Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If we’re below .500 by mid season, and our O-line is still terrible...

Mangler

Toro de España
Would the Head Coach have enough sense to shut Watson down for the rest season? That is, if Watson is getting pounded out there just like he did in 2018 and we don’t catch all those lucky breaks we caught in 2018?

Or, do you guys think he’ll continue to let Watson go out there and get killed? Because “he can turn it around because he’s a winner?” -O’Brien (Extremely likely)

Let’s say our record is 2-6 going into bye week.

He will let Watson start as long as he can stand... be silly not to after last year
What’s sillier is trying to salvage a season that is going nowhere fast, and get our franchise quarterback destroyed both physically and mentally. But maybe that’s what it would take for Cal to finally say he’s seen enough of this (long) failed Patriots 2.0 experiment.

What’s sillier is trying to salvage a season that is going nowhere fast, and get our franchise quarterback destroyed both physically and mentally. But maybe that’s what it would take for Cal to finally say he’s seen enough of this (long) failed Patriots 2.0 experiment.

I know of no coach that would sit their franchise QB because of the O-line

It don't matter if fans have given the season up

That is true. Man, I feel so bad for Watson. Hopefully they get him some decent protection in this draft or via UDFA. He’s a good kid.

By the way, the thread is not about benching him because of the o-line. It’s about let’s say a 2-6 record going into the bye, with our O-line performing terribly not giving Watson any time and him getting beat up repeatedly. Still, it probably wouldn’t make abdifference...sad.

At best, we see players come up with mystery injuries or even real ones that they might play through during the last month or so where a QB might "sit"

At best, we see players come up with mystery injuries or even real ones that they might play through during the last month or so where a QB might "sit"

Yeah, last 1/4 of season maybe... not mid-point

It's called Job security/self preservation.. Why the hell would Bill O'Brien bench the one guy who can miraculously save his job? Reason why even Mike Shanahan put his own future above and risked Robert Griffin's future when everyone and their grandmother knew the guy was injured and shouldn't be playing.. then the knee finally gave. Chuck Pagano did the same crap with Andrew Luck.. desperation is a stinky cologne.

Bill O'Brien won't even think about benching Watson (if he can drag himself out on the field), hell even if mathematically eliminated he most likely will still play him.

So to answer the O.P.s question.. No I don't think O'Brien has enough sense, but in a win or go league he isn't alone.

Last edited:
That is true. Man, I feel so bad for Watson. Hopefully they get him some decent protection in this draft or via UDFA. He’s a good kid.

By the way, the thread is not about benching him because of the o-line. It’s about let’s say a 2-6 record going into the bye, with our O-line performing terribly not giving Watson any time and him getting beat up repeatedly. Still, it probably wouldn’t make abdifference...sad.

BOB did play Watson with a punctured lung and 3 broken ribs last yr, so there's your answer. I too feel bad for Watson.

If they dont get the OL fixed this yr I would fire all of them BOB/Gaine/The Janitor etc... Watson deserves better, better as in not getting sacked 62 times and getting the crap beaten out of him on a weekly basis better.

Plus, haven't we seen this story already play out? If you go back and watch the game against the Seahawks Watson's rookie season, I think that's where Watson injured his knee.. Instead of giving his knee time to heal and protecting the future of the franchise (and this was a guy he didn't even want to start as a rookie), the Texans kept him active and he ended up tearing the compromised knee on non contact in a following practice. That right there already answers the question for me.. Hell the guy still played last year when he couldn't even board a plane.

BOB did play Watson with a punctured lung and 3 broken ribs last yr, so there's your answer. I too feel bad for Watson.

If they dont get the OL fixed this yr I would fire all of them BOB/Gaine/The Janitor etc... Watson deserves better, better as in not getting sacked 62 times and getting the crap beaten out of him on a weekly basis better.

Damn.. pinch/poke/coke.

Also this can and has been expanded past Watson..

Should Watt have been playing with so many damn core/back injuries?.. yet they let him.

Should we have taken the shortcut by slicing Andre's Hamstring thus allowing him to return to the field instead of shutting him down? Andre Johnson while still good was never quite the same player after that. This team has always historically done a horrible job at protecting their players and it predates O'Brien's tenure.

Last edited:
It will definitely help if he has a full receiver corp as well.
Last season was a perfect storm of things to go wrong for Watson.
It will also help if Watson himself can look for more dink and dunks instead of the big play quite so often.

Yeah, much of that was on Watson... kid is learning hopefully

Should Watt have been playing with so many damn core/back injuries.. yet they let him.

Should we have taken the shortcut by slicing Andre's Hamstring thus allowing him to return to the field instead of shutting him down? Andre Johnson while still good was never quite the same player after that. This team has always historically done a horrible job at protecting their players and it predates O'Brien's tenure.

Texans medical staff is second to many imo

Should Watt have been playing with so many damn core/back injuries.. yet they let him.

OB has a bad habit of rushing players back. Foster was another example. It was unfortunate the whole offense revolved ariund him at the time.
Sure, it's nice to get wins for the team but you got to look to the future as well. Perhaps he doesn't think he has one here unless he gets those wins.

It would help if OB would help... moving the pocket, quicker routes, decent running game etc.
Hell I don’t even remember so much as changing the snap count. I’m sure we did occasionally but does anyone remember us doing it with the intention of drawing the defense off sides? He does nothing scheme wise to help the offense except to leave TEs or extra OT in to block. He has no imagination.

Hell I don’t even remember so much as changing the snap count. I’m sure we did occasionally but does anyone remember us doing it with the intention of drawing the defense off sides? He does nothing scheme wise to help the offense except to leave TEs or extra OT in to block. He has no imagination.

Well they should go ask the Colts how that's done, because they sure ate our lunch (Clowney) with it last season. :)

Should Watt have been playing with so many damn core/back injuries?.. yet they let him.

I still remember that play in the playoffs when he put JJ in on offense. I think he injured himself more. I don't understand why McNair didn't fire OB right then and there. lol

You dont know anything about changing of the snap count.

It's hard to be creative with Davenport/Lamm as your OT's.

I still remember that play in the playoffs when he put JJ in on offense. I think he injured himself more. I don't understand why McNair didn't fire OB right then and there. lol

I remember how stupid I thought that play was before it was ran, seeing as how Watt was playing hurt to begin with. I told my buddy who was at the game with me at the time.

Would the Head Coach have enough sense to shut Watson down for the rest season? That is, if Watson is getting pounded out there just like he did in 2018 and we don’t catch all those lucky breaks we caught in 2018?

Or, do you guys think he’ll continue to let Watson go out there and get killed? Because “he can turn it around because he’s a winner?” -O’Brien (Extremely likely)

Let’s say our record is 2-6 going into bye week.
OK so let's forget about the hypotheticals, what would you have done with a 0-3 start to a season ?

To your first statement??????

To your second. BS. There are many things you can do to slow down pass rush. S far as I could tell the only thing OB did was add an extra player to help.

You said creative.

Suck=Suck and there's no way to scheme around suck.

I never want a coach that will call it quits prematurely on a season.

Hypothetical coach speech, "He guys, we're 2-6. I know we're only 3 games back of 1st in the division, with 8 games to play... but the offensive line sucks and eventually DeShaun will get hurt. So I'm going to bench him for the rest of the season, as well as Nuk, JJ & JD. The rest of you, continue to play, but not too hard. Staying healthy is what's important."

Coaches & players that give up when things aren't exactly going their way. Yah, that's exactly what I want. *sarcasm*

Hypothetical coach speech, "He guys, we're 2-6. I know we're only 3 games back of 1st in the division, with 8 games to play... but the offensive line sucks and eventually DeShaun will get hurt. So I'm going to bench him for the rest of the season, as well as Nuk, JJ & JD. The rest of you, continue to play, but not too hard. Staying healthy is what's important."

Coaches & players that give up when things aren't exactly going their way. Yah, that's exactly what I want. *sarcasm*

WTF was his name that quit on a college team and then a NFL team and where is he now?

Nobody is talking about benching players just, because we're losing.. However if we're out of it and we clearly can't protect our QB out on the field to the amount of sacks/injuries that he had last season then the conversation needs to be had.. Or do we just sit and welcome another Andrew Luck/Cam Newton situation.

And protecting the future of cornerstone players in a lost injury riddled season isn't "quitting on the season".. it's protecting your ability to win for future seasons and is something we should've done more of in the past.. especially considering in the seasons where we put our blue chippers at risk the Texans weren't even contenders. Our decision to keep playing those players with the injuries they had did more harm than good in the long run, but this team has always failed at viewing the bigger picture.

There's toughness and then there's straight stupidity.. Texans have proven to be the latter more often than the former.

Last edited:
I remember how stupid I thought that play was before it was ran, seeing as how Watt was playing hurt to begin with. I told my buddy who was at the game with me at the time.

It was stupid even if Watt was healthy. Just an example of OBrien trying to show he's a genius and that's all he could come up with

Nobody is talking about benching players just, because we're losing.. However if we're out of it and we clearly can't protect our QB out on the field to the amount of sacks/injuries that he had last season then the conversation needs to be had.. Or do we just sit and welcome another Andrew Luck/Cam Newton situation.

The OP said we're 2-6, didn't mention anything about being "out of it". If we're 2-9, and mathematically out of it... then yes, I'm on bored with protecting Watson.

And protecting the future of cornerstone players in a lost injury riddled season isn't "quitting on the season".. it's protecting your ability to win for future seasons and is something we should've done more of in the past.. especially considering in the seasons where we put our blue chippers at risk the Texans weren't even contenders. Our decision to keep playing those players with the injuries they had did more harm than good in the long run, but this team has always failed at viewing the bigger picture.

There's toughness and then there's straight stupidity.. Texans have proven to be the latter more often than the former.

The tough question to answer is when is a season considered "lost". If we're mathematically eliminated from playoffs, then yes, I'm ok with considering the season "lost". If we're 2-6, I don't want players & coaches that believe the season is "lost" at that point. I want a team that believes 8-game winning streaks are possible.

The OP said we're 2-6, didn't mention anything about being "out of it". If we're 2-9, and mathematically out of it... then yes, I'm on bored with protecting Watson.

The tough question to answer is when is a season considered "lost". If we're mathematically eliminated from playoffs, then yes, I'm ok with considering the season "lost". If we're 2-6, I don't want players & coaches that believe the season is "lost" at that point. I want a team that believes 8-game winning streaks are possible.

And I don't want them to feel like the season is over with either, by all means if they are healthy enough to play..play. However we've seen too many times players allowed to go out on the field when they clearly shouldn't have. Sometimes you have to protect the player from himself and that's where Houston consistently fails.

Benching your healthy franchise QB at the midpoint of the season is flat out stupidity unless you've given up in which case you should never coach again

Benching your healthy franchise QB at the midpoint of the season is flat out stupidity unless you've given up in which case you should never coach again

I'm not talking about if he's healthy.. again if they are healthy enough to play, let them play..

If he's racking up the injuries/sacks that he did last season (because we still can't protect him) in a lost season, he needs to be sat pronto.. Or we'll be looking for the next Houston Texans "Franchise QB" in short order.. and I really don't want to go through that again.

Reactions: JB
So talent doesn't matter?

OK

Talent matters, but the talent margin is extremely thin in the NFL so coaching matters greatly. Also we have a chicken and egg situation here.. We have invested high picks in this line yet don't have one thing to show for it.. Was it the highly regarded talent we drafted that just flamed out or is our shitty offensive line coach just extremely inadequate of developing anything, including later round picks/FAs which good Oline coaches develop often.

I for one don't expect much from that unit regardless of who we sign/draft as long as Mike Devlin is here. Has anyone been so horrible at their job and still stays on staff? I mean how many Oline coaches survive a 60+ sack season.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about if he's healthy.. again if they are healthy enough to play, let them play..

If he's racking up the injuries/sacks that he did last season (because we still can't protect him) in a lost season, he needs to be sat pronto.. Or we'll be looking for the next Houston Texans "Franchise QB" in short order.. and I really don't want to go through that again.

Ok, I read the OP to say bench him at mid-point just to avoid FUTURE injuries which is asinine in my view

Ok, I read the OP to say bench him at mid-point just to avoid FUTURE injuries which is asinine in my view

Yes, because players mainly grow through reps. If they are healthy play them.

When the Cons outweigh the Pros.. extremely banged up or we suck so bad upfront that our QB is just getting his brains beat in then the towel might need to come out. I want to see Watson have a 15 year career here.

You said creative.

Suck=Suck and there's no way to scheme around suck.
Hmmm remember when Watson was lighting it up his rookie year. What was different then and now? Was the OL any better than it is now? WRs? RB? No OB actually schemed up the offense and it worked beautifully. But old butt chin decided that wasn’t what he wanted his offense to look like and went back to his old crappy offense and here we are. He’s a pig headed moron.

Hmmm remember when Watson was lighting it up his rookie year. What was different then and now? Was the OL any better than it is now? WRs? RB? No OB actually schemed up the offense and it worked beautifully. But old butt chin decided that wasn’t what he wanted his offense to look like and went back to his old crappy offense and here we are. He’s a pig headed moron.

Yep.. It's like the less time that he had to prepare Watson to start or use his "QB guru genius" with Watson, Watson was a better QB.. Hmm.

I know, I know.. people are going to say there was more game tape and that is a factor in it, but O'Brien's playcalling sucked last season as well.

Yep.. It's like the less time that he had to prepare Watson or use his "QB guru genius" with Watson, Watson was a better QB.. Hmm.

I know, I know.. people are going to say there was more game tape and that is a factor in it, but O'Brien's playcalling sucked last season as well.

Watson didn't get ANY starter reps in pre-season, so methinks it was OB calling plays that Watson knew more than anything

I've never understood the "i feel sorry for player X" mentality fans get sucked into b/c players they like are in unfavorable team situations. DW4 is the face of a franchise on the up & up (whether yall wanna believe that or not is on yall), Is playing the game that he loves & had a breakout season last year. If he stays healthy in a few years, he's also gonna be a million at least 100 times over as well. I'm DW4 aint feeling to sorry for himself these days, so why should I?

& i know this thread is about the o-line not protecting him & giving him time & whatnot, but he didn't do himself anyy favors in that department last year either. He's gotta continue to learn to give up on some plays & live to fight another down at times too. He said it himself last year.

Back