Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the Secondary fixed?

Is the Secondary Fixed?

• It's even worse than it was last year.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • It's better than last year but it's still not good.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • It's better than last year and needs work but should be fine for this season.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • It's better than last year and will make the rest of the defense better.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • OMG BEST SECONDARY EVER!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm too scared to have a take so I'll just choose this option.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SteelB I side with you somewhat in your frustration with the Texans unwillingness to spend more cap resoures in free agency but it's an entirely different situation when it comes to Draft picks which are the lifeblood of an NFL organization.
You got kinda a cavalier attitude when it comes to throwing Draft picks around in trades for players especially when you suggest using a first round pick for a 29 year-old CB who just got popped with a multigame suspension for PEDs.
Because none of his "suggestions" have any real residual effect. If you were to build a team of his suggestions you wouldn't be able to field a complete team.

No offense to steelbtexan, he's got a point or two. The Texans ain't doing it right.

But just like Mayock had idea after idea about how all 32 teams should run the draft I'm sure he's learning now how unrealistic he was. Each decision has consequences, but until you are in that chair having to deal with those consequences, subsequent decisions aren't what you think they should be.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
SteelB I side with you somewhat in your frustration with the Texans unwillingness to spend more cap resoures in free agency but it's an entirely different situation when it comes to Draft picks which are the lifeblood of an NFL organization.
You got kinda a cavalier attitude when it comes to throwing Draft picks around in trades for players especially when you suggest using a first round pick for a 29 year-old CB who just got popped with a multigame suspension for PEDs.
The guy is really a great player and likely will be for another 3-4 yrs. Well worth it in my mind.

I get that draft picks are premium to some. When you have a chance to acquire a talent like Peterson you do it. (He wouldn't be available with out the suspension)

What are you willing to give up to get one of the top CB's in the game and get top shelf CB play for 3-4 yrs?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You do know Peterson will miss 6 games this season.
Yes, part of the price you have to pay to get one of the best CB's in the game. He will be available for the playoffs, which I think they will make if they traded for PP.

A CB room of PP/JoJo/Colvin/Roby/JoJo/L.Johnson/Crawford looks both deep and talented, with vet leadership and young guys that wont be forced to play right away.

Dont worry the Texans will never trade for a talent like PP. Got keep on trying to win that cap championship.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yes, part of the price you have to pay to get one of the best CB's in the game. He will be available for the playoffs, which I think they will make if they traded for PP.

A CB room of PP/JoJo/Colvin/Roby/JoJo/L.Johnson/Crawford looks both deep and talented, with vet leadership and young guys that wont be forced to play right away.

Dont worry the Texans will never trade for a talent like PP. Got keep on trying to win that cap championship.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. For him to put himself in this type of situation basically means, he's not truly committed to the game anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. For him to put himself in this type of situation basically means, he's not truly committed to the game anymore.
Or maybe he was too committed to the game.

How did you feel about Cushing? I didn't have a problem with him or PP for that matter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not popping on the freaking drug test this deep into his career.

Cushing should've been got the boot.
Why should Cushing have gotten the boot for trying to A. doing everything possible to return to play as soon as possible. B. Prolong his career.

Texansballer74

The Marine

How did you feel about Cushing? I didn't have a problem with him or PP for that matter.

Not popping on the freaking drug test this deep into his career.

Cushing should've been got the boot.
Why should Cushing have gotten the boot for trying to A. doing everything possible to return to play as soon as possible. B. Prolong his career.
C: breaking the NFL rules and policies again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Steelb probably approves of companies bribing and lying. Anything to maximize stock price or you aren't trying. It's crap of course.

Need to know the specifics on Peterson to really judge. Some things are performance and some are recovery. I hold the latter less against players than the former.
Nope, I just want to see the best players possible on the field as quickly as possible.

I'm really not an idealist, I think everybody is on something in the NFL and a few get caught every yr. It doesn't bother me at all. This is the same reason I want the team i root for to take chances on talented but trobled players. I want to see the best players on the field and will let the courts be the judge of morality. I also believe in people getting 2nd chances, I know I've gotten 2nd chances.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Justin Reid Ready for a Bigger Role with the Houston Texans in 2019
byPatrick D. Starr3 hrs

Justin Reid reader for a bigger role on the field and in the locker room for the upcoming season.

The Houston Texans had fortune fall their way in the 2018 NFL Draft finding safety Justin Reid in the third round with their selection. The Texans did not have a first or second round selection due to the shuffling of their quarterback position but the wait on draft day was well worth it for the franchise. General manager Brian Gaine wasn't necessarily looking for a safety after moving Kareem Jackson to the position and signing free agent Tyrann Mathieu giving them two starters to pair with third safety and ball-hawk Andre Hal. Gaine stuck to his draft board and drafted Reid which ended up being a selection that could go down as potentially as a steal.

Reid forced his way into the starting lineup and moved Jackson back to cornerback, and in just less than a season, Reid finds himself the lone starter from that safety group left standing heading into the 2019 season. In his rookie season, Reid defied the early odds by getting on the field and contributing but most importantly making a positive impact to the game on the field.

"Most rookies don't play a lot," Bill O'Brien said of Reid's rookie season. "Go look at the stats on – I think we probably had one of the most, when you look at the numbers, the most rookies that played last year. I think we had 12 rookies or something like that that played. Most rookies don't play a lot, and so Justin got a lot of playing time and played at a good level. All of those guys take a big jump because they understand things better from their first year to their second year."

THE REST OF THE STORY

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Of course you didn’t have a problem with Cushing. Even though Mckinney and Cunningham as a rookie were both clear upgrades over him his final season.

“But Cushing popped so that means he must be good!”

No, he was a liability even on PEDs at the end of his career.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Of course you didn’t have a problem with Cushing. Even though Mckinney and Cunningham as a rookie were both clear upgrades over him his final season.

“But Cushing popped so that means he must be good!”

No, he was a liability even on PEDs at the end of his career.
I guess you don't follow me

I didn't have a problem with him being on the team. This has nothing to do with performance. I wouldn't have given him the 1st extension when he was getting over his 1st ACL.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
It's like Crennel has no pride.

I'm all about winning the right way. But I swear if I'm ever in the same building with Ty Hilton I'll make Tonya Harding look like Ghandi.
I'll hand you the crowbar. ***** that guy and his HOF career against us.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I’m not sure which Colts receiver was worse to face, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne or TY Hilton. One constant over all these years is that Texans have never stopped any of them. Secondary has been 2nd tier since inception. Had a chance with Bouye to be respectable now have to lean on Reid, Joseph and new kid Lonnie Johnson who has a very high ceiling.

I’m hopeful Xavier Crawford is the match-up guy for Hilton, he’s gotta be put on a fast track but has the speed to do it!

Last edited:

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I’m not sure which Colts receiver was worse to face, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne or TY Hilton. One constant over all these years is that Texans have never stopped any of them. Secondary has been 2nd tier since inception. Had a chance with Bouye to be respectable now have to lean on Reid, Joseph and new kid Lonnie Johnson who has a very high ceiling.

I’m hopeful Xavier Crawford is the match-up guy for Hilton, he’s gotta be put on a fast track but has the speed to do it!
Think Roby will get a crack before Xavier, but let the best and fastest guy win! May need them both with Paris too

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
In terms of depth and guys with athleticism to cover I think the Texans are fixed. Wont have to pick up a slow street FA like Shareece Wright or a beat up vet like Kayvon Webster to play (or in Webster’s case... hope to play) meaningful snaps this season. Should have enough bodies with good measurables that can run/cover in camp at least!

If Aaron Colvin rebounds and proves to be worth his contract that would make a huge improvement.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Actually, I do have that option--It's labeled as "I'm too scared to have a take so I'll just choose this option."
That's not a legit option, nothing the Texans do makes me scared anymore. I've already dealt with this amount of organizational assery for so long, nothing "scares" me anymore.. Just in straight acceptance and hope for the best.

Fact is we haven't seen most of these guys play yet and know nothing about them. If you made me have to select a option, I'd say no, they aren't better, but honestly I don't have a clue, because I have yet to see them play. All I know is that we lost some quality vets, J.Jo will only be a year older, and Justin Reed is the only player with both youth/experience needed to show real improvement.. Hell maybe Colvin too, him even playing would be a improvement over what he gave us last season.

Last edited:

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
Fixed?........... this secondary is gonna be an unadulterated mess!

Think about it, you loose Hal and Mathieu. Those are 2 solid vets that knows how to dance.

Ried got potential, but he needs a vet beside him.......... last I heard he was not coordinating anything last year but just playing down hill

If you ask me this is an overhaul. Could get real messy

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone

Think about it, you loose Hal and Mathieu. Those are 2 solid vets that knows how to dance.

Ried got potential, but he needs a vet beside him.......... last I heard he was not coordinating anything last year but just playing down hill

Last I checked Addae and Gipson were solid vets too with 7 and 8 years in the league, do your job type guys. Don't undersell what Reid can do, athletic, worker, and smart (Stanford)

I am less afraid of the pieces Gaine assembled then I am of them playing cohesive early.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Last I checked Addae and Gipson were solid vets too with 7 and 8 years in the league, do your job type guys. Don't undersell what Reid can do, athletic, worker, and smart (Stanford)

I am less afraid of the pieces Gaine assembled then I am of them playing cohesive early.
Yep, the hate runs strong around these parts.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Badger was not good last season . Dude kept blowing his assignments.

We brought in a few veterans players .

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
No disrespect to Tyrann Mathieu, but based on what I saw last year, I think he's a good solid piece to a team, but definitely NOT elite at his position. I think his nickname is better than his play on the field and KC thought the same thing. I could be wrong! I just don't think we lose that much and considering the amount of money he was requesting, I think it was better used elsewhere.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
KC didn't see it that way.
Doesn't mean they're right. Here's what gets to me when people talk about badger and "how the Texans let another one walk" or 'KC showed that he was worth top dollar". Badger was almost done in the league as a player on a contender team till the Texans gave him a one year deal. Guy has one decent year while playing in a fight for your life season and now all of a sudden he was the best thing to happen to the defense not named Watt in franchise history.

I'm not saying that you are saying this TK, it just drives me nuts how for some on here all the moves that another playoff team makes are pure genius and every move the Texans make is pure stupidity. Other teams have their hits and misses, and I don't doubt they will have some this year, just like the Texans do.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Doesn't mean they're right. Here's what gets to me when people talk about badger and "how the Texans let another one walk" or 'KC showed that he was worth top dollar". Badger wasn't almost done in the league as a player on a contender team till the Texans gave him a one year deal. Guy has one decent year while playing in a fight for your life season and now all of a sudden he was the best thing to happen to the defense not named Watt in franchise history.

I'm not saying that you are saying this TK, it just drives me nuts how for some on here all the moves that another playoff team makes are pure genius and every move the Texans make is pure stupidity. Other teams have their hits and misses, and I don't doubt they will have some this year, just like the Texans do.
The fact is the Texans wanted him back but weren't willing to pay top $$$$ to keep him. (Typical Texans org)

They decided to go cheap with Gipson. I actually like Gipson, hopefully he will be better at covering TE's than HB was.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
My personal taste is that I don't like the show boat stuff when it goes too far. A little bit is okay, but HB crossed that line in my book. Swearinger did, too.

I'll like the new guys better if they act like Been there, Done that, the way Earl Campbell would simply set the football down in the end zone after a touchdown.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The fact is the Texans wanted him back but weren't willing to pay top $$$$ to keep him. (Typical Texans org)

They decided to go cheap with Gipson. I actually like Gipson, hopefully he will be better at covering TE's than HB was.
On all Texan new additions, whether it be in free agency or draft, Gaine wanted to go bigger, faster and longer. Mathieu was undersized, despite playing bigger often times he was mismatched against athletic, big, fast TE’s. Texans learned this hard way and says a lot why they’ve spent 3 picks on TE position in two years.

Teams are spending more on hybrids, either faster LB’s who can cover or bigger safeties who won’t by physically dominated by new TE breed. What would have been ideal, since they also lost Kareem and Andre Hal, lock up badger and still add Gipson alongside Reid. Net is Texans are not as deep @ Safety and health is more a concern.

Texans have withdrawn and seem to be looking inward to find own identity and pathway to achieve goals. All I’ve asked for is more transparency, explanations for reluctance to pay and better communication for fan base. Respect is given when returned.

Now trade for Trent Williams.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro

Maybe not being able to cover TE’s was the reason to let him go. We got a FA that has had better success there. Since not being able to cover TE’s has plagued the secondary over the past few years why keep “ more of the same”?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Maybe not being able to cover TE’s was the reason to let him go. We got a FA that has had better success there. Since not being able to cover TE’s has plagued the secondary over the past few years why keep “ more of the same”?

Actually they didn't let him go because he was offered a pretty solid contract. He turned it down for more money.