Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Injury Thread

CloakNNNdagger

Site Contributor
Fuller and Roby have been ruled out and did not travel to Baltimore with the team.
I feel comfortable with these decisions.........from yesterday's post:

FULLER, GIPSON AND ROBY ARE ALL QUESTIONABLE................I WOULD NOT PLAY FULLER..............MY IMPRESSIONS FROM WEDNESDAY'S INJURY REPORT REMAIN UNCHANGED ON GIPSON AND ROBY...............GIPSON MORE LIKELY TO PLAY THAN ROBY.

CloakNNNdagger

Site Contributor
Doc ... did you see the injury to Tua Tagovailoa ? I have a bad feeling about his condition .
I did..........a bad injury at very least. Even if all he had was a simple posterior hip dislocation, that would involve the tear of 2 major ligament. If they are able to relocate the hip by manipulation and there is no other damage than the ligaments, healing will take no less than 3-4 months to return to any practice........and he will likely be left with some looseness/instability of the joint, with risk of redislocation and injury to other structures. Many times with there is a posterior dislocation, the labrum (the cartilaginous rim of the socket [acetabulum] of the hip joint is damaged), requiring surgery. If there is a fracture of the boney rim or fracture of the neck of the ball (head of the femur) of the joint, manual relocation should not be performed and there should be open surgery to correct the damage.......otherwise even more damage to the joint structures are probably. The ball of the joint has poor blood supply and if relocation is delayed too much (>6 hours) or a fracture at the neck (where the only blood supply to the ball comes through) is present, the ball can gangrene (avascular necrosis). If this occurs, hip replacement is the next step. Finally, nerve damage is always a possibility (sciatic nerve). Depending on what is found on x-ray and CT scan, his prognosis will be better understood. If surgery is indicated, return to play would not be before 9-12 months. But his injury could definitely be career threatening/ending.

1573943478834.png

1573943530322.png

1573945022299.png

1573943657961.png

Last edited:

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I did..........a bad injury at very least. Even if all he had was a simple posterior hip dislocation, that would involve the tear of 2 major ligament. If they are able to relocate the hip by manipulation and there is no other damage than the ligaments, healing will take no less than 3-4 months to return to any practice........and he will likely be left with some looseness/instability of the joint, with risk of redislocation and injury to other structures. Many times with there is a posterior dislocation, the labrum (the cartilaginous rim of the socket [acetabulum] of the hip joint is damaged), requiring surgery. If there is a fracture of the boney rim or fracture of the neck of the ball (head of the femur) of the joint, manual relocation should not be performed and there should be open surgery to correct the damage.......otherwise even more damage to the joint structures are probably. The ball of the joint has poor blood supply and if relocation is delayed too much or a displaced fracture at the neck is present, the ball can gangrene (avascular necrosis). If this occurs, hip replacement is the next step. Depending on what is found on x-ray and MRI, his prognosis will be better understood. But his injury could definitely be career threatening/ending.

View attachment 4868

View attachment 4869

View attachment 4870
I don't know if it means anything but he left in a helicopter .

DocBar

Hall of Fame
I did..........a bad injury at very least. Even if all he had was a simple posterior hip dislocation, that would involve the tear of 2 major ligament. If they are able to relocate the hip by manipulation and there is no other damage than the ligaments, healing will take no less than 3-4 months to return to any practice........and he will likely be left with some looseness/instability of the joint, with risk of redislocation and injury to other structures. Many times with there is a posterior dislocation, the labrum (the cartilaginous rim of the socket [acetabulum] of the hip joint is damaged), requiring surgery. If there is a fracture of the boney rim or fracture of the neck of the ball (head of the femur) of the joint, manual relocation should not be performed and there should be open surgery to correct the damage.......otherwise even more damage to the joint structures are probably. The ball of the joint has poor blood supply and if relocation is delayed too much or a fracture at the neck (where the only blood supply to the ball comes through) is present, the ball can gangrene (avascular necrosis). If this occurs, hip replacement is the next step. Finally, nerve damage is always a possibility (sciatic nerve). Depending on what is found on x-ray and MRI, his prognosis will be better understood. If surgery is indicated, return to play would not be before 9-12 months. But his injury could definitely be career threatening/ending.

View attachment 4868

View attachment 4869

View attachment 4871

View attachment 4870
not sure that posters know what you mean by "open" surgery. I waited nearly 20 years for artheroscopic surgery for femoralacetabular impingement surgery via closed..

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I did..........a bad injury at very least. Even if all he had was a simple posterior hip dislocation, that would involve the tear of 2 major ligament. If they are able to relocate the hip by manipulation and there is no other damage than the ligaments, healing will take no less than 3-4 months to return to any practice........and he will likely be left with some looseness/instability of the joint, with risk of redislocation and injury to other structures. Many times with there is a posterior dislocation, the labrum (the cartilaginous rim of the socket [acetabulum] of the hip joint is damaged), requiring surgery. If there is a fracture of the boney rim or fracture of the neck of the ball (head of the femur) of the joint, manual relocation should not be performed and there should be open surgery to correct the damage.......otherwise even more damage to the joint structures are probably. The ball of the joint has poor blood supply and if relocation is delayed too much or a fracture at the neck (where the only blood supply to the ball comes through) is present, the ball can gangrene (avascular necrosis). If this occurs, hip replacement is the next step. Finally, nerve damage is always a possibility (sciatic nerve). Depending on what is found on x-ray and MRI, his prognosis will be better understood. If surgery is indicated, return to play would not be before 9-12 months. But his injury could definitely be career threatening/ending.

View attachment 4868

View attachment 4869

View attachment 4871

View attachment 4870
Not that I fully understand this, but I'm sad for Tua. This possibly has cost him millions. When he gets drafted next yr (He should come out.) he probably should sit out his rookie season? Am I correct?

PolarBear

Rookie
Avascular necrosis - I remember reading that diagnosis on Bo Jackson after his hip injury getting tackled while sprinting down the sidelines, resulting in a hip replacement...which ended is NFL career and severely limited is MLB career. I certainly hope and pray that isn't the future for Tua...

CloakNNNdagger

Site Contributor
Avascular necrosis - I remember reading that diagnosis on Bo Jackson after his hip injury getting tackled while sprinting down the sidelines, resulting in a hip replacement...which ended is NFL career and severely limited is MLB career. I certainly hope and pray that isn't the future for Tua...
Jackson had a displaced fracture at the neck of the femur...............that would have destroyed any blood supply to the ball (head of the femur).................pics in my previous post for orientation of blood supply.

1574009906413.png

Although a significantly lesser chance with the information I have so far re. Tua, it is still possible without such a fracture and may be delayed and not develop until a little later down the line.