"...Now if you'll excuse us, the Texans are having an old friend for dinner"

29za6bk.jpg

fromNFLcom_logo.gif
Picks

cbssports-logo.png
Picks

espn_logo.jpg
Picks

The Houston Texans used a strong defensive effort to snap a 14-game losing streak in the opener, but the victory cost them the top overall draft pick for at least a quarter of the season.

Even without Jadeveon Clowney, they could be poised for another stingy performance facing the Oakland Raiders.

Coach Bill O'Brien believes former first-round selection Whitney Mercilus can continue to fill in at a high level as the Texans look to end a seven-game road losing streak Sunday against the offensively challenged Raiders.

The Raiders dropped their final six games after that matchup, and the outlook this season doesn't appear much brighter after a 19-14 road loss to the Jets last Sunday. Despite new starters at running back and quarterback after failing to crack 300 yards in seven games in 2013, Oakland was held to 158 last weekend with 25 yards on 15 carries and just 72 passing until scoring on its final drive.

A revamped offensive line gave few holes to Maurice Jones-Drew (nine rushes, 11 yards) and forced rookie Derek Carr, who beat out former Texan Matt Schaub in the preseason, to get rid of the ball quickly. Carr was 20 of 32 for 151 yards with two touchdowns, though he was sacked twice and only three of his completions traveled more than 10 yards downfield.

A new-look defensive front allowed the Jets to rush for 212 yards in Oakland's seventh straight defeat - its longest slide since dropping 11 in a row between 2006-07.

What I need to see:

Keep Oakland's ground attack...well, grounded.

MJD and that OL had a rough, rough day last Sunday. Jets had A LOT to do with that, of course. That being said, momentum and confidence do wonders for teams, especially in their home opener.

Turn Arian loose on the Raiders

Raiders have a shaky run D (I won't call it BAD, because there was a 71 yard TD run in there thanks to 3 missed tackles, including one defender tackling his own guy), so it can be indeed had. Feature Arian in the run and pass game; make the Raiders prove they can stop him.

Keep forcing turnovers!

Currently, the squad is +1. How about we get to +3 after this one?

More special teams goodness

We might have something with these guys. Let's watch and see what they give us this week. Last week was about as good as we could ask for. (I have a theory on them, but I'll only bring it up with a W.)

Thank goodness that week is over, huh? So much non-football stuff. Back to the field we go, and we go into a place where we've seen our squad grab some Ws and celebrate. Did a phenomenal job last week of keeping the 'Skins at bay, now we head to the bay. Ha, well, y'all know the rules, fam: 1-0 every week! Let's get to Oakland, snag this W, and head to the home of last season's Super Bowl 2-0! IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEEEEEEE!!!

02-CBS-L-V3.png

Kansas City @ Denver -- Jim Nantz, Phil Simms [AK; HI] (Red)
NY Jets @ Green Bay -- Greg Gumbel, Trent Green (Blue)
Houston @ Oakland -- Andrew Catalon, Steve Tasker, Steve Beuerlein (Green)
NO GAME due to NFL rules (Grey)

Referee: Brad Allen (Rookie)

Flip Card: PDF

THE HOUSTON TEXANS
• Can improve to 2-0 to start the season for the fifth consecutive season
• Can improve to 6-3 all-time against Oakland
• Can improve to 4-1 all-time at Oakland

The Raiders dropped their final six games after that matchup, and the outlook this season doesn't appear much brighter after a 19-14 road loss to the Jets last Sunday. Despite new starters at running back and quarterback after failing to crack 300 yards in seven games in 2013, Oakland was held to 158 last weekend with 25 yards on 15 carries and just 72 passing until scoring on its final drive.

I'll be watching those numbers. Surely they've addressed a few issues & should perform better. Hopefully our defense can show them a few new wrinkles.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Now that is getting a jump on things

Looks like there's still some Raiders' pride left.

20140828_pjc_aj8_727.JPG.0_standard_783.0.jpg

The official word has come down and the Raiders have sold out their 2014 season home opener against the Houston Texans on Sunday. This means the game will be televised locally in the Bay Area.

This is now 11-straight games which have been televised locally for the Raiders. The last blacked out home game came against Cleveland in week 13 of the 2012 season.

Helping matter tremendously was are the tarps which were added this season to cover up the most upper portions of the stadium which include Mt Davis and a couple sections of the third deck adjacent to it. It brought the attendance down from 63,000 to about 54,000.

Probably gonna be loud, them Raiders fans know how to represent. .. I hope all you traveling Texans make it out alive.

Reactions: JB
I hate the late games! Look out for some trickeration this game.
Who's doing the trickeration?

I'm disappointed the Texans (seemingly) won't face Schaub. I was looking for some closure.

I'm a little scared of Derek Carr. If he has a good game in him, Carr will want it to be against the Texans.

Shaking my head at the CBS Dallas affiliate not showing the Texans (as usual). Can you imagine KHOU not showing the Cowboys? Go ahead Metroplex and watch the blowout in Denver. You'll be missing the most competitive and interesting game of the afternoon.

I hate late games lol. We need another win and more importantly a better looking outing. I want to see our offense improve and be more consistent and see our defense tighten up on the run.

I'm disappointed the Texans (seemingly) won't face Schaub. I was looking for some closure.

I'm a little scared of Derek Carr. If he has a good game in him, Carr will want it to be against the Texans.

Shaking my head at the CBS Dallas affiliate not showing the Texans (as usual). Can you imagine KHOU not showing the Cowboys? Go ahead Metroplex and watch the blowout in Denver. You'll be missing the most competitive and interesting game of the afternoon.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling someone is going to try a trick play. Probably the Raiders because that coaching staff is on the hot seat. I don't see O'Brien as a trick play kind of guy.

The Raiders WR's are horrible, and our pass rush should rattle Carr more than the Jets did, and our back end is better than the Jets IMO.

Yea they are America's team, and have many more fans than the Texans do nationwide so it's understandable I suppose. I don't have to worry about that because I have NFL Game Pass. I will be watching the Jags vs Skins and the Pats vs Vikings on the PIP and switch back and fourth.

:fans:

Yea they are America's team, and have many more fans than the Texans do nationwide so it's understandable I suppose.
The Raiders aren't even NoCal's team.

How many teams claim to be America's Team? The Cowboys (the original self promoters). The Pack. The Pats. Probably a half dozen others who make the claim. To paraphrase the late, great Bum Phillips, I just want the Texans to be Texas' team.

I was referring to the Cowboys when Lucky said "CBS Dallas affiliate not showing the Texans (as usual). Can you imagine KHOU not showing the Cowboys?"
Oh. Well, the Cowboys haven't been good for 5 or 6 years, but they've never been left off (unless there was a Texan conflict). Dallas has never embraced the Texans. Snobbery, me thinks.

Lol @ Pete Prisco. He's gonna pick against us all year. Especially since we messed up his prediction that we wouldn't win a game until week 11.

I was referring to the Cowboys when Lucky said "CBS Dallas affiliate not showing the Texans (as usual). Can you imagine KHOU not showing the Cowboys?"

Since the Cowboys are in the NFC and Fox shows NFC games, I can certainly imagine this.

The Raiders aren't even NoCal's team.

How many teams claim to be America's Team? The Cowboys (the original self promoters). The Pack. The Pats. Probably a half dozen others who make the claim. To paraphrase the late, great Bum Phillips, I just want the Texans to be Texas' team.

Given that the PSL owners up in Arlington are dumping their tickets to make some of their money back, I wonder how many Texans fans will be in the stands in a few weeks. The 49rs fans damn near took it over last week.

I like watching Arian run as much as the next fan, but I'd kill to see a line like ...

Foster 16 - 89 - 1
Grimes 10 - 52 - 1
Blue 8 - 54 - 1
----------------------
RB's 34 - 195 - 3

... or something to that effect.

Last edited:
I like watching Arian fun as much as the next fan, but I'd kill to see a line like ...

Foster 16 - 89 - 1
Grimes 10 - 52 - 1
Blue 8 - 54 - 1
----------------------
RB's 34 - 195 - 3

... or something to that effect.

I don't think you'll see that kind of division barring injury. Unless Foster falters OB all but said he was going to ride him.

Blowout or not, besides Texans fans like you and me, who would really want to see Fitzy instead of Manning ?

I hate the late game. Why should we have to suffer with the late kickoff when the Raiders(and the entire state of CA) are the ones who suck.

Garrett Graham is active and C.J. Fiedorowicz isn't..

The Texans' Week 2 inactives are S Shiloh Keo, TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, OLB Jadeveon Clowney, QB Tom Savage, WR DeVier Posey, OT Jeff Adams, and NT Louis Nix.

Titans and Jaggies lost for us today. We could be alone in 1st place after just two weeks! LOL

Back