Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I can get behind DeMeco and I would love the symmetry of how much better the team became when we drafted him with hopefully the same (but better) happening with him as HC.
I wonder what his offensive staff would look like? Take it it would be heavily WCO off the Shannehan (and therefore Kubiak) tree. I also wonder if he would bring Jimmy G with him to tide us over at QB and allow us to get better elsewhere first through the draft.

Xopher

Rookie
I saw somewhere, maybe heard on the radio and it may have been Cal saying it, but once NC has made his choice, he presents it to Cal for his approval.
Yep. Just like Nick presented Gannon last year. Cal maybe said "Okay", but the caveat was keeping Lovie. Gannon bailed

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I like several of the candidates.

I lean toward an offensive coach.

To complicate things though, I am hoping for a heavy defensive draft. :D

Go figure.

:coffee:
I'm hoping they draft linemen, one O and one D with the first two picks. Unless they draft two defensive linemen, I'd like that as well. That would be a hell of a defensive line.

I'm of the philosophy that when rebuilding, you rebuild from the inside out with both lines. The rest of all of it comes afterwards. Including the QB. If you have a good O-line your QB will have a better chance to perform whoever he is.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I'm hoping they draft linemen, one O and one D with the first two picks. Unless they draft two defensive linemen, I'd like that as well. That would be a hell of a defensive line.

I'm of the philosophy that when rebuilding, you rebuild from the inside out with both lines. The rest of all of it comes afterwards. Including the QB. If you have a good O-line your QB will have a better chance to perform whoever he is.
I know you disagree, but I haven't given upon Mills. Yet.

If we draft a QB I just think it should be late.
I like Duggan because he seems to be tough enough to take the pounding Houston QB's endure. Lot's of grit.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I know you disagree, but I haven't given upon Mills. Yet.

If we draft a QB I just think it should be late.
I like Duggan because he seems to be tough enough to take the pounding Houston QB's endure. Lot's of grit.

If there was a Mahomes, Lawrence or Josh Allen in this draft, I would have given up on Mills after week 5 or 6. Because there isn't, I haven't given up on him.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I watched a couple of TCU games and liked the play of Duggan.

I haven't watched any Cougar games so I haven't seen Tune play.

I guess me suggesting Duggan is more of an anti-early QB pick than anything else.

Suppose it is more about drafting for a better backup than what we have. No allusions about him becoming a starter.

Probably makes more sense to scour the WW. idonno: I just like Duggan in the later rounds.

Doesn't anyone believe that it would be wise to see how San Fran (Ryans) fares against Philly (Gannon) before making any final decision?
I think both Ryans and Gannon will be asked for a second interview. Now whether or not the FO makes the final decision after the divisional championship games remains to be seen.

IMHO coaching announcements will start being made after 1/30

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I watched a couple of TCU games and liked the play of Duggan.

I haven't watched any Cougar games so I haven't seen Tune play.

I guess me suggesting Duggan is more of an anti-early QB pick than anything else.

Suppose it is more about drafting for a better backup than what we have. No allusions about him becoming a starter.

Probably makes more sense to scour the WW. idonno: I just like Duggan in the later rounds.

will continue later date in draft forum.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Mills sucks Elephant balls. You're never getting a decent HC in here if you're selling him on the idea that Mills is the guy we want for another year. That's absolutely never going to happen in 10 million lifetimes. Mills is terrible and wouldn't start on 31 other teams...but ya let's give him 100 starts because you know...lack of experience.

Getting back to some form of reality...

I had a dream candidate this fall before any speculation started, and his name was Demeco Ryans. After Lovie was predictably jettisoned I wanted an OC...with one exception, and this was the one and only DC that I felt was worth the exception. He'll be the best HC this team has ever had. I'm crossing my fingers, my toes, and the one hair that's left on my head is tied in a bow hoping that I don't jinx it.

He's the guy that will take this team to levels it's never achieved. Now does he need some help...of course. Nick needs to draft well, and they need to get the QB right at 1.2. I'm hoping for Young, but Stroud has good upside as well. Only Jesus can turn water into wine. But if Nick gets most of these high picks right, Demeco will turn this thing around so that by 2024 we're a real contender.

So, I've been on the Ryans bandwagon for months. He's the guy I want and I'd be more pumped for that move than any HC we've had by far. If for some reason, Demeco turns the gig down, I'm going after Shane Steichen, and I can get solidly behind that guy. I think he could do some really good things too, but Ryans has that it factor that really separates him from the field.

There's really nobody else I'm interested in seriously. I want Ryans or Shane...preferably Ryans.

But If Shane also turns down the gig, I suppose Gannon would be ok...but I have serious doubts about him taking this team to the promised land. But in this group of 7, I suppose he's in 3rd place for me. Mr. big head is 4th. But he's yesterday's news and will cost us too much in draft capital, which is why I have him 4th. I could get behind Sean, but only if the draft capital is reasonable. 1.12 BUT...with a pick back, like their 3rd. Or you can have 2.2. Still...I'd rather have Ryans straight up even on an apples to apples comparison. Ryans is a star HC in the making.

After that list of 4, I'm telling the other 3, thanks for the interview but we're not interested at this time.

zshawn10

All Pro

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Thing that gets me about Demeco is that if he fails as Texans coach it'll be the first time he's failed at any spot in his football career.

Get Demeco, sign Garoppolo or Carr to a one or two year prove it deal and see what can happen, draft trenches or skill positions with 2 and 12, take a QB project late to compete and learn from Garoppolo or Carr, and if we suck next year we'll have a high enough pick to go QB anyway. I think both of those QB have something to offer and may be able to with a change of scenery and the right direction.

I mean that's just one way.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Its strange to me that Lou Anarumo has not been a hot name for head coaching jobs. His defenses have shut down Mahomes the last two years and just shut down Josh Allen.
Someone else was saying that too in Twitter. Forgot where. Maybe he's someone who's content being coordinator? I don't know.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Mills sucks Elephant balls. You're never getting a decent HC in here if you're selling him on the idea that Mills is the guy we want for another year. That's absolutely never going to happen in 10 million lifetimes. Mills is terrible and wouldn't start on 31 other teams...but ya let's give him 100 starts because you know...lack of experience.

Getting back to some form of reality...

I had a dream candidate this fall before any speculation started, and his name was Demeco Ryans. After Lovie was predictably jettisoned I wanted an OC...with one exception, and this was the one and only DC that I felt was worth the exception. He'll be the best HC this team has ever had. I'm crossing my fingers, my toes, and the one hair that's left on my head is tied in a bow hoping that I don't jinx it.

He's the guy that will take this team to levels it's never achieved. Now does he need some help...of course. Nick needs to draft well, and they need to get the QB right at 1.2. I'm hoping for Young, but Stroud has good upside as well. Only Jesus can turn water into wine. But if Nick gets most of these high picks right, Demeco will turn this thing around so that by 2024 we're a real contender.

So, I've been on the Ryans bandwagon for months. He's the guy I want and I'd be more pumped for that move than any HC we've had by far. If for some reason, Demeco turns the gig down, I'm going after Shane Steichen, and I can get solidly behind that guy. I think he could do some really good things too, but Ryans has that it factor that really separates him from the field.

There's really nobody else I'm interested in seriously. I want Ryans or Shane...preferably Ryans.

But If Shane also turns down the gig, I suppose Gannon would be ok...but I have serious doubts about him taking this team to the promised land. But in this group of 7, I suppose he's in 3rd place for me. Mr. big head is 4th. But he's yesterday's news and will cost us too much in draft capital, which is why I have him 4th. I could get behind Sean, but only if the draft capital is reasonable. 1.12 BUT...with a pick back, like their 3rd. Or you can have 2.2. Still...I'd rather have Ryans straight up even on an apples to apples comparison. Ryans is a star HC in the making.

After that list of 4, I'm telling the other 3, thanks for the interview but we're not interested at this time.
Hard to argue against Ryans. He’s a leader of men which is natural for him. He appears to have “it” and I very badly want that for us. Can he put together a staff that will outperform the crap staffs we’ve had lately, carry his message and be innovative enough to get us where we want to go? I‘d hope so, the bar feels low. Add to that NC has to knock it out of the park……

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Me, I’ve come off the desire of landing Payton. If Payton wanted the Texans, he should’ve started talks as to how he and the Texans would like to structure a deal. Next, if Loomis is seeking more than a single pick….then Payton can stay with the Saints until he cost nothing in assets to sign.

I’ve paired my focus down to Gannon or Ryans. Gannon is my favorite at the moment b/c of the speculated coordinator’s he could bring with him.

In all honesty, Texans couldn’t go wrong with either guy. Both are young and would be highly respected. I believe both could put together solid staffs. The good thing, either Coach couldn’t ask for a better landing spot to start their respective HC’ing careers.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Thing that gets me about Demeco is that if he fails as Texans coach it'll be the first time he's failed at any spot in his football career.

Get Demeco, sign Garoppolo or Carr to a one or two year prove it deal and see what can happen, draft trenches or skill positions with 2 and 12, take a QB project late to compete and learn from Garoppolo or Carr, and if we suck next year we'll have a high enough pick to go QB anyway. I think both of those QB have something to offer and may be able to with a change of scenery and the right direction.

I mean that's just one way.
Texans would be a good landing spot for Garoppolo. He and Mills would get to compete for the QB1 job b/c neither one of them should have it handed to them.

And for those that already know what I’m going to say, Hendon Hooker is my target in the draft since pre-injury, he’s a RD1 QB who’s probably walking away with the Heisman Trophy….now he’s a post injury QB in the draft that could be there in RD2 or early RD3. He’s far to talented to ignore at that point of the draft.

pirbroke

Veteran
Texans would be a good landing spot for Garoppolo. He and Mills would get to compete for the QB1 job b/c neither one of them should have it handed to them.

And for those that already know what I’m going to say, Hendon Hooker is my target in the draft since pre-injury, he’s a RD1 QB who’s probably walking away with the Heisman Trophy….now he’s a post injury QB in the draft that could be there in RD2 or early RD3. He’s far to talented to ignore at that point of the draft.
Y’all probably going to laugh at me again but when I watch Hendon throw they just look pretty, like Warren Moon Pretty. Yea I know you scouts could care less about that. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I wouldn't mind Jimmy G here - but if he does come, he will be your starter and Mills will be backup.
In that scenario, you could take Hooker and let him heal and learn. Or take a flyer on another guy further down.

vtech9

All Pro
Y’all probably going to laugh at me again but when I watch Hendon throw they just look pretty, like Warren Moon Pretty. Yea I know you scouts could care less about that. Carry on

The way the draft sims are working, it looks like Hooker will be available in the 4th round. I think we have other needs we can get there though.

OptimisticTexan

Jimmy G is just a step up from Tyrod Taylor. Swear, are we immune to medical red flags?
Garoppolo might be the cheapest, best and most injured of the available QB1's in 2023. If he and Mills could take care of the Texans in 2023, I'd be a-okay with that. Garoppolo starts when healthy and mentors the Texans young QB's when he's on the sideline. That could be a positive any way we choose to look at it.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Garoppolo might be the cheapest, best and most injured of the available QB1's in 2023. If he and Mills could take care of the Texans 2023, I'd be a-okay with that. Garoppolo starts when healthy and mentors the Texans young QB's when he's on the sideline. That could be a positive any way we choose to look at it.
Great idea to bring in veteran leadership at the important position.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So that makes him out for you?

I get Texans fans getting all goo goo about him, and he's not my first choice, but he seems to be as qualified as anybody else.
Th thing about DeMeco is that in a sense he's kinda a favorite son though certainly not the same as the real favorite son who coached here once, one G. Kubiack.
The Texans drafted him, he lived in our community and played here several years and he married at true favorite daughter as wife Jamil is native Houstonian.
So there's a pretty high level of familiarity and comfort with him, and genuine fondness for DeMeco while the other candidates are basically all strangers.
Now whether or not all of this makes Demeco a better Houston Texans HC candidate than the others, well probably not necessarily.

OptimisticTexan

If the Texans could get Hooker in RD3 instead of Young, Stroud, or Levis in RD1.....I'd like the potential impact position player obtained in RD1 while enjoying the fact that the team was able to get a RD1 talent QB in RD3.

Porky

Hall of Fame
If I live to be 150, I’ll never understand the Mills love around these parts. He wouldn’t start on 31 other teams, but over here he has unlimited potential just waiting to be tapped. I’m beginning to think he has compromising photos of some of you. Y’all get a room or something, but leave me out of that threesome. He stinks and needs to be jettisoned into the universe so he can become a salesman or the long neck man at the traveling circus.

I also don’t get the jimmy G bandwagon. We want an oft-injured game manager whose story has been written in terms of ceiling? Why? He will want to be the unquestioned starter here. So this is likely in lieu of a young dynamic playmaker at QB at 1.2. At this stage of his career, he still wants to be “the guy”. He isn’t coming here to be an aging vet caretaker/unofficial QB coach. He has his own ego he is trying to massage. It’s totally nonsensical to me.

Bah humbug! And get off my lawn lol 😂

vtech9

All Pro
If I live to be 150, I’ll never understand the Mills love around these parts. He wouldn’t start on 31 other teams, but over here he has unlimited potential just waiting to be tapped. I’m beginning to think he has compromising photos of some of you. Y’all get a room or something, but leave me out of that threesome. He stinks and needs to be jettisoned into the universe so he can become a salesman or the long neck man at the traveling circus.

I also don’t get the jimmy G bandwagon. We want an oft-injured game manager whose story has been written in terms of ceiling? Why? He will want to be the unquestioned starter here. So this is likely in lieu of a young dynamic playmaker at QB at 1.2. At this stage of his career, he still wants to be “the guy”. He isn’t coming here to be an aging vet caretaker/unofficial QB coach. He has his own ego he is trying to massage. It’s totally nonsensical to me.

Bah humbug! And get off my lawn lol 😂
Likewise, I don't understand the love for Tiny Tim.

Actually, I think it is more likely that it isn't love for Davis Mills, but more of a not being sold on the QB's in the draft this year. I think it is more likely that the people wanting to run it back with Mills would rather wait to get their franchise QB in 2024, when a real franchise QB will be available.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
If there was a Mahomes, Lawrence or Josh Allen in this draft, I would have given up on Mills after week 5 or 6. Because there isn't, I haven't given up on him.
Mahomes nor Allen were thought of as that type of guy when they were drafted.
Kafka getting a 2nd interview with Texans, per Patrick Storm on Facebook

Last edited: