Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Khelar

Rookie
Mahomes nor Allen were thought of as that type of guy when they were drafted.

they declined 5th year option, 22,000,000 which would have been cheaper than franchise tag, so doubt it very much.
Didnt they decline that last offseason before he had his little coming out party this year? Minds may have changed there

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Me, I’ve come off the desire of landing Payton. If Payton wanted the Texans, he should’ve started talks as to how he and the Texans would like to structure a deal. Next, if Loomis is seeking more than a single pick….then Payton can stay with the Saints until he cost nothing in assets to sign.

I’ve paired my focus down to Gannon or Ryans. Gannon is my favorite at the moment b/c of the speculated coordinator’s he could bring with him.

In all honesty, Texans couldn’t go wrong with either guy. Both are young and would be highly respected. I believe both could put together solid staffs. The good thing, either Coach couldn’t ask for a better landing spot to start their respective HC’ing careers.
I'm still very skeptical as to why McNair and crew didn't pack up and interview Ryans in person............if for no other reason than to show respect.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Or was it because after 30 minutes they decided to play Call of Duty instead? :gamer:
It's been leaked on the street is that two of those hours was Cal wanting Demeco to watch him climb a tree.

I wanted B OB at the time.

That alone disqualifies me from having an opinion. :thumbdown

:coffee:
'eh, I still maintain that O'Brien wasn't the worst coach in the world. :tomato:

Terrible GM and world class a-hole, of course, but he was able to win games with an assortment of below average QBs. He won more division titles (4) than our beloved Gary Kubiak (2), fwiw.

Texian

Hall of Fame
This would be very low on my list of reasons to hire Demeco. Therefore I'm pretty sure they will be very high on why Cal will hire Demeco.

I like Gannon and Kalfka over Demeco. Although I think Demeco is very good at what he does. The HC candidate that can put together the best staff is who I want as the next HC. Whether that be Demeco or not. I was a no to Demeco when I read that Lynn was his proposed OC. Now if LaFluer or one of Kubiak's kids become OC under Demeco then I can quickly get on board the Demeco train.
Nobody has any idea what kind of coach DeMeco will be. His coaching experience is shallow and he inherited the best Defense in the NFL.

I'm on the Kafka train and if we're playing the coordinators' game I think Kafka/Nagy/Fangio would be a home run.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nobody has any idea what kind of coach DeMeco will be. His coaching experience is shallow and he inherited the best Defense in the NFL.

I'm on the Kafka train and if we're playing the coordinators' game I think Kafka/Nagy/Fangio would be a home run.
I like the idea of Demeco, but I'd rather see them have consistency and continuity with their offensive scheme when developing a young QB. Kafka would be that coach.

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's been leaked on the street is that two of those hours was Cal wanting Demeco to watch him climb a tree.

'eh, I still maintain that O'Brien wasn't the worst coach in the world. :tomato:

Terrible GM and world class a-hole, of course, but he was able to win games with an assortment of below average QBs. He won more division titles (4) than our beloved Gary Kubiak (2), fwiw.
To your division title comments, O'Brien wasn't facing Manning twice a year and had difficulty against .500 or >.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
From Fansided:

Jonathan Gannon is just another bad idea for the Arizona Cardinals

There’s been a lot of head scratching hate on Gannon led by a couple of look-at-me Philly radio guys and some fans following along. Phillyfan always has to hate somebody, even on their best sports teams. It is a hallmark of the dumbassery that is Philadelphia.

There’s two types of defensive philosophies: what I call funnel D that keeps things in front of them, or attacking D like a Buddy Ryan zone blitzing scheme that if you don’t get home in time you give up big plays. As teams play more hurryup, as QB overall can get the ball out much faster than even just 10 years ago, defensive analytics have defenses tilted more toward funnel philosophies.

If you have the personnel with the requisite smarts, funnel Ds with disguise zone coverages give QB the most fits. You saw it with Depredator almost every snap, zone coverages caused him to hesitate over and over again forcing him to make plays off schedule. If Mahomes has a bad game, and he’s not injured, it’s against disguised zone coverages. If you can force a play off schedule, that’s a win for the D philosophically.

What most don’t know about Gannon is that before 2021 offseason Philadelphia had to make some decisions whether they were going to use primary assets to go heavy on offense or heavy on defense… they had too many needs on both sides of the ball. JG stepped up and volunteered to get less on D so Howie could focus on fixing the O. So JG took alot of arrows because of a lack of talent depth, because fans wouldn’t know talent if it was standing on their front porch. He took one for the betterment of the whole. That has carried over.

HC Nick Sirianni yesterday addressed the Gannon slander directly in his presser with a WTF? and called out some media by name. He said other team’s coaches are asking him with incredulity, Does JG really get isht from your fanbase???

Difference between DeMeco and Gannon is Cap has an uber talented and deep defensive roster. Philly is still a victim of Howie’s continual bad drafting forcing them to make rescue deals for other talent acquisition. You saw it captured on video a while back when longtime front office guy Tom Donahoe threw his hands up in disgust in the Philly warroom after a Howie pick with Howie trying to make everybody look excited for the cameras. Nobody pressures media and massages the narrative more than Roseman. He’s excellent at it. He has to be, because he among the worst drafting GMs.

Don’t get caught up in bullisht coming from Fansided, literally the lowest rung on the sport media ladder. That guy’s an id!ot. NFL personnel folks which I’ve asked think very highly of JG. Does that guarantee his success in Houston? Not if Hannah and Cal involve themselves in football decisions.
I almost quit reading the article after the second sentence he says AZ interviewing Glenn and Joseph were a waste of time, they're doing it to satisfy the Rooney rule moron.

Khelar

Rookie
I'm still very skeptical as to why McNair and crew didn't pack up and interview Ryans in person............if for no other reason than to show respect.
Saw a report about Caserio saying something along the lines of “during this process we also want to respect what teams are trying to accomplish in the playoffs”. Could just be a case of trying to make as few waves as possible for a team preparing for a playoff game.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Saw a report about Caserio saying something along the lines of “during this process we also want to respect what teams are trying to accomplish in the playoffs”. Could just be a case of trying to make as few waves as possible for a team preparing for a playoff game.
Time spent is time spent, whether by zoom or in person.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
To your division title comments, O'Brien wasn't facing Manning twice a year and had difficulty against .500 or >.
True, but same could be said for the other head coaches in the AFC south at the time, as well.

btw, Gary Kubiak did not win the AFC south until Manning was injured and not playing for the Colts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True, but same could be said for the other head coaches in the AFC south at the time, as well.

btw, Gary Kubiak did not win the AFC south until Manning was injured and not playing for the Colts.
Some people only remember what they want to remember.

The past history of this franchise never was as good as some here make it out to be.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Those picks aren't wasted.

Do you expect rookies to not get hurt and play like all pros?
Stingley hasn't played like his freshman in college since his lisfranc, an injury that is likely a career shortener. And Green was atrocious in pass pro. Getting your butt run over is not a rookie mistake.

The truth about Stingley is neither Lovie or Caserio made the decision to draft Stingley. That was Lovie's defensive coaches debating Sauce vs Stingley right up until the Texans were on the clock before those coaches came to a decision.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stingley hasn't played like his freshman in college since his lisfranc, an injury that is likely a career shortener. And Green was atrocious in pass pro. Getting your butt run over is not a rookie mistake.

The truth about Stingley is neither Lovie or Caserio made the decision to draft Stingley. That was Lovie's defensive coaches debating Sauce vs Stingley right up until the Texans were on the clock before those coaches came to a decision.
I thought you said Lovie was making the final calls on the draft picks. No doubt it was a screwup and being honest this is what you get when you have a GM that has never been around the system Lovie was running. With that said Caserio should have pulled rank and drafted Sauce.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I thought you said Lovie was making the final calls on the draft picks. No doubt it was a screwup and being honest this is what you get when you have a GM that has never been around the system Lovie was running. With that said Caserio should have pulled rank and drafted Sauce.
This is what you get when hiring an admin clerk who knows absolutely nothing about being a GM to be your GM.

Texian

Hall of Fame
This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but Caserio as a GM is a laughing stock throughout the NFL. You can take your top 3 HC candidates and write them off because Caserio is the GM. He's a job killer and has the resume to prove it.