Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it time to discuss OB the GM yet?

I would rather they clean house and start over fresh and that includes a new GM/HC/QB.

Why new QB? Any flaws DW can be over come.

It was said for the longest Peyton Manning was a choke artist and couldn’t win on the big stage.

The Texans have had so many changes at QB in the last 10 years, I don’t want to go through that process again.

Schaub
Yates x 2
Keenum x2
Fitzpatrick
Hoyer
Savage
Mallett
Watson

Look at Chicago. Cleveland. Miami. Jets. Buffalo. Giants. Jacksonville. Tennessee. Indy. List goes on.

No thank you.

we have the cap space. you wouldnt pony up for an All Pro level CB .. you know the kind that we DESPERATELY need right now?

Marcus Peters has been on 3 teams in 5 years. Ask yourself, "Why"? If he is SO GOOD, why has 2 others team gotten rid of him when CB is a PREMIUM position? He hasn't been a pro bowler since 2016. He routinely is injured and gets bet too often to be a #1 CB. He plays well in spurts, but is not worth the money you would have to pay to keep him.

You sir, are delusional. This Franchise has been looking for a QB since 2002. They finally get one, and you want to get rid of him. LOL.

Depends on if you think you can win a SB with Watson. If you don't think you can, I don't, then you're just wasting your time.

I still respect them as people and do have nothing but good will and energy for them and I know that at the end we all just want to win and what is best for the team - what good will pointing the finger at anyone really do?

It's not really pointing the finger... It's not an insult to say someone wants to crown O'Brien, just pointing out a difference of opinion. I mean I know we have some guys who dont blame O'Brien for everything, but I don't see anyone wanting to crown him.

By dvoa, the Texans are #15 on offense and#26 on defense.

That's atrocious for a team that massively mortgaged it's future.

Happy Thanksgiving

Worth it to protect our future in Watson. Wouldn’t want him to be the next Andrew Luck would you?

He's not protected. He's still getting hit a ton and now it's going to be almost impossible to upgrade the ol.

Also, the point is to protect the QB and win a championship, not just protect the QB and get blasted in the first round

Right, it's determined by playoff wins. OBrien has 1 only because Carr was hurt

How do you know that was because Carr was hurt?

Point is you dont know crap about players because I've asked you who you would draft/sign in FA etc... and your response is, it isn't my job. It's impossible to have a debate like this.

What I do know is you can read DVOA charts. I guess there's some value in this, but DVOA doesn't provide a full picture. If it did the Texans would be 4-7 instead of 7-4. I'm beginning to think you would rather the Texans be 4-7 than 7-4.

He's not protected. He's still getting hit a ton and now it's going to be almost impossible to upgrade the ol.

Also, the point is to protect the QB and win a championship, not just protect the QB and get blasted in the first round

You are not correct in saying he is not protected. He is better protected than last year, and is taking less sacks in the last 4 games compared to the first four games.

I agree on you second point. Win a championship. But you can’t win a championship with your franchise QB on the IR.

I am waiting for the next spin.

Here you go.

While I agree that the line is playing better now than at the start of the season some of that is due to the level of competition.

The teams we played in the first 4 games have a much better sack rate than the ones we played in the last four games. So the worse the teams are at getting sacks the better the Texans are at protecting Watson.

The first 4 games the Texans gave up 18 sacks. Three of the teams are in the top six in the league in sacks this year.

Saints: 6 Sacks - 40 total sacks this year
Jaguars: 4 Sacks - 34 total sacks this year
Chargers: 2 Sacks - 25 total sacks this year
Panthers: 6 Sacks - 41 total sacks this year

The first four teams have 140 total sacks this year.

The last 4 Games the Texans gave up 12 sacks. Three of the teams are 20th or worse in sacks

Raiders: 3 Sacks - 26 total sacks this year
Jaguars: 1 Sacks - 34 total sacks this year
Ravens: 7 Sacks - 25 total sacks this year
Colts: 1 Sack - 26 total sacks this year

The last four teams have 111 total sacks this year.

You are not correct in saying he is not protected. He is better protected than last year, and is taking less sacks in the last 4 games compared to the first four games.

I agree on you second point. Win a championship. But you can’t win a championship with your franchise QB on the IR.

More protected than before isn't saying much. And without picks and many FAs to sign, the ol will start to get worse again.

Waiting for the spin this situation isn't O'Brien's fault

More protected than before isn't saying much. And without picks and many FAs to sign, the ol will start to get worse again.

Care to explain after they re-sign Tunsil how their OL is going to get worse Tunsil/Rookie Scharping/Re-signed Martin/Rookie Howard are going to be here for atleast the next 4 yrs.

Do you not watch/learn about football, or has hate blinded you?

IT is no longer about talent on the OL, now it is scheme and coaching. That can be fixed if BOB drops his pair and gets rid of his friend and brings in real OL developer. We need high end money for Tunsil, but that is available. The CB's are better from a talent perspective, more able to mix zone and man, and younger. We need help at edge for sure now though and before yo say it, yes Clowney could have helped, but money was going elsewhere. That they can move up for if special edge is available because CB is now not as dire even if Jjo retires

Care to explain after they re-sign Tunsil how their OL is going to get worse Tunsil/Rookie Scharping/Re-signed Martin/Rookie Howard are going to be here for atleast the next 4 yrs.

Do you not watch/learn about football, or has hate blinded you?

You just named two rookies plus Nick Martin and are wondering how the line might struggle?

IT is no longer about talent on the OL, now it is scheme and coaching. That can be fixed if BOB drops his pair and gets rid of his friend and brings in real OL developer. We need high end money for Tunsil, but that is available. The CB's are better from a talent perspective, more able to mix zone and man, and younger. We need help at edge for sure now though and before yo say it, yes Clowney could have helped, but money was going elsewhere. That they can move up for if special edge is available because CB is now not as dire even if Jjo retires

I don't see BOB dropping his pair after six years

You just named two rookies plus Nick Martin and are wondering how the line might struggle?

You do understand they won't be rookies next year, or the year after, or the year after that right?

Speaking of Nick Martin, what have you thought about his play this season?

Two talented rookies who have the talent to get better. I notice how you left Tunsil out.

Bottom line for me is they have 4 talented young starters who will be here for atleast 5 yrs. Do you not believe in these talent? I do and think they will improve greatly. They do need a new OL coach though, I've got no faith in Devlin helping these young guys improve. Hopefully Marrone gets fired and becomes the new OL coach.

Here you go.

While I agree that the line is playing better now than at the start of the season some of that is due to the level of competition.

The teams we played in the first 4 games have a much better sack rate than the ones we played in the last four games. So the worse the teams are at getting sacks the better the Texans are at protecting Watson.

The first 4 games the Texans gave up 18 sacks. Three of the teams are in the top six in the league in sacks this year.

Saints: 6 Sacks - 40 total sacks this year
Jaguars: 4 Sacks - 34 total sacks this year
Chargers: 2 Sacks - 25 total sacks this year
Panthers: 6 Sacks - 41 total sacks this year

The first four teams have 140 total sacks this year.

The last 4 Games the Texans gave up 12 sacks. Three of the teams are 20th or worse in sacks

Raiders: 3 Sacks - 26 total sacks this year
Jaguars: 1 Sacks - 34 total sacks this year
Ravens: 7 Sacks - 25 total sacks this year
Colts: 1 Sack - 26 total sacks this year

The last four teams have 111 total sacks this year.

Valid point. But when you extrapolate the data further to compare 2018 vs 2019 Watson is taking less sacks per game. If my math is correct that mean almost 2 less per game. The difference in the two years is the unit playing. There were sacks early on in the season that Tunsil gave up because he hadn’t had time to look over the playbook. Kalemente (?) was even in some game(s) before getting IR’d. So it’s not the teams, it’s the unit playing together healthy. Sacks are down, and they would be down further with better health and more playing time together.

More protected is saying everything. That’s the whole point. Tell me a team that doesn’t give up any sacks all season long when the QB is holding onto the ball too long.

From horrible protection to mediocre protection wasn't the plan

The “mediocre” protection as you call it isn’t taking into account Watson’s causes for sacks. And I am sure you won’t acknowledge his responsibility of holding onto the ball too long.

If you take those first four games out of the equation Watson would be averaging 2 sacks per game. Which can be explained to give the OL time to gel, Tunsil to learn play book, and Watson to work out his kinks. However, Watson had a bad game In Baltimore and gave up unnecessary sacks. The numbers make sense that the line is probably on a downward trend of giving up less than two sacks a game because of better OL performance and Watson getting rid of the ball faster. That is a good unit when he does get rid f the ball faster.

The “mediocre” protection as you call it isn’t taking into account Watson’s causes for sacks. And I am sure you won’t acknowledge his responsibility of holding onto the ball too long.

If you take those first four games out of the equation Watson would be averaging 2 sacks per game. Which can be explained to give the OL time to gel, Tunsil to learn play book, and Watson to work out his kinks. However, Watson had a bad game In Baltimore and gave up unnecessary sacks. The numbers make sense that the line is probably on a downward trend of giving up less than two sacks a game because of better OL performance and Watson getting rid of the ball faster. That is a good unit when he does get rid f the ball faster.

I think you're not taking into account how bad the playcalling is. All this talent and the qb is still getting hit too much

I think you're not taking into account how bad the playcalling is. All this talent and the qb is still getting hit too much

I won’t defend the play calling or game plans OB comes up with to make it seem he isn’t at fault.

I just don’t see how all the play calling causes is a leading cause for sacks over Watson holding onto the ball too long. Or poor offensive line play. I need some evidence. Screen shots and examples.

Also, you went from this o-line isn’t working, to this o-line is better than terrible, to the sacks are due to play calling. It seems you are all over the place with the sack reasons.

Seeing how the defensive backs have responded down the stretch.....it could make dealing the teams RD2 pick and maybe a 2021 pick to the Redskins for RG, Brandon Scherff. He's not going to sign so maybe its the perfect time to try and make a deal.

Redskins are fully aware they'll lose him if they don't get him signed to an extension so a trade may not be too far fetched. I'd include Fulton in this deal or trade him to free the cap space up a little more to get BS signed.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Martin
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

Anyone have any reservations with an OL that featured these 5 guys as starters?

Last edited:
IDK. I guess we can talk about OB's moves, although that goes against the arbitrary rule set by some (including known sports writers) that no one can judge the draft or trades until a next year (or longer). In that case, no one should be claiming victory for a year either.

Back