Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How can I keep following this team?

LikeMike

Veteran
I don't quit - but I have just lost a lot of interest. I am no Houston native - I have no affiliation to the city and just chose the Texans because I was a Rockets fan (another team that I lost a lot of interest in since Morey left - and I am a fan since 95).

I grew attached to the team since I started following seriously the year Cushing was drafted. I stood by the team when it sucked, I cheered when we made the first playoffs. I was over the moon when it was clear, that the Texans have their first true franchise qb.

There were always the head scratches - letting talent walk - overpay for mediocre players, mishandling the D. Brown situation. Then OB started to dismantle the team - I was OK with it until the Hopkins trade. The future looked bleak - but we were getting a fresh start with a new regime. Now the new HC doesn't inspire me at all - he may be great but there is no exciting surrounding this signing. And now Watson has requested a trade. I can't think of another franchise that mishandles talent this badly as the Texans did the last year.

And it is hard to root for a team, after the players you care most for are gone (Watt and Watson), and you have no trust in the coaches or in the owner (and little trust in the gm).

This one stings. I will probably look at another team to follow alongside the Texans - and if things don't start to improve I am worried I might lose all interest...

bigmck

Rookie
I don't quit - but I have just lost a lot of interest. I am no Houston native - I have no affiliation to the city and just chose the Texans because I was a Rockets fan (another team that I lost a lot of interest in since Morey left - and I am a fan since 95).
I assume you have also lost interest in the Astros since they no longer have their garbage can lids?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Simple, Root for the logo, not the player. As much as these guys try to endear themselves to the fans by playing in local grocery store commercials, just remember, them dudes get paid to do that and that they likely wouldn’t play for your home team if they had their choice.

LikeMike

Veteran
Simple, Root for the logo, not the player. As much as these guys try to endear themselves to the fans by playing in local grocery store commercials, just remember, them dudes get paid to do that and that they likely wouldn’t play for your home team if they had their choice.
Yeah and it would be different if this was my home team. It's not. I live in Germany never set a foot in Texas. I came because of my love for the Rockets and stayed because it felt like we were building something. At first it der like all we need Isa better qb, then after the Osweiler disaster we got our franchise qb - and we're getting better. With Watson ever season would have reason to be excited.

Now we have few draft picks (plus the ones we get in the Watson trade) - no exciting young players, a lot of overpriced veterans and a regime, that drive away Watson and D. Brown (and Hopkins seemed happy to leave as well) - I don't expect FA seeing Houston as a favorable location. Right now I feel zero excitement for the Texans - and it will take some time to get that back... And with how things are going I expect it to get worse...

Bugman7star

All Pro
I can't help but follow this team no matter how inept it is. Doesn't mean I am investing any additional money into them right now. I was thinking about where we now rank when compare to tortured NFL fan bases?? Our pain and frustration is obviously very fresh right now. But are we at the level of Browns or Lions fans for example considering what they have dealt with? Regardless, being a Texans fan right now feels incredibly deflating.

Texanthumper

Practice Squad
Yeah and it would be different if this was my home team. It's not. I live in Germany never set a foot in Texas. I came because of my love for the Rockets and stayed because it felt like we were building something. At first it der like all we need Isa better qb, then after the Osweiler disaster we got our franchise qb - and we're getting better. With Watson ever season would have reason to be excited.

Now we have few draft picks (plus the ones we get in the Watson trade) - no exciting young players, a lot of overpriced veterans and a regime, that drive away Watson and D. Brown (and Hopkins seemed happy to leave as well) - I don't expect FA seeing Houston as a favorable location. Right now I feel zero excitement for the Texans - and it will take some time to get that back... And with how things are going I expect it to get worse...

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I am a hometown team kinda guy but I’ve taken a huge step back away from the Texans. I got back into them a little when OB was canned but it’s still hard to fully invest my fandom into this team.

If Watson leaves I will probably take another step back from the team but I’m trying to give them a chance.

Id suggest to just be open minded about what they’re doing and once/if they prove they still have no clue (starting to look like that) then just say eff em.

Since I stopped caring about the Texans my falls have been a lot more fulfilling tbh.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't get emotionally invested in the team and I find things to be interested in. Have a 20s draft pick, meant we had a pretty good season, have a bad season usually means you have a great draft pick, franchise QB wants out think of the kings ransom you can get, star WR gets traded, odds are it will lead to the HC getting fired, national media running your team down, F'em when have they ever got anything right. Everything is action and reaction and I have a blast looking at the whole puzzle and not just the individual pieces. Helps that I remember that all these players are way overpaid for what they do and that after their rookie contracts end they agree to sign with the team knowing what the situation is. As @Mr teX said, root for the logo not the player and then things like Watson leaving or Hopkins getting traded will only bother you in the sense of if you didn't get good compensation or what is the plan going forward.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I'm too old to be too invested in rooting for a sports team, but I have followed them and been a fan since before they existed. I knew I was going to support the team Houston eventually gets after the Oilers left. Right now I think I'm just going to mentally check out for awhile. Shouldn't be too hard since that's the way I've been leaning since the Hop trade and then the sh!t show season anyway.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I remember when I would be in a bad mood when the Texans lost and in a great mood when they won. It hasn’t been that way for while. I still watch but apathy is so bad it’s hard to feel anything other than disbelief. I’ll still watch but there is no passion for this team. I said it before, I loved the oilers like a son and love the Texans like a nephew.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Yet another Look at me, I quit, my team sux thread... what's the point? Need some attention? A shoulder?
Hey, its been a long socially distanced year for everyone...... there are plenty of people in need of hugs.... dont judge.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
I used to be able to do it win or lose, with Jack and his shenanigans, I can see myself letting my interest slip. I dislike him more than i ever did Bud Adams. And that's saying a lot.

bigmck

Rookie
I used to be able to do it win or lose, with Jack and his shenanigans, I can see myself letting my interest slip. I dislike him more than i ever did Bud Adams. And that's saying a lot.
I followed the Oilers and Texans no matter what. Now with the NFL putting this political crap on the back of the helmets and on the field, I am about at the end of my rope.

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
If DW4 leaves I'm hoping Brock Osweiler is willing to come back with Tim Tebow as backup. That with a laugh track added in the games would make for a great reality TV show.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I grew attached to the team since I started following seriously the year Cushing was drafted. I stood by the team when it sucked, I cheered when we made the first playoffs. I was over the moon when it was clear, that the Texans have their first true franchise qb.

There were always the head scratches - letting talent walk - overpay for mediocre players, mishandling the D. Brown situation. Then OB started to dismantle the team - I was OK with it until the Hopkins trade. The future looked bleak - but we were getting a fresh start with a new regime. Now the new HC doesn't inspire me at all - he may be great but there is no exciting surrounding this signing. And now Watson has requested a trade. I can't think of another franchise that mishandles talent this badly as the Texans did the last year.

And it is hard to root for a team, after the players you care most for are gone (Watt and Watson), and you have no trust in the coaches or in the owner (and little trust in the gm).

This one stings. I will probably look at another team to follow alongside the Texans - and if things don't start to improve I am worried I might lose all interest...
Are you willing to give Caserio a couple of yrs to add talent from the draft picks he got from the DW4 trade and see how the young guys are doing?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Yep, just like letting the Oilers leave.
We've had the bad luck of idiotic NFL ownership in Houston. What are you supposed to do if you want to watch the NFL team in Houston? Not watch it just because the owner is dumber than dirt? If all NFL fans took that notion the NFL would be out of business because half the owners in the league aren't much better than what we got. Some are, we just haven't experienced that yet.

I root for laundry and a logo, I don’t spend money on them. I can’t support stupidity.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Yep, just like letting the Oilers leave.
i wouldn’t mind them leaving town, and then not get another team back. As xtru said above, since I stopped caring about the Texans (or football in general in fact) my falls have been a lot more fulfilling tbh.

(and I’m not totally dismissing the idea that Covid has something to do with my loss of interest in sports altogether. Priorities I guess)

corytx8

Rookie
Houston native here, born and raised. I grew up being a hardcore Houston sports fan outside of the Oilers. When the Texans came to town in 2002, my family and I went all in. Since the KC blow out with Hoyer, my interest started to decrease with this team with OB at the helm. Watson brought me back in but still my interest wasn’t there. Once OB was fired, my willingness to reinvest my time and interest to start following this team. But this fallout between Watson and the Texans and what the front office is doing has definitely pushed me away as a fan.

I have too much going on with life at home and makings moves to advance in my career quickly. I just don’t want to waste my free time on a team that doesn’t have their house in order.

At least Rockets, I can invested in through the ups and downs. They aren’t making boneheaded moves like the Texans are. The Astros window has just closed, I am interested to see how they retool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As always, it's just entertainment. And if you're not entertained by the product, you should feel no obligation to spend your time or money watching it.

That said, the days of spending pretty days inside watching football all day are behind me. Maybe it's just a sign of getting old(er), perhaps it's the ability to DVR games, but it's also that I just get bored with all the commercials and slow pace of many games.

I still enjoy watching NFL in general, especially with my sons, and it's even funner with the Red Zone channel.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
As always, it's just entertainment. And if you're not entertained by the product, you should feel no obligation to spend your time or money watching it.

That said, the days of spending pretty days inside watching football all day are behind me. Maybe it's just a sign of getting old(er), perhaps it's the ability to DVR games, but it's also that I just get bored with all the commercials and slow pace of many games.

I still enjoy watching NFL in general, especially with my sons, and it's even funner with the Red Zone channel.
Its why I was enjoying the last version of XFL so much. Guys that were better than college but not the divas of the NFL plus the rules made it a much faster paced game. Yeah it was minor league football but it was more fun than I have had with the Texans in 5 years. Houston being undefeated didn't hurt either. :bubble:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Houston native here, born and raised. I grew up being a hardcore Houston sports fan outside of the Oilers. When the Texans came to town in 2002, my family and I went all in. Since the KC blow out with Hoyer, my interest started to decrease with this team with OB at the helm. Watson brought me back in but still my interest wasn’t there. Once OB was fired, my willingness to reinvest my time and interest to start following this team. But this fallout between Watson and the Texans and what the front office is doing has definitely pushed me away as a fan.

I have too much going on with life at home and makings moves to advance in my career quickly. I just don’t want to waste my free time on a team that doesn’t have their house in order.

At least Rockets, I can invested in through the ups and downs. They aren’t making boneheaded moves like the Texans are. The Astros window has just closed, I am interested to see how they retool.

Good for you, you're making the right choices.

What would you have done differently if you were Cal?

corytx8

Rookie
Good for you, you're making the right choices.

What would you have done differently if you were Cal?
Fire the Easter Bunny and be upfront and honest with your Franchise QB. I wouldn’t have allowed BOB full control like he did...... That would have prevented the bad Dhop trade and recent contract signings.

Unlike you steel, I do believe that Watson has what it takes to take this team to the next level. But you have to put pieces around him like a decent coach, coordinators, position coaches who can developed solid game plans, help their players maximize the skills that have and reasonable talent around him that can play the game and execute the game plans week in and week out. See Exhibit A with Mahomes, Andy Reid and Kansas City. Look at Exhibit B with Green Bay consistency with winning. Baltimore and Pittsburg as well even though Pittsburg is in the process of retooling.

Those organizations that I have listed to me are the standard that of what a competent organization looks like. They don’t trade star players in their prime away for a bag of chips after the Diggs trad set the bar for the trade market for a number 1 receiver. They also, don’t do stuff like hire a search firm only as a smoke screen.

I haven’t lived Texas since 2005, so I really get to see Texans reputation from outside of Houston. It’s not good quite frankly an embarrassment to be honest. I want to give Nick chance and I want to be open minded about the hirings. But it will be really difficult do if they trade a Franchise QB in their prime away (those do not grow trees).