders, who seems to lack the testicular fortitude to do his own dirty work.

Long haul is that this franchise is going to be a crap organization for years to come if Cal McNair is running it. Rootes jumped ship before it completely submerges.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Long haul is that this franchise is going to be a crap organization for years to come if Cal McNair is running it.
I'm not sold on that. Not yet.

IMO, the team is in the state that it's in because we spent the last seven years trying to make Bill O'Brien successful. The lions share of draft capital & FA dollars were spent to help a man do a job he couldn't do.

I'm as skeptical as anyone about Caserio's HC hire. What happens to the Roster over the next seven months will determine whether or not I sour on Caserio. I want them to dump guys like Martin & Whitney. Guys that need to be replaced, regardless what their cap hits are. I want to see them lower the cap hits of McKinney & Cunningham. I want them to draft BPA, regardless where we're picking.

I want to see them make the best they can out of the Watson situation. Whether they trade him, bench him, play him.

I couldn't care less who Easterby hires as the equipment room manager.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m of the mindset that this is pretty much rock bottom and the team can only go up from here. All these moves being made signal to me that the McNairs are hitting the reset button on the organization and setting it back up to represent what THEY want it to and in that regard, as a fan, I don’t really have a problem with that.

all of the outcry about Easterby is drummed up media stuff & I’ve largely felt that way from the beginning truthfully. anybody in that front office whose not okay with him being where he is lost all my sympathy when they sic’ed sports illustrated on dude; it showed to me that it’s more than just about him not being capable of doing the job, but about jealousy.

And so far the changes that have been made at least TO ME don’t look bad at all. They brought in an experienced football guy to be a GM. They brought in a coach who, while a little on the old side, has great endorsements from well respected and successful HC’s and he has a ton of experience. more importantly HE WANTS TO BE HERE.....& so far the assistants brought in to turn this thing around look to be very good and not the typical good ol’ boy hires we see around the league.

This can go really really bad...or really really well; no in-between. But as I said at the top of this post, we’re already pretty much at rock bottom, so I can’t really see it getting worse from here; and “the worst” is assuming that Watson is traded.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Its impressive how Rootes duped the fans to keep paying crazy money for a product that was bad more than it was good.
Genius in marketing, man. Take a $600 million investment and turn it into a $3.1 billion company, ranked 20th on Forbes' annual most valuable sports franchises in the world list.

He even wrote a book on how to do it. It's all about public perception of the brand. Pretty successful when you have waiting lists for season tickets in spite of multiple 2-14 seasons in less than two decades.

I'm not sold on that. Not yet.

IMO, the team is in the state that it's in because we spent the last seven years trying to make Bill O'Brien successful. The lions share of draft capital & FA dollars were spent to help a man do a job he couldn't do.
I'm as skeptical as anyone about Caserio's HC hire. What happens to the Roster over the next seven months will determine whether or not I sour on Caserio. I want them to dump guys like Martin & Whitney. Guys that need to be replaced, regardless what their cap hits are. I want to see them lower the cap hits of McKinney & Cunningham. I want them to draft BPA, regardless where we're picking.

I want to see them make the best they can out of the Watson situation. Whether they trade him, bench him, play him.

I couldn't care less who Easterby hires as the equipment room manager.
I'm giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt. The ultimate proof, of course, is results.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in an owner that wants to build a culture based on something other than winning games in pursuit of a championship. Offending your popular star QB is a terrible way to start, btw, as well as pissing off the only player in the so-called 'ring of honor'.

I’m of the mindset that this is pretty much rock bottom and the team can only go up from here. All these moves being made signal to me that the McNairs are hitting the reset button on the organization and setting it back up to represent what THEY want it to and in that regard, as a fan, I don’t really have a problem with that.
Fair enough. But, we are assuming that the current rock bottom is a temporary rest stop and not a long term destination. Rock bottom could be a string of losing seasons, multiple head coaches, and catastrophic organizational failure that leads to something the Browns experienced for decades until recently. I feel like I've already seen this movie as an Oilers fan.

As far as the McNairs building it up to represent what THEY want, I'd be interested to see exactly how they define that particular mission.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Rootes probably realized that Cal is nothing like his father, that Cal is incapable of building - much less maintaining - a multi-billion dollar corporation, and that Cal is a gullible goober that can easily be manipulated by a con-man.

His departure does not move the needle for me, but it does confirm our on-going suspicions that Cal McNair is the root of the problem with this franchise. Easterby this / Easterby that, the truth is he is only representing Cal's orders, who seems to lack the testicular fortitude to do his own dirty work.

Long haul is that this franchise is going to be a crap organization for years to come if Cal McNair is running it. Rootes jumped ship before it completely submerges.
Exactly, Cal McNair spent nearly 20 years as the presumptive leader of the franchise who had plenty of time to learn the business and even practice this before his father passed. Instead, he consistently proven to be overly influenced by anyone with any sense of a strong personality. Rick Smith buttkissed his way into being godfather Cal's children, BOB bullied his way into being GM, and the Easterly has just bullspitted Cal. This is a consistent and seemingly worsening pattern of character flaw and behavior.

The focus on Easterby is hilarious if not plain misguided. He is the fox doing fox stuff in the Hen house. Talking about Easterby is grown men (mostly) talking teenage gossip mixed with nighttime soap opera. This is all stuff we can go on and on about, never really getting the exact facts, and feel that our view of is correct with minimal evidence.

Currently, for me Casero is the front office hope for the franchise. He appears to be the most adult and least agenda filled, football focused of the bunch. Since he has a prior relationship with fox Easterby he might be able to keep him at bay while directing Cal. And that is still to be seen on either front.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
For Texan players in there we need to refer to it as the "Ring of Horror" for wasting their careers.
Personally I've never bought into the "wasting their careers" idea. Nobody forces them to sign on the dotted line after their rookie deals. Its not hard for a player to get moved to a championship team they just have to be willing to take whatever pay they will offer. Players want to make the big money and I don't blame them at all for that, I would to, but there is nothing in the contract that says a franchise has to put a championship team around them. Often times the choice comes down to making the big money or being on a championship team. Most players take the money and then cry about their wasted career.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
All this sell talk.

Its odd cause the Texans level of incompetence has been reminding me a whole lot of Major League.

Trade off your best players, piss off the fans and remaining players.....

Fire good staff, retain and hire questionable ones.