Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How will Texans do in draft?

michaelm

vox nihili
? I made no inference to your comments just asked you to respond to thread title choosing one of four options. I don’t ridicule others mocks nor did I yours. See no reason for you to be offended but apologize any way.
I interpretated what he said as a tounge in cheek jab at you, for you having had what he considers some unrealistic trade scenarios in the past.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
? I made no inference to your comments just asked you to respond to thread title choosing one of four options. I don’t ridicule others mocks nor did I yours. See no reason for you to be offended but apologize any way.
I see now, and I’m only joking with you bad boy no harm intended!
I’d see that as being category 1, obviously it depends on how the players develop over the next 5 years, but to trade back, gain a first next year, an extra 2nd this year and still land a premier pass rusher and hopefully a shutdown corner would be exceptional.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Most assuredly. :D
They don't call it Cush for no reason,.. I'm definitely going to need a soft cushion to fall on regardless whichever way this rare draft weekend swings. 🙂 (And there's still 2 more years after) Texas better hurry up on the legalization process :foottap: It's coming, but very slowly. Either way, isn't stopping my chain 😁

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I see now, and I’m only joking with you bad boy no harm intended!
I’d see that as being category 1, obviously it depends on how the players develop over the next 5 years, but to trade back, gain a first next year, an extra 2nd this year and still land a premier pass rusher and hopefully a shutdown corner would be exceptional.
I am glad as there is too much insulting and attacking posters on this message board. I never want to do that even unintentionally. We can disagree without attacking. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Back then there were only 12 NFL teams. So, if they wanted to include the top 240 players in the draft they needed 20 rounds to do so.
Still doesn't change the fact that there will be some good UDFA's out there this yr with all of the extra yr Covid guys.

BTW, I'm almost 60 and there has been more than 12 teams for a long time.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Still doesn't change the fact that there will be some good UDFA's out there this yr with all of the extra yr Covid guys.

BTW, I'm almost 60 and there has been more than 12 teams for a long time.
But they still draft about the same number of players every year. BTW the reason you don't want to give away your 6th and 7th RD draft picks and would rather have an abundance of day 3 picks is that as soon as the draft is over there is a mad rush to sign as many UDFA players on list as possible. It is a free for all and there is a competition among the teams and a bidding war with signing bonuses. So if you have all of your day 3 picks and then some you're able to get more players you want at a cheaper price. Even when turning 60 you're still learning something new every day. :)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But they still draft about the same number of players every year. BTW the reason you don't want to give away your 6th and 7th RD draft picks and would rather have an abundance of day 3 picks is that as soon as the draft is over there is a mad rush to sign as many UDFA players on list as possible. It is a free for all and there is a competition among the teams and a bidding war with signing bonuses. So if you have all of your day 3 picks and then some you're able to get more players you want at a cheaper price. Even when turning 60 you're still learning something new every day. :)
I would rather use those late rd picks to trade up and give myself a better chance at finding a starter.

You just have to pay more to get the top end UDFA''s. That and let them know they have an opportunity to make the team. With the current roster selling them on making the team shouldn't be a problem

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would rather use those late rd picks to trade up and give myself a better chance at finding a starter.

You just have to pay more to get the top end UDFA''s. That and let them know they have an opportunity to make the team. With the current roster selling them on making the team shouldn't be a problem
Agree. Most of these UDFAs would be thinking they are a chance of making a team in a rebuild so it easy to imagine those dreaming of playing in the NFL would see Texans as a golden ticket.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I think Caserio comes away with more picks for next year than he will pick this year. But if that's the case, he better nail the 1st and 2nd rounders he will be getting this year in trades. I think he goes defense at #3. I've been saying OT all along but.....always expect the Texans to do something different than what we are thinking.

Texian

Hall of Fame
There's a bidding war for UDFAs? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. It can't be much of one if there is.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network broke the news, describing Wilson’s market as a “swift bidding war.”

Browns win bidding war for UDFA DT Marvin Wilson (usatoday.com)

Kansas City Chiefs: UDFA's Signings That Stand Out (kckingdom.com)

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
O Lineman #3 (a. Evan Neal, b.Ekem Ekwonu)

Trade #13 for Saints #16 & #49. Saints get QB Matt Corral @ 3 and Texans get OT Trevor Penning @ 16 Make em pay if they want a QB bad enough.:strangle:
Texans #49 RB Breese Hall or Edge Arnold Ebiketie. idonno:

That's my prognostication and I'm sticking to it. :thinking: At least till tomorrow morning when reality sets in. :hairpull:

:coffee:

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
There's a bidding war for UDFAs? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. It can't be much of one if there is.
there is the money war, but relative small as you say...but there is more of an opportunity rule also. Many players are trying to get places where there is a poor depth chart of runs a system similar to what they did in college. My nephew talked 5 or 6 teams and was finally won when the Falcons head coach got on the phone and explained that he would running the exact defense that he did ran in college.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Texian

Hall of Fame
Gotta offer the most money to get the top tier FA's. That's how Foster became a Texan. RS offered him the most money and there was opportunity in the Calhoun's RB room.
Foster was strictly an Alex Gibbs call. Kubiak had promised Gibbs anything and everything made him assistant head coach and OL and RUNNING GAME coach. Kubiak told Smith he needed to make Foster happen or Gibbs might castrate him.:sarcasm:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
My absolute zero complaints picks at 3, Ekwonu, Hutchinson, Walker. Anybody else means one of those 3 would have been on the board and they passed.

Reactions: JB

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Agree. Most of these UDFAs would be thinking they are a chance of making a team in a rebuild so it easy to imagine those dreaming of playing in the NFL would see Texans as a golden ticket.
And that's exactly what Arian Foster did. He looked at running back depth charts around the league and chose to come here. These players get to choose where they want to go. When your a team lacking talent and depth, you shouldn't have any problem signing any UDFA that you want.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
My absolute zero complaints picks at 3, Ekwonu, Hutchinson, Walker. Anybody else means one of those 3 would have been on the board and they passed.
Thibodeaux could be in the mix also, and he ain't no slouch.
It's entirely possible Walker goes #1, Hutchinson #2 and Thibodeaux #3.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I agree with you. I think edge helps our DL and DBs. I'm not sold on Tib or Neal so pass on them. But keep seeing rumors of Sauce at 3...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Thibodeaux could be in the mix also, and he ain't no slouch.
It's entirely possible Walker goes #1, Hutchinson #2 and Thibodeaux #3.
Thibodeaux may be fine. If he’s there though, it still means one of the 3 I mentioned are still on the board. I’d rather have any of them over Thibodeaux. In fact, I’d take Sauce or Neal over him, and maybe even Stingley.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
They could still go OL with #13 and take Charles Cross if there or Trevor Penning. If they trade back, can still go Penning, Bernhard Raimann, Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green.
They had the red carpet interview with Thibodeaux and he made no secret of the big positive for him getting selected tonight was

GETTING PAID!!!

No thanks

michaelm

vox nihili
I saw a couple of mocks today with us taking Ekwonu at #3 and Hamilton falling to us at #13.

I'd be happy with that. If I remember right, Neal was available at 3 in those mocks, which would also be ok with me

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am still hopeful we can trade our two remaining
O Lineman #3 (a. Evan Neal, b.Ekem Ekwonu)

Trade #13 for Saints #16 & #49. Saints get QB Matt Corral @ 3 and Texans get OT Trevor Penning @ 16 Make em pay if they want a QB bad enough.:strangle:
Texans #49 RB Breese Hall or Edge Arnold Ebiketie. idonno:

That's my prognostication and I'm sticking to it. :thinking: At least till tomorrow morning when reality sets in. :hairpull:

:coffee:
I would trade 13 for 16 & 49 but NO would prob insist on our 3.68.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Thibodeaux may be fine. If he’s there though, it still means one of the 3 I mentioned are still on the board. I’d rather have any of them over Thibodeaux. In fact, I’d take Sauce or Neal over him, and maybe even Stingley.
They can keep him. Too many similarities to Clowney.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Next thing you know you’re going to tell me his great grandparents are Nigerian doctors & Clemson alum
They said almost 100% the same things about Clowney. Glad we passed. Bad work habits and taking plays off isn't good. I know some have said that he didn't take plays off...but watch some film and you can see it. Plus the injury factor that has been going around

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Keen to see what round 2 brings, this early you can make a case for plenty of players having first round talent still available.