Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is the Front Office on Vacation???

So since the Romo hoopla has been done now, can they at least go sign an OL, Receiver, RB, or something? I mean they got money to go get one new player that can help. It doesn't have to be a QB but give us an understanding that someone is back from vacay.

McClain was saying on the radio, there's a particular day they'll wait for before signing FAs. After that day the FAs they sign won't go against us in the compensatory picks calculations.

It's McClain, so I don't know if it's anything more than a wild guess, but I can understand the logic.

. . . For all we know, the Texans may have thought Savage was the best QB in that draft next to Bortles. No reason to take him in the 2nd (as was rumored) (in hindsight, if the Texans thought Savage was the best QB in that draft next to Bortles, they had a very low opinion of that QB class).

Houston's opinion of the QB class that year or this is worth next to nothing. You'd think they might get that by now over on Kirby.

McClain was saying on the radio, there's a particular day they'll wait for before signing FAs. After that day the FAs they sign won't go against us in the compensatory picks calculations.

It's McClain, so I don't know if it's anything more than a wild guess, but I can understand the logic.
If I'm reading this right, it seems as thought he's correct.

http://overthecap.com/june-1-date-means-nfl/

If the June 1 tender is made the player has until July 22 to sign with another team. At that point his former team retains exclusive negotiating rights throughout the season. These June 1 tender amounts do not count against the salary cap until July 15.

If no tender is made, which is usually the case, the player immediately becomes what is referred to as a “street free agent”, meaning their rights were relinquished by another team. This is important because the player, if signed, no longer factors into the compensatory pick equation for the 2015 NFL draft. For teams like the Baltimore Ravens and Green Bay Packers who both do their best to avoid signing true UFA’s due to the compensatory draft this now gives them the green light to go back into the veteran player pool and consider bringing in talent.

It's also my understanding that June 1st isn't a magical date any longer -- it's the 2nd Tuesday after the draft. At this point, I'm guessing we don't see any activity in FA until May 9 when other team's "June 1st" cuts are free to sign w/out negatively affecting our comp picks.

If I'm reading this right, it seems as thought he's correct.

http://overthecap.com/june-1-date-means-nfl/

It's also my understanding that June 1st isn't a magical date any longer -- it's the 2nd Tuesday after the draft. At this point, I'm guessing we don't see any activity in FA until May 9 when other team's "June 1st" cuts are free to sign w/out negatively affecting our comp picks.

I guess the big question is, will there be anybody left out there worth taking? It wasn't a very good class of FA's from everything I heard and most, if not all, the good ones have already been signed.

Normally, most teams will sign FA's to fill their holes before the Draft so they can mostly try to draft BPA. Doing it the other way around seems a bit risky. You have to be very good at drafting and hit on all or most of your draft picks because what is left in FA may not be worth taking. For a team with multiple picks, like the Browns, it may be a good strategy because you could probably fill all or most of your holes with the Draft and then try to plug the rest with the FA's that are left. If it leads to your team getting more Compensatory Picks then maybe it's worth it, but you better be good at drafting! Let's see now, the last time the Texans had a 3rd rd Compensatory Pick was when they lost Mario in FA and they picked Sam Montgomery in the 2013 Draft. How did that work out for them? :thinking:

I guess the big question is, will there be anybody left out there worth taking?
compared to the start of free agancy or compared to now?

I don't expect to see many free agents sign from now to may 9th (or whenever the day is)

definitely none of them are worth sacrifying a comp pick for, you could always trade the pick to move up/down if you don't trust them to draft in the third

compared to the start of free agancy or compared to now?

I don't expect to see many free agents sign from now to may 9th (or whenever the day is)

definitely none of them are worth sacrifying a comp pick for, you could always trade the pick to move up/down if you don't trust them to draft in the third

This brings up a question about why the Texans are waiting this year until after the Draft to go after FA's. Are they doing it this way because they feel, like you say, "none of them are worth sacrificing a comp pick for?" Or, are they doing it now because of the new rule that you can trade comp picks? Maybe it's a little of both. I also wonder if they plan on doing it this way from now on or was this a one time thing because they didn't really like any of the FA's on the market.

This brings up a question about why the Texans are waiting this year until after the Draft to go after FA's. Are they doing it this way because they feel, like you say, "none of them are worth sacrificing a comp pick for?" Or, are they doing it now because of the new rule that you can trade comp picks? Maybe it's a little of both. I also wonder if they plan on doing it this way from now on or was this a one time thing because they didn't really like any of the FA's on the market.

I don't like the idea that we did nothing, and I certainly hope that in the future we will be active in early free agency

but, now that we are here, I have no problem if they want to wait a month more to get the crappy "fill in" freeagents.

this way:

A- we know what we got from the draft, so we can fill holes better
B- we don't lose comp picks next year for no reason (we already lost too many picks next year for no reason)

That date is ten days after the draft , all free agents become street FA's and no longer factor into the calculations for compensatory picks for the following year ....

If that's the case , that they are waiting for that date , it makes sense that they haven't gone and filled any of the perceived holes in the roster - RT , ILB , CB , S not to mention QB.

After it became apparent that they weren't really interested in Romo like all of us thought and everyone reported they were .... it kinda makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking in trading away that #2 pick to get ridda The Blundering Wizard of Os when they could have just sat on him until June 1 and kept the pick since it appears they wont be using that cap space they gained in that exchange on FA's .... If they don't use it , they can roll it over into the 2018 cap but .... why if you feel like your window of opportunity is now.

We'll have to wait for that 10th day after the draft to see what they do , but as it stands now , its looking like they had no real plan and were making room for hypotheticals.

#disappointing

If you were writing a playbook on how to get your HC fired, this offseason would be chapter 1.

That date is ten days after the draft , all free agents become street FA's and no longer factor into the calculations for compensatory picks for the following year ....

If that's the case , that they are waiting for that date , it makes sense that they haven't gone and filled any of the perceived holes in the roster - RT , ILB , CB , S not to mention QB.

After it became apparent that they weren't really interested in Romo like all of us thought and everyone reported they were .... it kinda makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking in trading away that #2 pick to get ridda The Blundering Wizard of Os when they could have just sat on him until June 1 and kept the pick since it appears they wont be using that cap space they gained in that exchange on FA's .... If they don't use it , they can roll it over into the 2018 cap but .... why if you feel like your window of opportunity is now.

We'll have to wait for that 10th day after the draft to see what they do , but as it stands now , its looking like they had no real plan and were making room for hypotheticals.

#disappointing

This is the Ricky McNair tenure in a nutshell.

To answer the OP's question, the answer is that Ricky might as well be on vacation if he's not.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea that we did nothing, and I certainly hope that in the future we will be active in early free agency

but, now that we are here, I have no problem if they want to wait a month more to get the crappy "fill in" freeagents.

this way:

A- we know what we got from the draft, so we can fill holes better
B- we don't lose comp picks next year for no reason (we already lost too many picks next year for no reason)

How can they "fill holes better" after the Draft if there's only scraps and leftovers left in the FA pool?

Say, for example, they don't get an ILB in the Draft for whatever reason and then they start looking in the FA pool and there's nobody left that fits what they are looking for. Then they are stuck having to take someone who doesn't really fit their system, or is a broken down player, or try to trade for someone on another team. Like I said before, you better be very good at the Draft if you want to have this kind of strategy or have a lot of picks to cover any mistakes you make.

How can they "fill holes better" after the Draft if there's only scraps and leftovers left in the FA pool?

as I said, I am comparing NOW with post draft

NOT early free agency with post draft

of course early freeagency has all the good stuff, but that's gone now.

I expect the crappy leftovers to be the same now compared with postdraft, and waiting post draft allows us to pick up the crappy leftovers we might need instead of picking up crappy leftovers now that might become unneeded after the draft

as I said, I am comparing NOW with post draft

NOT early free agency with post draft

of course early freeagency has all the good stuff, but that's gone now.

I expect the crappy leftovers to be the same now compared with postdraft, and waiting post draft allows us to pick up the crappy leftovers we might need instead of picking up crappy leftovers now that might become unneeded after the draft

I understand what you are saying. I am not advocating or suggesting they should get any FA's now before the Draft. What I am saying is that they better hit on all the holes they have with the Draft because there may not be anything left to pick up in Free Agency that can fill those holes. I'm not sure that this is the best strategy (unless you have many Draft picks) but it is the strategy they appear to be going with. We'll see how it works out for them. If they fill all their holes with the Draft and don't take any FA's before the "magical date" (Whenever that is.) then they win and will get several Compensatory Draft Picks next year. If they don't fill all their holes with the Draft they could end up having a bad season. It's a crap-shoot either way.

I understand what you are saying. I am not advocating or suggesting they should get any FA's now before the Draft. What I am saying is that they better hit on all the holes they have with the Draft because there may not be anything left to pick up in Free Agency that can fill those holes. I'm not sure that this is the best strategy (unless you have many Draft picks) but it is the strategy they appear to be going with. We'll see how it works out for them. If they fill all their holes with the Draft and don't take any FA's before the "magical date" (Whenever that is.) then they win and will get several Compensatory Draft Picks next year. If they don't fill all their holes with the Draft they could end up having a bad season. It's a crap-shoot either way.

yeah, all you can get now is some backup, people that can help out during the offseason workouts and maybe some body to throw in the game in meaningless situations.

if you want to address needs via FA you have to do something in the actual free agency period... which is basically the first week :)

are you saying you don't want the comp picks??

I'm saying that what McClain said does not fit the history of the team. We've not employed this strategy in the past and have not been one of the better teams at acquiring compensatory picks.

2017: 0
2016: 0
2015: 0
2014: 3 (1 4th. 1 6th, and 1 7th that was the last pick in the draft)
2013: 2 (1 3rd for Mario, 1 6th)
2012: 0
2011: 1 (1 7th that was the last pick in the draft)
2010: 0
2009: 0
2008: 0
2007: 0

6 comp picks since Rick Smith came on as general manager in 11 seasons, 2 of which were the last picks in the draft. I know the one in 2011 was awarded based on draft selection order, not based on a loss of FA and therefore has nothing to do with the way the team operated in FA.

The Ravens are a team that actually do employ a strategy to maximize comp picks, but also don't go completely inactive in the early part of free agency.

2017: 1
2016: 3
2015: 3
2014: 4
2013: 4
2012: 2
2011: 2
2010: 0
2009: 0
2008: 4
2007: 4

27 comp pick in the past 11 seasons.

So, yes, McClain seems to be simply throwing something out there to try to explain why the team has not been active this year in FA.

0516ca9c23f7ce3610389058ccf951b836d562-retina-thumbnail-large.jpg

. . . After it became apparent that they weren't really interested in Romo like all of us thought and everyone reported they were . . .

Huh? Are we rewriting recent history or did I miss something (credible) that we weren't interested in Romo?

If you were writing a playbook on how to get your HC fired, this offseason would be chapter 1.

We'll see in the draft. If the Texans (Rick Smith) don't gamble on a 1st or 2nd round QB, I'll be one of those who believe Rick just doesn't want to handcuff himself to a QB. He saw what happened to Casserly and decided "woah. I'm not going to let that happen to me". So the coaches become the scapegoat. The OC got the axe this year. Next to go will be the HC. Rick remains sheltered from the fallout.

Huh? Are we rewriting recent history or did I miss something (credible) that we weren't interested in Romo?

Did you hear what Romo said about retiring ?! Houston was his preferred destination and There was no market for his services ...

Every report we heard made it sound like an inevitability that Romo would be a Texan .... Not happening.

So from the get go , IF the Texans had any interest it was Only on their terms , no trade and not at Romo's price point.

So if they weren't going to spend that money saved in giving up the #2 pick to rid themselves of the Blundering Wizard of Os .... Its a wasted resource. They could have just cut him and eaten the loss on this years cap and moved on , retaining the draft selection.

All these reports we've heard internally are that they are content going into the season with Savage and Weeden with health being the only real questionmark .... Seems those reports have some truth to them ....

There have also been statements made by McNair that they need to invest in the position ..... assuming that means draft someone , we'll see Savage as the starter with Weeden & a rookie.

Did you hear what Romo said about retiring ?! Houston was his preferred destination and There was no market for his services ...

Your original remark was "After it became apparent that they weren't really interested in Romo like all of us thought . . . ."

I don't think Romo's statements suggest anything of the sort. On contrary, I would guess the Texans were VERY interested in Romo post release, and were just waiting for that a moment, but Romo, in spite of his own remarks, was not so much interested in the Texans.

"No market" remark not about Texans who he knew wanted him badly, but about the lack of market league-wide given Jerrah's whack-job trick of pulling the release and seeking a trade when everybody in the world (including Romo, I assume) knew there would be a substantial and lucrative market when he was released.

I kinda doubt he got his feelings hurt that Texans weren't willing to trade for him and so decided to join CBS. I figure he was just as happy to take the CBS money and the cushy gig in the booth.

But that's just one opinion--

He could have still waited to be released, or continue waiting for a trade.

He didn't want to play enough anymore, or he wouldn't have taken the CBS job.

He could have still waited to be released, or continue waiting for a trade.

He didn't want to play enough anymore, or he wouldn't have taken the CBS job.

Maybe he didn't want to play for less than $14M/yr. If there was no interest in a trade, not one phone call, maybe he took the hint & decided on broadcasting.

With the type of moves (or non moves) we're seeing, it seems pretty obvious to me that this year is a throw away year purposefully meant to set up O'Brien for failure and firing. The Texans are making lots of defense dogmatic assumptions about the health of some of their players this season. They're saving their marbles for next year when Ricky McNair can find a Ricky double to take O'Brien's place. Believe me, O'Brien will not cry if he's fired, nor will he be without a HC job the following season. Of course, if O'Brien, despite all the obvious obstacles put in his way, happens to pull out a 10-6 season or better, there will be an interesting dilemma on both sides of the fence...............probably disappointment on the part of Ricky McNair...........and conflict on the part of O'Brien as to if he wants to continue dealing with and continuously fighting with a moronic upper management...........or just walk away and go to a team which will appreciate and facilitate his presence.

With the type of moves (or non moves) we're seeing, it seems pretty obvious to me that this year is a throw away year purposefully meant to set up O'Brien for failure and firing. The Texans are making lots of defense dogmatic assumptions about the health of some of their players this season. They're saving their marbles for next year when Ricky McNair can find a Ricky double to take O'Brien's place. Believe me, O'Brien will not cry if he's fired, nor will he be without a HC job the following season. Of course, if O'Brien, despite all the obvious obstacles put in his way, happens to pull out a 10-6 season or better, there will be an interesting dilemma on both sides of the fence...............probably disappointment on the part of Ricky McNair...........and conflict on the part of O'Brien as to if he wants to continue dealing with and continuously fighting with a moronic upper management...........or just walk away and go to a team which will appreciate and facilitate his presence.
Spot on. But I'm I'm putting on my optimist hat and think the stars are in alignment for the Texans this year.

if it's true that they are trying to make him fail I can't see him signing another contract here regardless of the success he has

even a SB out of luck wouldn't be enough, if it's true that he has to work against GM and owner

Say, for example, they don't get an ILB in the Draft for whatever reason and then they start looking in the FA pool and there's nobody left that fits what they are looking for. Then they are stuck having to take someone who doesn't really fit their system, or is a broken down player, or try to trade for someone on another team. Like I said before, you better be very good at the Draft if you want to have this kind of strategy or have a lot of picks to cover any mistakes you make.
I am no Rick Smith fan nor am I a detractor, but this off season is puzzling to say the least.

Those complaining about Rick Smith and the trade of Os are most likely off base.

The likelihood is that BO'b pushed for the trade.

Based on Brocks lousy season it is unlikely any other trade was available.

If that's true, then this organization is worse than anybody thought. You're going to throw a year away instead of growing some balls and firing the guy?

I'm just not going to believe they're that idiotic. They can't be, right?

BO'b is the next Bill Belichick and he'll prove also that he is a top GM once he lands on a team that gives him full control. Lol

He doesn't want full control.

He wants a GM who understands the way the Pats do their business. Like Dimitroff/Robinson.

If that's true, then this organization is worse than anybody thought. You're going to throw a year away instead of growing some balls and firing the guy?

I'm just not going to believe they're that idiotic. They can't be, right?

They have been

That trade happened because Ricky knew Os sucked and Ricky cut bait at the cost of a 2nd rd pick. (Fleecing)
illogical.
If Smith's "plan" is to make O'Brien look bad by giving him a sucky QB, then why not stick him (O'Brien) with that sucky QB for a second year?
Your conspiracy theory makes no sense to me.

illogical.
If Smith's "plan" is to make O'Brien look bad by giving him a sucky QB, then why not stick him (O'Brien) with that sucky QB for a second year?
Your conspiracy theory makes no sense to me.

How many fans would've showed up out at NRG and the ones there would've booed Os unmercifully. Os had to go so the McNairs could keep on cashin those checks. That makes a lot of sense to me.

This is the same reason you're not going to see CK here. There's no conspiracy theory. If you wanted your HC gone and didn't want to pay him off to go away, then this offseason would be a blueprint in how to get rid of him.

I'm hoping BOB wins 10-11 games and puts the Texans in the crap or get off of the pot stage when it comes to keeping BOB. That would be very entertaining.

I would like to hear how firing/letting go of BOB wouldn't be too traumatic from McNair's lips. Then maybe BOB could force McNair into putting a Pats guy in charge of FA/Draft.

Last edited:
I don't know what's going on - this off-season has been bizarre. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Not one single FA signing from another team - even a journeyman? I mean - that is nuckin futs!

I like Rick on a personal level. I believe he is a good man, a good Christian, good family man, etc.

However, on a professional level, I think he's not been a very good GM and this offseason so far is his worse in a very mediocre career. Ya, he got the Browns to take Oz. But who the hell signed him? Ummm, anyone? Bueller?

Outside of that, this has been a big fat zero and at least one, if not two teams in the south are passing the Texans up.

I think he's somehow manipulating Bob and Cal - and has them tied around his little pinky. And BOB knows it and that's causing disunity, and when the chips are down, we all know who Bob/Cal is going to favor. Ricky is practically his son from another Hun. He's on a lifetime contract. I'm just not sure whose life. Could be mine because this team is driving me to drink.

And BOB will be summarily tossed out on his ear because he can't turn ground chuck into filet mignon. And the whole cycle starts again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Until the very top of this team turns over, it's going to be nothing but frustration for us fans. It's like the little gerbil in the cage running around and around his wheel as fast as he can. He can run as fast as he wants, and as long as he wants - but he's not going anywhere. Nero fiddles away while Rome is burning.

Cal...are you listening to your fans or are you as tone deaf and clueless of an owner as your Daddy?

I don't know what's going on - this off-season has been bizarre. But someone is asleep at the wheel. Not one single FA signing from another team - even a journeyman? I mean - that is nuckin futs!

I like Rick on a personal level. I believe he is a good man, a good Christian, good family man, etc.

However, on a professional level, I think he's not been a very good GM and this offseason so far is his worse in a very mediocre career. Ya, he got the Browns to take Oz. But who the hell signed him? Ummm, anyone? Bueller?

Outside of that, this has been a big fat zero and at least one, if not two teams in the south are passing the Texans up.

I think he's somehow manipulating Bob and Cal - and has them tied around his little pinky. And BOB knows it and that's causing disunity, and when the chips are down, we all know who Bob/Cal is going to favor. Ricky is practically his son from another Hun. He's on a lifetime contract. I'm just not sure whose life. Could be mine because this team is driving me to drink.

And BOB will be summarily tossed out on his ear because he can't turn ground chuck into filet mignon. And the whole cycle starts again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Until the very top of this team turns over, it's going to be nothing but frustration for us fans. It's like the little gerbil in the cage running around and around his wheel as fast as he can. He can run as fast as he wants, and as long as he wants - but he's not going anywhere. Nero fiddles away while Rome is burning.

Cal...are you listening to your fans or are you as tone deaf and clueless of an owner as your Daddy?

Exactly

Cal cant even dress himself until he finds out what his dad is wearing for the day. So with that in mind, Cal only listens to his daddy, he doesn't have the time or inclination to listen to the fans. It's not in his best interest.

It wasn't a ploy,

It was a failure with the plan to get Romo.

Everything I'm seeing from the Texans is that they didn't have any interest in Romo .... which is contrary to everything we believed up to the point of Romo's retirement.

But Romo himself stated the Texans were his top choice and I quote "there was no lucrative market for my services".

They might have considered Romo but not at his price and not via trade , only on their terms which would have been very incentive laden.

What that tells me is they were gonna roll with Savage , Weeden and whatever rookie from the get go ..... Romo was nothing but a distraction for us fans.

How many fans would've showed up out at NRG and the ones there would've booed Os unmercifully. Os had to go so the McNairs could keep on cashin those checks. That makes a lot of sense to me.

We won seven out of eight home games. It was a fairly entertaining experience. I wouldn't have booed.

Back