Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How to fix Texans run game?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
KC, Tampa, Buffalo, nor LA are good rushing teams. This isn't the 80s anymore. Can the Texans improve their run game? Sure, my point is you don't have to put alot of resources into running the ball in a passing league. Teams just need to be able to run the ball for balance and for a 4 minute drill. Alot of that is talent and scheme.
There are different ways to build a team.

If you don't have a good running game, you better have a top-tier QB to have a successful offense. If you have Jimmy G or Ryan Tannehill as your QB, you better have a damn good running game.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

If you don't have a good running game, you better have a top-tier QB to have a successful offense. If you have Jimmy G or Ryan Tannehill as your QB, you better have a damn good running game and defense.
FIFY

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If the Texans see OL as less desperate a need than many think, I wonder how the Texans would approach the draft.
Food for thought - after all, they brought in OL from FA last season so they could easily go that route again.
With that in mind, they could go heavy on the defense and we do need some pass rushers, LBs and DBs.
We could go with a RB and a WR as well.
But then again, they brought in players in most positions last season and we are still in rebuild mode.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

If you don't have a good running game, you better have a top-tier QB to have a successful offense. If you have Jimmy G or Ryan Tannehill as your QB, you better have a damn good running game.
I would go even further and say if you don't have a top tier passer you better have a damn good running game.
Even then if you want a top tier offense you need both - or at least an accomplished passer and an effective running game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What if Hamilton and Neal are gone and Thibodeaux and Hutchinson are still on the board? We need pass rushers pretty bad too.
Not a fan of Thibodaux and while I like Hutchison I think that Jermaine Johnson and Cameron Thomas could be as good and round two. I just don't see any player that serves a need of ours as being better than Hamilton. Many consider him the best over all player in the draft. Of course that's if he returns 100% as he's expected to.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not a fan of Thibodaux and while I like Hutchison I think that Jermaine Johnson and Cameron Thomas could be as good and round two. I just don't see any player that serves a need of ours as being better than Hamilton. Many consider him the best over all player in the draft. Of course that's if he returns 100% as he's expected to.
There is a very strong possibility Hamilton falls to us for three reasons -
1. Teams are a little less likely to take a Safety in the first couple of picks - especially if there is a strong edge rusher or OT or CB ranked in the top 4.
2. Jags need OT and CB (Stingley is ranked in the top 3 on many boards)
3. Lions need to upgrade their pass rush pretty bad.
I think Jags take Neal and Lions take either Thibodeaux or Hutchinson.
If they sit pat, this leaves Texans looking at Hutchinson or Thibodeaux or Hamilton. Or Stingley.

badboy

Hall of Fame
1. Teams are a little less likely to take a Safety in the first couple of picks - especially if there is a strong edge rusher or OT or CB ranked in the top 4.
If they sit pat, this leaves Texans looking at Hutchinson or Thibodeaux or Hamilton. Or Stingley.
I agree. Not saying that there are not other players that also meet Prime needs but if healthy my Research indicates Hamilton is by far the safest player in the top 10 minimum. This should be a very good draft even if we don't get much from Watson or if tunsil is not traded. He is still a very good left tackle.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would also throw Ekwonu and Gardner in the mix.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You really think the Bengals game plan was to stop the run vs a team that doesn't run the ball well?
Wasn’t their game plan, it’s just what they do. They allowed the 5th fewest yards rushing this season, and the Rams damn near lost a championship by continuing to go at their strength when they were getting nothing all night. It was almost like the Rams signed OB or Kelly just for this game.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
This is where you're mistaken.
This is just true. NFL owner don't need anybody. We've all watched many of them go through life in a near impenetrable "Money Cocoon" that keeps them safe and warm and happy. An NFL franchise is almost like having a Teflon suit of armor that craps money as you walk around in it. Probably not a good idea to say something racist/misogynist/homophobic in this day and age but they don't need any player who has ever played for them. All Cal needs is for everyone to get their season ticket payments in on time.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think the guy the Bengals came into the game to stop was Cooper Kupp….they couldn’t do it and deservedly he came away with the MVP.
Thats my point. The plan was to stop Kupp and Donald not the run game. Now if this was the prime Todd Gurley, then sure. The Bengals didn't even have to stack the box to stop the run, won the to ,and got out rushed and still lost. Its a passing league.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Thats my point. The plan was to stop Kupp and Donald not the run game. Now if this was the prime Todd Gurley, then sure. The Bengals didn't even have to stack the box to stop the run, won the to ,and got out rushed and still lost. Its a passing league.
Wrong person

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Don’t get me wrong, this is a passing league but if the Texans want some time at the top (when they get there) a strong running game will help keep them there.

They were able to stop him for most of the game. In that 4th quarter he put in a clinic.
I sure wouldn’t mind seeing WR- Chris Olave (Ohio St) wearing a Texans jersey next season. He has the speed and route running skills to be pretty special.

Last edited:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Who was the last guy to "fix" the Texans? That would be Gary Kubiak and he began doing it with a draft that included Eric Winston and Charles Spencer (who never got to be the beast he was destined to become). Sure Mario Williams was the headlines but Kubiak's reconstruction was really built on building an OL and hiring a legendary OL coach. Flushed Carr, added Schaub, and looked for bargain pieces on offense. Later because Spencer was taken out of the picture so early we saw them pick Duane Brown. It's the OL and the running game. That's the kind of approach I'd like to see taken again. Doesn't have to be exact but the Texans need to get some road graders on the line who can move and make holes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who was the last guy to "fix" the Texans? That would be Gary Kubiak and he began doing it with a draft that included Eric Winston and Charles Spencer (who never got to be the beast he was destined to become). Sure Mario Williams was the headlines but Kubiak's reconstruction was really built on building an OL and hiring a legendary OL coach. Flushed Carr, added Schaub, and looked for bargain pieces on offense. Later because Spencer was taken out of the picture so early we saw them pick Duane Brown. It's the OL and the running game. That's the kind of approach I'd like to see taken again. Doesn't have to be exact but the Texans need to get some road graders on the line who can move and make holes.
Funny. I remember a time when even Kubiak’s staunches suppporters saw his offense as predictable & absolutely hated his nepotism (friends of Kubiak).

I agree. Those early years built the foundation of our glory days.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is such an easy thing to see and how most successful teams go about building their teams. (Bengals not withstanding) I just dont get people who want to trade off a pro bowl level OL on a team that's OL sucks and also treats the OL as not the primary need of this team. Why? Because drafting a DE like Thibs/Hutch may make an impact faster.

Meanwhile the offense will continue and posters on this MB will continue to do what they've done the last 4-5 yrs of griping about the playcalling/QB play etc... when the truth is Caserio will have failed to address the root cause of why the run game cant avg more than 3.0 yds per carry or the QB isn't able to make it through his reads properly as a young QB. (Please I dont want to hear from the Derrick fanboys) Fact is until Caserio gets the OL fixed and gets a couple of weapons around Mills the offense will continue to struggle.