Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

Mangler

Toro de España
We can always hope for "heat stroke" instead of true injury since the reason for the cart has not been definitively characterized.
Hmmm. Heat stroke is probably just as bad considering we have like what, 3 more months of blistering heat in Houston. But hopefully it is just a heat related thing like heat exhaustion/stress. A friend of mine suffered heat stroke, and he can't handle hot temperature anymore.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 44m

JJ Watt 'successful surgery, took a bunch of crap out of my back"

JJ Watt 'I got to listen to the docs with this. I jogged today. I feel good'

JJ Watt 'I have the mindset to play game one. If they say I'm not ready, I won't' still has stitches in his back now

JJ Watt on back 'don't see it as a problem" said he can't promise he won't miss a game possibly but has never missed one, doesn't plan to

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Jeff Adams has passed his physical. He's coming off a bad injury for a big man......a patellar tendon rupture a year ago. We'll have to see how it leaves him performance- wise.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Newton just had an MRI and it is felt that he will be out "at least a few weeks." In a big man like Newton, I would expect him to be out no less than 3 weeks, with a significant risk for re-injury the remainder of the season, specifically if he is allowed to return too early. He's already dealt with major lower extremity injuries in the past. And last year, he dealt with ankle, toe and knee injuries throughout the season.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Newton just had an MRI and it is felt that he will be out "at least a few weeks." In a big man like Newton, I would expect him to be out no less than 3 weeks, with a significant risk for re-injury the remainder of the season, specifically if he is allowed to return too early. He's already dealt with major lower extremity injuries in the past. And last year, he dealt with ankle, toe and knee injuries throughout the season.
This was something I did not want to hear as Newton needed to have a healthy season. Thanks for update Doc. Sure wished we had something behind cookie man.

vupac1

Waterboy
Perfect. As if the JJ situation wasn't bad enough, we now start camp with 0 starting tackles too.
Time for Rick to work the phones and get some OL depth in here asap

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I dunno, what about Wade Smith ? He was basically a guard for us before his retirerment a couple years ago, but he also had tackle experience with the Chiefs before coming to us in FA.
I was hoping we'd draft atleast one OT in the just concluded Draft, but even 3 Drafts in Billy is yet to draft a single OT. He drafts guards and centers but not tackles ?

vupac1

Waterboy
I dunno, what about Wade Smith ? He was basically a guard for us before his retirerment a couple years ago, but he also had tackle experience with the Chiefs before coming to us in FA.
I was hoping we'd draft atleast one OT in the just concluded Draft, but even 3 Drafts in Billy is yet to draft a single OT. He drafts guards and centers but not tackles ?
Take it for what its worth, but Wade Smith guests on MADD radio and I always hear the guys comment on how they can't get over how much smaller he is now that's stopped playing...

Porky

Hall of Fame
Wade Smith's ship has sailed. No way he is coming back. They will pick up a journeyman I'm sure. Hopefully Newt is back for game 1. If there is any solace in this, it's in the fact it occurred on day one allowing max rehab time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wade Smith's ship has sailed. No way he is coming back. They will pick up a journeyman I'm sure. Hopefully Newt is back for game 1. If there is any solace in this, it's in the fact it occurred on day one allowing max rehab time.
This post would be comforting, except from the day Newton got paid he's mostly stunk.

Porky

Hall of Fame
This post would be comforting, except from the day Newton got paid he's mostly stunk.
Stunk? I don't know about that, but he has been mediocre on occasion, especially against the pass rush. However, he's our best option at RT and is at worst quite serviceable overall. I was hoping to see some improvement this year in pass blocking.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stunk? I don't know about that, but he has been mediocre on occasion, especially against the pass rush. However, he's our best option at RT and is at worst quite serviceable overall. I was hoping to see some improvement this year in pass blocking.
Well after the Chiefs game, I'm pretty sure we have different definitions of the words mediocre and serviceable. He was pretty bad all season and was a turnstile in the playoff game. The fact that Newton is the best McNair has should be troubling. (If you choose to care about these type of things.)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Well after the Chiefs game, I'm pretty sure we have different definitions of the words mediocre and serviceable. He was pretty bad all season and was a turnstile in the playoff game. The fact that Newton is the best McNair has should be troubling. (If you choose to care about these type of things.)
As Doc has mentioned many times Newton has been injured.

Love how you put Newton on McNair instead of OB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As Doc has mentioned many times Newton has been injured.

Love how you put Newton on McNair instead of OB.
He's constantly injured except in his contract yr. Coincidence?

And yes, after McNair reupped Rick, I'm blaming him for signings like Newton because if he had a problem with re-signing a guy like Newton he wouldn't have reupped Smith.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
He's constantly injured except in his contract yr. Coincidence?
You can hash that one out with Doc.

And yes, after McNair reupped Rick, I'm blaming him for signings like Newton because if he had a problem with re-signing a guy like Newton he wouldn't have reupped Smith.
Except OB 1st decides who he wants to keep. They don't re-sign UFAs the HC doesn't want.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Not drafting an OT looked like a mistake at the time and now with Newton out it's even smelling like one.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans kept linebacker Reshard Cliett out of practice today as precautionary measure with tight hamstring. Would rather not see any lower limb injury following rehab of a torn ACL and lateral meniscus, let alone one so early.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With the Houston Texans on their scheduled day off, here are some early thoughts on the team through five days of training camp.

It has been a full five days for the Houston Texans to get a feel for their team in training camp. Like all training camps, things start to separate and are quickly looked at as a positive or a negative. Traits and attributes must be looked at quickly and put into terms of pros and cons due to the short amount of time NFL teams have to address needs.

The Texans are not immune to injuries, with J.J. Watt and Duane Brown entering camp on the PUP list, while Derek Newton went down with a hamstring injury which will keep him out for a few weeks, there have also been small nagging injuries to players throughout camp but fortunately for the team, nothing of real note for the time being.

What have we learned early about the Texans?

The Texans offense is a work in progress but every day that they have taken the field as a team, they have improved. Brock Osweiler is settling into his role as the quarterback and the same can be said about Lamar Miller at the running back position. Both are learning a new scheme and verbiage under Bill O’Brien. It has been a progression but, at the moment, there is no real alarm early for the group.

The tight end position appears to be set with Ryan Griffin, C.J. Fiedorowicz and Stephen Anderson. Camp is helping the group iron out wrinkles and previewing how the Texans will used the trio but it still feels like Griffin and Fiedorowicz will be the primary options during the season with some Anderson sprinkled in there. Anderson has been the early story because he is new and providing hope to a position group that has struggled for over two seasons.

The wide receiving corps is probably the most talented group on the field for the Texans and it starts with DeAndre Hopkins who is clearly the linchpin of the offense. Add in what Jaelen Strong, Braxton Miller and Will Fuller V have put together early in camp and the arrow is pointing up for the group despite their youth. They are pushing the veteran defensive backs and giving them fits with their speed and solid route running.

It is hard to feel good about the direction of the offensive tackles and defensive line for the Texans. Let us be the first to say that the interior of the offensive line with Nick Martin, Xavier Su'a-Filo and Jeff Allen are in good hands. All three have shown in padded practices that they can move the line of scrimmage. As for the offensive tackle situation, the injuries of Brown and Newton puts others into the spotlight and the team potentially has Chris Clark, Jeff Adams and Kendall Lamm holding down the fort until the two veterans get healthy. That alone is a concerning factor, especially with the amount of time Osweiler will need to get the necessary offensive looks.

Without J.J. Watt, the Texans defensive line, outside of Vince Wilfork, is total guesswork. Everyone is making noise in training camp but Devon Still, Christian Covington, Brandon Dunn and Jeoffrey Pagan still have so much to show. If they do not get to where they need to be, the Texans front is a big question mark moving later into the preseason. They have had their bright spots from time to time but, until seeing them against other competition, further evaluation is guesswork.

Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus and John Simon are a solid trio and they continue to show it in training camp. All three are picking up where they left off last season but Clowney has been the real story of camp. He has shown a knack for being able to turn up his play and has had a handful of splash plays early.

In the secondary, Kevin Johnson has been struggling while A.J. Bouye has been impressing. Johnson is working his way back from an off-season that saw him have multiple surgeries and now, he is working to shake the rust off. If anything, it looks like Johnson is trying to control his aggression in coverage. Bouye, on the other hand, has cut down on being so touchy with receivers in routes and has also become more patient when attacking the ball in the air. Bouye’s best day came on Thursday, when he controlled everything thrown his way. He is doing things in this training camp that he did not do at all last year.

There is only one week left for the Texans to work before they head to Santa Clara to visit the San Francisco 49ers for their first preseason game. It is getting closer to the start and closer to the time when the Texans unveil their product on the field.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Scouring the NFL team injury reports during TC, I find it odd that the Texans are virtually the only team that does not characterize injuries (ala, Covington and Howard).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Better late than never................Covington has sustained a concussion and is presently in the NFL Concussion Protocol.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Lamar Miller left for the sidelines early in practice today after supposedly suffering a "minor" ankle tweak......being played down by O'Brien.

bayoudreamn

Rookie
Training camp is always good for some unfortunate injury. It is a grind and you just have to keep your fingers crossed.