Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How to fix Texans run game?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Somebody gonna fix Buffalo and KC run game? The qb were the leading rushers for both.
I think you might want to see how they ran the ball against the Pats as more of a guide. But yes, Daboll used Allen in the designed run game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The idea of a power running game is to slow the game down and keep a Mahomes or Allen on the bench. Make 8 min drives. Of course you have to score td's and not fg's and it helps to have a good defense.
Very easy to understand

BTW, it's not just the 3.0 per carry avg. It was the pass pro sucked too.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
KC, Tampa, Buffalo, nor LA are good rushing teams. This isn't the 80s anymore. Can the Texans improve their run game? Sure, my point is you don't have to put alot of resources into running the ball in a passing league. Teams just need to be able to run the ball for balance and for a 4 minute drill. Alot of that is talent and scheme.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
KC, Tampa, Buffalo, nor LA are good rushing teams. This isn't the 80s anymore. Can the Texans improve their run game? Sure, my point is you don't have to put alot of resources into running the ball in a passing league. Teams just need to be able to run the ball for balance and for a 4 minute drill. Alot of that is talent and scheme.
Teams still need to run well enough to have defenses respect the run. They also need to be able to pickup 3rd and shorts. A 4.2 yd per carry avg would be about right. IMHO

But you're right, the AFC is a passing conference. The NFC isstill a run and play defense conference. But they've started throwing more with coaches like Kingsbury/McVay/Arians/Payton etc....

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Buffalo was 6th in rushing yards.

Look, you don't have to rush for 200 yards per game, but you do need a run game that keeps you on schedule and doesn't have you constantly in long down and distance. That's been the Texans main issue the last few years. They are always in 2nd & 9, 3rd & 11, because they have so many minimal to negative gain plays in the run game. Hard to be a consistent offense like that.

Now, I agree that you don't need to spend a ton of resources on it, particularly at RB. The o-line and the scheme are the most important things. Now you do need a RB that has the talent (vision, quickness, patience, etc.) but you can find those just about anywhere. Philip Lindsay sucked here, but he was a UDFA in Denver who started with two 1,000 yard seasons. Arian Foster UDFA. Terrell Davis a 6th rounder.

Mangler

Toro de España
Somebody gonna fix Buffalo and KC run game? The qb were the leading rushers for both.
One would hope so because counting on the QB being the leading rusher on your team is unsustainable. Imagine how much better Buffalo and KC would have been if they had a run game like the 49ers? Boy…

Francois Kutz

Practice Squad
Obviously we have to start from the O-line and work your way out. Tunsil is finished. We got him based on bad coaching, and he was done before then. I'm not a big fan of Neal either. If you go back and watch some tape on Alabama, both OT's were getting beat during SEC play. If there is another OT that has can be drafted, we should do it.

As far as trading Cooks, the price tag is too high. If we could have gotten rid of him with Ingram, we would have. Back to Tunsil. Nobody ever really wants to trade for a LT. Those guys are generally drafted. At best, draft a LT in the 1st, move Tunsil to RT or rotating guard.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Obviously we have to start from the O-line and work your way out. Tunsil is finished. We got him based on bad coaching, and he was done before then. I'm not a big fan of Neal either. If you go back and watch some tape on Alabama, both OT's were getting beat during SEC play. If there is another OT that has can be drafted, we should do it.

As far as trading Cooks, the price tag is too high. If we could have gotten rid of him with Ingram, we would have. Back to Tunsil. Nobody ever really wants to trade for a LT. Those guys are generally drafted. At best, draft a LT in the 1st, move Tunsil to RT or rotating guard.
Tunsil was done before BOB traded for him and yet he made 2 pro bowls? SMDH

Dont know what you were watching with Neal? He was dominant in the run game in both Georgia games and especially the Cincy game. How many sacks did Neal give up in these 3 games? (None) Pretty good for a slow not athletic fat guy.

Moving a pro bowl LT that is great in pass pro but avg in run blocking to RT/RG? What?

It's like we aren't watching the same games.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Tunsil was done before BOB traded for him and yet he made 2 pro bowls? SMDH

Dont know what you were watching with Neal? He was dominant in the run game in both Georgia games and especially the Cincy game. How many sacks did Neal give up in these 3 games? (None) Pretty good for a slow not athletic fat guy.

Moving a pro bowl LT that is great in pass pro but avg in run blocking to RT/RG? What?

It's like we aren't watching the same games.
I wouldn't trade Tunsil unless I get a farm for him. People talk about his run blocking which avg, but he's an elite pass blocker. Miami got a boatload for Tunsil and guess what? Their oline was bad after the trade. They couldn't do anything either. Not to mention as we've witnessed, guys like him can play at a high level until mid 30s easy.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Buffalo was 6th in rushing yards.

Look, you don't have to rush for 200 yards per game, but you do need a run game that keeps you on schedule and doesn't have you constantly in long down and distance. That's been the Texans main issue the last few years. They are always in 2nd & 9, 3rd & 11, because they have so many minimal to negative gain plays in the run game. Hard to be a consistent offense like that.

Now, I agree that you don't need to spend a ton of resources on it, particularly at RB. The o-line and the scheme are the most important things. Now you do need a RB that has the talent (vision, quickness, patience, etc.) but you can find those just about anywhere. Philip Lindsay sucked here, but he was a UDFA in Denver who started with two 1,000 yard seasons. Arian Foster UDFA. Terrell Davis a 6th rounder.
We both know Buffalo isn't a good rushing team, but they have Allen just like a few years ago Texans were top 10, but Watson was a big part of that. We do agree that run game is scheme and talent. SF attacks different than most teams. According to the stats, Buffalo is a better rushing team than SF. Texans had the oldest backfield in the NFL. Burkhead is cool, but you need young legs. I mean Foreman and Hilliard were sitting on the couch before the Titans called. Why didn't the Texans have one of those dudes on the roster?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't trade Tunsil unless I get a farm for him. People talk about his run blocking which avg, but he's an elite pass blocker. Miami got a boatload for Tunsil and guess what? Their oline was bad after the trade. They couldn't do anything either. Not to mention as we've witnessed, guys like him can play at a high level until mid 30s easy.
Exactly

And if you want to see what Mills is all about, thenyou keep Tunsil draft Neal and then trade Tunsil if you need the cap space in the 2023 offseason. If you were able to draft both Neal and Salyers while hanging on to Tunsil and the OL turns out to be what I think it will become, then that's a win/win and you have the cap space avilable to improve the team. because you know the cap is going to go up due the gamblers.

I'm one of the guys hat wants to give Mills his best chance to succeed. Apparently i'm in the minority and the bean counters think that they know better.

Just remember this for the people that have been spoiled with mediocrity over the yrs. This is a 3 yr deal not a 1 yr deal.

Why are things this way,? Because Cal invested in a Sexual Predator, you can say what you want, but that decision cost 10.5 mil last yr and will cost 35 mil next yr. Think about that all of you bean counters.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Exactly

And if you want to see what Mills is all about, thenyou keep Tunsil draft Neal and then trade Tunsil if you need the cap space in the 2023 offseason. If you were able to draft both Neal and Salyers while hanging on to Tunsil and the OL turns out to be what I think it will become, then that's a win/win and you have the cap space avilable to improve the team. because you know the cap is going to go up due the gamblers.

I'm one of the guys hat wants to give Mills his best chance to succeed. Apparently i'm in the minority and the bean counters think that they know better.

Just remember this for the people that have been spoiled with mediocrity over the yrs. This is a 3 yr deal not a 1 yr deal.

Why are things this way,? Because Cal invested in a Sexual Predator, you can say what you want, but that decision cost 10.5 mil last yr and will cost 35 mil next yr. Think about that all of you bean counters.
I'm not going down this road with you. Nobody, nobody thought Watson was capable if this. Not even his biggest detractors. Part of this is Watson poor conduct, but part of this is Cal and his trust in Esterby. Were not going to agree on it so let's keep it on subject. Whether or not Mills is the qb or not, I'm not trading a premier pass blocking left tackle. He's the least of the team woes. As stated before, until the coach and staff are in place will the determination of players to be selected. You're not the only one who wants to see Mills succeed. I think most, including myself wish the best, but if this is about competition, nobody should be exempt. Just like people laughed when Pete said it was an open competition between Wilson and the newly signed Flynn. We know the rest of the story. If Mills is going to be the guy, then it should be clear and he beats the guy out.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We both know Buffalo isn't a good rushing team, but they have Allen just like a few years ago Texans were top 10, but Watson was a big part of that. We do agree that run game is scheme and talent. SF attacks different than most teams. According to the stats, Buffalo is a better rushing team than SF. Texans had the oldest backfield in the NFL. Burkhead is cool, but you need young legs. I mean Foreman and Hilliard were sitting on the couch before the Titans called. Why didn't the Texans have one of those dudes on the roster?
One of my buds says we don't need a RB in the draft because we have Scottie Phillips - but my question is, if SP was any good, then surely he would have been playing the position..?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
One of my buds says we don't need a RB in the draft because we have Scottie Phillips - but my question is, if SP was any good, then surely he would have been playing the position..?
When Arian Foster was a rookie, how many starts did he get?
(I'm not implying that SP is AF, just that we don't know

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not going down this road with you. Nobody, nobody thought Watson was capable if this. Not even his biggest detractors. Part of this is Watson poor conduct, but part of this is Cal and his trust in Esterby. Were not going to agree on it so let's keep it on subject. Whether or not Mills is the qb or not, I'm not trading a premier pass blocking left tackle. He's the least of the team woes. As stated before, until the coach and staff are in place will the determination of players to be selected. You're not the only one who wants to see Mills succeed. I think most, including myself wish the best, but if this is about competition, nobody should be exempt. Just like people laughed when Pete said it was an open competition between Wilson and the newly signed Flynn. We know the rest of the story. If Mills is going to be the guy, then it should be clear and he beats the guy out.
Who do you want to bring in for competition?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Boatload? OB is with Alabama these days.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
When we saw Scottie Phillips, a big meh. I had hopes but I think they can easily find better. 6 carries for 13 yards in 3 games he appeared in. NO flashes. Yeah, not a lot of info there, but I think they would have played him more if he was showing more in practice etc

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
When we saw Scottie Phillips, a big meh. I had hopes but I think they can easily find better. 6 carries for 13 yards in 3 games he appeared in. NO flashes. Yeah, not a lot of info there, but I think they would have played him more if he was showing more in practice etc
To be fair to SP, he only got carries in 2 games, 5 vs LAR and 1 vs MIA... Hard to see flashes there with that OL and OC

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
He was nothing special in pre-season either. Heck, I liked Taiwan Jones carrying the ball more. He ran violently and was a good ST, but think he went off to the Bills or such.
I thought he looked better than any of the other backs during pre-season. He hit the hole much quicker

We probably need an upgrade... would love to have Breece Hall

Mangler

Toro de España
I'm not going down this road with you. Nobody, nobody thought Watson was capable if this. Not even his biggest detractors. Part of this is Watson poor conduct, but part of this is Cal and his trust in Esterby. Were not going to agree on it so let's keep it on subject. Whether or not Mills is the qb or not, I'm not trading a premier pass blocking left tackle. He's the least of the team woes.
I know this post is directed at Steelb, but it’s a little confusing. Are you saying that Cal’s trust in Easterby caused Watson to become a sexual predator? Or are you saying that Cal’s trust in Easterby cause him to extend said sexual predator to that massive contract because Easterby did not share all of the information regarding the sexual deviant with him? What exactly did Cal’s trust in Easterby cause?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I know this post is directed at Steelb, but it’s a little confusing. Are you saying that Cal’s trust in Easterby caused Watson to become a sexual predator? Or are you saying that Cal’s trust in Easterby cause him to extend said sexual predator to that massive contract because Easterby did not share all of the information regarding the sexual deviant with him? What exactly did Cal’s trust in Easterby cause?
Cals trust in Esterby is the reason this organization is having trust issues. After all the alignment issues with OB and Rick, Gaine is hired and fired in 1 year. The same year Jack is hired and attempted to get Caserio illegal. Then BOB and Jack are a team in terms contracts and such. BOB fired, guess who is the interim? Not the player personel or director over scouting, its the culture coach. I don't really need to rehash all of it, just Google Andre Johnson tweet when he was inside. I'll leave it at that.

Mangler

Toro de España
Cals trust in Esterby is the reason this organization is having trust issues. After all the alignment issues with OB and Rick, Gaine is hired and fired in 1 year. The same year Jack is hired and attempted to get Caserio illegal. Then BOB and Jack are a team in terms contracts and such. BOB fired, guess who is the interim? Not the player personel or director over scouting, its the culture coach. I don't really need to rehash all of it, just Google Andre Johnson tweet when he was inside. I'll leave it at that.
Googling Andre Johnson’s year old post does absolutely nothing! What I do find interesting is Andre Johnson’s silence after the sexual assault charges against Watson were made public. As a matter of fact, Andre had been spotted at NRG randomly during this past season and was even broadcasted sitting in between Janice and Cal McNair during one of the last games of the season. Hell, Andre and 50 Cent were hanging out watching one of the Texans games early on the season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Googling Andre Johnson’s year old post does absolutely nothing! What I do find interesting is Andre Johnson’s silence after the sexual assault charges against Watson were made public. As a matter of fact, Andre had been spotted at NRG randomly during this past season and was even broadcasted sitting in between Janice and Cal McNair during one of the last games of the season. Hell, Andre and 50 Cent were hanging out watching one of the Texans games early on the season.
Yep,

AJ bet on the wrong horse.

Lets be honest, AJ was kissing up to the McNair's because he's up for the HOF vote.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yep,

AJ bet on the wrong horse.

Lets be honest, AJ was kissing up to the McNair's because he's up for the HOF vote.
It wasn't a bet, it was what he witnessed and put it together. Nothing had anything to do with allegations, he never spoke on any of it before it happened. He spoke about the common denominator and a timeline. 2019, the year Esterby came in and how things unraveled and what he saw while inside. Never mentioned anyone by name except Esterbunny, the man with the power.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It must frustrate OC's when they can't get a decent running game going - takes away half their playbook for starters. I wonder if Kelly could have been better with one...
And it won't matter who the next one will be either if Caserio doesn't fix it.
Otoh, opposing DC's love it - they only have to account for about half the variables.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It must frustrate OC's when they can't get a decent running game going - takes away half their playbook for starters. I wonder if Kelly could have been better with one...
And it won't matter who the next one will be either if Caserio doesn't fix it.
Otoh, opposing DC's love it - they only have to account for about half the variables.
Kelly is more a common denominator to the poor run game than any of the players that Caserio can "fix"

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why he didn't play. People will say pass pro, but we've seen David Johnson turn down a blitz or step in the wrong hole.
the little i saw of Scottie Phillips outside of presesaon, i wasn't impressed. He's 1 of those guys that looks good to everyone b/c the only time anyone ever sees him is in the preseason when he's playing against 3-4th stringers. When the lights come on tho against top level teams and starters, he's not anywhere close to the same guy. I was guilty of this with Tom Savage..................and Trindon Holiday. My guess is he'll be released this offseason & will latch on as a special teamer elsewhere and we'll never hear from again after that..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who's having trust issues with the Texans org?

The Media? Fans that the media tell them what to think? Or actual people within the building right now down on Kirby? If it's the latter please name names.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Kinda like Dontrell Hilliard?
Speaking of Hilliard. He and D'onta Foreman combined for over 900 yards rushing behind an OL that had former Texans Jones, Quessenberry and even Kendall Lamm starting due to injuries. I still don't understand why the Titans insisted on giving a rusty Derek Henry 20 carries instead of sharing the load like they did in his absence.

1643337082725.png

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Speaking of Hilliard. He and D'onta Foreman combined for over 900 yards rushing behind an OL that had former Texans Jones, Quessenberry and even Kendall Lamm starting due to injuries
This is why I’m not ready to endorse as drastic an overhaul on the OL as some.

I have no idea which ones are worth keeping. But I don’t think it’s as bad as it looked. I remember the first two/three years of the Kubiak era they had a time installing it. I hope that was the bigger part of the problem last season.