Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Groin injuries are not typically measured in "days" of recovery. I expect that Miller will not be out there practicing.
I was expecting as much. I think they should give him good time to heal up and be ready for the season, but as a rookie and 1 year receiver, he needs all the reps he can get.

Wolfiegrrl

Fan of NFC Seahawks & AFC Texans
I know the Texans medical staff are trying to hydrate the players with Gaterade and IV bags, but could the amount of practices in that heat index be causing the players not to recover as quickly? It seems to me that 120 degree weather with the heat index would cause more than just dehydration. Seems like these "tweeks" are getting a lot of guys, and not just new guys. Why not play it more safe and head inside? Do we really think playing in the heat is going to make these guys better? I get that our first two games are at home, but the roof will be closed. So.... why not train a few more days a week inside?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Groin injuries are not typically measured in "days" of recovery. I expect that Miller will not be out there practicing.
If the TExans medical staff handles the Miller injury correctly (Doubtful) about how much time should Miller miss? Will he miss preseason game time?

Any word on Martin?

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Might as well give up on Clowney. He's never going to be able to stay on the field. He's our just punishment for trying to draft BPA when we had specific needs.
Clowney isn't injured. He and Martin were given the days off because of the reps they have taken so far in camp. They are being given a break so their bodies can recover. Both want to be out there practicing. It's a coaching decision.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Clowney isn't injured. He and Martin were given the days off because of the reps they have taken so far in camp. They are being given a break so their bodies can recover. Both want to be out there practicing. It's a coaching decision.
How did you find that out?

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
How did you find that out?
Considering Clowney is a regular customer at the shop I work at, comes in twice a week to get his 3 vehicles washed, I talk to him quite a bit. Also, press releases that the team has put out. Just look at the press releases.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Considering Clowney is a regular customer at the shop I work at, comes in twice a week to get his 3 vehicles washed, I talk to him quite a bit. Also, press releases that the team has put out. Just look at the press releases.
Hahaha you're going to fit in just fine here.

http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Lamar-Miller-Jadeveon-Clowney-given-day-9127538.php

starting running back Lamar Miller was sidelined at practice Sunday morning, one day after appearing to mildly injure his ankle before getting retaped and finishing practice.

Miller attended practice, but was held out of drills along with outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien characterized the inactivity to giving both players a rest rather than because of an injury. Clowney has been frequently injured in the past, but that isn't the case this time and he's been healthy throughout camp and off to an impressive start.

"Just a day off," O'Brien said. "Day off for both of those guys. Just trying to monitor how many reps they get and really just try to do that with a number of different guys. Different guys will get days off here and there and just try to monitor."

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The article quoted above was from Aug 7.

Today Clowney and Martin did not practice because of injuries. Good thing they were "precautionary" and "not serious" and evidently neither is expected to be life threatening.

Sarah Barshop ‏@sarahbarshop 23m23 minutes ago

O'Brien said Jadeveon Clowney and Nick Martin were held out of practice for "precautionary reasons, and their injuries were "not serious."

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So you're taking a tweet from the newb over a direct quote from OB?
Both were quotes taken from OB.........taken at different days...........as there is no reason to believe that Barshop's report is inaccurate, I would take the last one as the most recent "status" until otherwise proven, especially since last week already included nonpractice rest period.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' Jadeveon Clowney, Nick Martin out with injuries
By Aaron Wilson

Published 11:39 am, Monday, August 8, 2016

For the second consecutive day, Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney and rookie center Nick Martin were held out of practice due to unspecified injuries.

Neither injury is deemed serious, according to Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

"I think we're just for precautionary reasons just watching both those guys," O'Brien said following an indoor practice Monday morning. "It's nothing that's serious, but I think rest will help them."

Clowney has dealt with a myriad of injuries since being drafted first overall out of South Carolina, including undergoing microfracture knee surgery as a rookie and having his meniscus repaired [a misstatement, as the torn segment of his meniscus was removed, not repaired] and dealing with a concussion as a rookie.

Last season, he missed time with a foot injury and a back injury and played in a career-high 14 games while recording 4 1/2 sacks.

Clowney lost weight before this season, getting down to 265 pounds from 284 pounds and has taken up yoga to increase his flexibility and try to prevent injuries.

Meanwhile, defensive lineman Christian Covington remains sidelined with a concussion and is in the NFL mandatory concussion protocol. Offensive tackle Derek Newton and inside linebacker Reshard Cliett are still out with strained hamstrings.

Pro Bowl defensive end J.J. Watt (herniated disc surgery) and Pro Bowl alternate offensive tackle Duane Brown (quadriceps surgery) are still on the physically unable to perform list.

Reserve safety Lonnie Ballentine, who had knee surgery last season, is getting close to being activated from the physically unable to perform list.

Last edited:

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Well I haven't spoken with JD since Friday. Guess he tweaked something Saturday. Hope it's not serious.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Well I haven't spoken with JD since Friday. Guess he tweaked something Saturday. Hope it's not serious.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
One thing about this board is that sometimes it's slow to post comments or fails to show that your comment posted leading to double posts. If you hit post reply and nothing appears to happen, refresh and more than likely your comment will be there

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
One thing about this board is that sometimes it's slow to post comments or fails to show that your comment posted leading to double posts. If you hit post reply and nothing appears to happen, refresh and more than likely your comment will be there
Discovered that. Thanks though.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yes, but your post will remain in the text block and I've found no way to remove it except by posting a new comment.
That's weird. Once I hit refresh the post shows up at the end of the thread and there isn't anything in the text block.

Reactions: JB

Number19

Hall of Fame
That's weird. Once I hit refresh the post shows up at the end of the thread and there isn't anything in the text block.
Just to make sure we're on the same page: I write a post and then "post reply". This process will go on on on with no indication of completion. I'll then hit refresh and find the comment has posted. But the first time, a while back, when I went to post a new reply, I found my previous post still in the message dialog box. I had to delete it before posting my new comment. Now, if I remember correctly, I tried to delete a double post without actually posting it as a reply and was unable to do so. So what I now do to the second, double post is to erase it, type "delete double post" and then post this delete message. Everything is now back to normal. Maybe there's another way to get around all this snafu, but once I found my solution I quit looking for it.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Just to make sure we're on the same page: I write a post and then "post reply". This process will go on on on with no indication of completion. I'll then hit refresh and find the comment has posted. But the first time, a while back, when I went to post a new reply, I found my previous post still in the message dialog box. I had to delete it before posting my new comment. Now, if I remember correctly, I tried to delete a double post without actually posting it as a reply and was unable to do so. So what I now do to the second, double post is to erase it, type "delete double post" and then post this delete message. Everything is now back to normal. Maybe there's another way to get around all this snafu, but once I found my solution I quit looking for it.
Okay, that's different than the way my brain interpreted what you posted before. You're right on the double post thing. You're kind of stuck with the duplicate post; i.e., all you can do is edit it to say "duplicate" or whatever.

Now I have changed my mind about posts and used the "Delete Post" option (click Delete Post then refresh the page and the unwanted post is gone) but that hasn't worked on the duplicate post issue.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Griffin is not practicing, but the reports say that due to his rehabbing Achilles, O'Brien is giving him 1 day off per week. But the whole team gets Wednesdays off.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
This sounds more and more consistent with knee swelling. Hope not. But would not surprise me.
This sounds more and more like the organization is trying to fool us as usual. But it sounds like they have failed to, for once. Bye, JC, it was nice having you as a major player on this team.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
One additional thought on what might be causing Clowney's "undisclosed injury." Clowney suffered a Lisfranc injury to his foot on 12/27/15. According to reports, surgery was not necessary since there was no significant instability of the joint (instability being a definite indication for the surgical route). The problem with many of these lesser Lisfranc injuries treated conservatively (which is appropriate) is that aggravation/re-injury is not all that uncommon, especially when the joint(s) are put to the test again and severely stressed again. It took Maurice Jones Drew 8 months to get through several setbacks (whenever he pushed to participate in stressful pre-football activities) conservatively rehabbing his Lisfranc injury before finally being able to run and avoid re-injury.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
One additional thought on what might be causing Clowney's "undisclosed injury." Clowney suffered a Lisfranc injury to his foot on 12/27/15. According to reports, surgery was not necessary since there was no significant instability of the joint (instability being a definite indication for the surgical route). The problem with many of these lesser Lisfranc injuries treated conservatively (which is appropriate) is that aggravation/re-injury is not all that uncommon, especially when the joint(s) are put to the test again and severely stressed again. It took Maurice Jones Drew 8 months to get through several setbacks (whenever he pushed to participate in stressful football activities) conservatively rehabbing his Lisfranc injury before finally being able to run and avoid re-injury.
Clowney has had almost 9 months to rehab his foot.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Clowney has had almost 9 months to rehab his foot.
I understand, but he has only maximally tested his foot recently. And Jone-Drew was only one example of problems linked to Lisfranc injuries. Certainly even once properly rehabbed, re-injury can occur for the same reason that it happened to begin with...........most don't appreciate the little amount of force required to disrupt the Lisfranc complex........a simple twist, awkward step...........all much more common when there are already significant core and lower extremity issues present that can produce disturbances in mechanics leading to compensatory poor posturing.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Just heard McClain on 610 say that Clowney has been running during the missed practices. Not sure how much it helps in trying to figure out what his injury might be.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This sounds more and more like the organization is trying to fool us as usual. But it sounds like they have failed to, for once. Bye, JC, it was nice having you as a major player on this team.
I don't think they're trying to fool "us."

However, if there is something wrong with Jd's knee again, you can be sure the media will run with it & it'll be a distraction we really don't need right now.