Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Titans' OC Arthur Smith has been mentioned as a long shot HC candidate. Anyone took notice of his offense in their win over the Texans? He was promoted when Matt Lafleur got the Packers' HC job. So, he is running the Shanny/Kubiak WCO. Thoughts?
If you're thinking WCO, see if you can persuade Kubiak to take the OC job with an extra title of HC Assistant and a promise of a job similar to Elway with the Broncos in the future.
That way, you can get his offensive line coach, too.
And Kubiak is very experienced with building/rebuilding an offense now.

Then hire a defensive minded HC.

Would that work?

If you're thinking WCO, see if you can persuade Kubiak to take the OC job with an extra title of HC Assistant and a promise of a job similar to Elway with the Broncos in the future.
That way, you can get his offensive line coach, too.
And Kubiak is very experienced with building/rebuilding an offense now.

Then hire a defensive minded HC.

Would that work?
Not a knock, but curious to know if a former HC has ever returned to a team in a lesser role?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Titans' OC Arthur Smith has been mentioned as a long shot HC candidate. Anyone took notice of his offense in their win over the Texans? He was promoted when Matt Lafleur got the Packers' HC job. So, he is running the Shanny/Kubiak WCO. Thoughts?
He's #1 on my list.

What I really hope they ask any of the HC candidates is, who can you get to come to Houston as your asst coaches. The person that has the best list would get the job. That's why Saleh is also high on my list.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Packers say hi. :kitten:
Could be a miscalculation as regards to time.
Could be a mistake that keep them from winning it all this year if they had used that pick for something else.

But yeah, there has been more than one team that had drafted a QB to eventually replace the incumbent, usually because they think their guy is getting long in the tooth, but they can still compete for another year or two.

It was exageration on my part to try to make a point.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
So let's say Peyton Manning (GM) or Kirby Smart (HC) agree to interview. They tell Cal that they would need full control including firing Easterby. In addition because the organization is so screwed up it will be year 3 before this team can be truly competitive so they will need a guaranteed 8 year contract, equivalent to highest paid contract in the league for their position. What does your boy Cal say?
He would say that’s very similar pitch to the guy I just fired.

mussop

Hall of Fame
We've watched DW4 for almost 4 years. Once they start playing better teams again I expect DW4 to revert back to his mean. He hasn't improved at all during these 4 yrs. In fact he's regressed and although the Jags game was badly needed by DW4 not much has changed in my mine. 2 ints will get you beat if you're playing a top tier teams.
Hes regressed? or could it be, the more O’Brien worked with him, the more O’Brien coached him the more he held him back. His first year he came in as a backup because OB was an idiot. He lit the league on fire. During the off-season O’Brien decided to throw out what was clearly working for his “masterpiece“ playbook. In other words his ego Got in the way.

in the last two games with O’Brien out if his head and more importantly Out of his ear, he has thrown for 749 yards and 7 tds and scored 30 or more both times.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hes regressed? or could it be, the more O’Brien worked with him, the more O’Brien coached him the more he held him back. His first year he came in as a backup because OB was an idiot. He lit the league on fire. During the off-season O’Brien decided to throw out what was clearly working for his “masterpiece“ playbook. In other words his ego Got in the way.

in the last two games with O’Brien out if his head and more importantly Out of his ear, he has thrown for 749 yards and 7 tds and scored 30 or more both times.
Like I said, I cant wait to see how he does next Sunday against the Pack. It's a step up in weight class and hopefully DW4 plays like he did against weaker defenses. (Jags/Tits) That would represent real progress.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Packers would be a step up as they have a better pass rush. That's what we need to test DW4. Pass rush & better secondary.
Tell me what I am missing.

3 out of 5 games GB has given up 30 or more points. The two teams that didn’t score thirty were Detroit (21) and Atlanta (10).

I didn’t look to see the running stats per game. And seeing that it was Minnesota, TB, and NO I don’t believe it were all games won on the ground. I could see MN won on the ground. Possibly NO.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Packers have a better D than Tennessee b/c they have a better pass rush....& what's more we get them as they're coming off a beat down against TB.................yay:hankpalm:

Shades of October 14th 2012 incoming.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Now it’s official. 76Texan has spoken
Just an educated guess after looking a little further beyond the numbers.

Also, I do follow the injury situation around the league from TC on; not totally, but I do have a better idea about them than those who don't.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
He's #1 on my list.

What I really hope they ask any of the HC candidates is, who can you get to come to Houston as your asst coaches. The person that has the best list would get the job. That's why Saleh is also high on my list.
If they hired Saleh, what would think of Kubiak as assistant HC/OC?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After the Vikes performance this yr I would pass.

The OL isn't set up o run the ZBS Kubiak loves to run.
It’s going to be 4 years before we can kick Watson to the curb, the new HC regime will have 6 years to get it right anyway... why not?

It’s going to be a long 4 years

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Nah, I always warn people.
People on the board should know by now about my view about stats, ever since TexanMike and I talked about it on the forum.
He specializes in statistic for the military.
And I semi-specialize in it for Transplantation...stats are to be used in conjunction with what you see in practice..in this case on tape....sometimes they lie, but most times they tell the correct story...you just need to know where and how to look to understand them in the proper context. But the numbers still are what they are.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And I semi-specialize in it for Transplantation...stats are to be used in conjunction with what you see in practice..in this case on tape....sometimes they lie, but most times they tell the correct story...you just need to know where and how to look to understand them in the proper context. But the numbers still are what they are.
As long as they are good numbers to begin with.
And with that, there's already a problem.
Let say D.Brown is playing week 5 and he got injured.
He might give up 5 pressures that day
The numbers are there, but they do not reflect his true ability.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
As long as they are good numbers to begin with.
And with that, there's already a problem.
Let say D.Brown is playing week 5 and he got injured.
He might give up 5 pressures that day
The numbers are there, but they do not reflect his true ability.
Right but what you tend to do is ignore or downplay the numbers when they don’t support your evaluation.

Using your example, whose to say that those 5 pressures are difinitively because of his injury and not because of some other reason like him just getting his ass beat, a bad match up......or him just falling over the hill?

So in that regard, you automatically giving him a pass b/c in your mind you have decided that those 5 pressures given up were b/c of his injury is purely a subjective determination on your part to support your analysis of what YOU think is the cause. This is exactly what you should not do.

The numbers still reflect that he gave them up.

Furthermore, “true ability” is rather unquantifiable and is a moving target. Past performance isn’t a predictor of future results.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Right but what you tend to do is ignore or downplay the numbers when they don’t support your evaluation.

Using your example, whose to say that those 5 pressures are difinitively because of his injury and not because of some other reason like him just getting his ass beat, a bad match up......or him just falling over the hill?

So in that regard, you automatically giving him a pass b/c in your mind you have decided that those 5 pressures given up were b/c of his injury is purely a subjective determination on your part to support your analysis of what YOU think is the cause. This is exactly what you should not do.

Furthermore, “true ability” is rather unquantifiable and is a moving target. Past performance isn’t a predictor of future results.
Perhaps I should use the term "may not" instead.
In another word, I want to question the integrity of the data.
What if they are?
What if 1, 2, 3 of them are?

I'm not concerned about predicting future results.

A different example could be the yardage amassed by a QB in garbage time.
When a team is so bad it always trail by multiple scores after one half of football.
The opponents continue to score at will in the second half, they're willing to play softer on defense.
Should we count all those yardage gained by the QB as a good number?
Or the meaningless TD at the end of the games.
Let's go to the extreme and say that the QB averages a TD pass each game during "regular" play. 16TDs for the whole season.
Then he scores another TD in garbage time in each game.
That's a total of 32 TDs for the whole season.
All of a sudden, he now ranks quite highly among all QBs.
But can we say that he's a good QB?
Another example might be strength of schedule.
Team A plays the most difficult schedule and ends the season with a 4-12 record.
Team B plays the least difficult schedule and ends up with the same record?
Does the raw number reflects the true state of those two teams?
There are countless of examples/situations to show that data without context may not be reliable.
Or at least to question whether the data are actually as meaningful as they appear to be.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Another example that is familiar around here is Watson's stats for this year.
His raw numbers in the first 3 games vs. the numbers in the last 3 (or 2, depending on what people like to use).

That example clearly demonstrates that people don't trust the raw data in the last two games even though they're there in black and white.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Another example that is familiar around here is Watson's stats for this year.
His raw numbers in the first 3 games vs. the numbers in the last 3 (or 2, depending on what people like to use).

That example clearly demonstrates that people don't trust the raw data in the last two games even though they're there in black and white.
I think it’s more of them trying to continually push their specific agenda. I’ve seen even the great Tom Brady struggle against elite physical punch you in the mouth defenses. Just last week A. Rodgers struggled big time against the Buccaneers. Drew Brees has always struggled against elite defenses as well. I can go on all day. But for some reason some expects Watson to light up these elite defenses. If he doesn’t, then he hasn’t improved. These last two weeks Watson and that offense played way better than they did in the first 4 weeks. It was like night and day.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think it’s more of them trying to continually push their specific agenda. I’ve seen even the great Tom Brady struggle against elite physical punch you in the mouth defenses. Just last week A. Rodgers struggled big time against the Buccaneers. Drew Brees has always struggled against elite defenses as well. I can go on all day. But for some reason some expects Watson to light up these elite defenses. If he doesn’t, then he hasn’t improved. These last two weeks Watson and that offense played way better than they did in the first 4 weeks. It was like night and day.
I don't totally blame them.
The grass iz always greener on the other side and all.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
If they hired Saleh, what would think of Kubiak as assistant HC/OC?
Cousins is struggling with INTs this year, I also couldn’t help but notice the long drives that stutter in the red zone when we played MIN.

Osi and Jason Bell were saying that Todd Bowles needs another shot at HC. His D scheme is incredible. Look what he did to Rodgers.

Tenn’s OC seems to maximise the potential of everyone he coaches.,

Bieniemy im ok with hiring, but I do worry that Andy Reid is all over that offense so it’s a bit of a gamble.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I guess this is a similar stance you had about Ricky? Once Ricky left, it was no longer about Ricky and it was all about finding out if BOB could coach, calls plays and make personnel decisions without you mentioning Ricky or how much time BOB needed to overcome Ricky's incompetence and you never blamed Ricky for anything after he left. Right? :kitten:
If you believe like I do that DW4 will never win a championship and is an avg QB then yes RS legacy is that he will have screwed this franchise up for another decade after he left Kirby. This has nothing to do with BOB's career. BOB was his own worst enemy with his inflexibility. 51-7

Last edited:

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't mind Bowles. Intriguing name. Deserving of another shot at some point.

I never got the sense that what happened with the Jets was really his fault.

My only concern would be that he's a defensive mind and we need Watson to develop.