Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is Kubiaks Job on the line vs the Raiders ? King Solomon says "Yes"

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
The Texans host Oakland on Sunday in the most important game of Gary Kubiak's head coaching career.

No hyperbole here. That's the way it is going to be all season for the Texans' fourth-year head coach.

Kubiak is pretty much where Cecil Cooper was early in the baseball season: in a must-win situation. If his team loses Sunday, he will pretty much be in a can't-win situation.
No doubt, Kubiak's job is on the line this week.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6644030.html

What's going on with the legs and feet?
260xStory.jpg

Solomon is the biggest flip flopper this year. His articles were negative after week 1 and 3, and uber positive after week 2. Dude is a bandwagon writer. Reminds me of a common fan.

I think Texans fans are in a no excuse state . This was to be the year the Texans finally made a playoff push and to see that the gap is still a mile wide is inexcusable .

If the Texans lose to the Raiders , I can see the parking lots staying full until the 2nd quarter . This means less sales on food and beer , and less give a crap . If Bob wants to avert this situation ... he's got to do something . I cannot believe that after an offseason of changes , the defense got worse ... this is talent evaluation or lack off .

I don't really give 2 hoots what Jerome thinks or says since he seems to be unable to figure out what he really thinks. However, I understand his dilemma. I do agree that we have to win this game against the Raiders period. I don't care if Kubiak's job is on the line - I do care that we go into the road games 2-2 - that at least gives us a chance to make something of this season.

My hope is that the team comes out as determined to win as they were against the Titans. If they don't, it is going to be yet another very long Sunday.

Like he'll get fired if he loses this game?

No. Expectations are low right now and if he can't even meet that then I believe Kubiak's bandwagon will be less and less full until sometime after the year he gets the pink slip. We are not a group who utilizes "sudden change"

Solomon is the biggest flip flopper this year. His articles were negative after week 1 and 3, and uber positive after week 2. Dude is a bandwagon writer. Reminds me of a common fan.

I don't think his articles (or the fans reactions to the Texans play) is a result of flip flopping, it is a reaction to the inconsistent play of the team. It should be no surprise that his articles (and the reaction of the fans) is negative when we start the season by laying an egg AT HOME or when we lost to a division rival that we should have beat, at home. Similarly, when we beat the Titans on the road, in a street fight, praise was due.

I think from here on out (unless we go on some long winning or losing streak), I think you can expect a more watered down reaction to the games.

Firey coach on the road.
Ho Hum coach in the J-ville game.

They guy needs to quit TALKING about being consistent, and start
BEING consistent. This team came out lackadaisical against the Jags,
and was HELL-ON-WHEELS against the Titans. I'm proud of Texans fans,
and some members of the media, who refuse to kiss the teams ass when
it UNDERACHIEVES. This team has the ABILITY to be 11-5, but it's
playing like a 6-10 CHUMP!!! Keep this team's feet to the FIYAAAHHH!!

Like he'll get fired if he loses this game?

No. Expectations are low right now and if he can't even meet that then I believe Kubiak's bandwagon will be less and less full until sometime after the year he gets the pink slip. We are not a group who utilizes "sudden change"

Given the history of this franchise I fully expect the Texans to make JaMarcus look like the second coming of Payton Manning. Its our history.

Sadly I have never 'expected' a win going into any game, and I still don't.

Low expectations I know, but how many games have we lost that we were 'expected' to win?

Just think about it, both of our co-ordinators and our general manager are trainees.
I have never bought into the McNair cheapskate theory, but sometimes I do wonder.

Will Detroit win more games than Houston this year? Personally, I wouldn't bet against it.

If the Texans don't make the playoffs this year I suspect McNair will clean house.

:coffee:

I don't see the texans fire kubiak after the game (who would they promote? baby shan?) but i think the writing would be on the wall. defensively there is no one to promote and would there be anyone out there and would we even want someone from our current system?

I think Solomon is right, if the raiders pull a win and it's another lackluster performance by us then yes I think he'll be fired.

I think "Texans history", whatever that means (a jinx, bad luck, bad karma),
is a non-starter. And McNair like most owners is bascically a hands-off type as compared to the minority of owners like a Snyder in DC or a Jones in Dallas who are more active and tend to be more interventionists.
The best opportunity for success is obviously the right HC, and when somebody like a Kraft in NE or a Lurie in Philly get a good one, they're smart enough to hold on to them indefinitely. I honestly think McNair will be in that group eventually (if he lives long enough), but he may have to kiss a few more frogs before he finds the right one ?

No way he gets fired midseason. But a loss this weekend will give McNair a lot of time as to who he should target.

What's going on with the legs and feet?
260xStory.jpg

Years from now we will look back on this picture as Kubiak's "Jack Pardee moment".

Old Oiler fans know what I'm talking about. With Pardee it was the headset. With Larry Dierker it was the sunflower seed stuck to his bottom lip. With Rudy T. it was the disheveled hair and tie. With Dom Capers it was the gaping mouth.

And with Gary Kubiak, it's the crazy feet and Denny's menu.

All nice, upstanding men who eventually lost their teams.

Jerome Solomon, comparing Gary Kubiak to Cecil Cooper is a bit disingenuos it's like comparing John McClain to you :tiphat:

No way he gets fired midseason. But a loss this weekend will give McNair a lot of time as to who he should target.

Pretty much how I feel. Doubt we see a mid season fire. One, McNair doesn't tend to do that. Two, the idea of promoting anyone in this staff scares me.

I do think if they lose this game, the writing in on the wall because the schedule doesn't look any easier after the Raiders.

I like Kubiak as a person...I just don't think he's a very good HC.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm not just disappointed in the job Kubiak had done. I'm also disappointed that our homegrown good guy appears to be on his way out.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm not just disappointed in the job Kubiak had done. I'm also disappointed that our homegrown good guy appears to be on his way out.

My feelings exactly. It would be sad if he lost his first job in Houston.

I wish him all the luck in the world to turn this thing around, but he does need to do it fairly quickly.

I don't see Kubes getting fired for anything till the end of the year(another 8-8 will see him the door), but it could be the way out for Frank Bush this week if the defense keeps this bad play up. Still don't see that either, they won't fire anyone mid-season i wouldnt think.

Simple answer NO besides Kubes is pretty good at bouncing back after a Loss

we might just

Win
Lose
Win
Lose
Win

Just to drive people MAD LOL

and even if we go 6-8 7-7 8-8 i dont think kubes will be gone

I think Texans fans are in a no excuse state . This was to be the year the Texans finally made a playoff push and to see that the gap is still a mile wide is inexcusable .

If the Texans lose to the Raiders , I can see the parking lots staying full until the 2nd quarter . This means less sales on food and beer , and less give a crap . If Bob wants to avert this situation ... he's got to do something . I cannot believe that after an offseason of changes , the defense got worse ... this is talent evaluation or lack off .

not true ive been to every home texan game

even during the 2-14 season fans never stopped showing up and even still cheered they would go to the sunday games just to tailgate and have a good time

No way Kubes gets fired in mid season.

I know, I know. McNair let Capers hang around till the end of his last year. But I think the apathy, maybe hostility would be a better word, that might surface (we are already seeing quite a bit of it) might be much worse this season if it looks like the year is going down the drain.
I don't think Mcnair would hire a new, long-term coach this year but he might name an interim coach for the balance of the year if he were to can Kubiak ?

The problem with Dom was that he was terrible and NEVER seemed to have a handle on this team. I don't know how much of that was wrapped up in holding onto Carr, but that's probably something we will never know.

Kubiak has actually turned our offense into something promising. If anything, Kubiak's problem is getting a hold on the defense. We're never going to win if we can't stop anyone, no matter how good our offense is. I don't know at what point you say that Kubiak has had enough time, but I think it's not going to be in the middle of the year.

And people whine about Richard Justice and think this guy has any cred. Solomon is a scrub writer. Simple enough.

The Texans "12 yr old" OC has forgotten more about football than he'll ever know.

Maybe CT can have a talk with him? Or just fire him and give us all more lameness with Shelby Hodge. We all need more wanna be populars, eh????

Years from now we will look back on this picture as Kubiak's "Jack Pardee moment".

Old Oiler fans know what I'm talking about. With Pardee it was the headset. With Larry Dierker it was the sunflower seed stuck to his bottom lip. With Rudy T. it was the disheveled hair and tie. With Dom Capers it was the gaping mouth.

And with Gary Kubiak, it's the crazy feet and Denny's menu.

All nice, upstanding men who eventually lost their teams.

DB, with Pardee it was the baseball cap move.

The move went like this.
Take off hat, wipe hands through hair, put hat back on, then kinda fix his belt.

I don't want to see Kubiak fired in the middle of the season. No coach's job should ever ride on just one game. That said, though, if the team doesn't win at least nine games this year I'll be in the crowd calling for his job.

well that blows some people's theory that Kubiak is unemotional

:joker:

You know he's yelling that he wanted sausage and not bacon for his Denny's Grand Slam. :shades:

I think DB was referring to this:

JackPardee.jpg

But I remember the ball cap / head wipe well too.

yep and yep. There was one moment when Pardee had the headset on sideways, with this confused look on his face, and it was obvious that he wasn't listening to the headset and was out of touch with his team.

And I do remember the ball cap / head wipe, which was the symptoms leading up to the infamous sideways headset image.

I was kidding about Kubiak, but it is concerning that he stands 20 yards from everyone else for an entire half and he's not mingling or COACHING his players on the sideline. Like Pardee, he has delegated all coaching and decision making, which means whatever inspiration and motivation that he is supposed to provide as the head coach is not working so well. Symptoms, man, symptoms.

I don't see Kubes getting fired for anything till the end of the year(another 8-8 will see him the door), but it could be the way out for Frank Bush this week if the defense keeps this bad play up. Still don't see that either, they won't fire anyone mid-season i wouldnt think.

Bush could be (and should be) gone if the defense gives up big plays because of stupidity and the Texans lose.

Remember they fired Chris Palmer very early in the 2005 season after the offense stunk up a couple of games.

I think DB was referring to this:

JackPardee.jpg

But I remember the ball cap / head wipe well too.

There was a reason Jack Pardee wasn't comfortable with the headset. It's because Bud Adams forced him to wear one. Bud Adams noticed during a game that Pardee wasn't wearing a headset and told the GM to make sure he starts wearing one. His reason? Bud thought he would look more like a head coach if he wore one. A very stupid reason to force your head coach to do something.

That was mentioned in the book "Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business" that I just finished reading about the history of the Oilers.

515HN2K5XSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

There was a reason Jack Pardee wasn't comfortable with the headset. It's because Bud Adams forced him to wear one. Bud Adams noticed during a game that Pardee wasn't wearing a headset and told the GM to make sure he starts wearing one. His reason? Bud thought he would look more like a head coach if he wore one. A very stupid reason to force your head coach to do something.

That was mentioned in the book "Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business" that I just finished reading about the history of the Oilers.

515HN2K5XSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've never read the book but it's on my list. It's amazing what we've gone through as Houston sports fans.

I don't believe anybody will lose their job mid-season. It just isn't this FO"s style. I do think a loss will drive the death nail in the Kubiak coffin for the end of season though and will signal the beginning of the search for a new coach.

Bush could be (and should be) gone if the defense gives up big plays because of stupidity and the Texans lose.

Remember they fired Chris Palmer very early in the 2005 season after the offense stunk up a couple of games.

And that season turned around oh so well after that. The O was just clicking. Plus Palmer was here as OC for three years prior to that, not 3 games.

I'll check it out, too. I've read "Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team", and it's a pretty revealing look at the franchise, as well. Especially the first couple of decades, when Bud was hiring his friends from the oil industry to run the team.

Did you ever notice that Pardee never had headset plugged in?

To think that this probably wouldn't even be a conversation topic if the defensive players could all get their assignments right.

Agreed.
Even the players admit, it's them screwing up. The scheme would work if they didn't keep screwing up their assignments.

It's really not that hard.
1. See man with ball.
2. Attack.
3. Kill.
4. Repeat.

Back