Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is O'Brien finished shaping roster?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Some time ago I posted that this offseason could be the best in Texans history. It may have not been the best but it's certainly been one that stirred up a lot of conversation. here are some interesting possibilities:

TE someone needs to go should it be Jordan Thomas?

I can see the current Fuller, Cobb, Cooks and Stills playing but should Stills who has remained healthiest, has good stats and significant value be moved for a more needed position? Suggestions for teams needing WR after the draft.

Green Bay..round 2 pick AJ Dillon who was followed in round 3 by fullback Josiah Garvin.

Detroit? What if the "trade that wasn't" was our #90 and sweetener for #3.75 and OG Jonah Jackson?
Could Stills for Jackson now be an option? Was Obrien wanting Okwara whom Detroit selected with their first pick in round three but Detroit decided to go with him themselves? I would trade Stills for Jonah.

Stills for Detroit's Tyrell Crosby with 2020 and 2021 on rookie deal?

Browns? Stills for Grant Delpit?
We have Murray and Jordan Reid and some sawdust. Seems like Delpit would be great insurance if Murray like Gipson isn't the long term answer.

It is a long time until game one. Do we really need two DJs? If David appears to be back in form during preseaon, does Duke become trade bait for another position? Even more so if Stills traded for Dillon.

B.McKinney could be interesting as season progresses and players go down.

Not much capspace or 2021 draft picks.

I guess he could start trading 2022 draft picks
You could still pick up a solid player like they did when they traded a guy that was about to be cut to the Chiefs for a guy (Hyde) who was about to be cut and gave the Texans a solid season at a position of need.

Kelemete is a versatile OL that could come in handy to trade at the end of TC to fill a position of need.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You could still pick up a solid player like they did when they traded a guy that was about to be cut to the Chiefs for a guy (Hyde) who was about to be cut and gave the Texans a solid season at a position of need.

Kelemete is a versatile OL that could come in handy to trade at the end of TC to fill a position of need.
Well they traded a 3rd round pick from the previous year for a 1 year rental.

I don't really consider that a success

RGV82

Random guy
Some time ago I posted that this offseason could be the best in Texans history. It may have not been the best but it's certainly been one that stirred up a lot of conversation. here are some interesting possibilities:

TE someone needs to go should it be Jordan Thomas?

I can see the current Fuller, Cobb, Cooks and Stills playing but should Stills who has remained healthiest, has good stats and significant value be moved for a more needed position? Suggestions for teams needing WR after the draft.

Green Bay..round 2 pick AJ Dillon who was followed in round 3 by fullback Josiah Garvin.

Detroit? What if the "trade that wasn't" was our #90 and sweetener for #3.75 and OG Jonah Jackson?
Could Stills for Jackson now be an option? Was Obrien wanting Okwara whom Detroit selected with their first pick in round three but Detroit decided to go with him themselves? I would trade Stills for Jonah.

Stills for Detroit's Tyrell Crosby with 2020 and 2021 on rookie deal?

Browns? Stills for Grant Delpit?
We have Murray and Jordan Reid and some sawdust. Seems like Delpit would be great insurance if Murray like Gipson isn't the long term answer.

It is a long time until game one. Do we really need two DJs? If David appears to be back in form during preseaon, does Duke become trade bait for another position? Even more so if Stills traded for Dillon.

B.McKinney could be interesting as season progresses and players go down.
I know lots of people disagree with me on this, but I am still horrified by the WR corps we are going into the season with. This is not a championship WR corps. We have no big time play makers, and all of them are short and injury prone. 5'10", 5'10", 6'0" and 6'1", and chances are one or two of them don't play the entire season. Unless you have Tom Brady in his prime throwing to these guys, I have no confidence in our WRs. The loss of Hopkins is gonna show really fast.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I know lots of people disagree with me on this, but I am still horrified by the WR corps we are going into the season with. This is not a championship WR corps. We have no big time play makers, and all of them are short and injury prone. 5'10", 5'10", 6'0" and 6'1", and chances are one or two of them don't play the entire season. Unless you have Tom Brady in his prime throwing to these guys, I have no confidence in our WRs. The loss of Hopkins is gonna show really fast.
I really hope you are wrong on this... but I wouldn't bet on it

texan279

Hall of Fame
They were going to cut Rankin so atleast they got something for him instead of cutting him and getting nothing.
Rankin started 5 games for the super bowl champion Chiefs. Is that a testament to BOB's talent evaluation or ability to develop talent? Or lack thereof?

RGV82

Random guy
I really hope you are wrong on this... but I wouldn't bet on it
I hope I am wrong too. Even though Cobb and Cooks aren't big time playmakers, I still like what they bring to the table, but will be skeptical until they prove me wrong. On paper they look great, but they have played their entire careers with some of the best QBs of all time and Super Bowl winning offenses, Cooks (Tom Brady, Drew Brees, SB Champ offense in 2018) and Cobb his entire career with Aaron Rodgers (-2019). Doubting what they will do with our coaching.

On paper with the roster as it stands WR availability "shouldn't" be too detrimental due to the perceived pass catching capability at all the skilled positions. The only thing I'm horrified in is if there are no OTAs or full training camps to get accilmated to this offense and each other.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
On paper with the roster as it stands WR availability "shouldn't" be too detrimental due to the perceived pass catching capability at all the skilled positions. The only thing I'm horrified in is if there are no OTAs or full training camps to get accilmated to this offense and each other.
On a glass half full note it is generally accepted that OB’s best “coaching” is done when he isn’t given anytime to coach and has to throw something together on the fly. Basically he’s a great coach when he doesn’t have time to actually coach...

Could this shortened offseason lead to a Texans Super bowl?!

On a glass half full note it is generally accepted that OB’s best “coaching” is done when he isn’t given anytime to coach and has to throw something together on the fly. Basically he’s a great coach when he doesn’t have time to actually coach...

Could this shortened offseason lead to a Texans Super bowl?!
I'm hoping OB shuts up and lets Tim Kelly fully run the offense.

Rankin started 5 games for the super bowl champion Chiefs. Is that a testament to BOB's talent evaluation or ability to develop talent? Or lack thereof?
It's a testament to

1. How beatup the Chiefs OL was and it's not like Rankin played at a starter level player. He was a stopgap body. Hyde provided much more for the Texans last year. Do you think right now Hyde wishes he would've taken the Texans offer this offseason? He's going to do well to get half the money he was offered and probably ends up like he did with the Browns/Jags. Better for the bird in hand than bird in bush.

2. The greatness of Mahomes kept the offense afloat during the times when the OL was hurt. Was he as effective as before when the OL was healthy? No, but the offense was still functional.

3. With the draft/signing of Tunsil the OL room was full.

Mangler

Toro de España

Think this is an "are you paying attention exercise?" in watching and listening
I don’t know what’s funnier, the guy who made the video seriously thinking O’Brien is a “genius” or the fact that some actually agree and think that DCs will be “confused” and not be able to tell one RB from the other. First off, they both have different jersey numbers, second Duke Johnson’s Jersey reads Johnson Jr, while David Johnson’s only has Johnson.

RGV82

Random guy
It's a testament to

1. How beatup the Chiefs OL was and it's not like Rankin played at a starter level player. He was a stopgap body. Hyde provided much more for the Texans last year. Do you think right now Hyde wishes he would've taken the Texans offer this offseason? He's going to do well to get half the money he was offered and probably ends up like he did with the Browns/Jags. Better for the bird in hand than bird in bush.

2. The greatness of Mahomes kept the offense afloat during the times when the OL was hurt. Was he as effective as before when the OL was healthy? No, but the offense was still functional.

3. With the draft/signing of Tunsil the OL room was full.
What it all comes down to, is BOB will always take players who are already developed on other teams and knows what they are capable of, rather than take players with potential and take the time to work with them and develop them.

Mangler

Toro de España
What it all comes down to, is BOB will always take players who are already developed on other teams and knows what they are capable of, rather than take players with potential and take the time to work with them and develop them.
If you go back and read that and still not comprehend how bad that is from a coaching/GM standpoint, god bless your heart.

Agreed,

But there's not alot to develop there with Rankin.

You think O'Brien's going to be trading Howard or Scharping for a veteran RB on a one year deal?

RGV82

Random guy
Agreed,

But there's not alot to develop there with Rankin.

You think O'Brien's going to be trading Howard or Scharping for a veteran RB on a one year deal?
I was speaking to BOB in general given his history.... not to this instance in specific.

I was speaking to BOB in general given his history.... not to this instance in specific.
I thought we were talking specifically about KDOG griping about trading away a 3rd rd backup for a RB that could start immediately.

I'm speaking generally too, they dont trade away good young players. They have been trading away draft picks for young players with multiple years left on their rookie contracts.

It's sad, but it's the truth.
I didn't realize that BOB was the GM when Rankin was drafted. Maybe decisions like this is why Gaine got fired. Rankin was a missed 3rd rd pick, Reid was a hit of a 3rd rd pick. That's kind of above average for 3rd rd picks.

Well, they do have 4 guys that are proven playmakers plus Coutee, Carter and Coulter. It's going to be OK.

You're just suffering from Hopkins shock.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I didn't realize that BOB was the GM when Rankin was drafted. Maybe decisions like this is why Gaine got fired. Rankin was a missed 3rd rd pick, Reid was a hit of a 3rd rd pick. That's kind of above average for 3rd rd picks.
How was Rankin a missed 3rd round pick? He was utilized in a backup role on a super bowl winning team. Maybe BOB got it wrong?

texan279

Hall of Fame
Nope, I'm with you.

How was Rankin a missed 3rd round pick? He was utilized in a backup role on a super bowl winning team. Maybe BOB got it wrong?
He could've been a backup on the Texans too.

But the Texans needed a RB that could start over a career backup OG.

Gaine was the GM when Rankin was picked maybe he got it wrong.

You do realize we're debating a 3rd rd backup OG. This is silly, must be the offseason. BTW, Give me the percentage of guys drafted in the 3rd rd that are difference making longtime starters. I bet it's low and getting Reid out of that draft was a win. Was that a BOB pick or a Gaine pick? I'm going with both of those guys were Gaine picks.

texan279

Hall of Fame
He could've been a backup on the Texans too.

But the Texans needed a RB that could start over a career backup OG.

Gaine was the GM when Rankin was picked maybe he got it wrong.

You do realize we're debating a 3rd rd backup OG. This is silly, must be the offseason. BTW, Give me the percentage of guys drafted in the 3rd rd that are difference making longtime starters. I bet it's low and getting Reid out of that draft was a win. Was that a BOB pick or a Gaine pick? I'm going with both of those guys were Gaine picks.
So we rented Hyde for one year because BOB was going to release a guy that he thought was "useless" that someone else was able to use on a super bowl run. Yep that's the gist of it.

So we rented Hyde for one year because BOB was going to release a guy that he thought was "useless" that someone else was able to use on a super bowl run. Yep that's the gist of it.
My point is

1. Rankin is easily replaceable

2. If BOB gets dogged on this MB for the Rankin pick, shouldn't he get credit for the Reid pick?

BTW, I dont think BOB made either one of these picks. Good thing is soon we wont be having this discussion anymore after the cleanup is completed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My point is

1. Rankin is easily replaceable
& he was useless to us. Doesn’t make a difference that KC was able to use him. BO’b preferred Kelemente & Mancz, both who played Center in the NFL.

Rankins was getting cut. The fault there lies on Gain who drafted him when BO’b had all the guards he wanted.

& he was useless to us. Doesn’t make a difference that KC was able to use him. BO’b preferred Kelemente & Mancz, both who played Center in the NFL.

Rankins was getting cut. The fault there lies on Gain who drafted him when BO’b had all the guards he wanted.
Not interested in having a conversation with you.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not much capspace or 2021 draft picks.

I guess he could start trading 2022 draft picks
I think it will have to be a player for player trade and we have about $14 million in space but trading vets like McKinney can open pre June 1st $5 million and Stills his entire $7 m.