Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans select 4th round KeKe Coutee WR Texas Tech

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rankin should not have been on the cut list. We are now starting Chris Clark and giving time to Roderick Johnson and Dan Skipper
LOL, Like you would know.

Tell us how Rankin would help the RT position when he was playing LG?

Do you think Rankin would help this team more than Hyde has?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Is Rankin playing tackle for the Chiefs, or are you talking out your ass?
He is currently playing guard because a Chief guard got injured, but the Chiefs list him as an RT.

And he has looked solid so far. We traded him for a rental mediocre RB who can't catch.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @aaronjreiss: Is Keke Coutee going to play this week?

Bill O'Brien was noncommittal: "I would say there's a number of guys in the plan."

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Tweet from @aaronjreiss: Is Keke Coutee going to play this week?

Bill O'Brien was noncommittal: "I would say there's a number of guys in the plan."
Oh Oh looks like someone has drawn the scorn of the Emperor of Buttchins .. how long before he gets cut??

BUST!!!

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
1. put a guy in the doghouse
2. Say you should have played him more last game
3. Don't say whether he'll play next game
4. ???

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He is currently playing guard because a Chief guard got injured, but the Chiefs list him as an RT.

And he has looked solid so far. We traded him for a rental mediocre RB who can't catch.
He hasn't looked solid so far. He's looked like he did last yr.
Have you watched a minute of Chiefs football

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oh Oh looks like someone has drawn the scorn of the Emperor of Buttchins .. how long before he gets cut??

BUST!!!
Let's see, Coutee plays well as a rookie gets hurt and comes back and is up and down, hasn't even played 16 games yet and you deem him as a bust.

Watson's career has followed the same path, yet he's Jesusincleats.

Last edited:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He hasn't looked solid so far. He's looked like he did last yr.
Have you watched a minute of Chiefs football
This guy has:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/10/25/20928833/martinas-rankin-film-review-backup-or-potential-starter

The bottom line
Similar to Wylie last year, there isn’t a ton of tape available for Rankin in a Chiefs uniform yet, but there is a case to make for him as part of the famous “best five” that Andy Reid likes to mention.

Rankin still has some shortcomings with going hard all the way through screen plays, a soft anchor and the aforementioned narrowing base, but his strengths far outweigh the weaknesses.

Strangely enough, Rankin’s best traits — his athleticism and hand technique — are why he makes a ton of sense at tackle. Maybe his future is a swing tackle for the Chiefs that has inside flexibility, similar to Erving upon his arrival. Maybe Rankin’s ultimate home is at guard and the Chiefs pan to move on from Duvernay-Tardif or Wylie sooner rather than later.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe his future is a swing tackle for the Chiefs that has inside flexibility
Yeah, that guy sees him as a quality backup

Don't get me wrong. I thought Rankin would be our future at Guard. I'd have just as soon traded Fulton & have Sharping & Rankin as our guards.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yeah, that guy sees him as a quality backup

Don't get me wrong. I thought Rankin would be our future at Guard. I'd have just as soon traded Fulton & have Sharping & Rankin as our guards.
I'd rather have Rankin than Chris Clark or Dan Skipper.

Especially when you consider Rankin is in year 2 of a rookie contract

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil, Howard and R.Johnson all went out injured. You can only have so many backups. I hoped Rankin would turn corner but just didn't.
Rankins 1st instinct coming out of his stance is to stand straight up. Maybe the K.C. OL coach can break him of this habit but I doubt it.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Rankins 1st instinct coming out of his stance is to stand straight up. Maybe the K.C. OL coach can break him of this habit but I doubt it.
And yet the Texans drafted him in the third round which will be our highest pick in 2021.

Crazy

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And yet the Texans drafted him in the third round which will be our highest pick in 2021.

Crazy
You hit and miss in the 3rd.

Reid/Akins were hits and Rankin was a miss. People around these parts are trained to think rds 2-4 in the draft equals fail because they've been conditioned by the RS regime to think this way.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You hit and miss in the 3rd.

Reid/Akins were hits and Rankin was a miss. People around these parts are trained to think rds 2-4 in the draft equals fail because they've been conditioned by the RS regime to think this way.
What makes you think Akins was a hit?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Semantics, when you get something for nothing it may not be amazing but it's pretty darn good
Exactly. Fells has played for 3 teams in his career & most here including myself didn't think much of the signing. 8 games in, this guy is our best TE & absolutely will have career highs in every statistical category. Not bad for an undrafted FA 5 years ago that noone seemed to want & that you got for 1.5 million.

Similar thing happened with Eric Ebron. some guys just fit better elsewhere.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Fells has played for 3 teams in his career & most here including myself didn't think much of the signing. 8 games in, this guy is our best TE & absolutely will have career highs in every statistical category. Not bad for an undrafted FA 5 years ago that noone seemed to want & that you got for 1.5 million.

Similar thing happened with Eric Ebron. some guys just fit better elsewhere.
When Fells first came in, he was to be strictly a blocking TE and supposedly had little receiving ability. Funny how those who are always critical of the coaching staff not being able to develop a player, conveniently have not made one peep as to giving credit to the coaching for his significant (many who would consider amazing) transformation.............not one peep.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Did you guys not watch Rankin play? He was hot garbage here. Now whether that was coaching or just who he is I don’t know but he clearly was on a downward trajectory “here”. Whatever it was it was clear he wasn’t going to workout “here”. Sometimes it’s best for both parties to move on in that situation. We did, he’s gone and we’re better because of it. Just the way it works out sometimes.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he should have done a better job of involving WR Keke Coutee against the Raiders
By: Mark Lane | 7 hours ago

The Houston Texans’ passing attack persisted against the Oakland Raiders and overcome an eight-point second half deficit to upend the visiting side 27-24 Sunday afternoon at NRG Stadium.

One player who did not figure a part in the victory was second-year receiver Keke Coutee, who did not play a snap on special teams or on offense in the win.
Coach Bill O’Brien after the game told reporters they were sticking to the game plan and the limited possessions didn’t allow for him to insert Coutee into the action, but that he should have been more conscious about getting the former Texas Tech Red Raider in the game.

“I think just in the game plan, I think to be honest with you, probably should, probably had chances to get him in there a little bit more,” O’Brien said. “But the way that the game was going and talking about the limited possessions that we had we just didn’t get him into the game, and I think probably could have done a better job of that so there really wasn’t any reason other than me doing a better job of getting him in the game.”
Once again......OB, the master of hindsight being 20/20 strikes again in his statement. Uuummmm, OB this would be commonly referred to as IN-GAME adjustments.....not an "oh my" moment.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I guess Coutee just isn’t versatile enough or a hard enough worker.

inexcusable to say Mitchell Jr is a better option than Coutee when healthy. Play your best players!!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess Coutee just isn’t versatile enough or a hard enough worker.

inexcusable to say Mitchell Jr is a better option than Coutee when healthy. Play your best players!!
They really missed Coutee today. LMAO

Wonder when WFV is going to be back?

VTexan

Rookie
the game today would have been blown wide open in the first half if Coutee was out there.

he must have done something to REALLY piss off BoB to get benched 2 games in a row when scrubs like carter and mitchell jr are out there.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Last week, O'Brien made it seem like Coutee didn't get any snaps due to limited possessions and the way the game flowed. This week, it appears he either forgot Coutee made the trip to London or Coutee jumped off the plan and into the Atlantic ocean.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Is it possible Coutee is in the doghouse for always running the wrong routes?
I was asked in another thread if Coutee is injured and that was the reason we haven't seen him though active. I relayed that he was not injured and Carter was doing much what he could do, while the rest of the receiving corp was doing quite well..............so he was not all that important a cog in the scheme. I've now found out that the team has been disenchanted with him since dropping that pass that was intercepted in the Colts loss as well as missing some important assignments that game.............apparently he has continued his pattern of having a difficult time with assignments in practices.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Is it possible Coutee is in the doghouse for always running the wrong routes?
A couple of weeks ago, I made the comment whenever you see two WRs in the same vicinity on a pass play, Coutee always seems to be one of the WRs. In another game, there was a play where he was suppose to run a quick out route. He ran a sloppy pattern that looked like a hook and out. He rounded off the pattern, was slow getting out of the break and messed up the timing of the play. Those are the things that will get you in the dog house.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
A couple of weeks ago, I made the comment whenever you see two WRs in the same vicinity on a pass play, Coutee always seems to be one of the WRs. In another game, there was a play where he was suppose to run a quick out route. He ran a sloppy pattern that looked like a hook and out. He rounded off the pattern, was slow getting out of the break and messed up the timing of the play. Those are the things that will get you in the dog house.
I don’t remember, was he healthy for off-season workouts, OTAs, camp? If so, they didn’t notice his bad route running then?

Or maybe they did and getting Stills was more to replace Coutee than insurance for Fuller, but then you should have tried to get something for Coutee.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can see that. Last season so much of the offense was Watson magic that as long as Coutee got open it didn't matter.

But this year, Watson's been trying to get the ball out on time & guys need to be where they need to be.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don’t remember, was he healthy for off-season workouts, OTAs, camp? If so, they didn’t notice his bad route running then?

Or maybe they did and getting Stills was more to replace Coutee than insurance for Fuller, but then you should have tried to get something for Coutee.
I think Stills signing was a blow to Keke's confidence.