Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it accurate to say that Houston was decimated by health issues in 22'?

Except Lovie worked out Sauce, Stingley and gave his recommendations. Caserio never went to a workout of either Sauce or Stingley. Now Caserio did workout Woolen and he didn't pick him, so there is that.

Woolen was the real miss of the CB class. And it wasn’t just a miss by Houston. No excuse for a player with those traits to fall to the 5th round. Paralysis by overanalysis from NFL scouts?

Seahawks got themselves a bigger, more athletic Richard Sherman at around the same spot they took the first!

Stingley was complicated.

Everyone, or at least a lot of us, expected us to take Sauce.

Then we took Stingley and left Sauce for the Jets. Which was irritating. A lot of people were upset.

Then Sauce becomes DROY.

Stingley played really well, but it paled in comparison to Sauce and then he ended up injured.

And that was the point where it drove a lot of people nuts. DROY was salt in the wound but the injury was something many predicted from the moment his name was called. Injuries can happen to any player and lots of guys recover from injuries and go on to have good careers but that just seemed inevitable and then it happened.

Think he plays the majority of the games this season?

Woolen was the real miss of the CB class. And it wasn’t just a miss by Houston.
I agree with that. But, would Woolen have played as well in Houston as he did in Seattle? Coaching staffs deserve credit for developing later round picks into premium players. I don't know if the Texans have had a staff like that in the past. Hopefully, they do now.

Last edited:
And that was the point where it drove a lot of people nuts. DROY was salt in the wound but the injury was something many predicted from the moment his name was called. Injuries can happen to any player and lots of guys recover from injuries and go on to have good careers but that just seemed inevitable and then it happened.

Think he plays the majority of the games this season?

No, I don't.

I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with that. But, would Woolen have played as well in Houston as he did in Seattle? Coaching staffs deserve credit for developing later round picks into premium players. I don't know if the Texans have had a staff like that in the past. Hopefully, they do now.

Probably would not have played as well here last season but I think he would have flashed his potential enough to be a factor in DeMeco’s defense.

I believe Stingley’s Combine results clouded Lovie’s judgement. Coming off his foot injury and still not 100% healed…..Stingley did the unexpected by running a 4.37-40, then a 38.5” Vertical, and a 10’-2” Broad Jump.

Lovie wanted a Cover Corner who had the ability to play on an island. When Stingley was on the field, he showed that his potential was worth the pick. Lovie’s biggest mistake was running his foolish and ineffective Bend But Don’t Break defense…..especially with no ability to stop the run or get pressure on the QB. This defense, in no way, was going to make anyone look special. Pitre looked special, but he had no ducking reason to lead the team in tackles as Safety.

As for Gardner…..he was the top Zone Corner and the Jets defense fit his abilities perfectly. He enjoyed a great rookie season.

This is season 2 for Stingley, so I will hold out hope that Ryans will be the coach that gets the best out of Stingley and justify Lovie’s desire to draft him ahead of Gardner.
No matter how anyone looks at it, Gardner had everything better than Stingley. The only thing Stingley had was his 2019 film, that's it. I highly doubt Lovie wanted Stingley who is strictly or mostly a man corner which is not Lovie's thing. That's more of a BB/Caserio thing.

Not what Lovie said at the time
He stated they need to improve the secondary. All you have to do is look at the guy that have played for him previously. They look more like Sauce than Stingley. It seems posters are trying to dump anyone who didn't work out on Lovie.

He stated they need to improve the secondary. All you have to do is look at the guy that have played for him previously. They look more like Sauce than Stingley. It seems posters are trying to dump anyone who didn't work out on Lovie.
Smith said he was also high on Gardner and his toughness, but thought Stingley was the best fit for Houston.
"I’m a trait guy," Smith said. "Derek can jump as high as anybody. He’s as fast as anyone. He’s a 6-feet corner that will tackle. And when you meet him, he’s confident. ...
"When I met Derek, it just kind of felt right and I saw him being a part of our team. And when you have the third pick, it’s a good chance whatever we want, we’re going to get a chance to do. And that’s how it happened."

link

You should read this

You should read this
I've read that & understand it more as coach-speak. I can't imagine Lovie would have said, "Well, I coach the players I'm given." or anything like that.

But for what we know of the cover 2, the Tampa 2, the antiquated Lovie 2, Gardner is a good fit & his health history makes him a better pick/fit.

Same thing, imo, with Jalen Pitre. The way he played in college, more in the box. Niether Stingley or Pitre look like Tampa 2 DBs. Granted, Pitre looks like a better FS than SS in the NFL. But based on the way he played in college, neither should have been picked for a Cover 2, unless you have a good GM who could see beyond Lovie Smith & built the defense for a guy like DeMeco, making Lovie think it was his idea all along.

jmo

I've read that & understand it more as coach-speak. I can't imagine Lovie would have said, "Well, I coach the players I'm given." or anything like that.
Except it wasn't Lovie speaking in public, it was Lovie talking to a friend that knows football. He also made his observations of how Lovie acted

No matter how anyone looks at it, Gardner had everything better than Stingley. The only thing Stingley had was his 2019 film, that's it. I highly doubt Lovie wanted Stingley who is strictly or mostly a man corner which is not Lovie's thing. That's more of a BB/Caserio thing.
Lovie was at both of their pro days, Caserio wasn't at either of their pro days.

On a side note, Caserio was at Dell's pro day.

Should've drafted Davis and Williams early and worked on the secondary later. BTW, Lovie should get credit for the Petrie/Harris picks.

Neither were at Stroud pro day, yet he was drafted. Caserio has said multiple timed that pro day isn't that valuable to them.

I believe the Texans had their draft strategy in place weeks before the draft. Caserio and Ryans knew they had to remove Stroud from the board to eliminate the competition for a trade with the Cardinals. Had they taken Anderson at 2....might've been a completely different fight to move up to 3. Cardinals would've been fielding offers. The team gave up a lot of draft capital for both Stroud and Anderson, but if both hit, then it'll go down as one of the finer trades in a long time. That might actually be a first for this organization.

I believe the Texans had their draft strategy in place weeks before the draft. Caserio and Ryans knew they had to remove Stroud from the board to eliminate the competition for a trade with the Cardinals. Had they taken Anderson at 2....might've been a completely different fight to move up to 3. Cardinals would've been fielding offers. The team gave up a lot of draft capital for both Stroud and Anderson, but if both hit, then it'll go down as one of the finer trades in a long time. That might actually be a first for this organization.

Mission Statement of New Regime
Got their Franchise QB :logo:
Defensive centerpiece who will hopefully remain a Texan majority/all his career :logo:
Legitmate starting NFL Center :logo:
Playmaking WR unlike any, in this franchise's history :logo:
Player's coach who can walk the walk and talk the talk :logo:
Henry To'oto'o mirror image of a young DeMeco :logo:

Of course DeMeco comment was intuitive reference to old memories nearly 20 years ago (ask me what I did yesterday 😂). So let me do a little fact checking of the two very productive, former Alabama linebackers.

DeMeco 6010 236 8 3/4 hand 31 3/8 arm
ran 4.67/4.66.

To’oto’o 6010 227 10 1/4” hand 32 3/4” arm length, ran 4.62.

I’ve always struggled evaluating Alabama prospects coming into the pros. They don’t always test out well (exceptions to the rule) but well coached and fundamentally sound, all around football skill sets with exceptional character.

DeMeco came to Texans with first pick of the 2nd rd. So obviously a lot higher professional grade (won NFL rookie defensive player of the year 2006). Developed @ ILB put on another 10lbs. But after he tore his acl end of rookie contract, was not resigned and was picked up by Philadelphia Eagles where he fully recovered and became leader on their defense. I was dead opposed to Texans moving on from Ryan’s (they’re thought was liability in coverage) not a happy camper about it either, but time heals all wounds.

To’oto’o should play more of a Will Role or OLB. They could add weight to his frame and obviously also showcase inside versatility (in case of injury) but see him excellent in run defense and above average in coverage. Already possess good recognition and intelligence, expect DeMeco to open up that aspect as well. Texans should have an absolutely outstanding, young LB core, coached by one of the best cerebral LB’s to come along out of the great Alabama Sabin factory. Add last years 3rd. Christian Harris & that combo should be very productive with veterans ILB Denzel Perryman and OLB Christian Kirksey.

In fact, would go on to say LB position will be a strength of this team, go figure, it’s DeMeco Ryan Head Coach after all.

:logo:

Mission Statement of New Regime
Got their Franchise QB :logo:
Defensive centerpiece who will hopefully remain a Texan majority/all his career :logo:
Legitmate starting NFL Center :logo:
Playmaking WR unlike any, in this franchise's history :logo:
Player's coach who can walk the walk and talk the talk :logo:
Henry To'oto'o mirror image of a young DeMeco :logo:
I hear To’oTo’o has been calling out plays on D and very vocal pre snap arranging those around him, very reminiscent of DeMeco who, let’s not forget, immediately assumed the role of leader on the D despite Mario being drafted 1.1 ahead of him. Could be the steal of the draft if he lives up to it. Always mindful of the fluff that we hear this time of year, they all look great at pre season activities.

Back