Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1572563329245.png

Not sure how valid today's practice is..............the team is to take a plane to UK today.............today's practice could be a walk-through.

I'd be very concerned about Conley coming back this soon.................and also Howard coming back from a grade II MCL in 3 weeks.......

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cloak,

Any cause for concern that Fuller still isn’t even limited on the practice field when Roby was the same week of his injury? Does this mean that Fullers injury was much more significant?
If you remember, Fuller started with an oblique and calf injury............was brought back too soon and then sustained a compensatory hamstring...........there is ample reason to be much more conservative in his rehab............more so than Roby

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
JAGUARS WEEK 9 THURSDAY INJURY REPORT

THE JAGS HAVE STILL NOT POSTED THE OFFICIAL INJURY REPORT FOR TODAY.
HERE IS INFO I'VE BEEN ABLE TO GATHER FROM OTHER SOURCES:

CHARD, LAMBO, WESTBROOK ALL REMAINED LIMITED.

CAMPBELL UPGRADED TO LIMITED........WOULD STILL CONSIDER HIM QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY

LINDER UPGRADED TO LIMITED..............STILL CONSIDER HIM QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY

LAMBO UPGRADED TO LIMITED...........
STILL CONSIDER HIM VERY QUESTIONABLE FOR SUNDAY

NORWELL, WILLIAMS, JACOBS, HAYDEN DID NOT PRACTICE................NORWELL SHOWED UP WITH A NEW CALF INJURY..........APPEARS TO BE A COMPENSATORY INJURY TO AN ANKLE SPRAIN WHICH OCCURRED WEEK 7, THAT LIMITED HIM ALL WEEK 8, AND WAS THEN TAKEN OFF THE INJURY FOR THIS INJURY WEDNESDAY THIS WEEK

MINSHEW WAS A FULL PARTICIPANT

OT WILL RICHARDSON JR SHOWED UP ON THE INJURY REPORT TODAY............NEW KNEE INJURY............LIMITED PRACTICE

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Jags have yet to post the updated Thursday official Injury Report..............as of 10:22 pm:vincepalm: [the info I posted above though is accurate]

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1572642196128.png

NO SURPRISES ON THOSE WITH OUT STATUS.

HOWARD IS QUESTIONABLE AND WILL BE A "GAME-TIME DECISION".............HE IS WEARING A LARGE METAL KNEE BRACE..........I WOULD NOT CHANCE HIM TO RETURN BEFORE AFTER THE BYE.

TUNSIL IS QUESTIONABLE AND WILL BE A "GAME-TIME DECISION"............WITH HIS TYPE OF INJURY, HE WILL PROBABLY GET BY PLAYING SUNDAY WITH A SHOULDER HARNESS, BUT IS LIKELY TO BE COMPROMISED.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
JAGUARS WEEK 9 FRIDAY INJURY REPORT

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON THE OFFICIAL JAGUARS INJURY REPORTS.............THEY HAVE YET TO POST THURSDAY'S REPORT, LET ALONE THE FRIDAY REPORT/GAME STATUS

HERE IS WHAT I'VE GATHERED FROM OTHER SOURCES:

JACOBS AND WILLIAMS REMAINED LIMITED...............THEY ARE OUT FOR SUNDAY

HAYDEN IS QUESTIONABLE

WESTBROOK IS QUESTIONABLE...............WITH HIM PLAYING THROUGH THIS INJURY THE LAST SEVERAL WEEKS............3RD CONSECUTIVE WEEK AS QUESTIONABLE.............LAST GAME, HE STARTED..........AND HAD TO LEAVE THE GAME WITH THE SHOULDER/NECK RE-INJURY

NO OTHER PLAYERS HAVE BEEN GIVEN A STATUS...........MEANING THEY ARE EXPECTED TO PLAY..............WITH CAMPBELL, LINDER AND LAMBO PLAYING LIMITED AND NORWELL HAVING NOT PRACTICE YESTERDAY, TODAY'S WALK-THROUGH SHOULDN'T GIVE GREAT CONFIDENCE THAT IF THEY DO PLAY SUNDAY, THEY WILL NOT BE COMPROMISED AND/OR WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THE GAME WITHOUT RE-INJURY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
& if I remember right you said thise braces they wear are basically awkward looking placebos?
My previous post on this subject Studies have shown mixed reviews on their use in preventing/protecting from MCL injuries. They are cumbersome and mobility-limiting.........and players, especially in the NFL do not like wearing them. The only time they MAY help is in a direct blow, right at the knee, directly to the outside portion of the knee.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Something to watch: TY Hilton suffered what appears to be a grade II calf tear in Wednesday's practice and is now in a boot. The Colts have never won a game without Hilton since he entered the NFL in 2012...............0-5.

The team states that Hilton is expected to be out for 3-4 weeks. The Texans next play the Colts on 11/21...............on a Thursday night game.............3 weeks and 1 day following his injury. I would expect Hilton not to return safely before at least 4 weeks, but because of the playoff implications, Hilton may ill-advisedly be pushed to play.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Relating to Brissett's knee injury today, which I called an MCL when it happened..............note that Brissett is wearing a left knee brace. This is a carry over from college where QBs wear a knee brace on their lead leg which is most susceptible to MCL injuries. As I've posted before, these prophylactic braces have mixed reviews. In Brissett's case today, it probably lessened the degree of his left MCL knee injury, but obviously did not prevent it.

Today's game:

1572830473978.png

Early this year

1572830605190.png

Sept 24, 2017

1572830726089.png

At North Carolina State

1572830869497.png

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Is Coutee nursing an injury? Seems odd to have him active but not playing. Was it a case of needed him active for emergency situations only? Or is he in OBs dog house?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
He’s not on the injury report.
Must be in the doghouse. He not only failed to catch a critical pass, he kept it alive long enough to get it picked and ended our chances to win a game. Surely he's not being held out because he's injury prone!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He’s not on the injury report.
Must be in the doghouse. He not only failed to catch a critical pass, he kept it alive long enough to get it picked and ended our chances to win a game. Surely he's not being held out because he's injury prone!

He is not injured. See my previous answer to this question in the Coutee thread: http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/houston-texans-select-4th-round-keke-coutee-wr-texas-tech.113191/post-3013674

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In response to @amazing80 in another thread asking "who do you we get back after the BYE"..............it's a little early yet, but my impression at this very moment.............we get everyone back barring setbacks, except possibly Mancz (who may not be right for awhile, and possibly the rest of the season).............and Fuller for the reason below.

If you remember, Fuller started with an oblique and calf injury............was brought back too soon and then sustained a compensatory hamstring...........there is ample reason to be much more conservative in his rehab............more so than Roby
By "brought him back too soon," he was never shut down after the oblique and calf injury at all.........limited practice the entire following week.........and played the following game............which I said at the time should have never happened.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
For those that are not aware, Clowney has now been on the Injury Report for the past 2 weeks for a "knee." This week, a "toe" has been added to his "knee" on today's report......and he was not able to practice. From what I have been told, his knee is being drained again. With the addition of a compensatory turf toe, his knee will undoubtedly be placed under even more stress.

corry

Waterboy
@CloakNNNdagger

it’s bye week so I feel asking about other teams players that may factor in to the Texans season.

Patrick Mahomes is three weeks removed from his injury this Sunday. What are your thoughts about him returning to action so soon, and possible risk the Chiefs medical staff may be taking?

usernameJJ

Waterboy
Everything I hear and read about knee dislocation says the risk of re-dislocation is great no matter what. Will be interesting to watch for sure

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
@CloakNNNdagger

it’s bye week so I feel asking about other teams players that may factor in to the Texans season.

Patrick Mahomes is three weeks removed from his injury this Sunday. What are your thoughts about him returning to action so soon, and possible risk the Chiefs medical staff may be taking?
The chiefs as it appears will try to bring Mahomes back this week. Smart money would be 4-6 weeks, not 3 weeks.

This is a post I made in response to "if he has surgery"................but it answers other questions.

I addressed this in my main post re. his patella injury..................return to play following surgery is easily 6-9 months...........definitely season-ender...........but good chance to return next season healthy (patella and ankle).

With his left ankle status and right patella status, if he tries to play through it....................even with the extra rest/rehab of his ankle, he still likely won't be able to step into his throws with his left foot totally normally this season (and risks re-injury).............and now he won't be able to plant his right foot without that constant impact which is a major factor leading to re-dislocation...........despite wearing a right patellar knee brace.

With 2 lower limbs injured/compromised, notwithstanding re-injuries, it opens up a whole world of potential compensatory injuries.

Even with all the above said, what I can't predict is, given the option of surgery now or later, how Mahomes and the Chiefs choose to proceed when a final decision has to be made.
Here are my best thoughts in the situation now.

Three weeks is very early for return no matter what. Dislocation risk is high, and each time the patella dislocates or even moves within the brace, it can produce articular cartilage damage on the undersurface of the patella (chondromalacia).........I would be surprised if there is not an element of this already. For anyone who knows someone who has developed patellar chondromalacia , they know how progressively painful and debilitating it becomes.............and there is no very successful treatment for this injury. Continuing activities such as football are especially stressful on an already compromised patella and its cartilage.

And again, this does not even touch on his ongoing combined low and high ankle sprain issues, and how in combination with his patellar issue, it opens up a whole world of potential serious compensatory injuries possible throughout the remainder of the season. And in the end, surgery will be the only wise choice...........it's only a matter of timing, depending if he can make it through the season or not.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Duane Brown who after sustaining a biceps tear first sustained in week 3, and extended in week 5 did not practice until week 8 when he began limited participation and did play that week..............as a result, in week 9, he ended up not only with the biceps but now his knee began giving him significant problems again (remember his previous quad tendon rupture), during that week continuing with limited participation and playing week 9.............this week, he has reverted to not being able to practice at all. His biceps is not keeping him out as he has been performing pull ups for the past week..........his repaired knee is.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Gipson and Fuller practiced today. When Injury Reports begin officially, it will be especially important to see Fuller in Full Participation (with 1 contact practice) throughout the week. I still believe, with Fuller's history, it would be risky for him to come back this soon.
Honestly I don't think it matters how healthy he gets, he just seems to be an injury waiting to happen.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1573699783870.png

I WOULD SAY THAT COLE, HOWARD, AND TUNSIL ARE LIKELY ALL LIMITED STRICTLY FOR "REST"/PRECAUTION.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT FULLER SHOULD PLAY THIS SUNDAY, ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A FULL WEEK OF FULL PARTICIPATION.

GIPSON, BEING UNLISTED FOR HAMSTRING (HIS MOST WORRISOME INJURY) IN THE PAST 3 WEEKS, IS LIKELY TO PLAY SUNDAY BARRING SETBACK WITH HIS BACK.

ROBY, BEING 3 WEEKS OUT FROM A HAMSTRING ON SUNDAY, ALTHOUGH STILL A SHORT REHAB AND LIMITED PROBABLY MOSTLY FOR PRECAUTION, WILL PROBABLY PLAY SUNDAY AS IT'S A CRITICAL GAME AGAINST THE RAVENS.

NOTE THAT LONNIE JOHNSON HAS CLEARED THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOL.

ALSO NOTE THAT MANCZ HAS FINALLY CLEARED THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOL.............HOWEVER, WITH THE LENGTH OF SYMPTOMS HAVING QUALIFIED HIM FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF POST-CONCUSSION SYNDROME, EXPECT HIM TO BE A HIGH RISK FOR ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT CONCUSSION FOR AT LEAST THE REST OF THE SEASON.

FINALLY, AS I'VE POSTED IN THE PAST, PLAYERS HAVING BEEN CONCUSSED HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO CARRY A PROPRENSITY FOR SUBSEQUENT LOWER EXTREMITY INJURIES...........ESPECIALLY IN THE CASE OF MARTIN, HE DOES NOT NEED ANY MORE "HELP" IN THAT CATEGORY.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Doc could you research and comment on the new cornerback pick up of Hargreaves? My research shows he had a shoulder injury in 2018 that eliminated most of the season. Allegedly he was ready to go 2019 & started off first two games really good. I like him as a pick up but the shoulder could have been re-injured.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
RAVENS WEEK 11 WEDNESDAY INJURY REPORT

1573705170849.png

CARR, INGRAM AND SMITH ARE ALL REST/"PRESERVATIVE" ORIENTED. THE RAVENS HAVE HAD A PATTERN OF DOING THIS FOR THEIR WED PRACTICE DAYS, ESPECIALLY FOR VETS...........WOULD EXPECT ALL TO BE THERE SUNDAY

IMPORTANT TO NOTE RE. SMITH............HE SUSTAINED A GRADE 2 MCL TEAR IN GAME 1 AND DID NOT RETURN UNTIL WEEK 9

EARL THOMAS IS BEING RESTED, BUT HIS HISTORY IS TO BE NOTED...............IN DEC 2016, HE SUSTAINED A CLEAN LEFT TIBIA FRACTURE AND DID NOT REQUIRE SURGERY SINCE IT WAS NOT DISPLACED............AND HE THEN WAS PLACED ON IR.........HE RETURNED THE FOLLOWING YEAR WITHOUT APPARENT RESIDUAL..........SEPT 2018, HE AGAIN FRACTURED HIS SAME TIBIA AND THIS TIME REQUIRED SURGERY...........A ROD WAS PLACED THROUGH THE INNER MARROW PORTION OF THE TIBIA TO SUPPORT THE WEAKENED TIBIA (SEE PIC BELOW)................HE MISSED THE REST OF THE SEASON ON IR...........RETURNING THIS SEASON, HIS PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN MUNDANE...........HE SUFFERED AN UNDISCLOSED KNEE INJURY IN WEEK 9............HE HAS MISSED NO GAMES THIS SEASON

1573745646925.png

MICHAEL PIERCE SUSTAINED A HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN LAST GAME............X-RAYS RULED OUT ............HE WILL NOT BE THERE SUNDAY............HE IS ONE THAT DOESN'T BELIEVE IN WORKING ON HIS CONDITIONING...............HE WAS REMOVED FROM THIS PAST MINICAMP BECAUSE OF THIS ATTITUDE..............HE ADMITTED AT THAT TIME THAT HE DOES NOT PROPERLY GET IN SHAPE, ILLUSTRATED BY THE FACT THAT HE SKIPPED THE OFFSEASON CONDITIONING PROGRAM AND VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS.

CHRIS MOORE SUSTAINED AN ULNAR COLLATERAL LIGAMENT THUMB INJURY IN WEEK 9............HE PRACTICED LIMITED LAST WEEK...........BUT MISSED LAST GAME.............FOR A WR, THIS IS A DEBILITATING INJURY........HE IS JUST AS LIKELY AS LAST WEEK TO MISS GAME PLAY

MARQUISE BROWN SUFFERED A LOW ANKLE SPRAIN IN WEEK 5 AND ONLY MISSED THE NEXT 2 GAMES...........IN WEEK 9, HE SUSTAINED A THIGH BRUISE AND ONLY APPEARED ON THE WEEK 10 INJURY REPORT FOR THAT INJURY.

Attachments

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Doc could you research and comment on the new cornerback pick up of Hargreaves? My research shows he had a shoulder injury in 2018 that eliminated most of the season. Allegedly he was ready to go 2019 & started off first two games really good. I like him as a pick up but the shoulder could have been re-injured.
Will try to answer your question tomorrow.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Hargreaves does have a worrisome injury history. He sustained what was reported as a grade 3 hamstring tear week 9 2017..........and was placed on IR. He then sustained a grade 2 groin tear in the first 2018 preseason game...........tried to come back in the third preseason game, and was very apparently slowed. When he came back for game 1 of the 2018 season, he sustained a serious shoulder injury............an MRI revealed a large labrum tear for which he required surgery.............was placed on IR, missing the remaining 15 games of the season. When he came back, he was benched the beginning of OTAs by Arians for "lacking hustle" and "not having his mind right." Part of that could have been being tentative re. his shoulder...........but his apparent "mindset issue" followed him through the 2019 season up until his release. By now, his shoulder should not be a significant factor, but without examining him, I could not entirely separate the two concerns.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Hargreaves does have a worrisome injury history. He sustained what was reported as a grade 3 hamstring tear week 9 2017..........and was placed on IR. He then sustained a grade 2 groin tear in the first 2018 preseason game...........tried to come back in the third preseason game, and was very apparently slowed. When he came back for game 1 of the 2018 season, he sustained a serious shoulder injury............an MRI revealed a large labrum tear for which he required surgery.............was placed on IR, missing the remaining 15 games of the season. When he came back, he was benched the beginning of OTAs by Arians for "lacking hustle" and "not having his mind right." Part of that could have been being tentative re. his shoulder...........but his apparent "mindset issue" followed him through the 2019 season up until his release. By now, his shoulder should not be a significant factor, but without examining him, I could not entirely separate the two concerns.
You are most definitely a board asset Mr CnnnD!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1573769543123.png

ALL THOSE THAT RESTED YESTERDAY, RETURNED TO FULL PARTICIPATION TODAY

PIERCE REMAINED A NON PARTICIPANT AND , AS I PREVIOUSLY POSTED, WILL NOT PLAY SUNDAY

BROWN NOT PARTICIPATING TODAY, HAS NOT FOLLOWED HIS LIMITED PARTICIPATION PATTERN OF PAST WEEKS..................IF HE DOESN'T PRACTICE TOMORROW, WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED THAT HE IS SEEN ON THE STATUS REPORT AT LEAST AS QUESTIONABLE

BRANDON WILLIAMS RESTED AND ENDED UP ON THE INJURY REPORT TODAY AS SUCH

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1573854932541.png

TUNSIL IS QUESTIONABLE, BUT I BELIEVE HE HAS A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF PLAYING.

FULLER, GIPSON AND ROBY ARE ALL QUESTIONABLE................I WOULD NOT PLAY FULLER..............MY IMPRESSIONS FROM WEDNESDAY'S INJURY REPORT REMAIN UNCHANGED ON GIPSON AND ROBY...............GIPSON MORE LIKELY TO PLAY THAN ROBY.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
THE FRIDAY RAVENS INJURY STATUS REPORT HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED OFFICIALLY, BUT HERE IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND OUT:

DT MICHAEL PIERCE (ANKLE)........DID NOT PARTICIPATE TODAY..........DOUBTFUL............AS I'VE POSTED PREVIOUSLY, HE WON'T PLAY

WR MARQUISE BROWN (ANKLE)...........LIMITED PARTICIPATION.............QUESTIONABLE (AS I PREDICTED).............THIS BEING AN INJURY THAT HE HAS DEALT WITH TRYING TO PLAY THROUGH UNTIL LAST WEEK, IF HE DOES RETURN AND PLAY, AS A WR WOULD EXPECT HIM TO BE COMPROMISED, AND SIGNIFICANT RISK FOR RE-INJURY

WR CHRIS MOORE (THUMB).........LIMITED PARTICIPATION............QUESTIONABLE...........DOUBT THAT HE PLAYS

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Doc, if you’ve answered this already I apologize for asking but multiple Ravens are listed with NIR under injury. What is NIR?